Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

Took better pictures (with cleaned up bases and drilled barrels):

Fuegan, I totally stole your eye lens painting method of dotting the corners with white. It makes them look so much better, my god, why did I never do it before?

Also, regarding the :siren:goon project:siren:, if you need someone to rewrite the entire Tyranid codex let me know. I'm still going to play the hell out of 7th Edition, but I always enjoy contributing to these types of things.

These look awesome. Glad I could help, the white dot really adds a bit more depth and life to the lenses I find. Just a shame these stupid Mk.III armour models I'm currently working on don't have any!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Sykic posted:

It's just a screaming skull basecoat with seraphim sepia shading and white scar highlight. I cheated and used an airbrush :ssh:.

I actually know very little about how a Chapter is designed, never been much of a Space Marine player. The idea was to just give anyone special (sergeants, veterans, the chapter master, etc) a bone coloured helmet because I'm lazy it sets them apart from the rank and file marines. I actually spent a while looking up Chapter Masters to figure out if they ever wear a different coloured helmet as a sign of their rank but the only guy I found who wears one is Kantor, and Crimson Fists have the whole "two coloured fists" thing instead. Still, that's half the point when designing your own chapter, just paint them however you want them to look, fluff be damned.

In the grim darkness of the far future there is a strict dress code policy. My feeling is that you can rationalise anything you like, less bling = less show offy chapter master. His men know who he is. Also the white helmets look so rad why wouldn't you have them as a symbol of rank. I have blood angels and I hate the knee pad squad system which I remember in 2nd edition and has no rhyme or reason other than some GW guys made it up. The codex astartes system based on primary coloured shoulder pad rims feels the same to me. These guys are Knights in space. I am sure their attitude to decoration is not indoctrinated in.

If I ever do another space marines chapter they are going to be puritanical and not believe in ostentation. So I don't have to paint any more angel wings.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm redoing my old models entirely and decided to go whole hog on the knight thing and will straight up base them on the Teutonic Knights. Because why the hell not.

Then seventh dropped and everyone at the local club got real mad. I still don't know whether to smile or :smith: at that, considering my timing.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

AbusePuppy posted:

"Levels," as they were defined in earlier editions of the game, are gone- blasts and templates hit all models underneath the marker unless you and your opponent decide to come up with some sort of special rules for handling things. The old "three inches for a level" thing is even gone, although vertical distance to climb through terrain pieces is still part of the rules, it's just not a fixed number for all terrain pieces now, nor a special feature of ruins and only ruins.

:psyduck:

One step forward and three steps back.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

adamantium|wang posted:

No, as a player whose army uses 90% blasts and templates I will totally take this.

My Biovores hit.... 85 times :smug:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

adamantium|wang posted:

From what I've read it seems like all the terrain rules are basically worse than before...

Someone mentioned that you can only put fortifications in your deployment zone, is that true?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Sykic posted:

Interrupting 7th chat to bring you more shite I've painted. In spite of Phyresis's many protests, I made something that isn't a Librarian.

It looks more ridiculous than I imagined it would. Still, that's 40K for you!

Back to 7th chat, they changed what powers a GK vehicle knows? What the gently caress? No more Fortitude?

I love this. Your color scheme is really lose to mine, which is probably part of it, but it's just really sick and well executed and I want to make one now.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

LordAba posted:

Someone mentioned that you can only put fortifications in your deployment zone, is that true?

I would really like this to be the case. Not that I've ever encountered people abusing the system before, but reading about poo poo like an ADL being deployed midfield to grant your advancing troops cover saves and people racing to bastions and poo poo always struck me as one of those cheesy WELL TECHNICALLY I CAN DO THIS strategies that should be slapped down.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I wonder if the new Ork codex will focus any on the ongoing third war of Armageddon? On the heels of the new IG book, I bet a Steel Legion expansion book could be around the corner too...

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Reynold posted:

I would really like this to be the case. Not that I've ever encountered people abusing the system before, but reading about poo poo like an ADL being deployed midfield to grant your advancing troops cover saves and people racing to bastions and poo poo always struck me as one of those cheesy WELL TECHNICALLY I CAN DO THIS strategies that should be slapped down.

I feel the opposite. Let's buff shooting armies with high AV buildings while offering almost no benefit to orks/tyranids/etc.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Reynold posted:

LordAba posted:

I feel the opposite. Let's buff shooting armies with high AV buildings while offering almost no benefit to orks/tyranids/etc.

