Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Million Ghosts posted:

The setting is, holy poo poo the plot is not.

Plot of Wild Arms 3 was weird since it was basically I think 3 or 4 completely separate arcs that really had nothing to do with each other except for you play the same cast of main characters throughout them. It was good fun at parts, and I didn't hate it plotwise, but seeing as now, even though I've played through the game multiple times, I couldn't really tell you what happened in any of those arcs really (though I do remember some specific moments here and there), yeah the plot as a whole isn't great. But great music, great combat system, cool cast of main characters, good setting, it was a pretty good game over all.

Edit for Class of Heroes: I generally like Wizardry style games (love the Etrian Odyssey games and the SMT games that do that style, I even like Unchained Blades....mostly, that one is more questionable), but man, I just didn't like Class of Heroes. Mainly the dungeons were just a loving huge pain in the rear end to explore due to spinners and teleporters and all kinds of other bullshit, while the battles were just really boring button mashing auto attacking, nothing like the strategic combat you see in the stronger Wizardry style RPGs like the ones I mentioned above at all. I never even tried the second one because the first left such a bad taste in my mouth.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

The White Dragon posted:

If you'll allow me to borrow the idea from those memetic "RPG Cliches" lists from the 90s, WA3 is the classic PS2 RPG: evil plot to take over the world, but religion is involved somehow, except not until the final act.

Don't get me wrong, I loved WA3, but it breaks down hard pretty much as soon as the first time you defeat the Prophets.

I liked how the Prophets physically and mechanically decay as you fight them. It reinforces how twisted their ambitions are when they sacrifice their humanity only to become ineffectual before your might (and reinforcing the power of the new villains that come into the picture). Honestly, it's only until the very last...act of the story, where a brand new villain basically shows up and starts a new plot thread after the previous, where things get really wonky.

Asgard was awesome though, you can't deny. He was a fiercesome gameplay battle and he was fiercesome in the plot, and his development is really cool alongside all the other villain's. I also really enjoy Janus, and kind of dig how you "kill" him and he's reborn as something even worse. The theme of "losing humanity" is very strong in all the villains, which makes excellent juxtaposition when their robotic slave proves to be more human than they are--and also to reinforce how truly alien their demon they summon is.

Unrelated: Nier is also dope. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C6oaUFeYJQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0BHCBncOVc

Grimdark Zelda motherfuckers.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Million Ghosts posted:

Isn't Class of Heroes supposed to be extremely mediocore? Looks like something I'd be in to but never have I seen a good review. Also why are they creating false scarcity, other than the love of money?

The first 2 are pretty basic Wizardry clones with a lot of dumb map design that gets defeated by the UI in tedious ways. The second one really likes long hallways full of spinners (but you have an always available automap, albeit on a separate screen). The core gimmick is basically Tale of the Forsaken Land's trust system reduced to a limit break bar. I hear the later ones mix it up some but I haven't tried them.

First rule for playing them is to immediately find float on gear because nearly every dungeon sticks random antimagic tiles in the middle of deep water areas.

iastudent posted:

I dunno about a PSP game, but PS3 is definitely in the works. :v:

They're doing the third game next, which is a PSP game iirc.

e: there's 3 more PSP COH games, only one of which has a PS3 port. And then a 3DS one.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 4, 2014

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Allarion posted:

Secret of Mana has the benefit of being co-op which is entertaining when you're a kid who wants to play with their siblings or friends.

Until after you get magic where it is one guy pausing repeatedly and spamming the same spell while people with weapons flail around and miss charged shots constantly due to the terrible hit detection and get pressed up into bosses due to the tiny area to move in on the screen.

The co-op in Secret of Mana was novel, but also completely terrible even at the time. I tried to do a co-op run of that game with my brothers numerous times back in the day and never got to the thunder magic before everyone got bored. Even Final Fantasy 6 has a more satisfying co-op system.

