Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Aurubin posted:

Was reading a Washington Post article about how, in the face of the rise of ISIS, it would behoove the west to tacitly back Assad. I remember reading a New Republic expose on Bashar that said that this was exactly his plan. What's the saying, inject jihad into an uprising to poison it?

How would that plan even work, "Hey guys, Assad is using chemical weapons on his own civilians! We need to send guns to the rebels to stop the crazy dictator!" *a few months pass* "Hey guys, that crazy dictator is alright, send him guns to defeat those other rebels!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yeah, what would backing Assad implies? Stop sending stuff to FSA and co?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Lifting sanctions I'd imagine. Let someone else supply him.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

DrProsek posted:

How would that plan even work, "Hey guys, Assad is using chemical weapons on his own civilians! We need to send guns to the rebels to stop the crazy dictator!" *a few months pass* "Hey guys, that crazy dictator is alright, send him guns to defeat those other rebels!"

Minus the chemical weapon and arming the rebels in the first place this is pretty much the USAs approach to Egypt, so yeah.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DrProsek posted:

Just more stupid realpolitik nonsense that people have been armchair diplomating for years. It'll never happen for a variety of reasons, namely that Assad winning does nothing to stop terrorism. He wouldn't fight ISIS until every last supporter of the moderates were crushed, so the US would be funding that operation first and foremost. That'd put the US right back into the "gently caress you and die" spotlight with a vengeance. Not to mention that Assad loves outwitting people and stabbing them in the back. If the US got into bed with him, they'd end up in some diabolical trap that dumped them into a shark tank while Assad laughed like a maniac in front of them. All of this has been said openly by US officials, it'd take a blatant as gently caress 180 that would be political hell to double back on it. I don't think they have any intent to do that though because the enemy of my enemy is my friend is some simplified bullshit when you're talking about loving Assad.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 13, 2014

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

farraday posted:

But you're right, you have no specifically said the words that you're advocating homogeneity

That's an awful lot of words for "I was wrong."

Volkerball posted:

Just more stupid realpolitik nonsense that people have been armchair diplomating for years. It'll never happen for a variety of reasons, namely that Assad winning does nothing to stop terrorism. He wouldn't fight ISIS until every last supporter of the moderates were crushed, so the US would be funding that operation first and foremost. That'd put the US right back into the "gently caress you and die" spotlight with a vengeance. Not to mention that Assad loves outwitting people and stabbing them in the back. If the US got into bed with him, they'd end up in some diabolical trap that dumped them into a shark tank while Assad laughed like a maniac in front of them. All of this has been said openly by US officials, it'd take a blatant as gently caress 180 that would be political hell to double back on it. I don't think they have any intent to do that though because the enemy of my enemy is my friend is some simplified bullshit when you're talking about loving Assad.

Yeah, I can get why people would be worried about supporting the various rebel factions, but Assad? Really? That's some industrial-strength evil.

illrepute fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 13, 2014

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Volkerball posted:

Considering the moderate position was to annihilate the Alawites, I think Assad's got his niche.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

namesake posted:

Minus the chemical weapon and arming the rebels in the first place this is pretty much the USAs approach to Egypt, so yeah.
So, basically in a totally different scenario the USA did something kinda similar. The chem weapons and actually arming the opposition are pretty huge, for the USA to turn back and support Assad, the USA would have to at least imply that either the chemical weapons are just dandy, or the USA was lying about them (or some sort of really weak alternative position that the chemical weapons happened, it was not cool, but shut up about that because the rebels are even worse). And then arming the rebels creates a whole new mess which would basically end the FSA, probably with the majority of the members either going to ground or joining up some other rebel group (maybe IS itself) taking their American weapons with them.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

namesake posted:

The sum total of foreign intervention has been to throw weapons into the country, get Assad to give up his declared (important emphasis here) chemical stockpile, attempt a disastrous round of talks at Geneva (where Assad's reps' official term for the entire opposition was "terrorism" and never budged from it once), and wring their hands while the world's worst humanitarian crisis happened right on the borders of a major NATO member.

I'm not for military intervention, but the West's stance toward Syria was just appallingly indifferent.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mightypeon posted:

The Bagdad faction has 40% of Iraqs population. Its just that the corrupt elite on top really love their current position. They also have backing from a very very interested regional power (Iran) and a Great power (Russia). They also do not have the opposition of any Great Powers, and they could conceivably ally with the Kurds.
What is interesting is if current rumors about Iran going around the Maliki gouverment to arm/train Shia militias directly are true, and if yes, wether they are truely going around Maliki or are just giving him plausible deniability.
Iran has btw. clearly indicated that they would accept a replacement for Maliki (but not actually Chalabi, that was a mixture of a practical joke and an olive branch to the USA), and may come up with one such replacement themselfs.

What they are propably afraid of is a "Yanukovich replacement bad timing" effect. In Ukraine, Russia was not very impressed by Yanukovych, and began sounding out alternative candidates. Then Maidan happened, Yanukovach got ousted by force and Russia didnt have an alternative ready. IS could make major gains in the propably unusually chaotic "transition period" from Maliki to whoever will be in charge after him, fear of such gains is likely a factor that is keeping him in power.
This adds an unfortunate dynamic. If Maliki wants to persist, he has to signal to Iran, Russia and other interested parties that any transition away from him would be ridiculously messy (Yanukovych actually did that in Ukraine too) and thus "contraindicated". He can do such "signalling" by greatly degrading the quantity and quality of available possible replacements to him by innovative and propably kinetic means.

