Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
I was having terrible texture popping and flashing on my top-end system until I turned off Vsync.

The visible screen tearing is not nearly as immersion breaking nor seizure inducing.

Best Regards,
RG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I just saw an ad for TNO when watching Louie tonight. I think it's the first time I've ever seen a Wolfenstein game advertised on TV.

On game related tangents, since I am decidedly not familiar with much Hebrew stuff, I actually looked up what "Shimshon" meant, turns out Set addresses BJ as Samson. I did a little refresher reading, and it makes a lot of sense with the parallels to BJ.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Broose posted:

I think you are right. It's either a remix or just a short snip on repeat. Maybe someday when everyone and their mother are not putting out "walkthroughs" (read: nerd voice over a poo poo recording quality) people uploading ripped music will be able to be found on youtube.
I really hate this trend of video walkthroughs. It takes forever to find something if you're just looking for the location of one thing, something that can be found so much quicker in a text document.

kefkafloyd posted:

On game related tangents, since I am decidedly not familiar with much Hebrew stuff, I actually looked up what "Shimshon" meant, turns out Set addresses BJ as Samson. I did a little refresher reading, and it makes a lot of sense with the parallels to BJ.
That's pretty cool.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

I don't see it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I need to wound nazis and stab them more often. BJ just grabbed one by the hair and shanked him three times in the loving skull :black101:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I love how when an officer spots you creepin on him you get a second or two to dash the last few feet and knife him in the skull. The surprised looks on their faces really sell it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's the simple punch that makes me giggle. Knocks the guy's arms aside then BONK. :haw:

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

Prenton posted:

What's all this on the Gibraltar Bridge level?

"Why Torbjörn?" is also in Starbreeze's Syndicate according to Google.

Torbjörn and Emil are level designers from the old Starbreeze days, and they're always whining and blaming the other one for building hosed Up poo poo. Those phrases are sort of an in-joke now, they're in The Darkness and Riddick too.
I know Emil at least had a terrible time building the collision hulls for the Gibraltar level.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Broose posted:

I think you are right. It's either a remix or just a short snip on repeat. Maybe someday when everyone and their mother are not putting out "walkthroughs" (read: nerd voice over a poo poo recording quality) people uploading ripped music will be able to be found on youtube.

Those 'walkthroughs' are actually Let's Plays. But the person doesn't want to use the term Let's Play for some reason, or thinks that the term walkthrough gathers more hits.

Annoyingly, some actual 'walkthroughs' are effectively Let's Plays without commentary as they are blind runs where the player is trying to figure things out as they go along. Of course, some people want to see someone just playing a game without commentary, but generally when people look up a walkthrough they want it to be informative.

Ravenfood posted:

I really hate this trend of video walkthroughs. It takes forever to find something if you're just looking for the location of one thing, something that can be found so much quicker in a text document.

I was pleased to discover that some youtubers have created nice concise videos showing the locations of individual collectibles, so you can just look up the location of one thing. Don't search for the word walkthrough, just search for the chapter name and the type of collectible you are looking for.

kefkafloyd posted:

I just saw an ad for TNO when watching Louie tonight. I think it's the first time I've ever seen a Wolfenstein game advertised on TV.

They've been advertising it frequently on British TV, from a week before release, and they are still advertising it. And there's loads of posters for it on the London Underground.

I guess they figured that Nazi-controlled 1960s London (and other European locations) would make it particularly of interest to a British audience, and it would appear they were right, as in the UK it's been the best-selling game so far this year (Titanfall being number 1). Brits love seeing Britain in games. And they love stabbing Nazis.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 3, 2014

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

your evil twin posted:

They've been advertising it frequently on British TV, from a week before release, and they are still advertising it. And there's loads of posters for it on the London Underground.

I guess they figured that Nazi-controlled 1960s London (and other European locations) would make it particularly of interest to a British audience, and it would appear they were right, as in the UK it's been the best-selling game so far this year (Titanfall being number 1). Brits love seeing Britain in games. And they love stabbing Nazis.

Also Brits love stabbing Nazis in Britain :v:

So is there no occult whatsoever? Kinda making me think twice about picking it up since I loved that in Wolf2009 and RTCW. Was there any occult in Wolf3d? I can't remember.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

I think the occult stuff started with the prequel/sequel Spear of Destiny. The full version of Wolfenstein 3D had zombies but they were created by nazi superscience.

TNO doesn't exactly have occult, but it does have ancient superadvanced technology. And in fact that's what was at the heart of Wolf09: the ancient Thule Civilisation figured out how to tap into another dimension, and the Nazis get ahold of that stuff and build death rays etc.

