Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

vulturesrow posted:

It's what happens when young people with some money burning a hole in their pocket and no understanding of how interest rates work go buy a car. It's not stupidity, it's lack of knowledge.

I put all my bonus money in the TSP :wotwot:

In the G fund... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
No, it's stupidity. Even after being told not to buy a car or computer anywhere near a military base because they'll end up getting hosed by interest rates, these idiots do it anyways.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

elite_garbage_man posted:

No, it's stupidity. Even after being told not to buy a car or computer anywhere near a military base because they'll end up getting hosed by interest rates, these idiots do it anyways.

Wait.. People buy computers on credit?

What the gently caress is going on with our military these days?

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Crazy Mike posted:

I put all my bonus money in the TSP :wotwot:

In the G fund... :negative:

Hope you're doing ok today bro, all the D-Day poo poo must be triggering your APFT flashbacks. Stay strong.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Genocide Tendency posted:

I got a laptop on credit once when I was in training because mine got smashed and since we were confined to base I couldn't go out and buy a regular priced one. Only reason I got it on credit was because of the 0% interest rate that the CanEx offers and so I could have money to get drunk on the weekend

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When you say on credit do you mean using a card or actually taking out a line of credit specifically to buy a laptop?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I mean the CanEx itself has an in store credit plan for any member of the CF that has 0% interest

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Genocide Tendency posted:

What the gently caress is going on with our military these days?

Dude, at least when I was there, the mall outside of fort Bragg has these kiosks where moderately hot girls will try to get you to buy over priced "performance" laptops. I don't remember the interest rates, but I do remember figuring out that a buddy of mine was going to pay like $1,900 for a ho hum laptop in 2008. I think it was also weekly payments.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

gleep gloop posted:

Dude, at least when I was there, the mall outside of fort Bragg has these kiosks where moderately hot girls will try to get you to buy over priced "performance" laptops. I don't remember the interest rates, but I do remember figuring out that a buddy of mine was going to pay like $1,900 for a ho hum laptop in 2008. I think it was also weekly payments.

There is a kiosk in the mall here in lovely shithole Pensacola that sells game systems and laptops bundled with games and other accesories and charges the typical rear end rape interest rates and the A-schoolers here eat that poo poo up. I'm pretty sure it is on the off-limits establishments list now. They are still going strong so either I'm wrong about that or the boots here are still buying that poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
At least you can play video games. That's better than those dumbass family crest selling people. Get your family crest and hang it from this sword.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Lmao the loving swords. The PX at Goodfellow had a sword shop and a nerd card game store that were always jam packed.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

gleep gloop posted:

Lmao the loving swords. The PX at Goodfellow had a sword shop and a nerd card game store that were always jam packed.

I haven't seen the sword thing at Navy exchange. Then I spent 5 weeks at Ft Hood and the first time I went to the PX there they had that dude selling loving "Scottish" claymores with that whole clan history poo poo on it. The guy wasn't lacking for customers either. :wtc:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

I haven't seen the sword thing at Navy exchange. Then I spent 5 weeks at Ft Hood and the first time I went to the PX there they had that dude selling loving "Scottish" claymores with that whole clan history poo poo on it. The guy wasn't lacking for customers either. :wtc:

It's not just for scottish people. They claim they will use their european researches to comb through history to find your family's original crest. I stopped and listened to one guy for a while one time. I figured if he wasted my time, he couldn't sucker some moron in. I saw no point in buying one since my name has nothing to do with my heritage.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

gleep gloop posted:

I poo poo you not, the exact same girl that was selling laptops at the mall in Columbus ended up at the mall in Fayetteville like two years after I was at airborne school. Me and my buddy (we both were in RASP around the same time together in 2010) were doing what became our Sunday ritual of getting Five Guys at the mall for lunch when we see this girl hawking the same loving overpriced poo poo to all her "friends" as they walked by. We both just look at each other like "no fuckin way". Same voice and everything. If you're in the know, you know her as "laptop girl" or "hand-hug girl". I know I can't be the only one to know who this chick is between both Benning/Bragg.

What kinda rut does your life have to be in where you travel between military towns to sell computers at a mall kiosk.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Justin Tyme posted:

I poo poo you not, the exact same girl that was selling laptops at the mall in Columbus ended up at the mall in Fayetteville like two years after I was at airborne school. Me and my buddy (we both were in RASP around the same time together in 2010) were doing what became our Sunday ritual of getting Five Guys at the mall for lunch when we see this girl hawking the same loving overpriced poo poo to all her "friends" as they walked by. We both just look at each other like "no fuckin way". Same voice and everything. If you're in the know, you know her as "laptop girl" or "hand-hug girl". I know I can't be the only one to know who this chick is between both Benning/Bragg.

