Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tetracube posted:

The summoned bluecops, I mean. All the ones I've fought have been worse than their way of the blue hosts.

Hard to get good when you're never summoned. I bet most people who actually do manage to be summoned in as a sentinel are caught completely off guard over it, too. It's like the first few days in the Belfries except it never ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've only seen a single bluecop who was any good at the game and he's a goon on my Friends List.

Too often pubbie bluecops take their inability to interact with the environment for granted and rush in to fight a much better, specialized PvPer [which bloodbros are and bluecops tend not to be] without waiting for the host to catch up with them, since the bluebaby has to wade through an entire map full of enemies. A fact that bluecops tend to forget for some reason.

I've also seen one rush off when I've tried to Great Heal him and the host. Multiple times. One time I was the bluebaby host because I already had Sunlight Spear and ceased to give a gently caress, and I still kept seeing bluecops getting stomped and having to clean up after them.

I'm a bad and a sunbro but I'd rather trust other sunbros against invaders than the average bluecop.

But I guess people do tend to summon sunbros for jolly co-operation more often, so we get more practice when invasions actually do happen.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Hard to get good when you're never summoned. I bet most people who actually do manage to be summoned in as a sentinel are caught completely off guard over it, too. It's like the first few days in the Belfries except it never ends.
This is kinda the truth, unless the BP is poo poo, you're gonna have a hard time defending that Apostle. You can still practice in the sparring room, since that's what they're for, but the ability to use estus in those rooms kinda makes you a bit more laxed since you can take a sippy there, but never in the battlefield.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I think that happened the last three times I actually had a bluecop appear to "defend" me. Once, the host lured him away from me and near enemies so I couldn't follow without attracting them, and two others when the guy just charged ahead without giving a gently caress and promptly exploded.

Zero Initiative
Nov 6, 2013
On the subject of blues, I was bummed to discover -- The hard way -- that the arena isn't limited by soul memory. Looks like I wouldn't be able to realistically earn Targray's armor legitimately until NG+.

And I'd feel guilty for killing him.

Any other suggestions for knightly FASHIONSOULS for my character?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Zero Initiative posted:

On the subject of blues, I was bummed to discover -- The hard way -- that the arena isn't limited by soul memory. Looks like I wouldn't be able to realistically earn Targray's armor legitimately until NG+.

Remove the Ring of Life Protection for the Bracing Knuckle Ring.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you want the armor that bad you can kill him and buy it off the old woman merchant (I forget her name). Any NPCs you kill will have their armor buyable from her.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Yo tallgeese you're on Ella's stream, but I'm guessing you probably know that. Glad to see the barrel in action

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I've only seen a single bluecop who was any good at the game and he's a goon on my Friends List.

Too often pubbie bluecops take their inability to interact with the environment for granted and rush in to fight a much better, specialized PvPer [which bloodbros are and bluecops tend not to be] without waiting for the host to catch up with them, since the bluebaby has to wade through an entire map full of enemies. A fact that bluecops tend to forget for some reason.

I've also seen one rush off when I've tried to Great Heal him and the host. Multiple times. One time I was the bluebaby host because I already had Sunlight Spear and ceased to give a gently caress, and I still kept seeing bluecops getting stomped and having to clean up after them.

I'm a bad and a sunbro but I'd rather trust other sunbros against invaders than the average bluecop.

But I guess people do tend to summon sunbros for jolly co-operation more often, so we get more practice when invasions actually do happen.

As a rank 3 Blue Sentinel, the number of times I was summoned to help someone, only to have them rush recklessly towards the much more aggressive and dangerous enemy (often without taking care of monsters first) probably outnumber straight-up kills for the Blood Brothers. The people I tried to help usually just made it easier for the Blud member.

Zero Initiative
Nov 6, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you want the armor that bad you can kill him and buy it off the old woman merchant (I forget her name). Any NPCs you kill will have their armor buyable from her.

I said I'd feel guilty.

Who kills NPCs for their armor? Gosh.

