Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
My little brother is 11, and he remembers Assad's name from al-Asad in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Do we have any evidence about his age besides say-so on twitter? Because I'd definitely guess closer to 10 than 16 from that photo.

Honestly there's enough other, well verified, absolutely horrific stuff IS has done -poo poo, they openly admit to most of it- that I'm not even sure the point of quibbling about the age of the person in this one instance.

Sure in this one case they may not of been as bad as was originally thought, we still know they've done worse before and very likely will again.

When it comes to reporting this stuff thought you do always need to be accurate. If you start mis-reporting some incidents then it people will often use that to undermine other stuff that have been properly verified.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

My little brother is 11, and he remembers Assad's name from al-Asad in that game.

Cronenberg’s films insist that human nature is no longer “natural.” People are wired together by media. Their relation to the world, each other, and themselves has nothing of primal spontaneity or ingenuousness. We are already so inextricably and invol­un­tarily “connected” that closer contact risks the total loss of identity by the contamination of other people’s thoughts, feelings, opinions, and personalities.

JT Jag posted:

Call of Duty 4 was the last good Call of Duty

Yes.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Assad. Asad.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/07/11/4231510/expansion-of-secret-facility-in.html

Any other news of American operations in Kurdish areas? I am completely for this.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
In that IS propaganda video of drive-bys while passing cars, was that a freaking dream catcher hanging from the rearview mirror?

I'm kind of surprised they didn't accuse each other of being animists and start firing at each other inside of the car.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I remember seeing that and wondering about it too. It seems more than a little out of place.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Nonsense posted:

How the gently caress do you have such absolutist thinking considering the absolute shithole Gulf War II made Iraq?It's both, sorry hth.

Yes in American occupation free Syria we don't see anything like this.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Baloogan posted:

Just keep on pretending that they have no agency.

Large groups of people act suspiciously like a swarm of animals, ~*~free will~*~ can't always trump surrounding conditions, and repeatedly bombing the poo poo out of people is a change in condition likely to make a sufficient number of them angry enough to let rear end in a top hat extremists win over cooler heads. You happy yet?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Well I guess we should let IS be.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Best Friends posted:

Yes in American occupation free Syria we don't see anything like this.

Yeah, Syria and Iraq are situated in parallel universes with no points of contact, so we can safely say that there was no relationship at all between the fates of both countries. In particular, the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria is known not to have obtained military equipment in Iraq and not to have used it in Syria. We only need to go back to Syria as it was in 2002 to see that it was already like it is now in 2014.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah, Syria and Iraq are situated in parallel universes with no points of contact, so we can safely say that there was no relationship at all between the fates of both countries. In particular, the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria is known not to have obtained military equipment in Iraq and not to have used it in Syria. We only need to go back to Syria as it was in 2002 to see that it was already like it is now in 2014.

Are you trying to connect the US occupation of Iraq with the uprising in Syria? There's not much there hth.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
I think the slogan on that kid's t-shirt reads 'broke fast without legitimate reason'

I won't be seen breaking fast in public. Far too risky.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Volkerball posted:

Are you trying to connect the US occupation of Iraq with the uprising in Syria? There's not much there hth.
The initial Syrian uprising? No, the US occupation didn't have much to do with that. But the influx of insurgents can be at least in part traced to the instability of Iraq during the occupation.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm not so sure that Iraq wouldn't have turned into something akin to Syria, perhaps faster, after the 2008 crisis, US invasion/occupation or no. Arguably both Syria, Egypt and Libya were in better shape than Iraq was, even before 2003 (granted, sanctions had something to do with that).

What's going on today have been brewing for quite awhile.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Pimpmust posted:

I'm not so sure that Iraq wouldn't have turned into something akin to Syria, perhaps faster, after the 2008 crisis, US invasion/occupation or no. Arguably both Syria, Egypt and Libya were in better shape than Iraq was, even before 2003 (granted, sanctions had something to do with that).

What's going on today have been brewing for quite awhile.

Very much agreed. The only difference is now the US as a hand in Iraq.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
This is just a race to the bottom, the US has been involved in picking Syrian leaders as well as heavily influencing the Middle East region since the 50s.

Pan Arabism, any real kind of democracy or indeed any moderate non-client leadership has been crushed in the region lest it go against US interests. The outcome is that the only form of opposition left is one so crazily extreme it can't be easily crushed by the US or any of the regional powers. There's no one legitimate left to replace them and no civil society to hold them back.

If in the US even extreme Tea Partiers were wiped out as civil organisations by an all powerful China because they'd dared to consider any US wider interests over China's the crazy militias that were resilient enough to survive all this would be just as terrifying as IS.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

For what gain? Oil?

The support for the Saudis will end as soon as the West has any other real means for oil (and the sooner the better). Once that happens, the Middle East will become what Africa is today assuming China gets on board. After that, it is a free for all to the bottom but no one will really care.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Just The Facts posted:

For what gain? Oil?

The support for the Saudis will end as soon as the West has any other real means for oil (and the sooner the better). Once that happens, the Middle East will become what Africa is today assuming China gets on board. After that, it is a free for all to the bottom but no one will really care.

I'm not sure I understand your point? You agree at least that, as in Africa, outside powers destroyed any semblance of independence or competent civil government and thus no judgement can really be made about local culture from the current state of affairs in Africa or the Middle East?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Outside powers haven't had much affect since WWII, at least in Sub-Sarah Africa. But, since they have no natural resources or strategic value, they've been left on own for better or worse, for the most part.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Just The Facts posted:

For what gain? Oil?