Nids could do a pretty cheeky build under 6E with Stronghold Assault:

Take a Bastion or Redoubt and place it in the middle of the table. Add an escape hatch behind it, on the edge of your deployment zone. Then either include a void shield upgrade and/or an ammo dump on the battlements. Infiltrate some Genestealers inside and go second if possible. The Genestealers can disembark and threaten an assault up to 18" from the building thanks to Repel the Enemy.
You then move a Venomthrope with attached Prime through the escape hatch. You can now measure 6" Shrouded aura and 12" Synapse from the building itself, to help the rest of army move through the centre of the board. Now follow up by moving some Hive Guard through the escape hatch onto the battlements. They can shoot anything within 24" of the centre of the board ignoring cover + line of sight. If you took the ammo dump they can reroll hits of 1, if not they're protected by a void shield and 2+ cover save.

The building also provides emplaced weapons (some very useful anti-air in the case of the Redoubt) to be fired by the Venom+Prime.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I wonder if the new Ork codex will focus any on the ongoing third war of Armageddon? On the heels of the new IG book, I bet a Steel Legion expansion book could be around the corner too...

If GW had been sensible you could've just made a supplement dedicated to multiple IG armies with rules and such instead of just one.
But like that'll ever happen. :smith:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

AbusePuppy posted:

Wave Serpents got a little easier to kill now that they no longer always have a save, but it's pretty trivial to find some cover most of the time (especially if you spent a couple points for ignoring Dangerous Terrain.) However, entirely overriding that is the fact that the Serpent now gets Objective Secured, meaning they can contest/steal objectives from most units in the game. This is absolutely huge- having to disembark those minimal Dire Avenger/Guardian squads could be quite fatal to your ability to score objectives, but now that the Serpent itself can do all the work they are much, much better than before.

You've been able to keep the squad inside the transport since, if I recall correctly, FAQ's beginning in 5th Edition. Before then, especially in 3rd Edition, units inside transports were in a pocket dimension of retardation, GW has slowly crept the unit into the same dimension as any other models even when they're not physically on the table. It began with measuring just about everything from the edge of the hull- leadership bubbles, psychic tests, throwing blood packs out the hatch, et cetera. That open topped transports take hits is the latest step of the trend.

It's still a boost due to Objective Secured, but the pulpy insides could remain in their tin can.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Significant Steel Legion content would require me to call my doctor because I'd have an erection lasting longer than 4 hours.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Post 9-11 User posted:

You've been able to keep the squad inside the transport since, if I recall correctly, FAQ's beginning in 5th Edition. Before then, especially in 3rd Edition, units inside transports were in a pocket dimension of retardation, GW has slowly crept the unit into the same dimension as any other models even when they're not physically on the table. It began with measuring just about everything from the edge of the hull- leadership bubbles, psychic tests, throwing blood packs out the hatch, et cetera. That open topped transports take hits is the latest step of the trend.

It's still a boost due to Objective Secured, but the pulpy insides could remain in their tin can.

Units in vehicles could not score in 6th, I am almost certain. They could in 5th, but it was too strong with how cheap and durable vehicles were then so it got nerfed in 6th.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Tequila Ranger posted:

Significant Steel Legion content would require me to call my doctor because I'd have an erection lasting longer than 4 hours.

I wouldn't say no to updated rules for Tanith as well, which is kinda why I wanted a army collection supplement more than just a single book.
Now I would've also wanted to wish for new Steel Legion models but that's too greedy and fantastic to really bother with.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Post 9-11 User posted:

In 7th, you don't even need the squad inside. Dedicated transports have the same FOC as the unit that purchased them. So the empty Wave Serpent has objective secured, and the squad can hide in ruins back home.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

The Sex Cannon posted:

Played my first game of 7th tonight with Direwolf. Had a ton of fun. We decided to do an all-infantry battle, so I had :

1400ish points of Imperial Guard
CCS w/ all 3 advisors
2 Primaris
2 Commissars
2 platoons as follows-
PCS w/ 4 plasmas
2 Infantry squads with flamers
Special Wepons squad w/ grenade launchers
Autocannon squad
Missile launcher squad
2 melta vets w/ demolitions

He had:
1400ish points of chaos marines and demons
Chaos Lord
4 Berzerker squads
Khorne herals
2 Bloodletter squads

We played Maelstrom of War mission 6 - Deadlock. We only got 2 turns in each because we are new and slow (and both late), but it was a pretty awesome scrap. This was also my first game with my guard. Here's what I thought:
About the game in general:
- Mysterious objectives are awesome. Really added flavor to the battlefield. Though I know Direwolf hated it when I rolled a 6 and got the Graviton thing for that one on the right flank.
- Tactical objectives were cool. We both rolled some useless ones, but we were able to get rid of them as part of the mission rules, so it wasn't a big deal.
- Neither of us had the Tactical Objective cards, so keeping track of them was a bit of a hassle. I am going to buy the cards, and I would recommend that you buy a pack, too, if you're going to use tactical objectives in your games.
- 7th is a lot more complex than 6th. I guess we'll see how it goes down the line, but I have high hopes after tonight.