What kinda rut does your life have to be in where you travel between military towns to sell computers at a mall kiosk.

She probably makes OKish money to the tune of like $40ish thousand which I guess is pretty much making it for the kind of person who works in a military town. Or, like 99% of every other business, she makes hardly anything and the dudes in charge rake it in.

Did you ever run into the Israeli dudes trying to sell the poo poo that makes your nails shiny? Those dudes got to the point of grabbing people's arms and hands. I pretended they gave me a PTSD flipout one time, that was funny.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Some Israeli guy grabbed me in the mall of my hometown and started talking about this awesome sand stuff that exfoliates your skin. I guess I really get suckered in by these people. Still haven't bought anything yet.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

gleep gloop posted:

She probably makes OKish money to the tune of like $40ish thousand which I guess is pretty much making it for the kind of person who works in a military town. Or, like 99% of every other business, she makes hardly anything and the dudes in charge rake it in.

Did you ever run into the Israeli dudes trying to sell the poo poo that makes your nails shiny? Those dudes got to the point of grabbing people's arms and hands. I pretended they gave me a PTSD flipout one time, that was funny.

a broad making 40k+ is actually doing pretty good for herself

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

gleep gloop posted:

Can't say I remember that one, though there was that 2012 Camaro or whatever that was sitting in there for like a year and a half for some drawing that never loving ended.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

a broad making 40k+ is actually doing pretty good for herself

true

Justin Tyme posted:

Can't say I remember that one, though there was that 2012 Camaro or whatever that was sitting in there for like a year and a half for some drawing that never loving ended.

lol those drawings are good idiot traps to. You have to put down your phone number, email, and more information about yourself or they say they'll just throw it away. Then they sign you up for a million different marketing things and try to get you to buy something retarded at a retarded finance rate. Also maybe eventually someone wins a Camaro idk.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

She's probably married to a soldier.

So, a really deep rut. Real bad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Best Friends posted:

She's probably married to a soldier.

So, a really deep rut. Real bad.

It's not easy being married to a guy on one deployment band and dating a guy on another.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

It's not just for scottish people. They claim they will use their european researches to comb through history to find your family's original crest. I stopped and listened to one guy for a while one time. I figured if he wasted my time, he couldn't sucker some moron in. I saw no point in buying one since my name has nothing to do with my heritage.
I'm sure a bunch of Norwegian fishermen had a loving crest, I'd be tempted to see what they'd try to pass off on me.

Coast Computers was the ripoff kiosk at the Biloxi mall, give them your contact information and they'll donate a whole 5 cents to the USO!

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I don't have any good BX stories aside from the time I saw some mid 40's Army dude who used to be an E9 or some poo poo rockin' E2 after his DUI carefully examining the back label of the shampoo bottle with his impressively piggish wife.

I do have a good story about why you shouldn't do hard drugs though.

Years and years ago a bunch of guys from my career field at Travis were splitting a house that very quickly became known for being the epicenter of a lot of shady poo poo. Leadership knew all these guys were dirt bags and knew that all of them living together was bad news but couldn't do anything about it since it was off base and they were all SSgt. Well one night they're having a party or something and one of them is half passed out drunk so the sketchiest dude out of the group goes over to the guy and he doesn't draw on him with a sharpie or shave an eyebrow oh no he straight up jabs the dude with a needle full of heroine and slams the plunger.

Dude gets taken into the hospital with a heroine overdose and since he's obviously hot they test the rest and they all popped for something. Dude who OD'd the other guy testifies against the rest and gets a general discharge while the rest go to some jail at Vandenberg. The NCO's would have to drive up and bring their E1 asses to do bitch work and order them to stand their while having us students make fun of them. Dude who got OD'd had some chief dad and wanted to stay in so I guess he went to some boot camp redo poo poo.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 7, 2014

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
All the car talk reminded me of a chick who was in my aircrew class. Shows up one day in a brand new Mitsubishi Eclipse Spider. I'm asking her about it in the smoke pit, only 24% apr! What a bargain. She ended up getting knocked up and kicked out for something. :allears: memories.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Good ones also are people who buy brand new cars right before getting out because they have a "guaranteed" job waiting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

gleep gloop posted:

Good ones also are people who buy brand new cars right before getting out because they have a "guaranteed" job waiting.

A guy in my shop bought a brand new Lancer back when Mitsubishi was doing so well that they were doing their Buy 1 Get 1 Free deal where they pay for a lease of another lancer. He was getting out and I'm assuming he thought he had a job lined up. We heard he eventually had it voluntarily repoed. He currently rents a house from a guy that used to be in our shop who is currently in Germany. He lives in the house with like three other families.

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
I'm an idiot, I let my new wife handle getting a car, as I'd never actually bought anything from a car lot before.

