Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Are all game communities this dramatic? I just play the game because I like playin' games. I know nothing about modding and wouldn't know where to start even if I wanted to, so I just wait for big interesting updates, but for the most part I have no idea what's ever going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'll be honest, I'm a huge Starbound fan and at this point I'd rather just get my news here and an occasional glance at the news feed on the CF site. I had to unsubscribe to the subreddit because there are the same tired, stupid lovely things being said over and over. Molly and Tiy's twitter feeds are great for updates but I have to remember not to look at any replies or I just start frothing a bit. Who the gently caress are these idiots?

I really don't know what happened to game communities in general but holy poo poo. Tiy, you were posting about potentially going super strict on the forums. I say go for it. It's not like your game is subscription based. If they bought it, they bought it. There's no incentive to suck up or keep the peace with those dickwipes. Dust off the banhammer and go nuts. Heavy(ish) moderation works for SA and it can work for you, too.

Hell, I got into poking fun of someone being a shitlord on Twitter to Molly the other day and wound up feeling embarrassed I was involved at all. Ban them all!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Shnooks posted:

Are all game communities this dramatic? I just play the game because I like playin' games. I know nothing about modding and wouldn't know where to start even if I wanted to, so I just wait for big interesting updates, but for the most part I have no idea what's ever going on.

Games like Starbound/Terraria/Minecraft/etc. are infamous for somehow attracting some of the worst and whiniest people.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Games like Starbound/Terraria/Minecraft/etc. are infamous for somehow attracting some of the worst and whiniest people.

Baby's first video game followed from concept to production. Also, PLAYERS FINANCED THE GAME so entitlement runs rampant. I just avoid everything but this thread because it's all just awful. I do like it when people link the best drama here. Reading through it is a great way to kill time and brain cells.

edit: I just got to the part where people were complaining about human beings having fun and goofing off at work. I'd be willing to bet that most of these people have yet to enter the workforce or are stuck in retail hell.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 17, 2014

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.
I'm with Saxophone.

Information here, good discussion here, and no whining babies making GBS threads all over everything.

The other day, I told my husband that if I ever managed to get into game development, he would manage any forums that concerned my games. He has a SomethingAwful attitude towards poo poo-posting, mod-sass and general asshattery. I've had to cut back on reading the actual forums because it gets my blood pressure up.

I love the game. It's still in beta, which is cool, and it has soooooo much potential. I can't wait for progression and more lore....well, let me rephrase that. I feel like I can't wait, but I drat well can, and will.

That reminds me--SB devs, have you had anyone try using Steam In Home Stream with Starbound? I encountered some issues, but I'm not sure if that's even a thing you want to have to worry about yet, or will ever be really concerned with.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Schwack posted:

Also, PLAYERS FINANCED THE GAME so entitlement runs rampant.

I was saying this on IRC earlier - I would utterly, utterly love to see some of these shits actually try a shareholders' lawsuit or something. Just to see the look on the judge's face.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Loxbourne posted:

I was saying this on IRC earlier - I would utterly, utterly love to see some of these shits actually try a shareholders' lawsuit or something. Just to see the look on the judge's face.

If they could find a lawyer that could keep a straight face for long enough to take their money first.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
God loving help us all when this thread becomes the last bastion of decency and sanity for this game. Starbound fans truly are one of the worst.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
What is it about creative games that brings out these particular breeds of fuckwit? Is it just that they appeal to a fairly broad age range?

It must suck just wanting to make vidya games and then having to deal with all this stuff.

EDIT: i sentence good

H2Eau fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 17, 2014

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

H2Eau posted:

What is it about creative games that brings out these particular breeds of fuckwit? Is it just that they appeal to a fairly broad age range?

It must suck just wanting to making vidya games and then having to deal with all this stuff.

When the dust clears and the drama settles, you come to find that the people spending the most time being the biggest assholes were mostly 30-somethings, not kids or teens.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Hey Tiy, Eonwe, and others, I don't post in this thread and only play SB occasionally, but I wanted to join others in thanking you for a neat game that continues to improve and for somehow keeping a positive attitude with a very trying fan base. The internet and the instant communication it provides is a great human achievement but like all nice things it can be ruined by a dedicated minority. I hope all the awful fans don't get you down too much.

We're all rooting for you here. :)

Tiyuri
Jan 22, 2013

HORSETITS ARE HARAAM

VotGs posted:

I'm with Saxophone.

Information here, good discussion here, and no whining babies making GBS threads all over everything.

The other day, I told my husband that if I ever managed to get into game development, he would manage any forums that concerned my games. He has a SomethingAwful attitude towards poo poo-posting, mod-sass and general asshattery. I've had to cut back on reading the actual forums because it gets my blood pressure up.

