Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

WhoIsBarryBostwick posted:

Yeah. I think the idea was that once you confessed some misdeed to a Silence priest, you would forget you ever did it.

Thereby making the whole act pointless. Not much thought put into that one on Moff's part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Barry Foster posted:

Thereby making the whole act pointless. Not much thought put into that one on Moff's part.

To be fair I think it's meant to be that you forgot the confession and got telepathically suggested to forgive yourself.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So the mutant priests who are super creepy and sleep like bat people have lightning powers why now?

Sieje
Jun 29, 2004

My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes.

Burkion posted:

So the mutant priests who are super creepy and sleep like bat people have lightning powers why now?

To represent Zeus and Thor to the worshipers as they confess.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Republican Vampire posted:

The thing with the Silence actually made sense and would have worked if there'd been something more than three seconds of voice over explaining it. And... also if the doctor didn't have an offscreen relationship with Tasha Lem that meant he should, logically, have known how they work.

Basically the explanation should have come during A Good Man Goes to War, which should have been more than one episode long.

It works if he met Tasha Lem and found out what the Silence actually were sometime between A Good Man Goes To War and Time Of The Doctor. He certainly got up to a lot of things offscreen between those episodes so there'd have been ample opportunity.

I mean, still not super-satisfying (but nothing probably would have been) but it's better than LOL HE KNEW THE WHOLE TIME AND WAS PRETENDING BECAUSE *THE DOCTOR LIES* or whatever.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

docbeard posted:

*THE DOCTOR LIES*

This quickly became my least favorite Moffatism, easily beating out wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey.

I really hope that all the concentrated BS of Time of the Doctor means that Moffat got all that stuff out of his system and we can now move on with him ignoring all those convoluted plot strings and recurring elements and catchphrases and all that. I'm sure they'll all build up again (sadly) but I really hope we just get a clean slate for 12 like we did for 11.

Of course the fact that the very first 12 episode will apparently have the Victorian Fanservice Squad, the clockwork robots, and an 11 cameo doesn't fill me with confidence that Moffat will be moving on from his collection of recurring elements...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Of course the fact that the very first 12 episode will apparently have the Victorian Fanservice Squad, the clockwork robots, and an 11 cameo doesn't fill me with confidence that Moffat will be moving on from his collection of recurring elements...

I actually like all of these things, but I generally agree that it would be good to get away from the convoluted overarching plotlines and MUST TICK EVERY BOX continuity-fests. Give us some stories of the Doctor and Clara and...is Danny the new guy's name? having adventures in time and space without a larger agenda, at least for a bit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

quote:

And for the first time since 1984, the Doctor Who production team is heading to Lanzarote. The Doctor is returning to the scene of an old adventure – but there have been sinister changes since his last visit.’

From here: http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-8-filming-in-lanzarote-hermione-norris-cast-63183.htm

Planet of Fire callbacks? :allears:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sounds like the plot of Timelash

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

That's filming for episode 07 called Kill the Moon. My prediction is that they return to the library to free River but the moon has gone insane and they join a rebellion to shut it down.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Sounds like the plot of Timelash

We swear, it wasn't so bad.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

That's filming for episode 07 called Kill the Moon. My prediction is that they return to the library to free River but the moon has gone insane and they join a rebellion to shut it down.

I'm down for anything involving Colin Salmon.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm holding out hope for it being a crossover with Majora's Mask

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Peri nostalgia--it's not just for Big Finish anymore. :allears:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

qntm posted:

I'm down for anything involving Colin Salmon.

This.

PassTheRemote posted:

I'm holding out hope for it being a crossover with Majora's Mask

THIS.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Thread's been quiet lately, so here, have a shot of Peter Capaldi trying to squeeze in (or out) of a miniaturised TARDIS.

Lots more pics here.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Followed a link from there to pics from another shoot, wherein the Doctor and Clara are apparently visiting A Sand Planet.

Just look at that craggy bastard :allears:

More here.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Hey, the :wom: suit is back!

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Is Moffat still showrunner? Can I start watching Who again?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kikka posted:

Is Moffat still showrunner? Can I start watching Who again?

