Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

While it would definitely cause some rage, a rotary engine here in North America is enough of a novelty that people would be interested by it. If you really want to piss off old people Vette fans, stab a boosted F20 into one.

E: Or an electric motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:v:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I always thought a 1UZ Deuce replica would be fun. The most iconic of the barebones American hot-rods powered by a DOHC Japanese V8, thus still fairly true-to-form but offbeat enough to make just about any hick poo poo their pants.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 29, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

And everyone in the office is wonderign why I'm laughing my rear end off. YESSSSSS!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

How much would it cost to get a turbo Falcon 6 over to the states?

I really want to put one in my '66 Mustang

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tommychu posted:

I always thought a 1UZ Deuce replica would be fun. The most iconic of the barebones American hot-rods powered by a DOHC Japanese V8, thus still fairly true-to-form but offbeat enough to make just about any hick poo poo their pants.

why not bmw!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Apparently the reason my dad couldn't fix the rich running/high idle problem with his truck's carburetor was because it's got TBI. Guess I've got a project this summer!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Powershift posted:

why not bmw!

I met a dude once who had a BMW M62 in a Cobra replica. Thing sounded mean as gently caress and went like stink.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yesterday planned to be a very productive evening after work with the eldest kid away at the inlaws, wife back late with the youngest. I'd even decided to get off my rear end, wrap it in spandex and go out for a ride.

6 hours of overtime and nearly an hours commute later I fell straight through the shower into bed. An amp so obsolete I had to phone a human to get hold of a fault code list failed with popped caps so without parameters or documentation we had to leapfrog 30 years of technology and throw in the closest amp we could find, then set it up by guesswork and feel. Straddling a 36kw 400v motor and shouting instructions to the bloke at the amp one direction, another at the controls in the other direction was fun. I learnt and promptly forgot a lot about motors yesterday.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You couldn't just solder new caps in?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty sure that's a photoshopped image.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

leica posted:

Pretty sure that's a photoshopped image.

Not photoshopped, but the engine isn't connected to the drivetrain or anything.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So it was a joke then, right? I just remember it being fake in some way.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, the other detail I remember someone posting was that the engine is actually a FWD F series, not the F series out of the S2000, so it wouldn't work anyway.

(No idea if that's true or not, just what someone said.)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

leica posted:

So it was a joke then, right? I just remember it being fake in some way.

It was definitely fake. I think the owner was a bored car parts store employee or something?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kastein posted:

You couldn't just solder new caps in?

First thing we tried (56uF 400v electrolytic) that got it to the state it would power on and self test, giving us a short to ground on the outputs, which persisted when we disconnected the motor wiring :haw: There were a few other signs of corrosion on the board and it was nearly 30 years old, and we had another amp, and we needed the press that night.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
My ex-fiance's mother emailed me this morning to tell me that he had called her, and that he's never felt happier, so I am happy for him.

I took a page from his crazy book and did something impulsive. The last year of living in North Dakota and northern Minnesota has been depressing as gently caress, so I quit my job and I'm moving back to Minneapolis this weekend.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

goatse guy posted:

My ex-fiance's mother emailed me this morning to tell me that he had called her, and that he's never felt happier, so I am happy for him.

I took a page from his crazy book and did something impulsive. The last year of living in North Dakota and northern Minnesota has been depressing as gently caress, so I quit my job and I'm moving back to Minneapolis this weekend.

Holy poo poo, that definitely qualifies as an impulsive decision. Good luck!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Got to drive this lady around at work today.

Front drum brakes dont work worth a gently caress.
Still an awesome car and my personal favorite vette era.
(Although I dont think the wheels look good at all)

Edited for harshness

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 29, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Had to drive my friend's Toyota 22RE 4x4 today. Holy poo poo it was too much fun.

*furiously browsing cl*

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I found it today that I didn't get the internal position that I applied for. :( I had a feeling after the interview that I want going to get it though so no surprise there.

