Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So I put up my 83 Suzuki gs750e in the fall according to the CA recommendations in this thread. The bike ran perfectly in the fall, I put in a new battery and I've got spark, air, & compression. Even though I put sta-bil in the gas, I think the carbs are clogged. It will crank and sounds like it wants to turn over.

I know there's fuel in the bowls, but I think they might be overfilled since the fuel valve has a 'prime' setting. Its not really feasible to pull the carbs off at the moment, would I be able to get by if I drained the bowls and/or tank and put in fresh gas and sea foam?

One of the spark plug boots came off, too. I put it back on and it still sparks, is there a special way to reattach them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I winterized my bike... poorly. Learning experience and all. It's a 2007 Honda Shadow (750).

Battery is fine, I have a trickle charger and just yesterday topped it up (since I've been draining it trying to start). I put some fuel stabilizer in AFTER the winter, but not before. The stuff I added claimed it could remove moisture and "revitalize" bad gas.

The symptoms are bike won't start. Bike cranks faster when I give it throttle. It just keeps turning over (strongly) though. I have no idea where to start looking next, and I have limited resources (no garage, and condo association people are grumpy about doing work in the parking lot). Any suggestions?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

red19fire posted:

So I put up my 83 Suzuki gs750e in the fall according to the CA recommendations in this thread. The bike ran perfectly in the fall, I put in a new battery and I've got spark, air, & compression. Even though I put sta-bil in the gas, I think the carbs are clogged. It will crank and sounds like it wants to turn over.

I know there's fuel in the bowls, but I think they might be overfilled since the fuel valve has a 'prime' setting. Its not really feasible to pull the carbs off at the moment, would I be able to get by if I drained the bowls and/or tank and put in fresh gas and sea foam?

One of the spark plug boots came off, too. I put it back on and it still sparks, is there a special way to reattach them?

You mean the wire is popping out of the top of the boot or the boot just fell off? If it just fell off the plug put it back. If it keeps falling out of the top, clipping a few mm of wire to get to fresh, not buggered up lead helps.

As far as it starting, my 700e is cranky as poo poo to get started when it's been sitting for more than a few weeks. It will crank and crank and sound like it's going to catch but never actually start. I almost always have to take the air filter out and shoot a few spritzes of carb cleaner in there to get it to go. Once it's going it's perfectly fine again.
I just chalk it up to a cranky rear end 30 year old bike and expect to go through the ritual every time I park it for more than two weeks.

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

So , I have a rather sizable tear in the seat cover on my ex250.

The foam underneath seems to still be in-tacked so I'm thinking of just taking off the cover and getting a new one. So, 2 questions.

One, what is a good quality, durable fabric I can use for a seat cover? Two, how can I prevent this from happening again? Is there something I can apply to the seat when washing the bike to keep the cover from going brittle and cracking?

Thanks in advance.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Debugario posted:

The foam underneath seems to still be in-tacked so I'm thinking of just taking off the cover and getting a new one. So, 2 questions.

One, what is a good quality, durable fabric I can use for a seat cover? Two, how can I prevent this from happening again? Is there something I can apply to the seat when washing the bike to keep the cover from going brittle and cracking?

Thanks in advance.

When washing your bike, remove the seat, cover the electric bits in plastic, and then cover that in towels or rags with a final layer of plastic to keep everything dry.

Then shag carpet your seat cover.

tjones fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 27, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Debugario posted:

Thanks in advance.

Leather. No need to do anything to it, it'll last for years before having any issues. A saddler or upholsteror will be able to get you what you need.

e: can put Beeswax on it to help protect it, but it'll be slippery as poo poo when you go to sit on it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Shimrod posted:

Leather. No need to do anything to it, it'll last for years before having any issues. A saddler or upholsteror will be able to get you what you need.

e: can put Beeswax on it to help protect it, but it'll be slippery as poo poo when you go to sit on it.

Washing... your bike? :confused:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm pretty sure it's the sun that's making your seat cover crack not water. Unless you have really really hard water and hit the cover with really high pressures (joke).

I'd put a cover on your bike if you are going to be parking it in direct sun all day. I keep one at work because I've just changed my seat cover and windshield and my parking spot has absolutely no shade. I have a tree I try to park it under at home so it's somewhat out of the direct beating sun.