Secret of Mana is just a prettier and way way worse playing version of Crystalis.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

SOM's most egregious flaw to me is that none of the available dialog box backgrounds are opaque or even uniform, so you end up with white text on bright pastel backgrounds and it's loving impossible to read. This bothers me at 32 much more than it did at 12.

I still love the game though for what it was then. :3:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
SoM is one of those games where I really wish we knew what the original plans for it looked like, just to fill in all the (really obvious, bug-filled) holes in the game.

I'll still step up to defend SD3/LoM though. And maybe some of the GBA/DS ones. The latter are more experiments than good games, though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
My favorite SoM moments is when you find out or when you tell other people that Popoi is a guy and not a girl. Nostalgia ruined for so many!!!!

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
SoM's biggest flaw is that it is an action based game with a dice roll accuracy mechanic. And worse it does absolutely nothing to tell the player that this is a thing. I remember turning off the game in disgust thinking it was hyper aggressively lovely hit detection.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
SoM's real biggest flaw is that Secret of Evermore is ten thousand times better.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Mr. Maltose posted:

SoM's real biggest flaw is that Secret of Evermore is ten thousand times better.

Even if that weren't totally true from a gameplay perspective, the sole fact that your dog turns into a robot toaster with hoverjets makes it better than Secret of Mana.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr. Maltose posted:

loving loved this game, although I always got my rear end beat by the first boss and needed my older brother to beat it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

If only because of Jeremy Soule. The music doesn't really match the game, but it's still pretty amazing stuff.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rascyc posted:

My favorite SoM moments is when you find out or when you tell other people that Popoi is a guy and not a girl. Nostalgia ruined for so many!!!!
Who?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The sprite. Their official names are Randi, Primm and Popoi.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mr. Maltose posted:

I was amazed when I found out that this was a popular opinion here, SoM is one of the best SNES RPG's and Evermore is a pale, boring imitation with dull, never ending mazes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Coughing Hobo posted:

The sprite. Their official names are Randi, Primm and Popoi.

Oh, I didn't remember them having anything filled in at name entry.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It was in the manual!! I think

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ Nope, the manual had screenshots from what I assume was an earlier version that let you put in spaces and lower-case letters and the Sprite's name was "y arcstar" :eng101:

Sakurazuka posted:

I was amazed when I found out that this was a popular opinion here, SoM is one of the best SNES RPG's and Evermore is a pale, boring imitation with dull, never ending mazes.

Yeah, I thought Evermore was okay--good, even--but had way too many badly-designed areas to be considered better than SoM (the washed-out colors didn't help, but I can give it a pass on account of we all know that was just the style). Bug Maze, Dog Maze, the bugged-as-all-hell Pyramid Maze, supermonsters that kill you in one hit maze, Forest Maze, and my personal favorite: the Well Maze. gently caress the Well Maze.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Picked up Might and Magic X and Divinity Origins during steam sale.

Surprisingly, M&M is just a great game which is really tough and enjoyable. Kind of gave me that Xeen vibe. Been playing that mainly vs DO. Also picked up Inquisitor, but haven't even opened that.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I think it's funny you bought a game you don't even know the name of.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I actually played through Evermore earlier this year, and it was a lot of fun. I thought the settings were super cool, and I genuinely enjoyed the consumable resource magic system. A lot of it was obfuscated, and several areas were irritating (mostly the flowing water maze early on), but it was surprisingly fun overall.

I probably would've appreciated it more if there was out-of-the-box two player growing up. I mean, it's on the same engine and it's basically built for two players. That was confusing then and it's still confusing now.

