Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

jfreder posted:

How good of a deal is that? I live quite nearby...

I tossed him a 3k offer, because I'm lazy and want guaranteed equity.

With the options, it's in all probability got a Torsen, and if it's a true no-rust car, there's $1.5-2k there just from a cleanup and couple-hudnred-dollar PDR bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah looks like a great deal, I'd jump on that.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

jfreder posted:

How good of a deal is that? I live quite nearby...

If it drives as well as it looks, I would hop all over it if I didn't just buy another 99.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'm waiting for a deal like that to come in sofla so i can rip the NB to shreds and put the subframes, engine, trans (if 6 speed), diff and dash into my NA.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Should I sell my $4350 70k mile NA and buy this?

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/4485547347.html

Edit:

There's also this that I could buy and sell so I could take its Torsen and bumper cover, but I'm not sure how Torsens wear - would it still be in good shape at 153k?

http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/cto/4482406178.html

blk fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 31, 2014

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I wasn't on the other side of the country I'd buy that first one and to give you an idea of what I normally pay for Miatas, my previous 3 have been sub 1,000$ cars. The FM2 is one of the best turbo kits around.

Edit: Just look at their ridiculously detailed manual for the ECU. https://www.flyinmiata.com/support/instructions/ecu/ECU_tuning.pdf

The second one has a bunch of questionable stuff. Pod filter, wrong wheels, disabled but not removed airbag system? The car seems kind of lazily taken care of.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 31, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'd just be buying the second car for parts - the LSD and bumpercover.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

craig588 posted:

If I wasn't on the other side of the country I'd buy that first one and to give you an idea of what I normally pay for Miatas, my previous 3 have been sub 1,000$ cars. The FM2 is one of the best turbo kits around.

Edit: Just look at their ridiculously detailed manual for the ECU. https://www.flyinmiata.com/support/instructions/ecu/ECU_tuning.pdf

The second one has a bunch of questionable stuff. Pod filter, wrong wheels, disabled but not removed airbag system? The car seems kind of lazily taken care of.

It's funny, the first thing I'd replace on that car is the ECU and throw in a megasquirt. Either way, that's a decent deal if you're looking for a turbo miata.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Admittedly it's outdated, but it's not a garbage band aid management system that you see on so many cars.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

craig588 posted:

Admittedly it's outdated, but it's not a garbage band aid management system that you see on so many cars.
Hydra is loving terrible in every single way.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought it was just outdated and overpriced. I've never worked with one so I don't know much about it specifically, but what's so bad about it? I always thought the main problem with it was that a 500$ Megasquirt was more capable, not that it was fundamentally flawed.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Calling Link not a band-aid is technically correct, but spiritually and cosmically wrong.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

craig588 posted:

I thought it was just outdated and overpriced. I've never worked with one so I don't know much about it specifically, but what's so bad about it? I always thought the main problem with it was that a 500$ Megasquirt was more capable, not that it was fundamentally flawed.
Sorry, when I saw "tuning manual" I somehow assumed it was for a Hydra because I consider tuning to be more than pushing a couple buttons until a light turns green. In my tiredness I did not realize that FM would never offer to tell you how to use the Hydra, they'd rather charge you $500 to upgrade your software so they can support you because supposedly the older versions don't work with Windows 7 and they can't bother to have a lovely laptop around. Also the upgrade adds no functionality.

The Link is the best band-aid money can buy, but at the end of the day that's all it is.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, that sucks. I always had the impression FM was all about customer support. That's enough to make me just shop with Emilio for anything Miata related. I was already starting to doubt FM with all of their questionable suspension kits.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

craig588 posted:

Man, that sucks. I always had the impression FM was all about customer support. That's enough to make me just shop with Emilio for anything Miata related. I was already starting to doubt FM with all of their questionable suspension kits.
Don't get me wrong, FM has excellent stuff (their turbo hardware especially over BEGI, I'm replacing all my BEGI crap with FM parts this week). Would I buy non-AFCO FM suspension kits though? Nope.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
FM doesn't make awful stuff, but half of their catalog is kinda poo poo.

Their clutch kits are pretty rock solid, but it really depends on what you're trying to do with the car. If you're looking to go fast, 949racing and TSE are the two shops to look at.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

blk posted:

I'd just be buying the second car for parts - the LSD and bumpercover.

Why would you by an entire car for two pieces? You can get a Torsen and a bumper cover anywhere.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

Why would you by an entire car for two pieces? You can get a Torsen and a bumper cover anywhere.

Done properly, he could swap the two parts he wants from car #2, then sell car #2 for a profit. And yes, blk, the Torsens are stout and will hold up with that kind of mileage.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sounds like a lot of hassle for not much profit though. Waste of time IMO.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

Sounds like a lot of hassle for not much profit though. Waste of time IMO.

