Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

ah, okay. that's interesting, but everyone who used them had them mundane anyway so I guess it doesn't matter. :v:

Not true at all. Raw Avelyn was good but not OP and useable by most builds. Now Raw Avelyn is completely worthless. I don't get why they didn't just make it so you can't infuse it with Mundane.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I wanted to try a close ranged/melee-focused build, so I decided to make a character from a show I've been watching.

It's Kars from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure! Or at least a somewhat reasonable facsimile. I haven't looked into it, but I'm pretty sure there are armor pieces to replicate his clothes. I guess it's a pretty obscure reference, but I think I'll try it out.

As long as you made sure to name him properly I'm sure someone'll get it. Also when you do co-op blair the dubstep song over your mic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

argondamn posted:

Soul Memory is the boogeyman

Soul memory means it's harder for me to endlessly kill new players in low level areas with a twinked-out super character they can't possibly win against. With soul memory I can't get effortless nonstop reassurance that I'm good at videogames!!

Maybe it pushes you into tiers of matchmaking on a character that you wouldn't want to progress but it's nice to actually get to play the game early on without getting randomly interrupted by identical twink dicks that pointlessly waste your time. With literally no protection against invasions anymore besides spending items to shut off direct online altogether, I sure as hell wouldn't want to see anything else changed that would favor them. Unfortunately hackers/cheaters are currently doing their best to make it just as much of a headache as in Dark Souls 1.

I got so few souls from beating phantoms summoned in the Grave of Saints at low soul memory that I would have had to win 50-100 more fights before it would have pushed me to a higher tier anyway (after 15 wins or so). Instead it was a hacker suiciding that did it for me. I know summon signs and higher level fights raise your soul memory way faster than the rat team, but just like Dark Souls 1 it wasn't the system that hosed it up as much as it was the players.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Genocyber posted:

Since all buffs seem to last longer with stat investment now, can someone see if this applies to the two hexes that nullify weapon hits and spells, respectively? I'm curious if they last longer than a few seconds now.

I just gave them a try, at 50 int and faith. They still last only as long as it takes for you to put your staff down and control your character again.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I need some help on the Ancient Dragon boss fight. The first thing it does when I enter the arena is jump up in the air and do that instant kill flame breath. It doesn't seem like I have enough time to run behind him, and I die trying to hug the door I came through. Is it possible to avoid this at the start of the fight?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rest in piece +10 Pyromancy Flame at SL1.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Soul memory means it's harder for me to endlessly kill new players in low level areas with a twinked-out super character they can't possibly win against. With soul memory I can't get effortless nonstop reassurance that I'm good at videogames!!

Literally no one is arguing this.

quote:

Maybe it pushes you into tiers of matchmaking on a character that you wouldn't want to progress but it's nice to actually get to play the game early on without getting randomly interrupted by identical twink dicks that pointlessly waste your time. With literally no protection against invasions anymore besides spending items to shut off direct online altogether, I sure as hell wouldn't want to see anything else changed that would favor them. Unfortunately hackers/cheaters are currently doing their best to make it just as much of a headache as in Dark Souls 1.

You can turn off invaders while still having the passive multiplayer. There's the baby blue covenant you can join as soon as you start the game to get protectors (and if low level invaders became common so would low level protectors). The fact that the player pool is so high would limit invasions a bit, and there's also the invasion cooldown timer so it's unlikely you'd be invaded more than once in an area.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

FutonForensic posted:

I need some help on the Ancient Dragon boss fight. The first thing it does when I enter the arena is jump up in the air and do that instant kill flame breath. It doesn't seem like I have enough time to run behind him, and I die trying to hug the door I came through. Is it possible to avoid this at the start of the fight?
If that happens at the opening, two hand the Gyrm Greatshield or equip the Gowers Ring and face away from the fire.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does two-handing a shield do anything for you besides more stability?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

Your first mistake was starting the fight.

As for the first fire breath, run at him and just a little to the side, if you're under/behind his head when the flames come out you're safe. Don't try to spin around him or play the ranged game or anything. Run up in his toe, whale on it/shoot him in the face with lock-on, then get ready to run away again.

EDIT: Oh, you mean he started with the air fire?

That's never happened to me. Whoops. It's kind of a wash trying to get "behind" when he flies up in the air, whoever thought up that tactic is apparently a lot better at the game than the average player if he could get it to work, and it's a piece of advice I see a lot of for some reason. The flying fire attack is one you just have to plain run away from.

Runa fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 3, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cyberventurer posted:

I just gave them a try, at 50 int and faith. They still last only as long as it takes for you to put your staff down and control your character again.

Yeah, I get the feeling those operate on an "animation" basis rather than "a buff applied for a duration" basis. Increasing their duration would be like trying to increase soul greatsword's duration.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 3, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

You can attack to bump things with it for a (usually) very small amount of damage and knockback. It's pretty useless unless you made some kind of offensive shield build, but I did bump an enemy off a cliff once when I thought I had my weapon two-handed but instead had the shield.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

FutonForensic posted:

Ok stop, stop doing this. Stop banging your head against a wall. I have fought him five times, on PS3 and PC, and it was bullshit every time, with every build, at every level. They say there are ways to make him not do that thing that kills you instantly but those are superstitions. Nothing can control whether he decides it's time for you to die or not.