Fun fact: Jeremy Soule (of Elder Scrolls fame) composed the soundtrack. It was his first video game project.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Evermore has some high highs and low lows. But heck, as a kid that bazaar really made up for those stupid mazes. It's a really fun part of the game and I dig it every time!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wish Evermore had gotten a second try. I would love to see a refined version of it.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

With Tales of Symphonia so cheap on PSN at the moment, I am in two minds - do I get it if I like Dragon Quest, Ni No Kuni, Fire Emblem, Baldur's Gate to give you an idea of my tastes - or should I leave it if I will only play it single player (no co-op) and am not JPRG mad?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The combat is a lot more actiony than the games you mentioned, the battles play out like a pseudo beat 'em up, but otherwise is a fairly standard JRPG. I love Tales of games but you play them for the combat and levelling poo poo up, not for the story. Symphonia is also pretty old, it was the first 3D game in the series and is nowhere near as refined as the later games. If you're interested in the series you'd probably be better off waiting for Graces F or Xillia to go on sale or pick up a cheap copy of Vesperia if you have a 360.
Don't worry about not playing co-op, it's more of a bonus mode than anything.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Srice posted:

Evermore has some high highs and low lows. But heck, as a kid that bazaar really made up for those stupid mazes. It's a really fun part of the game and I dig it every time!

Yeah I agree. That Bazaar was kickass. Exploring and finding secrets was pretty fun in Evermore, especially trying to get all the alchemy recipes and stuff. Honestly I'd rate SoM and Evermore as among the best SNES games in their own respective ways. SD3 (on an emulator) was a bit disappointing in comparison, not bad but it just didn't have the same charm as the other two.

I felt LoM was pretty good though. Doesn't surprise me for a moment that the SaGa people had something to do with it. Seriously, they make great games but I think their best work happens when they dial it back on the complicated mechanics and don't try to force the "open world" thing too much at the expense of story. I enjoyed Saga Frontier 2 a lot more than say, Unlimited Saga.

I'm jaded but I just don't have high hopes for SD5. If it's another SoM that would be fantastic but that doesn't seem realistic. I guess we'll see what happens with it.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

With Tales of Symphonia so cheap on PSN at the moment, I am in two minds - do I get it if I like Dragon Quest, Ni No Kuni, Fire Emblem, Baldur's Gate to give you an idea of my tastes - or should I leave it if I will only play it single player (no co-op) and am not JPRG mad?

For that price I think you should definitely give it a shot. It's a good game and quite similar to Dragon Quest in terms of structure. Just avoid the sequel no matter what.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Symphonia's plot is JRPG as gently caress, but the combat is pretty fun even in single player and it's at least willing to have a laugh at itself every now and then. Decent translation, too, though the dub is a little shaky. Iunno, if you're the type of person who gets mad as hell when an anime girl trips or a guy delivers a speech about heroism, don't buy it, but if you enjoy those things or are ambivalent about them, go for it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

I don't know man, I remember Secret of Mana more fondly. Possibly because I played SoE later in my life. Still absolutely loved both though and I'd recommend anyone play them the first chance they get.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

For ToS maybe I will give it a shot for the price - it definitely looks good, and worst case scenario I've lost the cost of a couple of beers. Thanks for helping me spend my money, assholes.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

BloodWulfe posted:

I probably would've appreciated it more if there was out-of-the-box two player growing up. I mean, it's on the same engine and it's basically built for two players. That was confusing then and it's still confusing now.

It's not the same engine. SoE was made from scratch and made to imitate SoM. From an interview with Brian Fehdraw:

quote:

NL: It's been stated that although the combat and "Ring" menu systems used in Secret of Evermore are very similar to those found in Secret of Mana, that you guys programmed the system used in Evermore from scratch. Why were these recreated being that they already existed in Secret of Mana, and why was it decided to make them so similar in look and function?

BF: There was some reason why we had to develop from the ground up, but, to be honest, I can't remember what it was. I think it was one of those strange we're-wholly-owned-but-separate-for-tax-purposes sorts of things. Regardless, we did indeed end up writing absolutely everything from scratch, both on the tool side and on the game side.

There were two fairly simple reasons for swiping some of our systems from Mana. For one, we were supposed to be creating a Mana-like game, so it made sense to retain the interface. For another, those systems were proven to work well, and if you can steal the design for the wheel without getting sued for patent infringement... eh, why not? We also stole a couple of interface ideas from Final Fantasy 6, by the way.