I might, if I can't find anything more suitable. I'm just fishing for suggestions since I haven't been through every armor set yet.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Zero Initiative posted:

I'll cough up the armor for you.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Inspector_666 posted:

Are you the one doing the Ultramarine character? :v:

Nope, I am, and let me tell you the Alonne Captains are loathe to give up their armor :saddowns:

On the other hand, if you're around 500K SM and need them, I have 2 Blacksteel Katanas :suicide:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Hahaha I just got invaded in Belfry Luna by a Red Phantom named **** DOOR who kept pointing at the fog door of the Gargoyles and doing other gestures, then he black crystaled away. :shepface:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Colapops posted:

As a rank 3 Blue Sentinel

Christ alive. How long did this take you?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I don't remember seeing this in the thread before, so please forgive me if it's already known; or, in the alternative, if it was posted before and you haven't seen it, you might find this useful.

I ran across a comprehensive OCD checklist that someone has created for everything to do in the game in every area complete with inline links to every wikidot page for every item, NPC, boss, and every area. It's a literal checklist, in that you actually check off boxes with your mouse on the page as you go along through the game. Additionally, the areas are listed with general level ranges for completion in NG - of course, you don't have to do those areas within the listed level ranges; I'm pretty sure that those ranges are the same ones that are in the official strategy guide.

I wouldn't recommend it for a new player who is avoiding spoilers, but for a new player that ISN'T avoiding spoilers and is an unapologetic completionist, this could be very helpful indeed. In fact, I wish I would have had this checklist rather than the strategy guide for my first time through the game, because the strategy guide made the game too easy for me. This list, on the other hand, probably will make the game easier but only in the sense that you won't feel like you might be missing something or that you won't know where to go.

I've already played through the game completely several times, but I might even find this list useful if I was just starting a new character and wanted to complete NG thoroughly but as quickly as possible to get to NG+ reasonably quickly.

So, credit to smcnabb, whoever he is, for putting this together. The author has a Reddit thread here if you'd like to give thanks. It had to take a fair amount of time to do this.

Edit: maybe this can be in the OP?

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 29, 2014

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

buzzsaw.gif posted:

I don't remember seeing this in the thread before, so please forgive me if it's already known; or, in the alternative, if it was posted before and you haven't seen it, you might find this useful.

This owns, thanks for the link!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Genocyber posted:

Yes you can.

old whip and spotted whip? i tried and it would just two-hand the spotted whip. no powerstancing.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
ok so finally beat the game trying to complete everything with a melee character (i summoned on a couple bosses):

The bad:
-Adaptability is a burden and should be removed from game. Purpose of leveleing up to 20 and leaving it? Like gently caress off.
-Durability on weapons degrade way too fast and should be fixed. It's just an over burden of poo poo design.
-95% of the shields are useless/poo poo. Buckler for parrying, gyrm's for fire stuff, Drangleic shield for blocking poo poo, dragonrider for better blocking poo poo. What else do you need?
-Maces are crazy powerful compared to swords/piercing weapons. This is poor loving design.
-invasions are idiotic (people play this to pvp? i play pvp games to pvp, like eve online). People using gimmicky cheap builds everywhere means it's made for griefing only.
-Throne of want? Nashrandra? Jesus these games suck at telling stories. I don't get how you can invest so much into something and fail on even a remote resemblance of a plot.
-The mace knights in dragon shrine, fire lizards in forest, giants in memories all are better defeated using ranged attacks.
-certain weapons are not viable to use at all with any build ever. Old Knight weapons come to mind.
-Areas like Iron castle coming out of an elevator at the top of a windmill. They could have made these a little more plausible by introducing a small travel cutscene or something.
-doors of pharros and grave of saints with ratbros were ultra annoying.
-Belfry places were also ultra annoying.
-Boss fights felt all too many human characters. Not enough monsters.
-Rat Authority was the worst fight in that game for design.
-Mouse + Keyboard controls were horribly broken.
-bad bonfire design, bad shortcut design. It's almost like they spent too much time on heide's, forest, lost bastille and started getting lazy on the rest.