The '94 looks like the guy is getting tired of trying to sell it. $2800 cash thrown at him would probably take the car. Swap Torsen, front bumper cover and top (new top with glass window on the '94 versus blk's old one with patched hole). Sell the car as a quick take-me-away for $2500 and have the car as blk wants it for a few hundred, or the LSD and new top for less than what he's looking at for just the bumper cover.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Still, it depends on whether or not he does it legally or illegally. It's not worth the time/money doing it legally imo. If you wanna keep an open title and flip it quick (good luck) maybe. Either way it comes down to how much time you have on your hands, for me personally it wouldn't be worth dealing with it when you can have that poo poo delivered to your door, but for blk maybe he has the time to gently caress around with it in which case knock yourself out. Just be careful if you're going the open title route.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

meatpimp posted:

The '94 looks like the guy is getting tired of trying to sell it. $2800 cash thrown at him would probably take the car. Swap Torsen, front bumper cover and top (new top with glass window on the '94 versus blk's old one with patched hole). Sell the car as a quick take-me-away for $2500 and have the car as blk wants it for a few hundred, or the LSD and new top for less than what he's looking at for just the bumper cover.

My top is actually perfect; you may be thinking of the S2k I was looking at with the patch.

I got more pics of the bumper and it's pretty chipped up so I'm going to hold off the car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

blk posted:

My top is actually perfect; you may be thinking of the S2k I was looking at with the patch.

I got more pics of the bumper and it's pretty chipped up so I'm going to hold off the car.

Yep, I must have gotten it confused with one you were looking at, or another one someone else got. So yeah, if the Torsen is the only good part out of it, not high on the cost/benefit ratio.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just pay a good body shop to match and paint the bumper, shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks. It would take awhile to find a perfect replacement, considering the levels of paint fade in different vehicles. You might not ever find a perfect match honestly.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

leica posted:

Just pay a good body shop to match and paint the bumper, shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks. It would take awhile to find a perfect replacement, considering the levels of paint fade in different vehicles. You might not ever find a perfect match honestly.

All the body shops I've taken it to have said the paint is on too thick from a previous repair and told me I should start with a new bumper because any attempt to sand and blend would fail (except Maaco, lol). Cheapest new bumper would be 340ish; there's a body shop that owes me a favor but I doubt I could take care of the whole thing for less than 750.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Been looking on and off for a miata again. I want an NB this time with a hard top, preferably an 01+.

The transmission on this one made me cry. Still probably a good deal considering the miles and hard top. Paint looks terrible and maybe he could be low balled into selling it cheaper. Not worth the effort to me to try and flip and while keeping the top though. Have at it, meatpimp. :v:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/4502068461.html

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Oh heck yes, scored a full MSM suspension for $250 shipped. What will I need to do to install this in my 97, or will it drop in with no mods or changes needed?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

blk posted:

All the body shops I've taken it to have said the paint is on too thick from a previous repair and told me I should start with a new bumper because any attempt to sand and blend would fail (except Maaco, lol). Cheapest new bumper would be 340ish; there's a body shop that owes me a favor but I doubt I could take care of the whole thing for less than 750.

Well, if I go the Maaco route it's 650. Hrmm.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

opengl128 posted:

Oh heck yes, scored a full MSM suspension for $250 shipped. What will I need to do to install this in my 97, or will it drop in with no mods or changes needed?

Pull out old suspension, put in new suspension. Buy new eccentrics, get an alignment.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Phone posted:

Pull out old suspension, put in new suspension. Buy new eccentrics, get an alignment.

Sweet. My all original suspension at 148k is tired to say the least.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Don't you need NB tophats in the rear, or are they included with the MSM takeoffs?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

TrueChaos posted:

Don't you need NB tophats in the rear, or are they included with the MSM takeoffs?

Good question. Maybe?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Yeah, you need NB top hats.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I have the FM vmaxx NA suspension and i love it.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
just picked up a 92 miata, for $1500 :feelsgood:

It is actually really nice and I feel bad about using it as a donor for my exocet and parting out the body and interior.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Don't feel too bad, the 1.6L dash looks GREAT.

Joe Mama posted:

Yeah, you need NB top hats.

This. P/N is NC10-28-340C: http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/SHEET%2CSPRING%252dUPPER-%28NC10%252d28%252d340C%29.html

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Holdbrooks posted:

just picked up a 92 miata, for $1500 :feelsgood:

It is actually really nice and I feel bad about using it as a donor for my exocet and parting out the body and interior.

You're going to be posting build pics of this, yes? You can't just say that and leave us hanging.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

saint gerald posted:

You're going to be posting build pics of this, yes? You can't just say that and leave us hanging.

Yeah, the will be a new thread soon, I'm stuck at work for the next several days.

Also I plan on dumping the 1.6 in the truck and want turbo it with some mega squirt. How much power can those things take on e85 without building a motor?

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Holdbrooks posted:

Yeah, the will be a new thread soon, I'm stuck at work for the next several days.

Also I plan on dumping the 1.6 in the truck and want turbo it with some mega squirt. How much power can those things take on e85 without building a motor?

Sweeeeet. Do you have the parts from Exocet yet?

Sensible max power is probably about 250 or so before you start breaking stuff, assuming you Do It Right (TM).

(Actually there is nothing sensible about a 250HP Exocet. Nothing at all.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Replace the rods and you're "good" for 400, everything else starts failing at that point, but the rods start going at 250.