Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Guess I should post a pic of my Dad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Drag racing dads are the best dads.

Mine also has this:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I saw that and couldn't believe anyone outside of this country would be a PT enthusiast.

When we were in Milan, we walked past a Peugeot dealership that was based out of the ground floor of an apartment building. They were wheeling out onto the "display sidewalk" a PT Cruiser with "TURBO DIESEL!" and "AMERICAN STYLE!" signs on it.

A few days later we were heading to the next stop on our trip, and walked by the dealership again - this time, the car had a "SOLD!" sign in the windshield. :(

That's probably how Italians felt as I was walking through their towns and taking pictures of their many, many glorious shitboxes.

Ahhhhh.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 6, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InitialDave posted:

Any UK goons able to make it should definitely add it to their annual calender.
Holy poo poo, an Australian Chrysler Valiant in the UK! That must have been the one of the small batch that Chrysler UK tried to sell there. A VE model, I used to have one of those (before the wiring took a huge poo poo in it)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Time attack aero has gotten pretty ridiculous lately:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Count Freebasie posted:

Guess I should post a pic of my Dad:

Your dad is/was one of the Wahlay brothers?

More pictures. NOW.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

MrYenko posted:

Your dad is/was one of the Wahlay brothers?

More pictures. NOW.

This!

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Not one of the brothers, but he drove the Warlord. You can GIS "Warlord Barracuda" and you can see some pics, but he told me that he wasn't driving on some of them. Also went to Bonneville Salt Flats when he was 20 to try and set the land speed record at the time (that would have been 1967 or 1968). He told me he drove a Class-B Streamliner powered by four staggered Pontiac Bonneville engines (I have yet to find a picture of it/one). His fastest speed was 289.6 mph (not fast enough), which is funny now that we have top-fuelers doing that in the quarter mile. This was when he was a driver for S&K Speed Shop in Long Island/Queens. I asked him what it was like going that fast and he said "scared shitless and holding the wheel as steady as I could." Unfortunately, he died three months ago so I can't get any more info or answers from him.

His "street-legal" ride that he would drag race on Queens Boulevard or Connecting Highways was a 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury with a 426 wedge and the dope push-button transmission. Blueprinted, bored, and a supercharger. He used to drive around with cheater-slicks so the cops wouldn't give him tickets, but back then in Queens, there were a lot of guys driving maniac rides around. He said that he spent so much money on the car that he couldn't even afford a pack of cigarettes since it all went into the ride. He told me he ran high 9's in the 1/4 mile with it. He would never tell me what happened to it, but I know for a fact that they did a lot of street racing for slips and I have the suspicion that he ended up signing his over after losing a race. I think he was too ashamed to tell me.

When I started modifying cars (my brand new '01 Impreza 2.5RS at the time) and sinking serious cash into it, he started telling me not to waste my money. I said to him "You? YOU'RE telling me this?" He just laughed to himself and said "Yeah, I get it."

I miss my Dad :smith:

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 7, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Linedance posted:

gosh, that's a tough one...

That generation of Mercedes is perhaps the most-copied by the Japanese ever. I'm not some eurosnob that says "Herp derp the Japanese always copy the Germans", but the Merc design did come well in advance and had a lot of influence over designers world wide. A lot of people in this forum hate on that generation, but its styling is what really gave Mercedes a return to popularity against BMW.

Count Freebasie posted:

One of the sexiest cars ever. Along with this:

I'm with you, man. It's old-fashioned and stands just as much on the history of the design as it does the design itself, but it's still one of the few cars of this century that appears significantly wider than it is tall. I would love to have one of the X350 or X358s; I really want to like the new XJ but the front end is so blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah and boring, as is the XFs.

I'd really prefer Jag try to emulate the XF front end on their sedans, or at least do something different than the current XF/XJ fascia.

Edit:

What's the black one? The badge on the hood makes me think of the old FIAT logo, but it's the wrong color.

blk fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 7, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The badge says GT6.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

blk posted:

That generation of Mercedes is perhaps the most-copied by the Japanese ever. I'm not some eurosnob that says "Herp derp the Japanese always copy the Germans", but the Merc design did come well in advance and had a lot of influence over designers world wide. A lot of people in this forum hate on that generation, but its styling is what really gave Mercedes a return to popularity against BMW.

Oh yeah, definitely agreed. I know I was just pulling his leg, but it's true that the accord coupe has always aped the cl. The one I posted is an 03, vs the 01 (or earlier Merc). Personally I really like alot of 00s Merc designs, it's just the Chrysler taint that turns me off of them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

T1g4h posted:

Drag racing dads are the best dads.

Mine also has this:

What't the bike run, out of curiousity? I know nothing about drag racing harleys.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tekne posted:

The 2000s Quattroportes are pretty drat stunning.

It's a shame the replacement has lost some of that distinctiveness, but then again, they're probably better in every metric outside of appearance.

Am I the only person to think these have always looked really loving boring? The grille is the best part of the car and the headlights just look like they were an afterthought the way they just kinda sit funny. There's a really subtle curve that runs from underneath the grille up to the wingmirrors and the lights just sit kind half-arsedly next to it instead of joining it and then the other side of the light with the indicator sits askew with the bumper and front quarter. It's little things like that that make it just look really lazy to my eyes. It's just massively uninspired, the lines on it just scream '90s soft curve obsession' to me, it might be a great car but it just looks like a Chinese copy of something better.

Anyway.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

88h88 posted:

Am I the only person to think these have always looked really loving boring? The grille is the best part of the car and the headlights just look like they were an afterthought the way they just kinda sit funny. There's a really subtle curve that runs from underneath the grille up to the wingmirrors and the lights just sit kind half-arsedly next to it instead of joining it and then the other side of the light with the indicator sits askew with the bumper and front quarter. It's little things like that that make it just look really lazy to my eyes. It's just massively uninspired, the lines on it just scream '90s soft curve obsession' to me, it might be a great car but it just looks like a Chinese copy of something better.