On a happier note, I hit 100k miles on my car this morning.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

(Although gently caress this guy for having those wheels)
They look like stock steelies, and they look fine* on that car.

* seriously, better than 99.5% of what the other dipshit owners of corvettes put on their vehicles.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Krakkles posted:

They look like stock steelies, and they look fine* on that car.

* seriously, better than 99.5% of what the other dipshit owners of corvettes put on their vehicles.

They were stock steelies, he bought it for 2000 bucks when it was 3 years old. And then it sat for 25 years.
Only reason I was bitter was because he was kind of an rear end in a top hat and wanted a bunch of stuff done for free.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

goatse guy posted:

Wow, that is impulsive! But if it's what you need to make yourself happy then way to go!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Preoptopus posted:

(Although gently caress this guy for having those wheels)
gently caress you those wheels are great. More cars should have steelies, like the camaro or I even like the ones on the new beetle even though theyre part hubcap (it looks like).

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
450 miles into a 2500 mile road trip in our new Escape 2.0, towing a uhaul 4x8 with probably 1000lbs in it, so maybe 2K ish total? Cruising at 65, getting 23mpg when I can keep my foot out of it.

I love this thing.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I got a flat tyre today so Enterprise, who is handling my recall loaner, upgraded my 2014 Beetle to a 2014 Elantra. It's pretty utilitarian but it does a good job and it has a USB hub so I'm happy :3:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I feel bad when I spill fluids at the parts store parking lot but then there's this:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Illicit-auto-shop-in-Oakland-parking-lot-has-5511454.php

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

That page is going to give Motronic a loving aneurysm.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Anyone going to the Climb to the Clouds hillclimb at Mt. Washington in New Hampshire?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

c355n4 posted:

Anyone going to the Climb to the Clouds hillclimb at Mt. Washington in New Hampshire?

Maybe now that you mention it. When is it? Convince me I should go.

(is it open admission or do you have to actually have a cool car and be cool enough to race?)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Galler posted:

ahahah I thought the same thing when I read about the Freon

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

REAL-LIVE CERTIFIED MECHANIC

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

kastein posted:

(is it open admission or do you have to actually have a cool car and be cool enough to race?)

Seconded, Mt Washington is my favorite place on earth.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

kastein posted:

June 26-29. I should be there with an electric car team (http://evsr.net/). Tim O'Neil will be driving it up the mountain. Anyone can spectate. http://climbtotheclouds.com/spectator-info-tickets/

We just finished a very successful Memorial Weekend at Lime Rock Park with Andy Lally driving one of two electric racecars in an exhibition race (gas vs electric) during the IMSA races. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6oCOxtiItQ

Edit - I'd love to meet up with the #NEAI crowd.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 30, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Tackling stairs on a MTB is hellish fun. Finding there is a new cafe at the bottom that has just opened was unexpected. Waving to the patrons as they look in surprise at the rider rolling by waving is priceless :D

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

c355n4 posted:

June 26-29. I should be there with an electric car team (http://evsr.net/). Tim O'Neil will be driving it up the mountain. Anyone can spectate. http://climbtotheclouds.com/spectator-info-tickets/

We just finished a very successful Memorial Weekend at Lime Rock Park with Andy Lally driving one of two electric racecars in an exhibition race (gas vs electric) during the IMSA races. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6oCOxtiItQ

Edit - I'd love to meet up with the #NEAI crowd.

Damnit, I'll be in Pennsyltucky with the NAXJA crew for NAXJA NACFest, beating the piss out of my white crapcan truck offroad.

(Speaking of which, Motronic, you should show up. There will be another Rover there so you can fight over whose ride is spare parts and whose is getting driven out! All other offroad nerds in the northeast are welcome as well. It's an XJ/MJ club, but we've wheeled with everything from Toyotas to JKs at the event.)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Motronic, can you help me fill up my tank with Freon?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Galler posted:

HOLY loving poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Today I got home to find that my dad got Truk started and moved it out of the driveway.

:black101:

• Locked thread