About IG:
- Holy poo poo the IG shooting phase is complicated. 3 Officers and four orders per turn is a lot to keep track of. I also rolled inspired command twice, so orders played a pretty big roll in this battle. They're like little, awesome psychic powers.
- A blob squad is a force to be reckoned with. Don't have a 2+ save? Don't let them get a turn of shooting off. "First rank fire, second rank fire" is extremely powerful and if I had managed to get a prescience off for that turn of shooting, it would have been devastating.
- Primaris psykers are loving fantastic. Unlike a lot of other psykers, you're really only paying for powers, because their stat line is so lovely. They'er not going to do a whole lot as an offensive tool, but they're adroit force multipliers.
- Take an astropath. 25 points for a ML1 psyker is a steal. And telepathy has a few good powers (I can't wait to have LOS blocking invisible Leman Russes).
- Take a master of ordnance. 20 points for a lovely basilisk is way good. He wiped out most of a zerker squad single-handedly.
- PCS squads with 4 plasmas and a prescience buff are very powerful.
- gently caress yes take demolitions on your vets solely because you get a demolition charge, and demo charges loving rule.
- Putting down 120 guardsmen and throwing out hundreds of shots per turn is a hell of a lot of fun.

I eagerly anticipate my next game of 7th, and I really want to get a full game in with Direwolf. He's a great dude.

It was great playing with you too buddy! Just wish we could have finished the game.

I think one thing should be to discard "unwinnable" tactical objective cards prior to the game starting - we were able to discard our useless ones but it's one thing to be able to tactically decide that an objective you drew isn't feasible, it's another to just have it be impossible (Sex Cannon drew a "kill vehicle/monstrous creatures" card in our all-infantry game, and I drew a "cast a psychic power" with my mono-khorne, so). That way there's a drawback to choosing to discard an objective (even if it's a small chance, you're still giving up a chance) and you don't feel like you're getting completely useless cards.

We didn't have any vehicles, which I feel at least for my armies is the bigger change, so I have yet to test that out. The psychic phase didn't break the game though I will say it's pretty much impossible to stop spells that don't target your own units, esp power level 2 or 3.

Anyways, we'll hopefully get another game in soon, I think the plan is for him to run 20 4x plasma gun guard squads versus my 10 wraithlords, we'll see what happens.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Direwolf posted:

I think one thing should be to discard "unwinnable" tactical objective cards prior to the game starting - we were able to discard our useless ones but it's one thing to be able to tactically decide that an objective you drew isn't feasible, it's another to just have it be impossible (Sex Cannon drew a "kill vehicle/monstrous creatures" card in our all-infantry game, and I drew a "cast a psychic power" with my mono-khorne, so).

This is what I've been doing. I mean, I didn't actually read the rules before TheChirurgeon and I started playing, I just glanced over like half the cards and that AbusePuppy post on 3++ that laid out the differences, but I kinda assumed GW wouldn't be so loving stupid as to stick you with objectives that are literally impossible and only let you discard one a turn. Like, whatever, if I get "capture an objective on the other side of the table" I'll deal with it and see if I get it next turn, but "blow up a jet" in a game with no jets, gently caress that, I'm saying that one didn't count, and drawing a new card. It might not actually be a rule, GW being GW, but it should be. I'd do the same thing with warlord traits - oh, you get +1 on reserve rolls, in a scenario with zero possibility of reserves? gently caress it, roll again until you get something that might be marginally useful.

Though I guess I do kind of love my warlord being so dead set on shooting down a plane that he can't let it go, to the point of forgoing other battlefield objectives.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I just had a look at the Dark Vengeance set on the GW site to see if it had a new mini book yet (the assumption being there would be one asap), and found this little nugget of poo poo:

"Please note: To get the latest set of Warhammer 40,000 game rules you will need to purchase the new edition of Warhammer 40,000."

That sounds horribly like there won't be a new mini book at all.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Maybe it was 5th Edition, then. That was when "DAVU" for Falcons and Wave Serpents happened, Dire Avenger Vehicle Upgrade to make them scoring.

Infinite Karma posted:

In 7th, you don't even need the squad inside. Dedicated transports have the same FOC as the unit that purchased them. So the empty Wave Serpent has objective secured, and the squad can hide in ruins back home.

Ahh, too right. 7th Edition: Your List Now Has Double The Troops Units It Had Before.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

I just had a look at the Dark Vengeance set on the GW site to see if it had a new mini book yet (the assumption being there would be one asap), and found this little nugget of poo poo:

"Please note: To get the latest set of Warhammer 40,000 game rules you will need to purchase the new edition of Warhammer 40,000."

