Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BobFromMarketing posted:

Alright so in my time looking at the Necron rules I have come across the synaptic disintegrator which has a strength of X. What exactly does that X mean? Is the strength variable? Does it always wound on a certain number? I really need to get the main rulebook :vomarine:

It's a sniper weapon. It wounds on a 4+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Post 9-11 User posted:

Clueless? Nice hate speech, cishet scum. He actually calls a set of models, "So handsome!" He's adorable.

*Sees army of dickbikes. "I'm going to say a big yes to that!" :gay:

Yeah, the word choice is what cracks me up the most. It really is funny in an adorable kind of way

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BobFromMarketing posted:

Alright so in my time looking at the Necron rules I have come across the synaptic disintegrator which has a strength of X. What exactly does that X mean? Is the strength variable? Does it always wound on a certain number? I really need to get the main rulebook :vomarine:

I believe that the synaptic disintegrator is sniper, so look up the rules for that.

"SX" doesn't have a meaning by itself, and is usually along with other rules (like something that forces toughness tests might be SX).

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Fix posted:

It's a sniper weapon. It wounds on a 4+.

LordAba posted:

I believe that the synaptic disintegrator is sniper, so look up the rules for that.

"SX" doesn't have a meaning by itself, and is usually along with other rules (like something that forces toughness tests might be SX).

Thank you very much.

So it is effectively always the same strength as whatever it is hitting.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

BobFromMarketing posted:

Thank you very much.

So it is effectively always the same strength as whatever it is hitting.

That was quite literally how the sniper rule was worded in 3rd/4th edition. Made a mess of certain things, it used to be that Grotesques (now Wracks) could only be wounded by Str5 or greater, if I recall correctly. Sniper was "supposed" to wound them like normal but since it's Str=T wasn't high enough... I think it's been a fixed roll with no Str=T verbiage to muddy the waters.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

BobFromMarketing posted:

"X" usually means that strength isn't applicable. I don't know anything about 'crons, really, but when you see an X, that generally means that some other effect, takes place where you would normally use the Strength or whatever it happens to be, stat.

Edit: You guys post fast.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
Double post.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
So, I was playing some games today, and it seems that, rules as written, one can take jink saves on skimmers that haven't moved. Actually, you can even take jink saves on skimmers that are immobilized!

Apparently you can also take jink saves on FMC's when they aren't swooping (granting nurgle princes a permanent 2+ cover save with their shrouding).

I actually like some of the changes made to 7th edition, but this just reeks of poor planning and no playtesting.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

TsarZiedonis posted:

this just reeks of poor planning and no playtesting.

Welcome to Warhammer, enjoy your stay.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

BobFromMarketing posted:

The weapon answer has already been provided, however you might want to look for Imperial Armour vol. 12, there are a bunch of Necron-specific units and rules in there as well.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hixson posted:

In case this was ever in question: playing against a Warhound in a sub 2000pt game is no fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peXSp6Jxt0Y

This is basically how this game went. Get good kid.

panascope fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 2, 2014

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

TsarZiedonis posted:

So, I was playing some games today, and it seems that, rules as written, one can take jink saves on skimmers that haven't moved. Actually, you can even take jink saves on skimmers that are immobilized!

The immobilized thing seems odd for sure. You can take a jink save on a skimmer that hasn't moved but now you incur the snapshot penalty for the next shooting phase.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

koreban posted:

The weapon answer has already been provided, however you might want to look for Imperial Armour vol. 12, there are a bunch of Necron-specific units and rules in there as well.

And an awesome campaign system and story!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The army list in there is really really good. Did the new book mention Forgeworld models at all? I don't recall it doing so.

Found this funny trying to find it

The three aspects of the Warhammer 40,000 hobby are so deep that you can spend a lifetime exploring only one, discovering new possibilities at every step.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 2, 2014

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp
And each of them deeper than the wallet of nations

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BuffaloChicken posted:

Touched up my Harker squad, even though Harker is garbage in the new book. Real sad - this was probably my favorite squad last edition. I'd often drop a shotgun for a Heavy Flamer or some other special weapon. Although, looking at it now, those two guys on the left have the same head. I just got some new Space Wolf heads, so may chop the head off one and swap it for something shaggier.

The new Squat Veterans and psyker are almost done with the converting. All the tree Daemons are primed and ready - they'll be next on my painting table.

Also almost done with these two commission conversions. A Cadian into a Tallarn, and Catachan Harker into a Mordian Harker.

Also, battle shots! My brother took these quite a while ago and only just uploaded them. You can see my Eldar Scout Titan doesn't have the vines painted on it yet, and all the temple terrain is more green and lush now.

EDIT: We got real drunk so I don't remember the game too well but the hovering Vendetta exploded and a piece of airplane flew out and smushed my Farseer. Pretty cool to have your Warlord scythed down by exploding jet shrapnel, so it was a good game. I forget who won.

This is from pages buck this this owns so hard. I took your Mega Blocks base recommendation and found a bunch of old Mega Blocks base plates to use as terrain bases when I finally get around to making more scenery for my table. I'm planning on making the temple project from the old How to Make Wargames Terrain that GW put out back in the mid 90s and mounting it on said base.

Also PS that Mordian Harker owns. Post pictures once it's painted!

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Yo, Ghost Hand, after listening to so much of your podcast I've been indoctrinated into getting some of that soft foam to protect my miniatures, with a hard case to protect the soft foam. £60 worth of KR case on its way to me...

E: Anyone have experience with camo cloak sniper scouts? I'm looking at getting maybe 5-10 of them for a second troops choice in my Sternguard drop pod force. 2+ save in bolstered cover, plink away with some rending hits... cheap.