As for washing your bike, you'll get over that soon enough.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Linedance posted:

Washing... your bike? :confused:

I remember doing it once or twice in the time I've had it. Kind of seems pointless since it lasts a whole 100m down the road before it's back to dirty again.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
With pollen season it's almost more a a matter of time than distance.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Goddamn trees and their sex all over my tank :argh:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Has anyone here ridden the Triumph Tiger Explorer XC? I sat on one at the dealer and I liked it, it fits my huge frame pretty well. I like the idea of an adventure bike, and being and to go off-road if I want. I would road trip every weekend on something like that. Sexy biek

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you like it you should get it. All the mags seem to agree it's a good travel bike.

It'll be a handful off-road though.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I'm financing my current bike and wouldn't be able to afford it anyways. :(. A man can dream

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I winterized my bike... poorly. Learning experience and all. It's a 2007 Honda Shadow (750).

Battery is fine, I have a trickle charger and just yesterday topped it up (since I've been draining it trying to start). I put some fuel stabilizer in AFTER the winter, but not before. The stuff I added claimed it could remove moisture and "revitalize" bad gas.

The symptoms are bike won't start. Bike cranks faster when I give it throttle. It just keeps turning over (strongly) though. I have no idea where to start looking next, and I have limited resources (no garage, and condo association people are grumpy about doing work in the parking lot). Any suggestions?

How much gas is in there? I would look there first. If it's possible and you have half a tank (I'm guessing you can't drain it since you will get bitched at) fill it up with fresh gas from the gas station and try again. If you can drain it, I would just drain the tank and put in a gallon. If it starts, ride it, fill it up, and be happy. Do you have your choke open? I have a 99 Shadow 1100 and I need to have the choke open on it to start it. On my 06VTX1300 it starts with no choke needed. Do you have the gas knob pointed to the tank, and not off?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If the bike is carbed, there's good odds the gas or gas leftovers in your float bowls are gunked up and whatever you do to the gas in the tank won't do squat. I would check there before doing anything more intrusive.

That's why when you winterize it, after you put the stabilizer in, you need to run it a bit to get the stabilizer actually into the carb (or close the petcock and drain the carbs, for more effort.)

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
This is a surprisingly fast-moving thread.

Shimrod posted:

Give it a few months before you replace the fairing, you'll probably drop it again stupidly.
This makes sense. I guess I'll wait until winter to fix anything I goof this season.

quote:

Took me 2 years to drop any of my bikes, didn't drop my 1st ... dropped my 2nd twice within' a month both at pretty much a stop (backing up/about to do a turn, but barely moving).
I don't even really know what I did other than get careless. One moment I was on the thing tootling around at 2mph and three feet later I was standing next to it looking stupid. The worst part is that I hurt my right wrist somehow, probably in a futile attempt to wrench the thing up before it went all the way down. Last year I injured my left wrist in a similar way and now they both hurt.

quote:

I can't imagine the fairing is that badly marked from a driveway drop.
Nah, it's not bad; kind of a small area with little polka-dots of paint ripped off. Only the bottom-right fairing bit, though, probably something nobody would ever see if they didn't already know of it. I just feel like a dumbass.

Here's a couple more: Is there a CA consensus on grippy pads for my knees? I think they'd make riding this thing a little easier, especially when braking, but I don't really like how those StompGrip things look, and the only other ones I know of are the Techspec brand.

I also made a foolish impulse bid on eBay and now I'm stuck with a 1975 Suzuki T500. This thing needs some work for real. The tires are the original set, the brakes don't seem to exist, and the suspension seems solidified. Is it gonna be easy to get parts to start sorting this thing out, or will this be a pain in the rear end? I've never had a vehicle older than me before.

VVV argh. VVV

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 27, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Frosty- posted:

Is it gonna be easy to get parts to start sorting this thing out, or will this be a pain in the rear end? I've never had a vehicle older than me before.

No and Yes, respectively. Old bikes (especially metric ones) have much worse parts availability than old cars, mainly due to smaller numbers of them being sold than equivalently old cars. For the 1978 Goldwing I'm rebuilding/cleaning up, most of the parts are no longer available new, the only way to get the majority of parts is to strip them from another bike, or pay through the nose for expensive replica parts. Some parts are available aftermarket, but are often poor quality compared to OEM.

