Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

oliwan posted:

Old people are dumb.

Honduras's manager Luis Suarez said: "The machine first said no [goal]. I do not know what to think. If the technology sends a clear message, then I don't understand how the system can say it's a goal first and then: 'No goal.' What is the truth?"

WHAT IS THE TRUTH FIFA? How does it say NO GOAL first and then GOAL? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

vyelkin posted:

Honduras's manager Luis Suarez said: "The machine first said no [goal]. I do not know what to think. If the technology sends a clear message, then I don't understand how the system can say it's a goal first and then: 'No goal.' What is the truth?"

WHAT IS THE TRUTH FIFA? How does it say NO GOAL first and then GOAL? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND???

lol this is great

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
is there footage of the goal in question? I didn't see the game.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Coohoolin posted:

The initial shot bounced off the post and out, the keeper went to claim it and fumbled it into the net. The no goal was from the initial shot and the goal was from ther keeper's fumble. If they hadn't shown the original shot not crossing the line a whole load of octogenarians with dementia wouldn't be losing their minds right now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

A LIE.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
How is that confusing? Goalline technology is pretty cool though, nice to see it working properly.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Showing No Goal first was really loving dumb though, you gotta plan for this to reach even the stupidest people you can find (managers of losing teams).

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Healbot posted:

Showing No Goal first was really loving dumb though, you gotta plan for this to reach even the stupidest people you can find (managers of losing teams).

Johnathan Pearce's stupid fat head exploding would have made it worth it though.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/16/sports/worldcup/for-us-soccer-team-honesty-may-not-be-the-best-policy.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

quote:

That idea, though, runs contrary to the ethos of idealized American sports. As Ramos said, American athletes are typically honest on the field, no doubt influenced by years of being told to be strong, battle through contact and finish the play. The tendency of American soccer players to eschew diving, Martino said, is directly related to the fact that diving is one of the things that soccer critics in the United States rail against so passionately.

“That cultural perception already handicaps the American player,” Martino said. “It’s so frowned upon that subconsciously the American players don’t want to play into the stereotype. Particularly when they’re younger, they don’t want to hear it from other people around them. That doesn’t happen in other sports in America, like taking a charge in basketball. And it doesn’t happen in other countries.”

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Which game was it where the crowd shot showed a fan doing the pussy-licking v-finger thing? I wanted to see that again but forgot.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Snowy posted:

Which game was it where the crowd shot showed a fan doing the pussy-licking v-finger thing? I wanted to see that again but forgot.

Kinky bitch

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
*Pre-emptively reserving this post space for some gems from BigSoccer, GrantLand Jozy's publicist, etc following the USMNT game :confuoot:

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Snowy posted:

Japan-Ivory Coast, it's definitely in the last few pages of the game day thread.

There ya go:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

I loving love this goal line tech it is cool as hell and those arguing against it have been made out to be fools imo

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It was worth it just to hear Jonathan Pearce be confused by how the passage of time works

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

vaginal culture posted:

I loving love this goal line tech it is cool as hell and those arguing against it have been made out to be fools imo

I must admit I have gone from 'violently opposed' to 'aggressively indifferent' over the last few days, so that's something

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

St Evan Echoes posted:

It was worth it just to hear Jonathan Pearce be confused by how the passage of time works

The rules were a lot simpler on Robot Wars

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

sassassin posted:

The rules were a lot simpler on Robot Wars

I propose that ties are settled by a panel of judges rating the teams on style, control, damage and aggression

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Strawman posted:

I propose that ties are settled by a panel of judges rating the teams on style, control, damage and aggression
Honduras will win every single game just on the last two

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
If you want soccer to grow....get rid of the 23373 leagues that they have and only play country vs country all the time....