I love the game. It's still in beta, which is cool, and it has soooooo much potential. I can't wait for progression and more lore....well, let me rephrase that. I feel like I can't wait, but I drat well can, and will.

That reminds me--SB devs, have you had anyone try using Steam In Home Stream with Starbound? I encountered some issues, but I'm not sure if that's even a thing you want to have to worry about yet, or will ever be really concerned with.

Thanks for the kind words.

I haven't actually tried using streaming through Steam at all yet. I'll give it a look. I'm getting into steam big picture in a big way since I got a steam controller, I absolutely love it.

MadBimber posted:

Hey Tiy, Eonwe, and others, I don't post in this thread and only play SB occasionally, but I wanted to join others in thanking you for a neat game that continues to improve and for somehow keeping a positive attitude with a very trying fan base. The internet and the instant communication it provides is a great human achievement but like all nice things it can be ruined by a dedicated minority. I hope all the awful fans don't get you down too much.

We're all rooting for you here.

Thank you for being awesome

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I would love for the Starbound community to have a serious week of Something Awful zero-tolerance banhammer rules to weed out the toxic people that appear to poo poo up every single news thread. I feel that it's not so much that the community is bad, it's just the vocal minority make everyone else not want to participate.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Supernorn posted:

I would love for the Starbound community to have a serious week of Something Awful zero-tolerance banhammer rules to weed out the toxic people that appear to poo poo up every single news thread. I feel that it's not so much that the community is bad, it's just the vocal minority make everyone else not want to participate.

I'm going to second this. An old-fashioned rear end whoopin is in order, clear out the douchebags and trolls

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
With examples made public.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
We should probably post over there more there's lots of cute stuff over there like the modding forum and all the art competitions. Most of the poop seems to be in the news.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Tiy. I bought this game the first day it showed up on Steam, entirely off the premise.

I haven't touched it since, but even what I played on day 1 made me know this'll become something special. Take all the time you guys need to get it there. I agree with Supernorn that a supervocal group of people is abusing your forums/reddit/twitter, and making sure the people who enjoy the game don't feel safe posting. I bought it to support your good idea, and so far feel like my money was well spent.

If ya'll just want to make this the dedicated "interact with the community" thread, I don't think goons would mind.

Normally don't post stuff like this, but christ your forums are toxic and I can only imagine how much alcohol it takes for you guys to sleep after attempting to placate it. You guys do good work, and you should know that.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Nthing the love for this drat game. I built myself a sweet desert farm where my Novakid likes to dress up as a superhero. :yayclod:

gently caress the haters, I've more than gotten my money out of this.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

everythingWasBees posted:

This is probably low on their to-do list, but has the game been optimized since the first few weeks? I know some of my close friends have a lot of trouble playing due to lag during combat, and I remember that terrible performance was an issue when it first launched, even for people with higher-end computers.

I imagine if they took time off to do optimization work the community would eat itself alive in rabid frenzy. "Why aren't you working on ACTUAL CONTENT!?" etc.

What I'm saying is you guys should totally take like 2 weeks off and do nothing but optimization/bug-fixing and let your forum mods just throw nay-sayers down a hole.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

MrLonghair posted:

With examples made public.

Like sticking the avatars of the guilty on tiny pixel pikes? Then putting them on the forums front page to make an example.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Shnooks posted:

Are all game communities this dramatic? I just play the game because I like playin' games.

The short answer is yes.

For everything any developer does in a game there will be vocal minorities proclaiming that the world is ending, the game is dying, it used to be so much better in some fictional golden days, etc.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
They adjusted a single thing about quickscoping in a COD game and deaththreats ensued because of course.

mollygos
May 9, 2013

heat death of the universe

Shnooks posted:

HEY SHNOOKS :3

Also yeah, to an extent.
It's just especially bad because, like someone else said, the game was funded by preorders. A vocal few think that makes them investors with a say in how we do things.
There's a lot of chaos surrounding the publishing side of Chucklefish, too, because people don't seem to know what publishing means or think we need to spend every penny earned on Starbound.

I dunno. I think with the nightly updates and upcoming progression updates things will start to get better. I guess I agree that we should start banhammering more frequently, it's just tricky without starting an uproar over "censoring criticism". It already happened this weekend, and even got a bit of press attention.

I like this thread. :) You guys know how to be critical without attacking us as a company or as people.

MrLonghair posted:

They adjusted a single thing about quickscoping in a COD game and deaththreats ensued because of course.

I remember this! And I remember thinking it was absolutely unbelievable at the time. I could easily believe it now. :D

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

mollygos posted:

HEY SHNOOKS :3

Also yeah, to an extent.
It's just especially bad because, like someone else said, the game was funded by preorders. A vocal few think that makes them investors with a say in how we do things.
There's a lot of chaos surrounding the publishing side of Chucklefish, too, because people don't seem to know what publishing means or think we need to spend every penny earned on Starbound.