America has tons of gas and oil reserve. The reason Washington wants to keep buying oil from middle east because they need to do that to keep the USD as the oil currency/world currency.

But we should see the end of it pretty soon, maybe in 20-30 years if China keep on the economic pace and keep buying energy with multi-currency deals. And then we will see the House of Sand burn in front of our eyes. Maybe Spec Ops, The Lines too.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 12, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Just The Facts posted:

Outside powers haven't had much affect since WWII, at least in Sub-Sarah Africa. But, since they have no natural resources or strategic value, they've been left on own for better or worse, for the most part.
Yeah, outside powers haven't had much effect in sub-Saharan Africa at all. Besides the many examples of western corporations exploiting the mineral wealth of various African nations, leading to slave labor conditions or worse.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

whatever7 posted:

America has tons of gas and oil reserve. The reason Washington wants to keep buying oil from middle east because they need to do that to keep the USD as the oil currency/world currency.

But we should see the end of it pretty soon, maybe in 20-30 years if China keep on the economic pace and keep buying energy with multi-currency deals. And then we will see the House of Sand burn in front of our eyes. Maybe Spec Ops, The Lines too.

How are the Sauds not panicking? There's no way they can't keep control of their "Kingdom" without throwing tons of cash at its inhabitants.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

SedanChair posted:

In that IS propaganda video of drive-bys while passing cars, was that a freaking dream catcher hanging from the rearview mirror?

I'm kind of surprised they didn't accuse each other of being animists and start firing at each other inside of the car.

It might be a stolen car and they haven't bothered to clean it. For that matter, I doubt most people know what a dreamcatcher is. It's just a random decoration to them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Beautiful.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Volkerball posted:

Connection? Yes. The mess in Iraq is not a direct cause of the uprising, but it had a large effect on the situation and its development. IS is, I think, a good example of something that most probably wouldn't have happened if Iraq had been left untouched by the USA in the 21st century. Maybe Saddam Hussein would have had to deal with an Iraqi Spring as well, but there wouldn't have been an Al-Qaida In Iraq to mutate into ISIS and then IS. This might have allowed the Syrian Spring uprising to be dominated by secular movements, instead of being dominated by jihadists.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Just The Facts posted:

How are the Sauds not panicking? There's no way they can't keep control of their "Kingdom" without throwing tons of cash at its inhabitants.

How is humanity as a whole not panicking over global warming, overfishing, ocean pollution or any of the other half dozen inevitable disasters? Human nature, willful ignorance etc.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Volkerball posted:

Anyone translate the message on his chest?

إفطار بدون عذر شرعي

Essentially 'He broke fast without a legitimate excuse'.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hong XiuQuan posted:

إفطار بدون عذر شرعي

Essentially 'He broke fast without a legitimate excuse'.

Hilariously, if you put this into Google Translate it comes out as "Breakfast without a legitimate excuse", which I suppose is technically still true.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

RZApublican posted:

Hilariously, if you put this into Google Translate it comes out as "Breakfast without a legitimate excuse", which I suppose is technically still true.

Yeah, the first word is 'Iftar' which is breakfast in the breaking fast kind of sense - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iftar but it does sound silly in English to say 'Breakfast without a legitimate excuse'.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Just The Facts posted:

Outside powers haven't had much affect since WWII, at least in Sub-Sarah Africa.

:psyduck:

Just The Facts posted:

But, since they have no natural resources or strategic value, they've been left on own for better or worse, for the most part.

:psyboom:

Jesus poo poo, educate yourself posthaste.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Namarrgon posted:

How is humanity as a whole not panicking over global warming, overfishing, ocean pollution or any of the other half dozen inevitable disasters? Human nature, willful ignorance etc.

Well temperature raising slowly will gently caress over the countries around the Equator its not so bad for the colder countries. So the power that be (US, China, Russia) have not moved off their asses yet. Plus, these large countries have vast geographic diversity to brace the incoming climate change.

But yeah the smaller countries are hosed. BTW there is only one rich country around Tropic of Cancer, Taiwan.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Wrong thread, whoups.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 12, 2014

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

:psyduck:

:psyboom:

Jesus poo poo, educate yourself posthaste.
Now that's a prospect less likely to happen than a (french-sponsored or not) coup d'état in the Comoros.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Toplowtech posted:

Now that's a prospect less likely to happen than a (french-sponsored or not) coup d'état in the Comoros.

Ah, the Comoros. The situation in Anjouan in 1997 is funny to compare to Crimea 2014.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Nice burn. Speaking of self-proclaimed anti-imperialists, that reminds me of an NGO worker I know who said that she supports ISIS' destruction of colonial borders.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 12, 2014

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Skillfully done.

Panas
Nov 1, 2009

Just The Facts posted:

This ignores over fifty years of French military interventions in West Africa. West Africa is in many respects still a French colony. People don't leave you alone, even when you're poor and there's a dominant narrative that you have nothing they want. Power relationships don't work like that. For that reason it's pretty funny that people think the house of Saud, which has been a staunch western ally since the 70's, is going to suddenly be abandoned when the oil runs out. Regional hegemons enjoy things like stability. They'll usually go to extreme lengths to maintain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ahahaha Democratic republic of the Congo, Burkina Faso, Angola, Somalia what the hell how loving ignorant can you be

• Locked thread