Wolf09 also had the secret Paranormal Division base where the Elite Guards and Scribes had drawn magic circles on the floor and that kind of stuff. If it weren't for that, you could dismiss the occult aspect as 'sufficiently advanced technology indistinguishable from magic', which is the angle that TNO takes.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 3, 2014

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wolfenstein 3D had the fireball throwing Hitler clones in the last level(s) of Episode 3.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Just finished it, loved it, but I just wanted to build a home in the country somewhere and bang Anya forever. GIVE ME HAPPY TIMES.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

So is there no occult whatsoever? Kinda making me think twice about picking it up since I loved that in Wolf2009 and RTCW. Was there any occult in Wolf3d? I can't remember.

There's crazy super-science that may as well be magic but no actual occult stuff, no.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Also Brits love stabbing Nazis in Britain :v:

Trust us, even if you miss that aspect of the game, if you enjoyed wolf09, you really want to play this game.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

echronorian posted:

I don't see it.

Samson, the chiseled giant of a man, slew a thousand Philistines with just the jawbone of a donkey. For revenge after being blinded, he took the Philistine temple down with him when he died, killing their leaders in the process.

I mean, it's not high symbolism, but it's plausible.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

your evil twin posted:

I think the occult stuff started with the prequel/sequel Spear of Destiny. The full version of Wolfenstein 3D had zombies but they were created by nazi superscience.

TNO doesn't exactly have occult, but it does have ancient superadvanced technology. And in fact that's what was at the heart of Wolf09: the ancient Thule Civilisation figured out how to tap into another dimension, and the Nazis get ahold of that stuff and build death rays etc.

Wolf09 also had the secret Paranormal Division base where the Elite Guards and Scribes had drawn magic circles on the floor and that kind of stuff. If it weren't for that, you could dismiss the occult aspect as 'sufficiently advanced technology indistinguishable from magic', which is the angle that TNO takes.

The original Wolf3D has Vampire Not Hitlers throwing fireballs at you. That's pretty occultish

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I never saw those as anything other than puppets that had flamethrowers in their guts. Is there some occult explanation in the manual or something?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

superh posted:

I never saw those as anything other than puppets that had flamethrowers in their guts. Is there some occult explanation in the manual or something?
According to the manual, that's what they are - puppets with flamethrowers.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Dunno if people caught that Catherine told BJ that they would come get him before they nuked the place during the sequence before Bubis syringe ambush.
Which means that the helicopter sound after the credits isn't a mystery.

How many play throughs are people up to by now?

Lazer Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 3, 2014

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I was doing a Ironman as my third run through, after doing Death Incarnate and Uber runs, and doing very well. I got up to the bridge, but decided to go to bed. Unfortunately it turns out you can't even quit out or else it erases your progress like you have died.

I wonder what Uber is like on a new playthrough cause it was piss easy as my second, not that DI was challenging either.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Lazer Monkey posted:

How many play throughs are people up to by now?
I have done normal, hard, uber, and 999 mode. Going to try iton man this weekend

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Broose posted:

I was doing a Ironman as my third run through, after doing Death Incarnate and Uber runs, and doing very well. I got up to the bridge, but decided to go to bed. Unfortunately it turns out you can't even quit out or else it erases your progress like you have died.

I wonder what Uber is like on a new playthrough cause it was piss easy as my second, not that DI was challenging either.

OK that's bullshit. No deaths, sure... but No saving at all so the entire game has to be played in one session? Urgh. That means you are supposed to leave your PC or console running all night. That is not environmentally friendly! Or good for your electricity bill. Or for your computer components, as with the game still running it's all going to be working hard and hot.

I guess the reason for that is to prevent you doing some tricky with the save file... on PC you could alt tab out and regularly make a backup of your save file in case you died. And I imagine on console there might be some way to copy your save file while keeping the game running.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle
Lasercutter

Just like the Laserkraftwerk the Lasercutter went through a couple of redesigns. The idea was that it shouldn't really look like a weapon but more like a hightech tool.
The first one was very simpel:

The final one had some added details and...stuff. :)

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle

Broose posted:

PAnick, were the guys who made the music inspired by Mark Morgan's stuff sometimes? Der Mond and London Nautica sound like I'm listening to something from Fallout 2.

Wow no idea but I'll ask our sound/music guys tomorrow.

kefkafloyd posted:

Seriously, PAnick, if you have any way to get comments to the music people in this game, let them know they knocked it out of the freaking park. Ransacked is getting universal praise from everyone I share it with.

Sure thing, I'll let them know! We at the office were so happy/relieved when we got to hear the music for the first time. You usually work on a game for a pretty long while before you know how anything will sound.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Just finished it, looking back Uber might have been a bit ambitious for a first run. Absolutely loved every moment of it. I've not stopped listening to Ransacked since I reached the credits, it kicking in when you steal the choppers is definitely one of the stand out bits (also when it plays as you plummet into the Nautica from the moon :black101:).

I think my favourite moment is Tekla saying each person need to kill 19 Nazis to win the fight. She says she's got 11 in the pile and 7 by other means. Then she takes out 2 more before getting gunned down, taking her to 20 total.
BJ has only killed 13 Nazis at this point (+ 2 drones). Get your poo poo together Blasko!

Final count is better for BJ: 22 soldiers, 2 Supersoldaten, 2 drones, one Panzerhund

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

I really liked the lasercutter! I was almost a little sad at how it got thrown away when I found the laserkraftwerk. Of course the LFK is better in every way.

I was very pleased when I got the upgrade that allowed me to the laser cutter as an actual laser gun. Wasn't especially powerful - seemed about the same as the ordinary pistol - but since you only get melee weapons during the first half of the prison chapter, it's pretty satisfying being able to say "eat laser!" and zap prison guards before they can reach you.

Also, was pleased to discover it is armour-piercing, a few shots were able to take down a heavy guy with shotguns.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Has anyone seen any news on how well Wolf:TNO did sales wise? It was up on Steam's top 10 for a while. I really hope it did well since it really deserves it.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It charted number 1 in the UK for a while. Still think it's a top seller.

The timing of release boosting sales plus the fact it's a good game probably means we're getting more Wolfenstein.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 4, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
It's still on top 10 Steam, and the competition is really between it and Watch_~1.exe because all the other ones are the obvious sales games.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Anecdotally, I was on the fence about buying it full price day one but with nothing much to play on ps4 I jumped in and it ended up being my favorite shooter since Max Payne 3.

I wish we were getting even a basic mp mode with Mechs, robot dogs, and dual wielding shotguns.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Any one know the name of the track playing during Blazkos and Anyas first dialog, leaving the asylum?

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
Even an arena mode against increasing waves of AI soldiers would be fun.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Lazer Monkey posted:

Any one know the name of the track playing during Blazkos and Anyas first dialog, leaving the asylum?

It's the second half of the track called "14 Years" I think. Sounds most like it. Starts around 0:52 into the track. Doesn't seem to go on as long as it does in the game though.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

It seems to be the last track, Ende.

Too bad it's so short.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Does anybody know how the Doom Beta operates if you pre-ordered a retail PC version of the game? Am I guaranteed into the beta because it uses Steam?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

General Morden posted:

Does anybody know how the Doom Beta operates if you pre-ordered a retail PC version of the game? Am I guaranteed into the beta because it uses Steam?

More like does anybody know if Doom 4 actually exists. The development on it has been very rocky and id's bleeding the last of its big names.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
On the other hand, Rockstars of development is a 90s thing and Carmack seems like a hindrance from the outside. People idolize the guy but he seems like a terrible person to work with.

Zenimax bought ID very recently in the grand scheme of things. Rage, and now Wolfenstein, are successful games. Maybe not having around a passive aggressive developer who considers 'use' buttons a gimmick, or a flashlight rendering at the same time as a muzzle flash from your characters gun too resource intensive, is a good thing.

Time will tell but ID branding isn't going anywhere. They may not even be the developers on Doom 4, just as machinegames was tapped for Wolfenstein.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 4, 2014

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Rage wasn't considered successful by Zenimax. They even told id to cease work on the sequel once the first didn't do as well as expected.

Doom 4 is being definitely made by id, if it bombs they'll be shut down or have most of its employees laid off and turn into a studio that makes game engines for Zenimax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

GUI posted:

Rage wasn't considered successful by Zenimax. They even told id to cease work on the sequel once the first didn't do as well as expected.

Says who? Because the sales six months after release were just under 3 million, not counting steam. Zenimax bought in late, I'm sure they saw their money back. Rage 2 could've been cancelled for all sorts of reasons.

ID software and Carmack have been really unpredictable for years. Hollenshead or whoever had been left to do project lead is as unorganized as Romero.

Keep in mind Carmack was so angry with the reaction to Doom 3s engine (it's too dark! It all looks the same! ) that he created a new engine with entirely static lighting, where every pixel is unique.

• Locked thread