24% interest on a three year old car.

Paid that fucker off, it did help my credit at least. Since I drove an old-rear end truck, the payments didn't really hurt, so I chalked it up as a learning experience.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
When I went with my girlfriend to help her buy her car she got all pissed at me for "hassling and being rude to the salesman". So she went on her own, is paying more money because it's a 7 year loan, financed a useless maintainence package onto the cost of the car, and some other retarded options.

Tbf her interest rate is fine, something like 3%, but the extra two years and options did add to what she will pay overall.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It's pretty funny how the only things we still haggle for in our culture - salary, cars, and houses - are by far the most costly things to get hosed over on, and in all cases you are going up against some of the only people in our culture who haggle and negotiate prices daily.

I'm not saying I want to have a one hour conversation every time I buy onions, but man it would make me better at negotiating salaries.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

gleep gloop posted:

7 year loan

lmao

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

GTC is a real life credit card that's in your name. It just has a special stipulation that if you don't pay it off, Chase contacts your leadership.

Are you sure? Because it doesn't show up on my credit reports as an account I have open nor does it show up as a increase in my debt.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

"it's less money every month, I can do something with that money I save!"
Good thing your calling is biology...

PicnicBasket
Mar 21, 2010

Kaliber posted:

Are you sure? Because it doesn't show up on my credit reports as an account I have open nor does it show up as a increase in my debt.

Naturally. Mine doesn't show as an active account either, but I imagine missing a payment will immediately be reported.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

Coast Computers was the ripoff kiosk at the Biloxi mall, give them your contact information and they'll donate a whole 5 cents to the USO!
Yep, they were there in 2010 when I was there. I believe they hawked PS3s and Xbox 360s as well, as every time I was there I always saw some kid with a fresh haircut and a BMT flight t-shirt playing CoD and getting talked up.

Speaking of BX stuff, Lackland was really bad with selling garbage, since it was the easiest place to get people to give their money away. I know of a couple of people that bought those leather jackets and even one who bought a graduation ring. They also sold Affliction-style AF themed shirts. Thankfully I never saw any of this crap being worn outside of a training environment.

Oh and I do remember getting talked up by one of the fingernail polish people at the San Antonio mall. The woman practically tried to stop me from walking.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 9, 2014

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
lmfao, basic training rings! Man people paid HUNDREDS for those when I went through. In fact, we had some "Ex Army so we know what you want" people come in with a whole catalog that we were forced to listen to give a spiel about buying rings, and sweatshirts, and jackets, etc.

"You can wear the ring at your unit, 670-1 says so!"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

shyduck posted:

Yep, they were there in 2010 when I was there. I believe they hawked PS3s and Xbox 360s as well, as every time I was there I always saw some kid with a fresh haircut and a BMT flight t-shirt playing CoD and getting talked up.

Speaking of BX stuff, Lackland was really bad with selling garbage, since it was the easiest place to get people to give their money away. I know of a couple of people that bought those leather jackets and even one who bought a graduation ring. They also sold Affliction-style AF themed shirts. Thankfully I never saw any of this crap being worn outside of a training environment.

Oh and I do remember getting talked up by one of the fingernail polish people at the San Antonio mall. The woman practically tried to stop me from walking.
The first couple times I politely declined, third time I told the guy to gently caress off.

I've said it before but, my tech school roommate bought a graduation ring, it wasn't sized right and he was wearing it on his middle finger. He was going to buy the jacket but didn't have enough money, he still had the order form. If you're the kind of person dumb enough to buy one of these items chances are your career isn't going to be very long. He once overdrafted his bank account via phone-sex.

Frkzd
Jun 9, 2014
During pre-deployment training in Wisconsin, my 1LT turns his loaded 9mm toward me, standing at the firing lane beside him on the range.

Needless to say, I no longer felt safe being led by such a 'tard. While riding in a convoy, he kept complaining about being bored and wanting to be on the HMMV turret, like a child, so we obliged.

While he was up there, I stole the firing pin from his M16. When his weapon wouldn't fire during qual, completely dumbfounded, he took some heat from the cadre inspecting his weapon.

It was a big deal. As soon as we got back from the range, there was outrage. I immediately and loudly confessed, holding it above my head rather ballsy, with witnesses to the 9mm incident.

I was surprised and disappointed that neither of us were demoted.

Army, hooah?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Reminds me of those suicide brief videos where the guy took the guys firing pin out of his m4 because he thought he was going to kill himself. They were in the middle of Iraq.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Reminds me of an OER they had pinned up on the wall at Armor school. It was a DO NOT PROMOTE for a 2LT who lost his weapon three times...in theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
"Would best serve the Army by transitioning to civilian life."