The good:
-This game is beautiful, jesus. The settings were pretty awesome too. Drangleic Castle approach, Dragon Aerie, shrine of amana, Heide's tower of flame were my favorites.
-lots of cool looking artwork on weapons/armor.
-died a whole bunch
-message system made me laugh a lot. "Try Tongue But Hole" "Try Two-Handing, Chest"
-died to a bunch of traps for a good laugh. I remember a platform giving out in the gutter while i was exploring for items that made me go "Sheeeeeeiiiiiitttttt"
-sound/music is pretty spectacular. Shrine of Amana singing, King Vendriks Chamber music..
-level design was pretty good and varied.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

ok so finally beat the game trying to complete everything with a melee character (i summoned on a couple bosses):

The bad:
-Throne of want? Nashrandra? Jesus these games suck at telling stories. I don't get how you can invest so much into something and fail on even a remote resemblance of a plot.

The good:
-message system made me laugh a lot. "Try Tongue But Hole" "Try Two-Handing, Chest"

This has to be a troll.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

TipsyMcStagger posted:

The story telling is one of the big parts of Dark Souls, it's deliberately left ambiguous and not forced down your throat like most other games (not that that's necessarily a bad thing either).

I quite like that I can goto youtube and watch 10 different Dark Souls lore videos, and everyone will have the same general overarching concepts, but with slightly different details.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

neetengie posted:

This is kinda the truth, unless the BP is poo poo, you're gonna have a hard time defending that Apostle. You can still practice in the sparring room, since that's what they're for, but the ability to use estus in those rooms kinda makes you a bit more laxed since you can take a sippy there, but never in the battlefield.

I learned how to git gud at PvP by Dragon duelling over and over and over again. It was on my second character that I embraced my inner blue cop and learned to love JUSTICE. My guess is most bluecops have no real PvP background at all sadly.

Colapops posted:

As a rank 3 Blue Sentinel

:syoon:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 29, 2014

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I love how blubros can only protect one covenant and its not the covenant who has the gimmick of "Get invaded more than all other covenants".
God some of the design choices in this game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rudager posted:

The story telling is one of the big parts of Dark Souls, it's deliberately left ambiguous and not forced down your throat like most other games (not that that's necessarily a bad thing either).

I quite like that I can goto youtube and watch 10 different Dark Souls lore videos, and everyone will have the same general overarching concepts, but with slightly different details.

I dunno, I think Dark Souls 2 is a step down from Dark Souls or Demon's Souls so far as plot goes. It's amazing how the game with the most exposition is also the one that's the least obvious when you've accomplished anything. The opening cutscene in Dark Souls and the first NPC told you everything you needed to know. I don't think DkS2 is bad about it necessarily, but it's not as good either.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

I learned how to git gud at PvP by Dragon duelling over and over and over again. It was on my second character that I embraced my inner blue cop and learned to love JUSTICE. My guess is most bluecops have no real PvP background at all sadly.
Yeah, I mainly just participate in Dragon PvP and I joined the Polizia out of impulse, but over time with the Dragons I got gud.
I mainly joined the Sentinels because I was really bad at PvP and always wanted some help when someone invaded me in DeS and DaS1, and I like helping people out.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

Christ alive. How long did this take you?

It's not as bad as it sounds. A few days maybe. The Brotherhood of Blood ranks you down for losses, but the Blue Sentinels do not. So even if you fail every other invasion (I didn't thankfully), you'll still get it *eventually*

My only deaths (outside of a handful of people who just curbstomped me) were from gank squads.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005
Do the soul memory brackets apply to summons with the small white soap stone? i got summoned by a dude with full Havels and those invisible weapon rings on a character around SL30, and my SM was not abnormally large... Not complaining though, he dropped 92 radiant life gems for myself and the other shade he had with us and got some jolly co-op out of it. Just thought it was a little weird seeing all that gear on a basically new character in FoFG.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Sven posted:

