Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

o muerte posted:

To be fair locking a continent with 50% pop (Hossin) isn't much of a thing to brag about. I guess you *can* brag about about it but it doesn't say much for the quality of play involved.

We didn't have %50 pop until the very end when TR and NC gave up and left the continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Torabi posted:

Started playing PS2 again after a very long time. What ever happened to all of the passive skills that you could get? I remember being able to look at a long list of upgrades but now I barely see anything. Do you have to level up before you can even cert into that stuff or something? Because there is like, one thing in the medic passive cert stuff for me for example.

They removed that cert window with its unified access to certs for classes/vehicles/etc to make room for the nanite recycler or whatever it's called that crafts implants. Now to upgrade things, you need to go to a particular class or vehicle and click on the ability, or suit slot, or weapon type, or whatever else. All the options for certing stuff up are still there (and then some), you just have to access them through the infantry/vehicle tabs directly now.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

vigorous sodomy posted:

I thought the Ursa was the VS 167 gun.

I forgot about that one, but yes the Ursa is 167 as well, but the Flare is more akin to the Gauss SAW than the Ursa is imo.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gobblecoque posted:

Man, I love most everything about the merge, but it seems like the QRY/PREY swarm inevitably appears anywhere that any aircraft exists. Super autists have pretty much always killed any chances of new pilots getting into the air game, but now it's just absurd. Aside from the occasional GOKU Scythe swarm I don't think I've had a single instance of pulling a Scythe since the merge that hasn't ended (usually very quickly) by the appearance of six or so QRY/PREY Reavers.

I also can't happen but notice that I haven't seen N at all since the merge, were they driven out by the ever-present Reaver swarm?

On the other side of this, it is FANTASTIC and hilarious to see some Scythe leave the safety of "directly overhead at a base with a ton of AA support" to chase down my battle gal only to get dogpiled by 6 Reavers out of nowhere. Saw it happen a couple times last night. The Reavers all pull rocket pods and whatnot too so the A2A dogpiling is just an interlude to playing ground support, which is pretty much the smartest way to have numerical superiority.

As for N and their ilk, there is a long long long tradition of airspergs just hopping over to whatever faction is most friendly to them. Generally this is NC, so now that there's no reason to not switch they all are. Historically all of the best Mossie/Scythe aces have migrated to QRY, and all of the best TR/VS Lib spergs have stuck with their original faction just because the NC never presented much Reaver resistance. Now that we are, it's either join or die. Kylerr apparently was airsperg supremo for the TR but I haven't seen him outside of a battle gal since day 1 of the merger.

Shoutout to The Vindicators though, who seem to have maintained their loyalty.

The Kins posted:

I think SOE mentioned at some point that the fog being so thick was initially an early temporary performance improvement that they kept because it helped the atmosphere a ton.

What I'm trying to say is that Planetside 2 is basically Morrowind.

Oh god the Cliff Racer swarms

Oh god where is Saint Jiub

But Not Tonight posted:

I forgot about that one, but yes the Ursa is 167 as well, but the Flare is more akin to the Gauss SAW than the Ursa is imo.

Ursa feels more SAW-like to me. Not as surgical as the SAW and much worse DPS, but it's the closest experience in my book. Using the Flare is more like using an EM6 - shakes more, but fires more too.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 6, 2014

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Have you tried having sex with a girl to relieve your stress?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So what's the new go to for Medic guns? I remember back when I played last year the general school of thought was in long range engagements the Medic should be healing not shooting, so stuff like the Carnage/Mauler was king. That still hold up?

Also I'm almost at Medic Gun r6/Regen Field 5/Revive Grenades again after a few hours of playing. They changed certs quite a bit, didn't they.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rookersh posted:

So what's the new go to for Medic guns? I remember back when I played last year the general school of thought was in long range engagements the Medic should be healing not shooting, so stuff like the Carnage/Mauler was king. That still hold up?

Also I'm almost at Medic Gun r6/Regen Field 5/Revive Grenades again after a few hours of playing. They changed certs quite a bit, didn't they.

I play medic full time, and I will tell you that it's played best as a medium assault. Think like an EMT/Paramedic - nothing medical until I know the scene is safe, with the chief difference being that you have the AR instead of the cops you'd otherwise be waiting on. Clear the scene, tend to the wounded. Or just chuck a revive nade and keep on killing (which is what I do)

And yeah, no longer is it 100exp for killing a sundy or like 1k for downing a full battle gal. It positively rains exp nowadays, eat it up

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Rookersh posted:

They released the TROSS and the TORQ for the NC and TR respectively. Both of these guns are absolutely absurd for longer range combat. 200 damage medics, the fun never stops.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

Torabi posted:

Started playing PS2 again after a very long time. What ever happened to all of the passive skills that you could get? I remember being able to look at a long list of upgrades but now I barely see anything. Do you have to level up before you can even cert into that stuff or something? Because there is like, one thing in the medic passive cert stuff for me for example.

The only really passive skills I can think of are armors and the medic's Triage ability, which is pretty underwhelming. It's nice to plug the first level into it but after that the returns diminish quite quickly. Armor certs are certainly debatable but most people agree that grenade bandoleer is the best for medic, along with revive grenades.

Rookersh posted:

Most GOON players think very highly of the Reaper DMR and the A-Tross. Their 200 damage shots and high accuracy lend themselves to fighting from farther back, which is where a good medic usually is. Assault rifles are actually quite good at fights in the 40-70m range so I'm not sure where that previous thinking came from, unless we're talking about as far back as Beta or something. The Carnage is still widely used for its high RoF and .75x ADS move speed though, it's an excellent AR for close/mid range.

e: I'm WarmCigarette/TenPoundMarlin and medick a lot

Jorge Bell fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 6, 2014

JuancitoEfectivo
Sep 3, 2011
lol at TR being warpgated on hossin

i'm TR :negative:

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

Epic High Five posted:

I play medic full time, and I will tell you that it's played best as a medium assault. Think like an EMT/Paramedic - nothing medical until I know the scene is safe, with the chief difference being that you have the AR instead of the cops you'd otherwise be waiting on. Clear the scene, tend to the wounded. Or just chuck a revive nade and keep on killing (which is what I do)

And yeah, no longer is it 100exp for killing a sundy or like 1k for downing a full battle gal. It positively rains exp nowadays, eat it up

Pffffft. If the scene is ever safe in planetside 2, you aren't doing it right.

I'm using the NS11 for whatever ungodly reason at the moment. I don't remember, I think I like the sound. I also tend to lag back a bit, since if I die, I can't be guaranteed someone else will revive me. That and my aim is bad.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Why do some of my loadouts' primaries get reset everytime I log in or change continents?
It happens since the last patch. Seems to affect the cyclone and AC-X11...

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Should I use HVA with my A-Tross?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Daynab posted:

Why do some of my loadouts' primaries get reset everytime I log in or change continents?
It happens since the last patch. Seems to affect the cyclone and AC-X11...

You have to re-purchase the advanced grip or laser sight on them. If you don't they get replaced with the stock weapon for the class.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

Trogdos! posted:

Should I use HVA with my A-Tross?

My philosophy with HVA is that if you need it on an automatic gun you're too far away to hit anything more than once with the increased recoil anyway. I'd rather maintain solid mid-range accuracy than have an easier time plinking at distant enemies.

If you single-shot a lot it could be worth it, I guess. I've seen varying opinions on it.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Yeah, I have it equipped on my Warden but since I mainly just flank and spray 10-bullet bursts from medium range on my victims with the Tross, I get the feeling that added recoil doesn't justify the damage falloff reduction. I often have to hipfire it in close quarters and HVA is just a hindrance then.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Rexxed posted:

You have to re-purchase the advanced grip or laser sight on them. If you don't they get replaced with the stock weapon for the class.

Oh okay, I was confused because it would let me use the weapon just fine even without unlocking it again.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

JuancitoEfectivo posted:

lol at TR being warpgated on hossin

i'm TR :negative:

You're Emerald TR? What is your name on Emerald?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

o muerte posted:

To be fair locking a continent with 50% pop (Hossin) isn't much of a thing to brag about. I guess you *can* brag about about it but it doesn't say much for the quality of play involved.

Hossin prior to the Shrekoning:

NC and TR got absolutely shafted with this server merge. Waterson VS were never bad, just underpopped and apathetic. Since the merge they've gotten their asses in gear. VS remains the dominant Mattherson Emerald faction.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 6, 2014

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
^ Nice typo in the pic

Jorge Bell posted:

My philosophy with HVA is that if you need it on an automatic gun you're too far away to hit anything more than once with the increased recoil anyway. I'd rather maintain solid mid-range accuracy than have an easier time plinking at distant enemies.

If you single-shot a lot it could be worth it, I guess. I've seen varying opinions on it.

Yeah, get soft point ammo for everything that can get it and only put HVA on your battle rifle. On automatic guns the recoil is just way too harsh.

Leal fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 6, 2014

JuancitoEfectivo
Sep 3, 2011

vigorous sodomy posted:

You're Emerald TR? What is your name on Emerald?

Im RyuichiSakamoto

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Jorge Bell posted:

Most GOON players think very highly of the Reaper DMR and the A-Tross. Their 200 damage shots and high accuracy lend themselves to fighting from farther back, which is where a good medic usually is. Assault rifles are actually quite good at fights in the 40-70m range so I'm not sure where that previous thinking came from, unless we're talking about as far back as Beta or something. The Carnage is still widely used for its high RoF and .75x ADS move speed though, it's an excellent AR for close/mid range.

e: I'm WarmCigarette/TenPoundMarlin and medick a lot

The way I remember it being argued, most fighting took place in Biolabs/close quarters, so you should use a close/midrange hipfire gun. There was also talk about how long it takes to switch guns/iron sights, so if you encounter someone, again you'd want a high RoF/hipfire gun.

I guess now that fights are a bit more open, longer range guns can shine more.

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah, I suppose it's just adjusting for me. When I'm doing Tech Lab/Amps, I usually hang out near the backline healing up all the HAs/Infils until the gate goes down. At that point I'll charge in and stick to buildings. I try to avoid the open as much as possible because that's a good way to die. If I run into people indoors, I'll pop up the aoe heal then burn them down with my close range weapons before finding more people to heal.

I suppose I should try out a Reaper at least, and mess around with being a bit more combat focused.

And yeah, the certgain now is silly. Getting 100 certs last year was something that'd take the better part of a month if you weren't on the winning side. The 5 double exp ribbons, plus the 12 certs you get just for sleeping each night combined gives you 100 certs in a single day. And you can do it every single day! I'm excited that after a few weeks I'll actually be able to have a fully leveled up Medic, and be thinking about leveling up a Sundy/Engineer/HA.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

JuancitoEfectivo posted:

Im RyuichiSakamoto

Youre one of my favorite musicians

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I unlocked the 1000 cert final upgrade to the medic shield regen thing just now and it is a noticeable upgrade in terms up recharge speed. It is a good upgrade for the man who has everything.

JuancitoEfectivo
Sep 3, 2011

Space Hamlet posted:

Youre one of my favorite musicians

people sometimes send me tells about that haha. i think i was listening to that ambient album he did with fennesz when i created my character

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
TR outfits are the worst. Was in an outfit for less than 24 hours before being unceremoniously removed from the outfit and banned from their TS. No reason given, no warning, no nothing. The only reason I can think was because I had a title in front of my name? I removed the title even but man how dare they tell me not to rock my Hater title in the name of 'strategic tactics.' Then they ignore tells asking 'Why was I kicked? What did I do' like the hard nosed professionals they really are. Like another lovely outfit I know.

I suppose it's a favor though, they were unambiguously lovely people who carried on with faggots and untold amounts of racist shittiness in coms.

When is it admissible to mark people and outfits as KOS? Mine their sundies, conc their point holds all in the name of spite?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 6, 2014

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

vigorous sodomy posted:

TR outfits are the worst. Was in an outfit for less than 24 hours before being unceremoniously removed from the outfit and banned from their TS. No reason given, no warning, no nothing. The only reason I can think was because I had a title in front of my name? I removed the title even but man how dare they tell me not to rock my Hater title in the name of 'strategic tactics.' Then they ignore tells asking 'Why was I kicked? What did I do' like the hard nosed professionals they really are. Like another lovely outfit I know.

I suppose it's a favor though, they were unambiguously lovely people who carried on with faggots and untold amounts of racist shittiness in coms.

When is it admissible to mark people and outfits as KIA? Mine their sundies, conc their point holds all in the name of spite?

Going on a TK spree and sabotaging everything they do sounds like a great way to banned.

Just move on and join K0TH.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Going on a TK spree and sabotaging everything they do sounds like a great way to banned.

Just move on and join K0TH.

It's impossible to prove it was intentional, and SOE doesn't ban anybody. Seriously.

Besides, K0TH is cool, but it's an NC alt outfit, which means the only time it's active is when you NC guys get bored of GOD SAWing nerds in the face.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Solution: don't play TR. TR is a land of degenerates. I suspect many of them are closet bronies. TR exists to get pampered with all the best poo poo while they complain about it not being bullshit enough.

Reroll on a real faction and watch your troubles end.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

vigorous sodomy posted:

When is it admissible to mark people and outfits as KOS? Mine their sundies, conc their point holds all in the name of spite?

Wait, hold on, there's a Hater title?

*one Google later*

Which you get for using the Blackheart crossbow? Dangit, I bought the Heartstrings crossbow. I guess if I actually kill dudes with it instead of using sensor darts I can get a "Sweetheart" title, but that's not quite the same as Hater.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Gonkish posted:

Solution: don't play TR. TR is a land of degenerates. I suspect many of them are closet bronies. TR exists to get pampered with all the best poo poo while they complain about it not being bullshit enough.

Would that I could. I'm BR 64 with a lot of TR guns Auraxed. I'm totally certed out and I love the guns. NC guns are clunky, boxy and lovely. Anytime I play an NC character and aim down sights it's like Cloverfield with all the camera shake.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
My general rules of thumb for HVA:
  • Always on carbines, and usually Compensators too as they're penalized less on carbines. It's too helpful for the damage and velocity not to use.
  • Never on ARs, and avoid Compensators there with some exceptions.
  • Never, never, never, never on LMGs. Compensator depends on the choice but is often a good call if the LMG doesn't have really good base hipfire.
  • Never on Battle Rifles, it has no effect whatsoever on the damage and the velocity on them is fine.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

vigorous sodomy posted:

Would that I could. I'm BR 64 with a lot of TR guns Auraxed. I'm totally certed out and I love the guns. NC guns are clunky, boxy and lovely. Anytime I play an NC character and aim down sights it's like Cloverfield with all the camera shake.

How are you so wrong?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Nakar posted:

My general rules of thumb for HVA:
  • Always on carbines, and usually Compensators too as they're penalized less on carbines. It's too helpful for the damage and velocity not to use.
  • Never on ARs, and avoid Compensators there with some exceptions.
  • Never, never, never, never on LMGs. Compensator depends on the choice but is often a good call if the LMG doesn't have really good base hipfire.
  • Never on Battle Rifles, it has no effect whatsoever on the damage and the velocity on them is fine.

This all looks great, except for the BR bit. Why wouldn't you use it where it would have absolutely zero drawbacks?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Gaghskull posted:

How are you so wrong?

NC Guns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2EE2rDfs5U

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Gonkish posted:

Also don't join NC either because they're mentally incapable. Join VS! We need more and 37% world pop does wonders to alleviate ever losing anywhere. :)

Pss join goku because we literally started the Shrek meme.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

NC guns aren't like TR guns. TR guns, you just waft your sights over people and get certs. NC guns require a little more skill to be effective, but when they do hit they hit like a truck.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

NC has over all the best gun selection hands down, TR/VS have some jewels but they are few and far between compared to the loving all out awesome that is EVERY SINGLE NC gun.

Gun rankings
#1 NC cyclone/SAW/GDS/anchor/AR's/carbines
#2 TR carv/ARs/carbines/hailstorm
#3 VS orion/SV88/pulsar C/corvus

Every other gun is mostly just a copy that every empire gets.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Planetside 2 guns summed up in GIFs:

TR:

NC:

VS:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Planetside 2 guns summed up in GIFs:

TR:

NC:

VS:

That NC pic is VS, sorry.

I have noticed one thing... there's a notable chunk of the NC pop since the merge that suddenly will start TKing in big fights. I have no idea if they're TR or VS alts, but they came over from Waterson and anytime there's a big fight they never fail to suddenly drop a C4 right on the defending NC, or AV mine our own Sundie. It's really annoying and getting hard to pin down who the hell they are with reports. drat frustrating.

• Locked thread