Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

fyallm posted:

But again the stupid loving girl had to just stare at it because no girl touched it yet.... gently caress my life..

:D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

drat phone posting, and the fact it makes my blood boil... I fixed it, thanks..

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

fyallm posted:

Won our game yesterday 7-4 , we played out of our minds and started passing really well.

But again the stupid loving girl touch rule ruined the whole day for me. The other team passed it back to the goalie I ran after it stole it from the goalie was standing right in front of an empty net and had to just stare at it because no girl touched the soccer ball yet.... gently caress my life..

We are thinking of moving down to the lowest league because right now we either get blown out or its a close game.

That whole girl-must-get-a-touch rule is loving ludicrous

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

TheBigAristotle posted:

That whole girl-must-get-a-touch rule is loving ludicrous

What do they do for those who identify as a different gender? Is there a fifth official?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
It looks like my attempts were futile...

"I did ask around. I didn't find that other women or teams felt the same way about the touch rule. I researched other facilities in the local area and none play coed soccer without some sort of "touch" by female rules. Our "Indoor Rules" have been in place since we opened for indoor soccer in the early 90's. We don't plan at this time to make any major adjustments to the standing rules. I hope this doesn't exclude your team from playing in future sessions."

Good ole' progressive Cincinnati.

EDIT:

I am glad to see he actually asked players in our league but their responses baffle me...

Player 1: If anything I feel like it is not degrading but more competitive because there's the need to develop teamwork between men and women on offense and then you are actually defended by opposing team as well. If you are competitive and a good player the opposing team as well as your own team will know you as a good asset to the game and treat you as an equal on not just getting touch but part of the game as a whole. Touch seems to be a challenge to obtain on most teams so I don't see the rule to be degrading but a way to challenge the teams and add to the dynamics of game and my position within team.

Player 2: It definitely is not demeaning to females in any way. If anything, it makes girls more involved in the game. It does not say at all that men are more skilled and that females are unequal in soccer. However, there are some male players that would definitely not let girls on their team be involved in the game if you did not have the rule of female touch on the offensive side of the field.

Player 3: I agree with both player #1 and #2. Requiring female touch makes Co-Ed unique. I have to say this is the first time I ever heard of anyone complaining about this rule. As a competitive female, I do not feel that it is demeaning, actual makes us females work harder to get touch.

It looks like this is a lost cause.

fyallm fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 8, 2014

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
What if you kicked it right at the goalie and it went in? Watcha gonna do now, co-ed ref?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Don't play Co-Ed Football. It's that simple.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

ephex posted:

It's worth it for the 6th match of every season.

http://deadspin.com/adult-kickball-team-email-please-dont-gently caress-your-teamma-1564098194

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My shins have been worrying me recently, at least my right shin has, my left ones fine. The other shin however seems to have tightened up over the past month. It heals pretty well throughout the week then after Monday night 5's, it goes back to being tight again.

It's not massively painful unless I'm walking up stairs or pushing myself off a chair or whatever. I'm terrified it's shin splints or something though and that I'll have to resort to golf as my choice of sport :'(

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Ramagamma posted:

My shins have been worrying me recently, at least my right shin has, my left ones fine. The other shin however seems to have tightened up over the past month. It heals pretty well throughout the week then after Monday night 5's, it goes back to being tight again.

It's not massively painful unless I'm walking up stairs or pushing myself off a chair or whatever. I'm terrified it's shin splints or something though and that I'll have to resort to golf as my choice of sport :'(

Phone posting or else I'd post it for you myself - search my posts in this thread and find the ones that describe the shin splint stretch (pics included). Once I included that in my warmup routine (or rather before, since it's easier to do without your boots on) I never got them again.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So my compartment syndrome was very much like shin splints. If it is on the bone it os shon splints. If it is near the muscles even near the bone but not touching. Go see a doc. Trust me, Mr. No Legs

On a good note, I picked up :siren: two official match balls for 55 bucks each :siren: there is this youtube page called soccer reviews for you and he puts up deals of the week he sees on the net. Hes also pretty unbiased when it comes to reviews which is nice and doesnt fall into the "These shoes are for strikers" bullshit. There are still some left. And I think its free shipping in the UK or something.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ephex posted:

Sorry, I'd rather write 1488 words about co-ed football every other page instead.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
So the club I had just started practicing with and planned to join got a trainer who has decided that they will only train serious players who are members :(

I'm in terrible shape at the moment as I haven't done any real sports or activities in years, I'm still sore from the first practice I went to this week (tuesday), my friend who is a member broke the news to me earlier today. I discussed my options with him and it looks like my best bet will be to start training solo and do some pick up football on the weekends at some of the larger parks. Once I'm in better shape and have some decent ball control I can go back and convince the trainer to let me join, I'll have to join the club but that was my end goal.

Anyone got suggestions on things I can do solo? Planning to work on building up endurance by jogging/cycling (15km/day) and work on dribbling/juggling.

