Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

God drat it Seth MacFarlane, stop being a good person so I can keep hating almost every entertainment product you're involved in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TetsuoTW posted:

God drat it Seth MacFarlane, stop being a good person so I can keep hating almost every entertainment product you're involved in.

He'll make sure to make a ten minute animated segment in which children's books beat up the Bible and swear profoundly in funny voices until Hitler appears and scares them off.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Morglon posted:

Why does that fake plastic lady have hard fake nipples?

Because it would be totally gross if the plastic mannequin had real nipples, ugh.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

moerketid posted:

To be fair, my friend got in the Amazon Fantasy top 5 without hiring a proper editor. He's self published because he wrote to one publisher who declined him and decided he had to go it alone. I'm like dude, huge authors went through dozens of rejections, just keep trying, but nope. I kinda feel that self-publishing is the lazy way to go about it these days.

It honestly depends. For a lot of genre writers, self-publishing through the Kindle/Barnes & Noble/etc. stores results in way better earning potential, ROI, and profit margins than going the traditional route.

The vast majority of published fiction doesn't sell nearly enough to be particularly lucrative and that's especially true for niche markets like fantasy and sci-fi. When you consider the costs involved in printing physical books and how little published authors actually make off of each copy that sells, the cachet of having a $12 book with a Real Publisher that earns you 50 cents per copy sold and takes 6 months to get to market loses a bit of its shine against a $4 kindle book that you bang out every 6 weeks and sends 70% of its revenue into your pocket, even if you only end up reaching an audience a fraction of the size.

In many cases, it can be the difference between writing as a side gig and actually making a living off of one's earnings. Having a strong track record of online sales and regular fans can also make publishers more apt to play ball regarding contract terms and whatnot in the future if that becomes an avenue a writer wants to take.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Only 30 days left to destroy the only Wu Tang Album

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/510343979/destroy-only-copy-of-new-wu-tang-album

we must combine powers of Shaolin Goon-fu

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Seth McFarlane is odd because everything he works on sucks but everything he offers to put up money for is usually pretty cool. He once offered to help fund a Star Trek TV show if a studio was willing to make it but got turned down.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
This game looks pretty great, but I'm too lazy to start a proper thread for it in Games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xn_6nP5Yis

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/payloadstudios/terratech-physics-based-vehicle-construction-and-c

Free pre-alpha demo: http://www.indiedb.com/games/terratech/downloads

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Kickstarter Gaming - for $10,000, choosy moms choose .GIF
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473379

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
In good Kickstarter news, Bring Reading Rainbow Back is about to enter their final 24 hour stretch and poo poo is getting crazy. The cast of BSG have also agreed to participate in a live reading, the project is now the 5th most sponsored project in KS history, the other four most sponsored projects (Pebble, OUYA, Pono and Veronica Mars) have also joined the campaign and are contributing in various ways, they've now got the record for the most number of KS backers ever and it looks like they'll hit their $5 million stretch goal just before they hit the deadline. Oh and when that happens Seth McFarlane will chuck in an extra million, making them the fourth or possibly even the third most sponsored project in KS history.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
It's still kind of mindblowing to me that Homestuck made 2 million dollars in one month. Kickstarter has produced some very startling results. Isn't the economy supposed to be in bad shape these days? People are spending more on charitable stuff than ever before.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Excels posted:

It's still kind of mindblowing to me that Homestuck made 2 million dollars in one month. Kickstarter has produced some very startling results. Isn't the economy supposed to be in bad shape these days? People are spending more on charitable stuff than ever before.

Kickstarter announced back in March that they've received over a billion dollars in pledges. Their best day was March 13 2013 when they received over $4 million.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

moerketid posted:

To be fair, my friend got in the Amazon Fantasy top 5 without hiring a proper editor.

The people who make Kickstarters for their books are almost always subliterate, though. Your friend may not have needed an editor, but the Kickstarter people really, really do.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

So in terms of real effort, how much is required to actually get like 5,000$ for a book or an RPGMaker thing?

0% effort is something like Chrono Trigger Legends 1999, and I guess 100% would be like the Ava's Demon KS which gave out real bronze keys and even a couple gold-painted bronze statues of the titular heroine (the 30$ pledge reward was a 500+ page full color, hardcover book)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Excels posted:

So in terms of real effort, how much is required to actually get like 5,000$ for a book or an RPGMaker thing?

0% effort is something like Chrono Trigger Legends 1999, and I guess 100% would be like the Ava's Demon KS which gave out real bronze keys and even a couple gold-painted bronze statues of the titular heroine (the 30$ pledge reward was a 500+ page full color, hardcover book)

Just looked up Chrono Trigger Legends 1999.

This is a joke, right?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I also just looked up Crono 1999. This is amazing. Everything is so perfect. If he's serious I hope the idiot at least managed to get RPG Maker when it was $1 from humble bundle.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Just looked up Chrono Trigger Legends 1999.

This is a joke, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wno8GvEhydA

out of all the SE properties, they are the most rabid about Chrono Trigger. this guy is seriously out of his mind if he thought this was in any way legal

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Excels posted:

The thing with this premise is that people do not see this as "charity", despite it being exactly that and nothing else. If I spend for charity I also sometimes get plushies and thank you.

But when people spend money on a kickstarter they feel like they are part of it, developed it and have anything to say in the project which is wrong.

People are stupid as always.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Taking a look at some of the games that have come out already through Kickstarter, and more that are coming out very soon, I am exceedingly happy that it exists.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Michaellaneous posted:

The thing with this premise is that people do not see this as "charity", despite it being exactly that and nothing else. If I spend for charity I also sometimes get plushies and thank you.