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

vaginal culture posted:

It's been done in tennis for years, I don't see how anyone could contest it at this point

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/11096097/find-your-brazilian-soccer-nickname-10-others-world-sports

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

that's really awful

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TheBigAristotle posted:

It's been done in tennis for years, I don't see how anyone could contest it at this point

Actual answer - the system used in tennis (and cricket) doesn't work well if there's a large change of direction at the point it's supposed to be measuring unless the ball continues in that direction for a fair distance, which is fine in tennis and cricket where the changes in direction are pretty small and the ball continues unmolested for several yards afterwards. An awful lot of goal-line decisions are ricochets off the crossbar where neither of those things apply, and also there are a lot more non-ball moving objects (players) in the FOV of the cameras, which confuses things even further.

I think they've improved it quite a bit but the original Hawkeye-based system they trialled was found to have a margin of error of over half the ball's diameter in those sort of conditions, which is why the first goal-line technology trials were humans looking at multiple post-mounted cameras.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
May be somewhat interesting; the FIFA test manual for GLT. I really only skimmed it but it seems the requirement in general is ±1.5cm

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

A friend told me that they were talking about this on the Dan Patrick Show. Dan Patrick's Brazilian name is Dildo.

Not kidding, go ahead and try it out

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

TheBigAristotle posted:

A friend told me that they were talking about this on the Dan Patrick Show. Dan Patrick's Brazilian name is Dildo.

Not kidding, go ahead and try it out

this is the best thing ive ever heard

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lamont Cranston posted:

May be somewhat interesting; the FIFA test manual for GLT. I really only skimmed it but it seems the requirement in general is ±1.5cm

That's the most laughably bad testing regime I've ever seen - it seems deliberately set up to make the goal line technology's job as easy as possible (low-speed shots all in a straight line into a stationary target). I mean I'd accept that if it were a post-install test to ensure a system was set up right, but this looks like it's the entirety of the tests a system needs to do to be accepted by FIFA.

In particular there seems to be not even an attempt to test the hardest type to call, the ricochet off the bar and then out, and that's the one with a half-a-ball margin of error on Hawkeye. You'd kinda hope they'd at least try to test that before accepting the system, because if it gets a call provably wrong in a big game there's going to be a shitstorm of truly epic proportions.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/world-cup-fans-math-figure-scenarios-24194069

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
What Would The U.S. World Cup Team Look Like If It Was All NFL Players?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/what-would-the-u-s--world-cup-roster-look-like-if-it-was-all-nfl-players--135637543.html

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

When they write these articles, why are American writers obsessed with how large their players are?

quote:

The middle of the defense in front of Revis will be a 6-foot-5, 289-pounder with a 37-inch vertical in Watt, and a 6-6, 266-pounder with a 37.5-inch vertical in Clowney. Good luck getting around, through or over those two.

How many central defenders do you see in world football that weigh almost 300 pounds? Literally none. That may make them better at leaning on opposing players during a game of American football, but it would make them absolutely poo poo at actual football. It's like they're just so proud of their obese nation that they think being heavier gives them magic sports powers.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Actually, oh man you missed the best part of that article which is the comments section

etc etc etc

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

vyelkin posted:

Actually, oh man you missed the best part of that article which is the comments section

etc etc etc

Did you copy this from the USMNT thread

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's the most laughably bad testing regime I've ever seen - it seems deliberately set up to make the goal line technology's job as easy as possible (low-speed shots all in a straight line into a stationary target). I mean I'd accept that if it were a post-install test to ensure a system was set up right, but this looks like it's the entirety of the tests a system needs to do to be accepted by FIFA.
If the test regime had been strict, there wouldn't have been any margin for corruption.

Not that I've read anything suggesting that, just assuming because it's FIFA.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol those comments make me upset irl, pissflaps was right

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

I like how he's saying he'd rather be involved in the game as if there weren't lots of speciality players in American sports or plays that involve only a couple in the main.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

vyelkin posted:

etc etc etc
My fellow countrymen... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Lazlow posted:

serious/effortpost: because the sport was created there and therefore most English believe they're the best. However, this aptly titled book gives a good explanation as to why they're not. Short version: It's a small country so its talent pool is smaller, and it's located between the edge of the continent and an ocean, and so doesn't have as much of a "melting pot" effect as countries in the middle of Europe. Good read.