The upside of rewriting their systems from scratch is that we had the option of tweaking or replacing things without having to tear up unfamiliar code and smush something different into it. Putting in alchemy, for instance, might have been difficult, and that would have been a shame. I think our map engine was more flexible as well.
(EM)

There's also a bit of why 2P wasn't in the shipped version:

quote:

BF: The single-player-game choice was actually an attempt to reduce complexity. We were a brand new team, many of us new to the industry, and it just seemed wise to eliminate risks. Having two or more players independently controlling characters on a large scrolling map is a bit of a minefield. Early on, we had experienced a couple of instances where we managed to get our characters stuck in Secret of Mana, and had to reload the last save. That worried us. If an experienced and clever team in Japan hadn't quite gotten it right, it looked bad for us. In retrospect, I really wish we had sucked it up and worked out the kinks. I think that was a real failure on our part.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Can anyone recommend some dungeon crawlers? Preferably with some level of party customization. I really like the Etrian Odyssey series and I basically want more of that. I tried to get into SMT IV but wasn't a fan of the combat system at all. I picked up Unchained Blades a couple years ago and I tried to go back to it and I remembered why I quit, holy poo poo that game is grindy. It'd be good if the game was available on digital stores, since I don't really want to have to go track down some hard to find game. Have a 3DS/PSP/PS3/PC, for reference.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Elminage Original is pretty fun, I liked it but I see why people wouldn't. It's super old school, obtuse and kind of barebones in a lot of ways but it might scratch the itch.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Unfortunately it doesn't fit the digital download part, but Master of the Monster Lair is a pretty interesting one on the DS. You build the dungeon you're exploring as you go, digging out hallways and placing rooms that will either bring different enemies, have treasure chests, or various things. You have to develop each floor to a certain degree to make the boss of that level show up. You increase two party members stats by getting the ingredients for and eating different meals each in game day, and one party member can absorb and use different monster parts (head, legs, arms, body) to use different skills, increase stats, and equip different weapons and armor. It can get a little grindy if your luck with item drops isn't great, but on the whole it seemed pretty forgiving in difficulty aside from a few bosses.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Master of the Monster Lair is actually a bit ratty because it's based on the same engine as/from the same designers of the "good concept, terrible execution" game My World, My Way. If you know how drat bad MWMW got by endgame you know why this is a problem.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Master of the Monster Lair is actually a bit ratty because it's based on the same engine as/from the same designers of the "good concept, terrible execution" game My World, My Way. If you know how drat bad MWMW got by endgame you know why this is a problem.

Yeah, I'd skip MWMW, but I rather liked Master of the Monster Lair. It's a bit janky in parts, but I felt as a whole it was a lot more enjoyable than MWMW, which felt waaaay more grindy to me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

J posted:

Can anyone recommend some dungeon crawlers? Preferably with some level of party customization. I really like the Etrian Odyssey series and I basically want more of that. I tried to get into SMT IV but wasn't a fan of the combat system at all. I picked up Unchained Blades a couple years ago and I tried to go back to it and I remembered why I quit, holy poo poo that game is grindy. It'd be good if the game was available on digital stores, since I don't really want to have to go track down some hard to find game. Have a 3DS/PSP/PS3/PC, for reference.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605196&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 be prepared for a little jank.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Is Front Mission 5 actually hard or am I dumb as hell?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
A small fraction of the game's missions can be legitimately difficult if you're not optimizing your suits/pilots and executing your links correctly. Which mission is giving you trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Million Ghosts posted:

Is Front Mission 5 actually hard or am I dumb as hell?

Could you elaborate a bit more?

In general FM5 isn't too difficult, and there really aren't any "gotcha" moments. The hardest part for me was the last mission trying to smash duval in his crazy wanzer before I got torn apart. A ton of missions will seem really overwhelming at the start but really aren't too bad once you throw your wanzers in there.