I think they look great. I didn't like them before I saw a few in metal. I don't know what it is, but it seems typical for Italian cars to not photograph well even though they look good in real life.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I liked them before they changed the taillights to boring ones.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Slavvy posted:

What't the bike run, out of curiousity? I know nothing about drag racing harleys.

I want to say 10's in the 1/4, but I don't think dad's ever really had it flat out to test that. Plus, the only strip that's even remotely local to us is like an hour away and it's a 1/8th mile runway setup :shobon:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When we were in Milan, we walked past a Peugeot dealership that was based out of the ground floor of an apartment building. They were wheeling out onto the "display sidewalk" a PT Cruiser with "TURBO DIESEL!" and "AMERICAN STYLE!" signs on it.

A few days later we were heading to the next stop on our trip, and walked by the dealership again - this time, the car had a "SOLD!" sign in the windshield. :(

That's probably how Italians felt as I was walking through their towns and taking pictures of their many, many glorious shitboxes.

Ahhhhh.

I went to some American car show here in the Netherlands and there was tons of awesome stuff, but also like a dozen dudes with customized PT cruisers and, maybe even worse, a whole group of pretty much riced Neons. Maybe it's just because the Neon was actually sold here and is no doubt dirt-cheap by now. Some people also just brought their Chrysler minivans (sold in droves here), good for them.

As with any car show the parking lot had some treats too:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

blk posted:

I liked it when Toyota decided they quite liked the iconic Mercedes headlight design...

So much so that they decided to put it on the back too! :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

I liked it when Toyota decided they quite liked the iconic Mercedes headlight design...

So much so that they decided to put it on the back too! :v:

I've always loved that model GS, and tbh it wears the 4 headlight look far better than the '90s e-class. It's probably possible that the Toyota designers got some ideas about what Mercedes was planning to do when they designed the Aristo, but it's a lot less like the E-class than say the LS430 compared to the S-class.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you: a murdered out Aztek.

It...actually looks kind of good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like a Prius in suv form from that angle.

Which is probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said about an Aztec.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Two Opel GTs in two pages and I didn't post either one of them :stare:

In Europe to boot, and that's a car that sold the vast majority of its production into the US.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

freelop posted:

Either there are multiple of those steam cars chugging about or that chap was at Banbury the other weekend

I hope it did the 129 miles under its own steam

Dude, it's England. They were probably just out getting groceries.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I need this in my life http://youtu.be/-BNMvBnm14o

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Linedance posted:

I've always loved that model GS, and tbh it wears the 4 headlight look far better than the '90s e-class. It's probably possible that the Toyota designers got some ideas about what Mercedes was planning to do when they designed the Aristo, but it's a lot less like the E-class than say the LS430 compared to the S-class.

You're half right. The Aristo actually looks way better than the GS:

Literally the only pictures on GIS that jump out as not being horribly riced or just of really crap examples. I guess the owner's pool doesn't intersect much with people who take care of their poo poo.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Literally the only pictures on GIS that jump out as not being horribly riced or just of really crap examples. I guess the owner's pool doesn't intersect much with people who take care of their poo poo.

It looks like something I made for a pine-box derby when I was a Cub Scout.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Slavvy posted:

That's just the previous model of the same car - the badging was market dependent.

Dogtanian
Jan 31, 2007

This space intentionally left blank
Caught a McLaren P1 in the wild on dashcam yesterday

Nice little tidbit from Wikipedia:

quote:

Production will be strictly limited to 375 units which according to McLaren is to maintain exclusivity. Pricing starts at GB£866,000 (€1,030,000 or US$1,350,000)[11] but, as of November 2013, about 75% of P1 customers have opted for some level of unique design from McLaren Special Operations, raising the average sale price of a P1 above GB£1 million (€1,2 million or US$1.6 million).

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

InitialDave posted:

Any UK goons able to make it should definitely add it to their annual calender.
Yeah, I would have gone with The Independent Porsche Enthusiasts Club (pictured), but I was visiting the girlfriend's family.

Although my 944 wants a machine polish to bring the paint back. :(

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I'll admit, I don't keep up too much on exotic cars. I saw the rear end end of this on Park Ave in NYC; what is it?

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!
McLaren MP4-12C or 650s.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Count Freebasie posted:

I'll admit, I don't keep up too much on exotic cars. I saw the rear end end of this on Park Ave in NYC; what is it?

Lmao left brake light out already?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

SuperDucky posted:

Perhaps it's blinking for the left turn he is currently making?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
f/b ^^^

SuperDucky posted:

His left blinker is on which on a lot of cars overrides the constant on of a depressed brake pedal if they share the same bulb. Look at which way his wheels are turned.

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!
More likely that the "flickering" of the LED lights has been caught by the camera.

I took this picture of the P1 going up the Hill at Goodwood a couple of weeks ago, and its lights were definitely working and always on, at least to the naked eye.

by David - UK, on Flickr

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

In the slow motion videos you can see that the lights flicker like crazy. Probably pulse width modulation to set their brightness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb8tGX-HPQE
(skip to 25:30 to see)

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

SuperDucky posted:

It was a blinking turn signal. The light was functioning as he was making a left turn.

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 8, 2014

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

Slavvy posted:

http://i.imgur.com/FO9xJmgl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uu8PVBXl.jpg

I'm going with a friend this weekend to help him pick up a super clean 93 Aristo roller. American V8s may also be involved in the coming weeks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see