I can't imagine an old Suzuki that likely sold in much smaller numbers than first-gen Goldwings will have much parts availability at all. Ebay and Craigslist are going to be where you get 99% of your parts, most likely.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eventually you'll either have a 3d printer that can print aluminum on your desktop, or there'll be one in the 7-11 on the corner, and then all you need is a single copy to digitize and you can have all the replacement parts you'll ever need :allears:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
bbbbbbbut big manufacturing!

I desperately want that carbon fiber 3d printer. It looks so cool.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The guys were showing it off at the techshop earlier this year. Neat thing. It's fundamentally a nylon printer, and it just adds layers of CF inside to increase rigidity. It's not going to make 100% CF fairings or whatever but it can make plastic parts that are way more durable than anything else coming off an FDM machine for sure.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I just fabricated some turn signal brackets for my 'wing yesterday.

I did it the old fashioned way with aluminium stock and power tools. :getin:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HotCanadianChick posted:

I just fabricated some turn signal brackets for my 'wing yesterday.

I did it the old fashioned way with aluminium stock and power tools. :getin:

Well well! Why don't you shoot a vimeo video at 240fps about it

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Aluminum doesn't spark when you cut it. What good would that be?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Throw some rusty iron on it, it'll spark eventually.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

americanzero4128 posted:

How much gas is in there? I would look there first. If it's possible and you have half a tank (I'm guessing you can't drain it since you will get bitched at) fill it up with fresh gas from the gas station and try again. If you can drain it, I would just drain the tank and put in a gallon. If it starts, ride it, fill it up, and be happy. Do you have your choke open? I have a 99 Shadow 1100 and I need to have the choke open on it to start it. On my 06VTX1300 it starts with no choke needed. Do you have the gas knob pointed to the tank, and not off?

It's almost full. I tried with choke open and closed. And yeah, the gas is set to On, and not reserve or off (though I tried with reserve just in case... no luck). You're also correct that it will be tough to drain it - obviously it's fairly easy to drain, but I'm not sure what to do with the gas once it's out.

Snowdens Secret posted:

If the bike is carbed, there's good odds the gas or gas leftovers in your float bowls are gunked up and whatever you do to the gas in the tank won't do squat. I would check there before doing anything more intrusive.

That's why when you winterize it, after you put the stabilizer in, you need to run it a bit to get the stabilizer actually into the carb (or close the petcock and drain the carbs, for more effort.)

Yeah, it's carbed (I'm 99% sure anyway). Ugh. Gunked carbs were one of the reasons I didn't ride for a long time on my junker bike. To be fair, though, those carbs CAME gunked. It was a nightmare for me last time as the carbs were very hard to remove and when I got them off there were plugs covering where I need to unscrew - but those plugs were covered in a layer of metal, so I had to literally drill into the carbs (without any indication that there WAS anything under the metal... leap of faith!). Shockingly, it worked, but I HATE working on carbs so much now.

How much will I get laughed at if I call bike repair shop and say "I winterized my bike improperly, can you please come and make it run again"? Is that a thing? I don't have a way to GET it to an actual bike shop...

And yea, this is the LAST TIME I listen to "experienced rider" friends of mine. I swear they were playing a prank on me. They said all you need to do to winterize it is fill the tank all the way up (their reasoning was full tank = no room for extra moisture or something, it made sense at the time) and a bike cover.

Myrddin Emrys fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 28, 2014

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm helping a friend work on their bike, a 1984 XR500. It has a 540cc big bore installed with a louder muffler, but I'm not sure the PO adjusted the jetting at all so now going WFO acts like a kill switch. It's a double carb setup, one main at 135, the other at 108 at stock. How much higher would you recommend going on the jets?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Myrddin Emrys posted:

And yea, this is the LAST TIME I listen to "experienced rider" friends of mine. I swear they were playing a prank on me. They said all you need to do to winterize it is fill the tank all the way up (their reasoning was full tank = no room for extra moisture or something, it made sense at the time) and a bike cover.