This is also in Germany.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Jogging and cycling are both good for your overall aerobic health, but it won't necessarily train you for football. If you think about it, most players run about 10km in 90 minutes. Much of that will be slow jogging or even walking, but there are sporadic periods of intense activity - that's what you need to train for imo. I used to run 10km regularly and it was better than nothing, but I didn't see proper gains in match fitness until I started doing interval training - 'slow' pace (around 5 minutes a km) and then sprinting for approx 200m. I've recently taken to setting arbitrary targets like sprinting to a tree across an expanse of grass or weaving between trees to vary it a bit.

Nothing beats actually playing though.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
the sporadic periods are what kills me, when I said jogging I was thinking more along the lines of what you suggested. The isar river is pretty close to my place with lots of jogging paths so I plan to jog/sprint to build up my stamina. I've basically been told by my friend to focus on ball control by juggling and just playing with the ball, still need to play with people.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
lmao my buddy who works for Nike is getting me a pair of the black Mercurial Superfly boots with the ankles, I'm officially gonna be that guy AMA

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

lmao my buddy who works for Nike is getting me a pair of the black Mercurial Superfly boots with the ankles, I'm officially gonna be that guy AMA

You are dead to me.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

They are really cool, would also wear them for not football

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Ashex posted:

So the club I had just started practicing with and planned to join got a trainer who has decided that they will only train serious players who are members :(

I'm in terrible shape at the moment as I haven't done any real sports or activities in years, I'm still sore from the first practice I went to this week (tuesday), my friend who is a member broke the news to me earlier today. I discussed my options with him and it looks like my best bet will be to start training solo and do some pick up football on the weekends at some of the larger parks. Once I'm in better shape and have some decent ball control I can go back and convince the trainer to let me join, I'll have to join the club but that was my end goal.

Anyone got suggestions on things I can do solo? Planning to work on building up endurance by jogging/cycling (15km/day) and work on dribbling/juggling.

This is also in Germany.

Hrm... You're goering to train in Germany? I would suggest a very low calorie diet followed by long periods of functional exercises. Lifting, chopping stacking motions are good. Do at a high intensity and always have someone watching to keep you accountable. As other posters have mentioned, slow long runs aren't going to get you anywhere, so I would suggest occasional runs as fast as you possibly can. Just keep going until you're gassed.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Do they make them for futsal/indoor use?

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Bogan Krkic posted:

Don't think so. But they do have an AG model that has the turf/synthetic cleats, if your indoor is on carpet.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Bogan Krkic posted:

google says they do

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My match balls arrives today. My leg still isnt 100% healed yet, but Im probably going to go out and kick pens and free kicks this week anyways.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Up in the club?

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

They have arrived, and hell, I might do this. They are insane.

But they feel like they could get shredded by a terrible tackle. I am glad I did not pay all the monies for them.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
20 minutes into our first pre-season friendly on sunday, our striker had his new Nike Blackouts ripped by some lump of a defender.

Buy boots appropriate to your level, kids!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

That's shoddy craftsmanship IMO. It's not like stepping on cleats is a new thing

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Soulex posted:

That's shoddy craftsmanship IMO. It's not like stepping on cleats is a new thing

They've convinced people that really thin synthetic shoes are somehow better and worth twice as much. If that's not absurd enough for you, you can get some made out of loving yarn. There's a sucker born every minute.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, boots don't really help much in terms of the quality. I had a 30 dollar pair of boots and a hundred and twenty pair of boots and they worked about the same. The cool lethal zones doesn't mean poo poo if you sky the ball every time you kick it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ChrisXP posted:

20 minutes into our first pre-season friendly on sunday, our striker had his new Nike Blackouts ripped by some lump of a defender.

Buy boots appropriate to your level, kids!

Or just buy boots you like, like an adult.

If they're new Nike will replace them for free anyway.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Shrapnig posted:

Or just buy boots you like, like an adult.

If they're new Nike will replace them for free anyway.

You're thinking of Apple

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I've just bought these, my first pair of synthetic boots in a very long time.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My beautiful new boots that I didn't only buy because my cat peed on my old ones and these were half price. Totally not for that reason.

http://www.rebelsport.com.au/Product/Warrior-Skreamer-Combat-Men-s-Football-Boots/42888902?menuFrom=32203

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Giving these Asics a whirl. Won't get to actually play in them until next week though.

I have been using Puma Kings for a while, but have heard some good stuff about the Asics cleat.

TasmanianX fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 25, 2014

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I use the Neymar boots with the skull and crossbones and they're really good imo, I think they're Hypervenoms

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
:barf: @ those 2 last posted

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

These are mine

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

:barf: @ those 2 last posted

post your boots

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CaptainRightful posted:

They've convinced people that really thin synthetic shoes are somehow better and worth twice as much. If that's not absurd enough for you, you can get some made out of loving yarn. There's a sucker born every minute.

Those yarn boots look pretty awesome to be fair, but I can't imagine them holding up or not being a gross pile of mildew the second it rains.

http://www.designboom.com/design/adidas-launch-samba-primeknit-the-worlds-first-knitted-football-boot/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

iajanus posted:

My beautiful new boots that I didn't only buy because my cat peed on my old ones and these were half price. Totally not for that reason.

http://www.rebelsport.com.au/Product/Warrior-Skreamer-Combat-Men-s-Football-Boots/42888902?menuFrom=32203

Hideous