Yes to both questions.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Moffat is still Moffat. So yes the possibility of another River Song appearance is hanging over all our heads like the sword of Damocles.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

marktheando posted:

Moffat is still Moffat. So yes the possibility of another River Song appearance is hanging over all our heads like the sword of Damocles.
But will there be Tim Curry in drag during the solo number?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

But will there be Tim Curry in drag during the solo number?

Tim Curry as River Song might work.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

docbeard posted:

It works if he met Tasha Lem and found out what the Silence actually were sometime between A Good Man Goes To War and Time Of The Doctor. He certainly got up to a lot of things offscreen between those episodes so there'd have been ample opportunity.

I mean, still not super-satisfying (but nothing probably would have been) but it's better than LOL HE KNEW THE WHOLE TIME AND WAS PRETENDING BECAUSE *THE DOCTOR LIES* or whatever.

It would have been interesting to have made the Silence appear in A Good Man Goes to War and get a lame explanation like that, and then at the very end of Time of the Doctor it turns out they've been pulling the strings all along and don't want Gallifrey to return because they've become the dominant force in the universe (even suggesting the Daleks to imprison the Doctor).

That way they can stay around as recurring villains with their own agenda.

They're creepy, they have time machines, and are perfect for "sometimes they help the Doctor, sometimes they want to kill him."

Oh well...

Dirt
May 26, 2003

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-teases-massive-cliffhanger-64015.htm

Looks like our buddy Moffat is sticking around for series 9 as well...

I was definitely hoping for someone new(Mark Gatiss please).

Oh well.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Why does everything have to be a big cliffhanger mystery. Why can't you just solve a story in one season.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Harlock posted:

Why does everything have to be a big cliffhanger mystery. Why can't you just solve a story in one season.

He said penultimate episode of next series, meaning the second to last episode, so presumably that can still be solved in the finale of that season.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

A new 15-second teaser for the new series, which is back August 23rd:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p021r78j

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIzgoB8pXuc

Tomtrek fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 27, 2014

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Okay, now that it's been in two trailers, I feel the need to point this out: in that shot where Capaldi is silhouetted with his hands on the TARDIS rails, it makes him look like he has really long fingers, which reminds me of the Silence. Could that be a clue that they're somehow involved in the upcoming plot, or am I just going mad waiting for new episodes?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Ugh. I loving hate that the leaked amnesia plot looks like it's going to be true. The best actor to play the Doctor and a massive fan to boot is going to waste half a season not knowing who the gently caress he is.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I would hate it less if it wasn't the third or fourth time that Clara has to remind the Doctor/someone else about who he is. There's nothing new about companions acting as the Doctor's moral compass, but lately for some reason they been driving that point home with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
I'm worried that Moffat is gonna keep showrunning as long as he's alive unless the BBC does something about it. Which they probably wouldn't anyway.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Moffatt has said that he's closer to the end than the beginning of his run, so I wouldn't expect him to last too much longer.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

Moffatt has said that he's closer to the end than the beginning of his run, so I wouldn't expect him to last too much longer.

He said that after running the show for three years. Hee already planning Season Nine which would be three years on from when he gave that quote. Moffat lies.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Harlock posted:

Why not just solve it in one loving episode. Oh, I forgot, Steven Moffat needs to show off just how super clever he is.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Noxville posted:

Why not just solve it in one loving episode. Oh, I forgot, Steven Moffat needs to show off just how super clever he is.

I dunno, we managed to resolve the regeneration limit in a single episode. I fully expected that to be a season-long gambit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

I dunno, we managed to resolve the regeneration limit in a single episode. I fully expected that to be a season-long gambit.

Let's be totally fair. If he didn't piss away a total season, he would have.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The 12th Doctor is actually River Song/Clara's future son/grand-uncle. You heard it here first.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All this "am I a good man" stuff - Valeyard shenanigans ahead, calling it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

As much as I sperged out over the Valeyard reference and have wanted them to revisit that since Trial of a Timelord, I don't think it's going to happen. I have a feeling Moffat has left behind most of the "Doctor at the end of his life arc" with the new cycle. I'm betting the vibe is essentially "new lease on life" and a lot of that old mythos is dead. And I'm ok with that.

• Locked thread