The filling up thing is true, but you need to also run stabilized gas through the carbs, fog the cylinders if you're keeping it outside, lube the chain, tend the battery, so on and so forth.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

M42 posted:

The filling up thing is true, but you need to also run stabilized gas through the carbs, fog the cylinders if you're keeping it outside, lube the chain, tend the battery, so on and so forth.

I'll definitely be looking more into it this winter - I did take care of the battery though.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Yeah, it's carbed (I'm 99% sure anyway).

If it has a Choke it's got carbs. (99.99% of the time)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

If it has a Choke it's got carbs. (99.99% of the time)

Unless it's EFI and has an Enrichment Lever (tm).

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

Unless it's EFI and has an Enrichment Lever (tm).

Well an Enrichment Lever isn't a choke it's an "Enrichment Lever". :colbert:

M42 posted:

Or just buy an EFI bike. :v:

To be fair you can winterize your bike just by filling the tank as long as you're not using gas with ethanol.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 28, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

Well an Enrichment Lever isn't a choke it's an "Enrichment Lever". :colbert:

:goonsay:

My favorite winterizing strategy is "ride the drat thing".

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

:qq:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

:love: you DJ.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Myrddin Emrys posted:

It's almost full. I tried with choke open and closed. And yeah, the gas is set to On, and not reserve or off (though I tried with reserve just in case... no luck). You're also correct that it will be tough to drain it - obviously it's fairly easy to drain, but I'm not sure what to do with the gas once it's out.

Yeah, it's carbed (I'm 99% sure anyway). Ugh. Gunked carbs were one of the reasons I didn't ride for a long time on my junker bike. To be fair, though, those carbs CAME gunked. It was a nightmare for me last time as the carbs were very hard to remove and when I got them off there were plugs covering where I need to unscrew - but those plugs were covered in a layer of metal, so I had to literally drill into the carbs (without any indication that there WAS anything under the metal... leap of faith!). Shockingly, it worked, but I HATE working on carbs so much now.

How much will I get laughed at if I call bike repair shop and say "I winterized my bike improperly, can you please come and make it run again"? Is that a thing? I don't have a way to GET it to an actual bike shop...

After having had to go over carbs several times now for people who've had them rebuilt by 'vintage bike shops' to the tune of a few hundred dollars I'd recommend trying to see if any CA goons who are familiar with carbs can help out. 99% of MC shops these days have no idea what to do with a carb except charge a pile of money to "fix" them.
I'm not trying to paint myself as an expert or anything, just less of a hack than the people who did the shoddy work for money.
Plus once you've got someone who's familiar with them show you how to go through the rebuild process step by step you won't have to hate them (as much).

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I cleansed my carbs all on my own, and when I put it all back together (the pain of which I've forgotten similar to how women tend to forget the pain of childbirth), it started up and ran well. Did I do it right? The stupid thing runs!

I'm still putting off syncing the carbs which I know I should have done right away.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, I prepped my ninjette allll over for winter and it still runs kinda cloggy at low speeds after winter (gently caress you pilot jet t:mad:). Not looking forward to the headache of jiggling that thing out of the frame. Or cleaning it. Or syncing it. Or anything at all, ever. gently caress you carbs.

On the plus side, it gives me something to do when it's too hot to ride (i.e. all of july and august).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

I cleansed my carbs all on my own, and when I put it all back together (the pain of which I've forgotten similar to how women tend to forget the pain of childbirth), it started up and ran well. Did I do it right? The stupid thing runs!

I'm still putting off syncing the carbs which I know I should have done right away.

I got really good at pulling Ninja 250 carbs when I forced my buddy to give me his bike for a month so I could fix it. Let me know if you want to tackle this ever.

Actually, the Harbor Freight infrared thermometer trick could make syncing the carbs on the bike possible, since your bike is running pretty well already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Hmm...was it...no, it was when trying to remove the awl filter from my Honda Odyssey and it started deforming and getting all scrunched up and my hand was getting sore because I couldn't find purchase on the thing that I was swearing so much and so loudly that I checked around the garage to make sure the kids (or the neighbor kids) weren't around.

But the time BEFORE that it was getting the carbs back on.

Safety Dance posted:

Actually, the Harbor Freight infrared thermometer trick could make syncing the carbs on the bike possible, since your bike is running pretty well already.

Wait, could you explain this, because it sounds better than what I was dreading.