But when people spend money on a kickstarter they feel like they are part of it, developed it and have anything to say in the project which is wrong.

People are stupid as always.

People are definitely stupid, although a ton of kickstarters are clearly deliberately trying to push that "you're a part of this and you get a say and your opinion matters" angle because it sells and they want money.

Kickstarter is simultaneously charity and a con-job. Which is kinda funny, and kinda depressing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Reading Rainbow just added another pledge reward: everyone who chucks in an extra $10 will get access to an online event with Levar Burton and Donald Glover (Troy from Community) reading stories on a boat. :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhOG3XwX9Yw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqPBIREg0ps

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Reading Rainbow just added another pledge reward: everyone who chucks in an extra $10 will get access to an online event with Levar Burton and Donald Glover (Troy from Community) reading stories on a boat. :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhOG3XwX9Yw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqPBIREg0ps

Hey, this thread is for awful kickstarters only.

But you don't have to take my word for it :haw:.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Maybe for another tenbux Donald Glover can do Season 6

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
The whole charity/not a charity thing depends on the individual kickstarter.

Some kickstarters, like Reading Rainbow, are mostly about donating to make an awesome thing happen and getting a little token by way of thanks. Some are pretty much product pre-orders where you're buying a book of collected webcomics or whatever and the reason the creator is doing it as a kickstarter rather than just printing a batch and selling them is because KS lets you print the exact number you need and no more and there's far less risk. For the creator, if there's no interest the KS just fails and the creator is not out hundreds or thousands of dollars and drowning in ten thousand copies of a lovely book no one wants to read. For the reader, they know what they're getting and there's little risk bar it being a complete scam (or someone in the supply chain suffering a complete mental breakdown), since the content already exists and the money is going to go to a tried and tested publisher/printer.

Kickstarter is a platform for both cool projects that you can make happen, like a charity, and commercial product pre orders. Assuming it has to be 100% one or the other is daft, especially when there are so many drat projects and such variety on there.

Outside of outright incompetence, which you get everywhere, the funny/awful ones are often the ones that can't decide whether they're a worthy cause or a mercenary transaction and end up being both and neither, and upsetting just about everyone along the way.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Maybe for another tenbux Donald Glover can do Season 6

#sixseasonsandamovie

#pipedreams

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Excels posted:

#sixseasonsandamovie

#pipedreams

Didn't see the new yesterday, did you?
http://m.eonline.com/news/555752/community-season-6-happening-at-yahoo-get-all-the-details-on-the-show-s-revival

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

and they'll only be missing like a third of the original cast! epic!!!!

Community ended after Season 3. that's the way Dan wrote S3 so that's what I choose to believe.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Thanks to this thread I've been binge watching Kickstarter Nonstarter. I had no idea KS was such an effective severe autism honey pot.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
What does autism have to do with Kickstarter (nonstarter)?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Orzo posted:

None of the people in the videos they watch can even look the camera in the eye. Also crafting.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009

Germstore posted:

None of the people in the videos they watch can even look the camera in the eye. Also crafting.

Neither of those mean autism, they just mean they're bad at filming themselves and are mimicking what's popular.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Nah. It's autism.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Orzo posted:

Because the collective internet has decided to use "autism" as a blanket insult for people that have awkward social graces or nervous ticks.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Whoa, okay, I won't casually throw around the word 'autism' in the kickstarter thread. It gets the autists worked up.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Germstore posted:

Whoa, okay, I won't casually throw around the word 'autism' in the kickstarter thread. It gets the autists worked up.

Nah, we're not worked up, you're just not funny.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
If you absolutely, positively, must make a half-assed joke about social skills on the internet, why not use "sperg" instead? That, at least, isn't an Actual Medical Condition.

Or you could not make a joke about social skills on the internet, like this isn't all one huge glass house.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

If you absolutely, positively, must make a half-assed joke about social skills on the internet, why not use "sperg" instead? That, at least, isn't an Actual Medical Condition.

Or you could not make a joke about social skills on the internet, like this isn't all one huge glass house.

Would you guys please quit sperging about autism? We're trying to make fun of retards.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

What? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In good Kickstarter news, Bring Reading Rainbow Back is about to enter their final 24 hour stretch and poo poo is getting crazy. The cast of BSG have also agreed to participate in a live reading, the project is now the 5th most sponsored project in KS history, the other four most sponsored projects (Pebble, OUYA, Pono and Veronica Mars) have also joined the campaign and are contributing in various ways, they've now got the record for the most number of KS backers ever and it looks like they'll hit their $5 million stretch goal just before they hit the deadline. Oh and when that happens Seth McFarlane will chuck in an extra million, making them the fourth or possibly even the third most sponsored project in KS history.

Oh boy I can add only $175 for a Sky Blue RR OUYA add-on? Sign me up! :downs:

Great Rumbler posted:

Taking a look at some of the games that have come out already through Kickstarter, and more that are coming out very soon, I am exceedingly happy that it exists.

The best is having friends who bash kickstarter then ask around on Facebook if anyone has an extra key for Shadowrun Returns or Wasteland 2. I had an extra key for the former but it sure as hell wasn't going to someone that poo poo-talked the game when it was on kickstarter.

Though you need to do some basic checking to make sure you aren't throwing your money away by giving it to someone whose ability to deliver anything, let alone what they promise because they have a history of issues meeting deadlines. You know, like Chris Roberts and the money he's fleeced from people for Star Citizen. I'm sure it'll be a neat demo when it launches in 2018 and is less complete than Freelancer was, though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

From the Wikipedia page you posted:

quote:

The diagnosis of Asperger's was eliminated in the 2013 fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) and replaced by a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder on a severity scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

:thejoke: