Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thyrork posted:

Isn't his nickname that Set gave him a nod to this? Cant recall what it was.

He keeps calling him Shimshon but I don't know what it means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
A lot of the map layouts emphasize cover, but in a way that incentivizes flanking, rather than plinking from behind cover. The most obvious examples are the huge hallway fights in the last levels, where you're constantly darting in and out of offices, doing circles around the main arena to try to do damage to the enemy numbers. It helps that you're by far the fastest thing on the battlefield. I don't think COD plays that way at all.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

He keeps calling him Shimshon but I don't know what it means.

It's the Hebrew name for Samson.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fag Boy Jim posted:

A lot of the map layouts emphasize cover, but in a way that incentivizes flanking, rather than plinking from behind cover. The most obvious examples are the huge hallway fights in the last levels, where you're constantly darting in and out of offices, doing circles around the main arena to try to do damage to the enemy numbers. It helps that you're by far the fastest thing on the battlefield. I don't think COD plays that way at all.

Does flanking do anything in TNO?

Honestly I've never been able to figure out how to do it, as soon as I go into an area when people are on alert, they all just hide behind something and start shooting at me. If I retreat and try to find another way in, they just all hide behind something again based on where I moved to. The enemies are pretty agile and in a huge amount of the later fights, I find there really isn't any alternate route around the level, so if you get into a fight, you have to run through gunfire in order to reposition, at which point the enemies all move anyway.

I mean I've found it necessary to move up during fights in the later levels, but it's only so I can move to somewhere I can see the enemy from, then I get right back to hiding behind a wall and plinking until they die, then move up to the next enemies. Actually trying to get around the enemy cover doesn't seem to work because everyone just opens up on you.

DangerKat posted:

It's the Hebrew name for Samson.

Huh.

I thought it might be that but then I figured it would probably be a completely different word.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 6, 2014

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
You can absolutely flank in a ton of areas even after the guards know you're there. It's harder if backup was radio'd but a lot of the stealth channels can be used to reposition and get the drop on guys. Honestly, I'm not even sure how I'd go about the huge hallway fight with the multiple robots in the last level without using the side hallways to get around them and you aren't making it to the hallway without getting their attention.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's not a tactical shooter, but it's sometimes very helpful to simply get on the other sides of enemies, even if only for a few seconds- especially if it means you aren't being flanked yourself anymore by moving. The end of the submarine level is a good example of this- you will get flanked and killed if you stay in any one place.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It's not a tactical shooter, but it's sometimes very helpful to simply get on the other sides of enemies, even if only for a few seconds- especially if it means you aren't being flanked yourself anymore by moving. The end of the submarine level is a good example of this- you will get flanked and killed if you stay in any one place.

When I did that I moved up the side steadily, certainly, but that's exactly how I played CoD too, I still spent most of the time taking a few shots, then hiding for a few seconds until the enemies stop shooting, then popping out for one second to exploit the second or so delay the enemies have before they start shooting at you, and firing again.

Essentially I found throughout the entire game, that that one second delay and couple of seconds of continuing fire was the pattern for just about every enemy. If you stay out during the shooting phase, you take a load of damage, so you get a second to shoot people, then a couple of seconds downtime, then another second of shooting. Move as necessary to avoid grenades and find more enemies, repeat for every enemy you encouter, including most bosses.

I never really got on the other side of anybody, just closer to them so I could hit better, or into a better position where I had more cover, the enemies are quick to reposition if you get too far around them.

That's one thing I would applaud the game for, it's got quite good enemy AI in places.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 6, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I enjoyed the gameplay. I felt it was a solid shooter despite it not really doing anything new. But it was the stuff that went along with the gameplay that were disappointing. Its like they have this cool premise about Nazis winning WW2, and then do nothing really interesting with it aside from making you go down bland corridors.

It would have been more interesting to get glimpses at how the new society has transpired. I would have liked less labs and more shopping malls. Just something beyond loving sewers and military bases.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

When I did that I moved up the side steadily, certainly, but that's exactly how I played CoD too, I still spent most of the time taking a few shots, then hiding for a few seconds until the enemies stop shooting, then popping out for one second to exploit the second or so delay the enemies have before they start shooting at you, and firing again.

Essentially I found throughout the entire game, that that one second delay and couple of seconds of continuing fire was the pattern for just about every enemy. If you stay out during the shooting phase, you take a load of damage, so you get a second to shoot people, then a couple of seconds downtime, then another second of shooting. Move as necessary to avoid grenades and find more enemies, repeat for every enemy you encouter, including most bosses.

I never really got on the other side of anybody, just closer to them so I could hit better, or into a better position where I had more cover, the enemies are quick to reposition if you get too far around them.

That's one thing I would applaud the game for, it's got quite good enemy AI in places.

That is kind of the problem, you where playing like a CoD player during quick time events, which the game does allow that. But that is the boring way to play TNO

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I enjoyed the gameplay. I felt it was a solid shooter despite it not really doing anything new. But it was the stuff that went along with the gameplay that were disappointing. Its like they have this cool premise about Nazis winning WW2, and then do nothing really interesting with it aside from making you go down bland corridors.

It would have been more interesting to get glimpses at how the new society has transpired. I would have liked less labs and more shopping malls. Just something beyond loving sewers and military bases.

Did you read the newspapers?

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
Just did the London Nautica, my favorite line: "Right. Nazis dead, nazi robots dead, broke all your poo poo, helicopters secured." :lol:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
You totally can play this game all dualwielding, all the time, on the highest difficulties. Run, slide to cover, shoot Nazis, then stack their helmets on your head to become invincible.

Also, Autopanzer is a hell of a useful perk for this.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

blackguy32 posted:

It would have been fun to see more civilian areas, but I thought that it fit the setting. A Nazi-dominated society with an omnipresent military and total control of public culture makes sense. There was a reference to the Beatles-like group being required to sing in German in order to be played anywhere. I did wonder whether it made sense that they would allow new music or art given the historical Nazis' extreme dislike of 'degenerate' modernism.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NickBlasta posted:

Just did the London Nautica, my favorite line: "Right. Nazis dead, nazi robots dead, broke all your poo poo, helicopters secured." :lol:

Still think my favorite line is the "Wake up. Your dead" line.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Asema posted:

Still think my favorite line is the "Wake up. Your dead" line.

"I'm commin for ya Nazi fuckin' space man." Is still my favorite.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

"gently caress you, Moon." is my favourite.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

:colbert:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Vadoc posted:

This is the most correct.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Vadoc posted:

I third

Gameplay related, I never figured out how to switch modes on offhand weapons when duel welding. never found an option but I have seen videos with both weapons switched on the offhand. What did I miss?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Stevefin posted:

I third

Gameplay related, I never figured out how to switch modes on offhand weapons when duel welding. never found an option but I have seen videos with both weapons switched on the offhand. What did I miss?

On PC, it's the Z key. Took me forever to realize for some reason.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
I think my favourite line was "what the gently caress did I just do?" BJs reaction after using the first spindly torque was a really neat touch, no other point in tno or any previous wolfenstein i can remember really has him causing what could easily be large scale civilian casualties, and it mirrors perfectly with Fergus/Wyatt talking about how youre a killing machine just moments before.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Vadoc posted:

Whoever wrote BJ's lines was a genius. This was perfect

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
While the "broke all your poo poo" line is a close second, I still think the way he says, "I'm in your house, general" is so awesome.

Was starting over on the Fergus time line, can we talk about how poo poo the hot wiring mini game is? Like gently caress that thing and it's awkward controls.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
"Vrrrrm, vrrrrrrm, HONK HONK. Hey darlin', how 'bout we go for a spin?... Well, back to work"

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Werix posted:

While the "broke all your poo poo" line is a close second, I still think the way he says, "I'm in your house, general" is so awesome.

Was starting over on the Fergus time line, can we talk about how poo poo the hot wiring mini game is? Like gently caress that thing and it's awkward controls.

Dont worry, it didnt seem to be anywhere near as common in my experience.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The medallion mechanic in 09 circumvents that by encouraging you to just use your powers to kill people effectively and aggressively the harder the game gets, or break out your superweapons for hard fights. TNO has neither superweapons nor any offensive powers, your primary method of survival is hiding behind something, in 09 it's killing everything as quickly as possible.

Sounds sort of like the Hellstone from Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil. You are right though, the laser is the closest that TNO comes to having "something more then just a gun"; but ultimately the laser is just a gun.

Despite being a fan of ID IP, I somehow missed Wolf 09. It's not on Steam, so would anyone be willing to sell me a used copy?

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
It used to be on Steam, but they ran out of CD keys or something. Your best option is probably ebay.

Though of course if you just search for Wolfenstein nine tenths of the results will be for The New Order. Searching for Wolfenstein 2009 solves that problem... though it's possible you'll miss some relevant results as some sellers might not mention the year in the title or the description.

The other option is my Let's Play of it. [/shameless self promotion]

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

willus posted:

I think my favourite line was "what the gently caress did I just do?" BJs reaction after using the first spindly torque was a really neat touch, no other point in tno or any previous wolfenstein i can remember really has him causing what could easily be large scale civilian casualties, and it mirrors perfectly with Fergus/Wyatt talking about how youre a killing machine just moments before.

They kind of dance around that by having the unlockable concept art mention that it's used mostly by the Nazi military and a few of the very rich civilians.

The only thing that disappoints me about BJ's lines is how a lot were scrapped, he had some corny(ier?) ones that I assume were removed because they didn't fit with the game's tone. At the beginning of the London Nautica chapter he originally taunted the robodog during the entire chase sequence and moments later when he gets attacked by the robot he channelled Duke Nukem and said to it "Wanna dance?" before getting punched across the room.

GUI fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 7, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Buoy is a stupid word.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Werix posted:

Concentrate on the right hand wire, it's the one that maps to your mouse movement.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Does flanking do anything in TNO?

Uh, it lets you kill the enemies before they realize you're there? :downs:

Like, what are you expecting, loving XCOM-style crits for flanking? What kind of dumbass question is that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DStecks posted:

Uh, it lets you kill the enemies before they realize you're there? :downs:

Like, what are you expecting, loving XCOM-style crits for flanking? What kind of dumbass question is that?

The stealth mechanic is fine, I used lots of that, I meant in combat, enemies don't seem to lose track of you really in combat. They just move into new cover when you try to flank them, least they did when I tried.

If you do end up getting your hands on 09, definitely install the mod linked in this LP, it makes the game a lot better by making the enemies a bit harder, and moving some of the upgrades a bit earlier in the game so you get to make more use of them.

It's good as is, but it benefits from being more challenging, as ultimately it's fairly easy to break the game over you knee in vanilla even on hard.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 7, 2014

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

GUI posted:

They kind of dance around that by having the unlockable concept art mention that it's used mostly by the Nazi military and a few of the very rich civilians.

The only thing that disappoints me about BJ's lines is how a lot were scrapped, he had some corny(ier?) ones that I assume were removed because they didn't fit with the game's tone. At the beginning of the London Nautica chapter he originally taunted the robodog during the entire chase sequence and moments later when he gets attacked by the robot he channelled Duke Nukem and said to it "Wanna dance?" before getting punched across the room.

Theres still loads of cars travelling on the bridge though isnt there? Either way i guess i took the bridge as being the first target that wasnt specifically military.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

willus posted:

Theres still loads of cars travelling on the bridge though isnt there? Either way i guess i took the bridge as being the first target that wasnt specifically military.

It's almost explicitly military--it was built for their effort to take Africa.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

The stealth mechanic is fine, I used lots of that, I meant in combat, enemies don't seem to lose track of you really in combat. They just move into new cover when you try to flank them, least they did when I tried.

I found that they lose track of you very readily. They'll find new cover once they realize they're flanked, because they wouldn't be very good AI if they didn't.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For people looking for more Weird War II gaming goodness, Iron Sky: Invasion is on a Steam weekly sale for $2.00 right now.

I've also been playing the poo poo out of Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 1 and 2, and that's been a blast. If any goons want to co-op that poo poo, my Steam ID is Xenomrph.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

I bought the Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie games in a Steam sale a while back, haven't gotten round to trying them yet. I'll be sure to install them now. (Added you as a friend.)

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Playing TNO like COD is like the worst way to experience it. If you aren't constantly running around mowing down nazis with your dual assault rifles that have rocket launchers strapped to them then you should try it out some time. Also this strategy is entirely viable even on the highest difficulty since its how I played most of the game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

your evil twin posted:

I bought the Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie games in a Steam sale a while back, haven't gotten round to trying them yet. I'll be sure to install them now. (Added you as a friend.)
They play like third-person Left 4 Dead, where you're fighting from one safe house to the next and occasionally withstanding sieges or whatnot. There's a ton of guns, and there's a much greater emphasis on mid-range SMG combat than in the stock Sniper Elite. There's still a good amount of sniping, too.

It reuses a ton of level assets from the main V2 campaign, but it does a really good job of disguising it to the point that you don't notice much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Sounds like fun! Is it worth installing both the first and second games or does the second effectively replace it?

OwlFancier posted:

If you do end up getting your hands on 09, definitely install the mod linked in this LP, it makes the game a lot better by making the enemies a bit harder, and moving some of the upgrades a bit earlier in the game so you get to make more use of them.

It's good as is, but it benefits from being more challenging, as ultimately it's fairly easy to break the game over you knee in vanilla even on hard.

Aw thanks, it's really cool seeing someone recommending my mod. :)

• Locked thread