How about you stop spending my $15 investment POSTING, and instead funnel it into the alcohol fund you all sorely deserve.

mollygos
May 9, 2013

Ragequit posted:

How about you stop spending my $15 investment POSTING, and instead funnel it into the alcohol fund you all sorely deserve.

I did adopt a puppy which is like...almost as effective a coping mechanism as alcohol.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

mollygos posted:

I did adopt a puppy which is like...almost as effective a coping mechanism as alcohol.

We should attach a whisky flask to her and take a swig as she moves from desk to desk.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

mollygos posted:

Chucklepup :colbert:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Supernorn posted:

We should attach a whisky flask to her and take a swig as she moves from desk to desk.

And forever dubbed the booze beagle. Or whatever breed.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

mollygos posted:

I guess I agree that we should start banhammering more frequently, it's just tricky without starting an uproar over "censoring criticism". It already happened this weekend, and even got a bit of press attention.

I think if you lay the laws of the land out as plainly as SA does and then have a red hammer week where any violation is a swift and permanent banning, people would catch on.

Like, you guys don't hate criticism - you take it from us and actually use it because our criticism is constructive, not vitriolic bile - so say as much in the rules. "Criticism is fine. Being a little poo poo and running your mouth with personal attacks, nonsense about how you're "an investor", etc. is not." or something like that. :v:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

mollygos posted:

I guess I agree that we should start banhammering more frequently, it's just tricky without starting an uproar over "censoring criticism".

Chucklefish is pretty much UK based now after the move right?

Just say 'lol no first amendment here' and ban them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I'm pretty sure the first amendment only applies to the government and/or public spaces in any case. A private business in a private forum can do whatever the gently caress they want.

Orv
May 4, 2011

President Ark posted:

I'm pretty sure the first amendment only applies to the government and/or public spaces in any case. A private business in a private forum can do whatever the gently caress they want.

Technically correct, but the internet is a dangerously fluid kangaroo court so they have to be careful with such measures.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

mollygos posted:

Also yeah, to an extent.

Weren't people at one point demanding to see Chucklefish's budget/finance details?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wheezle posted:

Weren't people at one point demanding to see Chucklefish's budget/finance details?

One nutjob was, I don't know if others ended up supporting him.

mollygos
May 9, 2013

Wheezle posted:

Probably. I know there was a lot of controversy for awhile with people demanding to know whether/how much I was getting paid.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
It's going to be a pain in the rear end in the short term, as I'm sure the perpetrators will probably end up spamming / whining / trying to attract bad publicity, but it'd be worth it in the long term to build a good community. You might actually want to read your own forums again!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, good luck trying to redditproof your forums.

Chucklefish isn't publicly listed, right? You don't need to submit any financial crap to anyone who ain't your IRS officer/CA. Tell 'em so.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What you should actually do is write up something that looks professional and real, but make it look like you all pay yourselves a ridiculous amount and spend the remaining on cheetos and mountain dew.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I don't think reddit users are the big problem. Most of the threads I've seen Tiy in on reddit are positive, with only a handful of shitlords that usually get downvoted.

btw, Tiy posted this:
"For the people messing with nightly, how do you like the combat changes?

A good way to get into a quick fight is..
Turn on cheats with /ruinthefun
Spawn tier 7 armor with /spawnitem hylotltier7head / chest / pants
Spawn a tier 7 shortsword with /spawnsword 7 0 commonshortsword
Spawn a tier 7 shield with /spawnshield 7
Spawn a level 7 quadruped with /spawnmonster quadruped 7
Fight it
Thoughts?"

Here: http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/28ancu/for_the_people_messing_with_nightly_how_do_you/

Gonna try this out tonight, I've been wanting to see the new combat for a while now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Party Alarm posted:

It's going to be a pain in the rear end in the short term, as I'm sure the perpetrators will probably end up spamming / whining / trying to attract bad publicity, but it'd be worth it in the long term to build a good community. You might actually want to read your own forums again!

I'm not sure what they lose honestly. Their site/4chan/Steam forums are so toxic already that they drive away potential buyers. SA is alright, and Reddit looks kind of alright from a glance, but those are just two sites people could visit to get information on the game.

If they do a mass ban, they'll probably get in the news for it again, but Reddit/SA would at least support them, and it'll likely only affect their reputation on Steam forums/4chan anyway. In the best case scenario the asshats throw a huge fit over the next few days, but die off as they get closer to launch, and all the people who heard the game was good back on day 1 can come back to cleaner forums full of people having fun. In the worst, they come back and keep being terrible, but at least Molly doesn't develop PTSD.

• Locked thread