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 2, 2014

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
You should use wolf scouts instead :v:

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Guys. Guys guys guys.

Welcome to Dakka.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

I know there are no Orkz pictured here, but this right here is the most Orky Picture.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That's pretty awesome. Also that paint jobs pretty boss.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Lord Twisted posted:

Yo, Ghost Hand, after listening to so much of your podcast I've been indoctrinated into getting some of that soft foam to protect my miniatures, with a hard case to protect the soft foam. £60 worth of KR case on its way to me...

E: Anyone have experience with camo cloak sniper scouts? I'm looking at getting maybe 5-10 of them for a second troops choice in my Sternguard drop pod force. 2+ save in bolstered cover, plink away with some rending hits... cheap.

Careful - you start with a couple of cases, then swap another army over in its entirety to KR foam, and before you know it:

Not pictured are the 4 cases in the KRM4 carrying case. No, I don't have a problem. :shepspends:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Zhent posted:

Careful - you start with a couple of cases, then swap another army over in its entirety to KR foam, and before you know it:

Not pictured are the 4 cases in the KRM4 carrying case. No, I don't have a problem. :shepspends:

You say a problem - I say a neat and logical way to store your stuff! Far better than my current haphazard solution of using the boxes they came in. The super-heavy ones look perfect... oh god.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Yeah I have a half-dozen of those for my Warmachine armies and I'm going to start slipping in 40k cartridges too. I love KR.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Dumb question time, this time about Transports and the effects of damage on passengers:

If a Transport is hit multiple times in a phase and receives multiple results on the damage chart (for example, Crew Shaken and Crew Stunned) do the passengers have to make multiple Ld tests, or just one? Likewise, if a Transport is Wrecked or Explodes and also receives one of the lesser results, is the unit also affected by the lesser results or does the higher result trump the lesser ones?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Guys, guys, enough about this game we all hate. He finished it, he actually finished it:

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Lord Twisted posted:

You say a problem - I say a neat and logical way to store your stuff! Far better than my current haphazard solution of using the boxes they came in. The super-heavy ones look perfect... oh god.

If you're looking for something on the cheap I use Plano toolboxes to hold my armies. In this picture is an Ork, High Elf, and Wood Elf army in 2 containers with room for many more models still. The top of the thinner box works great for tall models like my Araknarok and various dragons/phoenix/hawks etc. The purple box to the right is my bits box separated based off type of bit.

The one in the center is the larger version of one of Plano's middle models, ran me like 40 bucks at Wal-Mart but its around 80 on their website. No idea why.

BobFromMarketing fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 2, 2014

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I want to try a guard blob with Tigurius so he can cast Invisibility on them. Something about making 50+ guys only getting hit on 6s seems pretty good. Has anybody else done this yet?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

Guys, guys, enough about this game we all hate. He finished it, he actually finished it:

Good god drat this page is amazing.

panascope posted:

I want to try a guard blob with Tigurius so he can cast Invisibility on them. Something about making 50+ guys only getting hit on 6s seems pretty good. Has anybody else done this yet?
That sounds incredibly frustrating to fight. gently caress that spell. gently caress it hard.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Rules for the FW Cerastus Knight Lancer are up.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Lungboy posted:

Randomized things are good sometimes. If an infantry blob chooses to Run and it only moves 1", no big deal. But a 400 point model choosing Flank Speed that rolls triple 1's for a total of 3" movement?

"The shock lance ... is a magneto-hydraulic power spear of prodigious size ..." Oh... oh ho ho oo... oh my! :sweatdrop: :kimchi:

I see it can gently caress up things in close combat, but not phenomenally well, and has almost no shooting ability. Might help if the shield is a CCW, which is probably isn't.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

panascope posted:

Try to give them Forewarning as well.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Try to give them Forewarning as well.

Oh of course. And give them an Inquisitor with a Psyocculum so they're BS10 against other units with Psykers.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

RCross posting my 3rd tourney list I actually did good with. Andy Chambers signed it too. Woo woo.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lungboy posted:

The shooting attack is a little lame compared to a double-shot battle cannon or a large blast melta, but that model is amazing. :allears:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

The shooting attack is a little lame compared to a double-shot battle cannon or a large blast melta, but that model is amazing. :allears:

You don't really want the cerastus to be shooting at things though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

panascope posted:

Oh of course. And give them an Inquisitor with a Psyocculum so they're BS10 against other units with Psykers.

Yes. Be sure to include a priest to make them fearless or were you already going to do that?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

RCross posting my 3rd tourney list I actually did good with. Andy Chambers signed it too. Woo woo.

"Never give up, self-reliant."

Hollismason posted:

Yes. Be sure to include a priest to make them fearless or were you already going to do that?

Yep, 25 points to make a whole unit fearless is pretty crucial.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

LingcodKilla posted:

Awesome man. My 3rd ed rulebook is signed by Mr. Chambers because he was on our flight out to Gencon - he overheard my friend complaining about the 3rd ed DE rulebook and loudly attacking Jervis Johnson, and he cut in and was like "hey, I work with the guy, chill out". Very chill guy.

panascope posted:

"Never give up, self-reliant."

Salamanders rules! They didn't have to take all-on-their-own checks, I believe. One of my other friends played Salamanders back in the day, not sure what he did with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

panascope posted:

I wonder how obscene you could make this. Play Unbound so you can take Azrael as well for the 4++, take a Priest so you can re-roll that save, maybe a Primaris Psyker or two to roll on Sanctic and see if you can increase the Invuln to a 3++...

• Locked thread