Do the soul memory brackets apply to summons with the small white soap stone? i got summoned by a dude with full Havels and those invisible weapon rings on a character around SL30, and my SM was not abnormally large... Not complaining though, he dropped 92 radiant life gems for myself and the other shade he had with us and got some jolly co-op out of it. Just thought it was a little weird seeing all that gear on a basically new character in FoFG.
Probably used Cheat Engine, the SM bracket should apply to shades.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Sven posted:

Achievable through cheating or through down-trading. Someone else may have cheated the stuff in and dropped it for him. NOTE that you can indeed get Havel's as soon as you can afford the Silvercat ring and a few poison arrows though!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I dunno, I think Dark Souls 2 is a step down from Dark Souls or Demon's Souls so far as plot goes.
Yeah. DaS2's worldbuilding was still pretty good, but how they handled the plot was rather weird.
In DaS1 I knew what my goals were and why I was trying to accomplish them. In DaS2 on the other hand I knew where I was going, but had no real idea why I was going there. I had the impression they were building up to some sort of revelation about that with the whole "You're going to do this, without knowing why"-thing and I was kinda surprised when that never happened.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Gorp posted:

I love how blubros can only protect one covenant and its not the covenant who has the gimmick of "Get invaded more than all other covenants".
God some of the design choices in this game.

Except protecting members of that covenant would make no sense at all since its purpose is to make the game more challenging?

Deaderinred posted:

old whip and spotted whip? i tried and it would just two-hand the spotted whip. no powerstancing.

You sure you have enough stats? Remember you need 1.5x the required stats to powerstance. So 13 str and 37 dex.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I personally find the story in Dark Souls 2 to be pretty decent, even if they tried to be far too obfuscating earlier on. One issue it has is that it leans heavily on Dark Souls 1, so a person that's new to the franchise will probably have no idea what half of the NPCs are even talking about.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Deaderinred posted:

Do you have the required +50% of the base stats to use both weapons?

Sven posted:

of course they do

However, soul memory means nothing to a CE user, which is what you probably ran into.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah I thought the protector thing sounded really cool before the game came out but the way they implemented it means it hardly ever happens. The first time I got invaded (in Heide's just outside Ornstein's door in fact) my 911 actually did get a response but never after that. Eventually I wanted to do other stuff so I joined the rat team and cheese people. I tried joining the polizei and played with the ring on for 3-4 hours but never got results.

It seems like the only time you're likely to get results is at higher levels when people have min-maxed builds (which is exactly the kind of PvP I avoid), and there's probably almost nobody in the Way of Blue by then anyway. But for what it's worth, the police definitely saved my life the one time they showed up.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I too thought these messages were hilarious, especially the second time I saw them, and then the third, and also the other times I saw them after that, and the other times too. Every time I start Dark Souls 2 I can't wait for the inevitable barrel of laughs that is the exact same messages replaced over and over in front of every single NPC.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Vanderdeath posted:

I personally find the story in Dark Souls 2 to be pretty decent, even if they tried to be far too obfuscating earlier on. Another issue it has is that it leans heavily on Dark Souls 1, so a person that's new to the franchise will probably have no idea what half of the NPCs are even talking about.

Personally, I interpreted the story of Dark Souls 2 to be "Use strike weapons on everything and you will win." Also, I really liked Vendrick's story. He has a pretty sweet tale.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

As an aside for the curious, the "Inquisitor's Blade" is not in the code as an actual item. At least not that I could see.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
I made a thing if anyone wants to use it.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

As an aside for the curious, the "Inquisitor's Blade" is not in the code as an actual item. At least not that I could see.

I've seen several items that exist only as code. It makes you wonder what they had planned for them.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It could do with a little ~ flourish between YOU WHEEL and YOU DEAL.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

The name alone makes it sound awesome, and I can only hope that it'll be part of some later DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh, by the way... the Shadow Claw "does" exist as an item. It's actually a sort of black Wolverine knuckle claw extension with a shark fun coming out of the back of the hand.