Just go get gower's ring of protection and the fight is 100% exactly as challenging w/r/t not getting stepped on or chomped but when he decides to nuke you from orbit you will survive and keep fighting as per usual. And you don't spend forty goddamn minutes running to safety every twelve seconds only to run out of room and fall off the edge anymore. There is no glory or sense of satisfaction in doing it the hard way. At best you say "loving finally!" just angry at the waste of your time. Just get the ring.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Just got an invader in heide's powerstancing two old whips and had easily 2000+ health as hitting him for 300 damage barely made his health bar move.

Even worse I was in way of the blue and a blue phantom was summoned in to help me.... who was afk and did nothing for the entire fight but just stand there. Had to take a break after that.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

It lets people with less than the required 32 strength to properly block with it. It is a tower shield, after all. Not every build is beefy enough to use it, but most at least have the 16 strength to two-hand it. A lot of people forget that that is possible, so most folks suggesting it add in "two hands!" as a reminder.

But hey, if you got the muscles for it and like 20 endurance, you should have the stamina to single-hand block with it just fine.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

FutonForensic posted:

Grab a Gyrm shield and block it, and all the other attacks. There are a couple videos that use the Gyrm shield if you need an exact strat.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Ran into my first cheater today. Got him to tumble off a cliff. Well done, Mr. Moistman. 1 VAC ban on record. Kinda wish they hadn't shut it off now.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Go and point out where anyone posted anything like this. Also, SM doesn't stop that buddy. It barely stops it by eventually forcing you out of the SM range of new players, but there's nothing stopping someone from making a new character. Or copying their save file and replacing it when they get too many souls. Or just using a cheat program to artificially lower their SM.

Meanwhile SM introduces a problem where honest invaders like me can't get a fair match. I have no control over being matched with someone that can actually fight me properly since SM doesn't accurately reflect character strength. So if anything the twinking problem is worse since you can't control if you actually get fair fights. If someone fucks up their SM, they are at a permanent disadvantage.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It's pretty inconvenient that I now need to edit my soul memory to 0 with my Havels Magic Shield character and murder newbies, I think Gestalt Intellect have a point.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Actually someone should do exactly that, but never attack, just be in the way all the time with all the health and all the armor.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

FutonForensic posted:

If he's jumping up immediately, you need to run into his arena faster. His attacks are caused by where you are in relation to him. If you're near his back foot, he stomps, but won't do it more than once or twice. If you're near his tail or between his legs, he can (and will) fire at his crotch. Best method I found without Gyrm or Gowers was to swap between his back feet, baiting the stomp, and watch his head. His head will tell you if he's going to jump up. If he does, book it towards his tail. Being naked save for your weapon helps with this, as you do run a little faster if you're low encumbrance. Have fun.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Go and point out where anyone posted anything like this. Also, SM doesn't stop that buddy. It barely stops it by eventually forcing you out of the SM range of new players, but there's nothing stopping someone from making a new character. Or copying their save file and replacing it when they get too many souls. Or just using a cheat program to artificially lower their SM.

To be fair, if we're going to include people outright hacking the game and changing the numbers inside to suit their whim, a Soul-Level based PvP limiter isn't going to do jack poo poo either. Or any PvP limitations, for that matter.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've got my white ring, I've got my warmth, I've got my lifedrain patch. Let's go "help" people in the belfries. :v:

e: Oh it takes longer to make the patch then they spend in the door to the gargoyles. That's sad.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 3, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cowcaster posted:

To be fair, if we're going to include people outright hacking the game and changing the numbers inside to suit their whim, a Soul-Level based PvP limiter isn't going to do jack poo poo either. Or any PvP limitations, for that matter.

SL PvP didn't carry a ton of downsides with it though. If the SM system actually worked then maybe people might be willing to tolerate the downsides that come with it. But it doesn't. Its trivial to work around and only hampers people that play the game legitimately.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Twenty five attempts on the Smelter Demon now on my dex build. I can't kill him by myself with two +10 Falchions. Every time, both people I summon to help have been killed by his radial blast. They just rush right the gently caress on in. Each time, I regain my humanity by helping someone else kill him. Why can't any of these people who don't die stupidly or who chuck a million lightning bolts be there for me to summon?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

NeurosisHead posted:

Twenty five attempts on the Smelter Demon now on my dex build. I can't kill him by myself with two +10 Falchions. Every time, both people I summon to help have been killed by his radial blast. They just rush right the gently caress on in. Each time, I regain my humanity by helping someone else kill him. Why can't any of these people who don't die stupidly or who chuck a million lightning bolts be there for me to summon?