It was a similar situation when 6th came out and they still had assault on blackreach on the shelves but who knows if that's the case now. Perhaps the new boxed set, if there is one, will only contain the most basic of rules in an effort to force you to get the proper rulebook for the full game.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Cataphract posted:

It was a similar situation when 6th came out and they still had assault on blackreach on the shelves but who knows if that's the case now. Perhaps the new boxed set, if there is one, will only contain the most basic of rules in an effort to force you to get the proper rulebook for the full game.

The rumours were that they were recalling DV and were going to swap out the old mini book for a new one, but that would appear to be untrue sadly. I can't see them doing an entirely new starter for 7th, unless they leave it another 2 years which is probably when it was due anyway.

VVV That was my plan too, but i really don't think we'll get one.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 29, 2014

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
After finally getting to take a look at the new rules I will be waiting for a mini rulebook to buy (if I do at all). It really is an expensive FAQ.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Lungboy posted:

They aren't going to open up every box in the warehouse to replace the mini-book and they won't offer any cheaper rule book until they have moved enough units of the hardcover books. Either pony up the cash now, or do without a rule book for 6+ months.

CyberLord XP posted:

After finally getting to take a look at the new rules I will be waiting for a mini rulebook to buy (if I do at all). It really is an expensive FAQ.

Come on over to the Community Edition thread and maybe we can make your 6th ed book usable again.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Lungboy posted:

The rumours were that they were recalling DV and were going to swap out the old mini book for a new one, but that would appear to be untrue sadly. I can't see them doing an entirely new starter for 7th, unless they leave it another 2 years which is probably when it was due anyway.

VVV That was my plan too, but i really don't think we'll get one.

I believe the WD explicitly said they would put a new book in Dark Vengeance, it just didn't say when.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Might be that they wait a month or two to force people into buying the big book, which is how they traditionally handle new starters. So it would sort of make sense in a GW'ey way.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Sulecrist posted:

I believe the WD explicitly said they would put a new book in Dark Vengeance, it just didn't say when.

WD also said that Unbound armies were limited by the Allies Matrix.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Lungboy posted:

WD also said that Unbound armies were limited by the Allies Matrix.

Aren't they?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Indolent Bastard posted:

Come on over to the Community Edition thread and maybe we can make your 6th ed book usable again.

Already keeping an eye on it to see what people come up with.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Sulecrist posted:

Aren't they?

Well, you can ally in come the apocalypse now. So technically yes.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Indolent Bastard posted:

two pages in and that thread is already a clusterfuck

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Sulecrist posted:

Aren't they?

No, Unbound is literally "take whatever the gently caress you want".

VVV True, but I don't think that's what the WD article said.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 29, 2014

FIVEpoint9
Mar 27, 2013

Lungboy posted:

They're not limited to the FOC, but it is still limited by the Allies Matrix in how the different factions interact with each other, such as deployment restrictions.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
The ally rules include being able to ally with the "come the apocalypse" ones. So you can technically ally with anyone

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Lungboy posted:

VVV True, but I don't think that's what the WD article said.

I'm almost positive that's exactly what it said. "Unbound armies are still limited by our NEW AND IMPROVED allies matrix," or something very similar. It definitely didn't explain the matrix at that time, but if the matrix didn't continue to have a profound impact on choices, people wouldn't have been so troubled by the changes to Imperial Guard's relationship with Chaos.

Edit: to be clear, my point is just that "DV will get a 7E update" is probably true given that it came straight from the horse's mouth, which didn't blatantly lie in related comments made about the same thing at a similar time. I'm sure I agree with your interpretation of the merits of some of the changes themselves.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 29, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I'm not wasting money on a rulebook ever again. I may buy the starter set if it has new rules, otherwise I'll just ... you know. I have binders and they just priced the book so high that printer ink is cheaper (quite the feat, if you ask me).

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Post 9-11 User posted:

Maybe it was 5th Edition, then. That was when "DAVU" for Falcons and Wave Serpents happened, Dire Avenger Vehicle Upgrade to make them scoring.

It was 5th edition. I am 1 million percent positive you had to disembark troops to score in 6th, and as Abuse Puppy mentioned, being able to score with the Serpent itself now (even with no troops!) is absurd.

Apollodorus posted:

So still better choice points/$$ value than a Falcon, right?

The Falcon took the Jink "nerf" as well too, so no real change there. In unbound, the Falcon gets a little bit of a push, since the biggest reason you didn't take Falcons was because Eldar's Heavy Support slot was needed for other things. But, I can't see Eldar players going Unbound most of the time, because Eldar are the undisputed kings of objective-taking and contesting, especially now with scoring Wave Serpents.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 29, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cataphract posted:

two pages in and that thread is already a clusterfuck

Thanks!

Even if it comes to nothing more than a list of useful house rules, it's an enjoyable exercise.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was pretty happy to see unbound just means you can ignore the force Org for your army.

Also loving the new psi rules. A lot more interesting than "roll ld check, cast".

Did they make walkers good though? I can't really tell.

• Locked thread