Just summon Lucatiel and have her tank him for you. It becomes a race to see how much damage you can do at that point.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

Have you tried poison? He can be poisoned, though he has so much health it isn't really going to be incredibly effective, but it's a possibly tactic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NeurosisHead posted:

If you're soul memory 5.8 million and in NG+ I can help. Soul memory might suck but the name-engraved ring is super useful and great for co-op!

e: 1.8 mil on my melee char but I know how to back off.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 3, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NeurosisHead posted:

It would be nice if you (and other people) posted your Soul Memory. If you want goon help, that is.. I have several characters at different parts of the game/SM so I might be able to help some places :3:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Your Computer posted:

It would be nice if you (and other people) posted your Soul Memory. If you want goon help, that is.. I have several characters at different parts of the game/SM so I might be able to help some places :3:

I appreciate it, but I'm not really looking for goon help on it. Around 800k SM though, I think, maybe a hair less, and in NG. It's just super frustrating to watch people who (presumably) should know better charging in and getting blown up. I've also had problems with Lucatiel never entering the fog door, so I've given up on her at this point.

He can actually be poisoned though? I figured since he was made of metal and fire he was immune.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Don't summon for Smelter ever. Even for Lucatiel's quest (use the other bosses). Phantoms give Smelter a significant boost to his already exceptional health, and I remember reading something about how it may give him more defense as well.

NeurosisHead posted:

I appreciate it, but I'm not really looking for goon help on it. Around 800k SM though, I think, maybe a hair less, and in NG. It's just super frustrating to watch people who (presumably) should know better charging in and getting blown up. I've also had problems with Lucatiel never entering the fog door, so I've given up on her at this point.

He can actually be poisoned though? I figured since he was made of metal and fire he was immune.

You'd be surprised what can (or cannot be) poisoned. If you're a dex build upgrade a Ricard's Rapier and infuse it with poison ASAP. One r2 combo (i.e. you press r2 twice in succession so it does a larger combo) will poison anything that can be poisoned, and it does help against Smelter a bit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've heard the only bosses that can be poisoned are Vendrick and the Ancient Dragon. Some bosses are more resistant to it than others though so it can be harder to get the status to take effect without multiple casts.

Smelter is really easy to poison though. He's big and doesn't move around much so he will generally stand in the cloud long enough to be poisoned.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Internet Kraken posted:

I've heard the only bosses that can be poisoned are Vendrick and the Ancient Dragon. Some bosses are more resistant to it than others though so it can be harder to get the status to take effect without multiple casts.

Smelter is really easy to poison though. He's big and doesn't move around much so he will generally stand in the cloud long enough to be poisoned.

I tried to poison Nakja and Freja and never got it to stick. I'm going to assume Mytha is immune though I haven't tested it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NeurosisHead posted:

It's just super frustrating to watch people who (presumably) should know better charging in and getting blown up.

There are some hilariously stupid people out there, waiting to be summoned. I've summoned people at Old Iron King who literally ran straight up to him and fell into the lava. :downs:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Your Computer posted:

There are some hilariously stupid people out there, waiting to be summoned. I've summoned people at Old Iron King who literally ran straight up to him and fell into the lava. :downs:

One time I got summoned to fight the Old Iron King and 5 seconds into the fight I dodge rolled into the tiny pit of lava near the entrance :saddowns:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

One time in NG+ I was hanging around getting summoned to help people deal with the chariot and I went into a guy's world, expertly cleared out all the crazy red phantoms on posts for him, and then preceded immediately to slam myself through the hole in the bridge.

Ever since I badmouthed bloodstains falling off cliffs in this thread I've been cursed.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Pretty sure that dying as a phantom in a way that you makes you look incompetent is a rite of passage.

I cleared out two invaders from the Belfry today only to die to fall damage trying to roll away from a dwarf.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In a coordinated coop run, having your second randomly-summoned phantom die moments into the fight just adds that extra bit of challenge for your teamwork to overcome!

I think it's a good idea to try to beat every boss once on your own so you at least know not to do things like run at smelter demon when he plants his sword in the ground. Getting summoned to someone who hasn't drained the poison for Mytha is just painful.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Internet Kraken posted:

One time I got summoned to fight the Old Iron King and 5 seconds into the fight I dodge rolled into the tiny pit of lava near the entrance :saddowns:

I've never summoned or been summoned for OIK but I've managed to do this entirely on my own, multiple times. The majority of my OIK deaths are from waltzing right into the lava like an idiot.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

It wasn't as bad as the time in Undead Crypt where I spent some time getting summoned at the second bonfire immediately after lighting it to learn the area, and helping people clear Veldstadt mostly by taking the route over the shortcut bridge.

I did it just long enough that when I felt it was my turn, I rallied a few phantoms at the bonfire, took off in a full sprint through those couple of rights, and fell into the black abyss because I hadn't let down the bridge in my game yet.

In my defense there were adult beverages involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've decided to start a new game as a punchmans (and maybe rapiers if I feel like it since I haven't used them yet) in the covenant of champions. I should go about it by going 40/40 str/dex, and not infusing the caestus, right? How about hooks or claws? Should I make them poison or bleed? Should I make a backup pair of poison caestus?