This is a big problem, but it is kind of a "luxury problem".

This is from a few pages back but I wanted to point out that Malaki has been doing exactly this. He is positioning himself as the essential Iraqi ruler; without him everything is going to poo poo, he's the only one that can keep the country together, defeat IS, ride off into the sunset etc.

Its a good point you make about being wary of a power vacuum caused by Malaki's ouster. I very much doubt Iran really prefers Malaki to some other ruler, though Malaki has worked extensively with Iran during his time in power. I still see it as only a matter of time before Malaki is gone, unless IS can somehow be swiftly defeated.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

illrepute posted:

That's an awful lot of words for "I was wrong."

Yeah, I can get why people would be worried about supporting the various rebel factions, but Assad? Really? That's some industrial-strength evil.

Keep loving that chicken, tell me more about the beauty of self determinism in regards to South Sudan.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

farraday posted:

Keep loving that chicken, tell me more about the beauty of self determinism in regards to South Sudan.

Take this retarded derail elsewhere. I haven't said anything about South Sudan and in fact, you might be surprised to learn, do not support its creation; from what I've heard, the SPLA wasn't even really interested in separation rather than reforming the government initially. The situation could have been fixed, but was not; the separation that happened has been a disaster. Can you take this to the Africa thread?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

illrepute posted:

Take your retarded derail elsewhere. I haven't said anything about South Sudan and in fact, you might be surprised to learn, do not support its creation; from what I've heard, the SPLA wasn't even really interested in separation rather than reforming the government initially. The situation could have been fixed, but was not; the separation that happened has been a disaster. Can you take this to the Africa thread?

Your'e right self determination can't fail it can only be failed. gently caress off your proposed policy doesn't work and you know it, but as long as it's a theoretical construct you can simply impose it on a situation and say it will be better. You're the libertarianism of foreign policy.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

farraday posted:

Your'e right self determination can't fail it can only be failed. gently caress off your proposed policy doesn't work and you know it, but as long as it's a theoretical construct you can simply impose it on a situation and say it will be better. You're the libertarianism of foreign policy.

You think self-determination is a failed concept? Are you okay? Are you on cocaine?

illrepute fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 13, 2014

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

illrepute posted:

You think self-determination is a fringe ideological concept? Are you on cocaine?

Self determination of borders as a check for conflict? Yeah that's pretty loving out there you clown.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

farraday posted:

Self determination of borders as a check for conflict? Yeah that's pretty loving out there you clown.

It actually isn't, though? Can we take this back into being about the Middle East now?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

This really is a derail but never fear I'm sure much of D&D would love to participate in a energetic and no doubt extremely well educated and reality-based discussion on self-determination in its own not-the-middle-east thread.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

illrepute posted:

It actually isn't, though?

Feel free to cite examples then. Obviously you're dismissing South Sudan as some sort of fringe case. Could you like to cite Yugoslavia? Ukraine? India? Texas? I'm sure you'll think of one sooner or later and use it as essential proof that any other counter examples are false. Timor? Tamils? No don't get up I can keep going. Ireland?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

farraday posted:

Feel free to cite examples then. Obviously you're dismissing South Sudan as some sort of fringe case. Could you like to cite Yugoslavia? Ukraine? India? Texas? I'm sure you'll think of one sooner or later and use it as essential proof that any other counter examples are false. Timor? Tamils? No don't get up I can keep going. Ireland?

Christ dude none of this has anything to do with the Middle East. At first I thought you were just angry, because you've continued to fight with shadows in every single post you've made. You accused me of demanding ethnic homogeneity and it took you a whole page to concede that I hadn't said that. You demanded I justify South Sudan when I hadn't even said anything about it. Now you're demanding I apologize for a shitload of conflicts that have absolutely zero relationship with what the thread is discussing. You're just a psycho looking for some totem to take it out on.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

So, how is Afghanistan going with Abdullah Abdullah (apparently) on the verge of getting screwjobbed two elections in a row? I hear a bunch of warlords have pledged fealty to him and hinted at a civil war if he doesn't get the win...

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
This might be unrelated but is Jerusalem Post a biased piece of poo poo like most Israeli media or is it decent?

Rukeli
May 10, 2014

illrepute posted:

The borders drawn by colonial powers are fake and should be destroyed. The problem is that ISIS is the one doing it.

All borders are fake, in the sense that they are mere human constructions.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

illrepute posted:

Christ dude none of this has anything to do with the Middle East. At first I thought you were just angry, because you've continued to fight with shadows in every single post you've made. You accused me of demanding ethnic homogeneity and it took you a whole page to concede that I hadn't said that. You demanded I justify South Sudan when I hadn't even said anything about it. Now you're demanding I apologize for a shitload of conflicts that have absolutely zero relationship with what we're discussing. You're just a psycho looking for some totem to take it out on.

So you have no citations at all. Got it. Well derail over illrepute has said three times I'm an angry psycho so that means he's right.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Panzeh posted:

Considering the moderate position was to annihilate the Jews, I think Israel has its niche.

This is what you sound like.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Soooo hey, what's... you know.... actually going on over in Iraq and Syria right now? I'm a lot more interested in hearing about that.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

farraday posted:

So you have no citations at all. Got it. Well derail over illrepute has said three times I'm an angry psycho so that means he's right.

What you've provided are a bunch of extremely unrelated examples, angrily demanded I vaguely 'defend' them, and then, and then attacked me for refusing to play your stupid game.

Sergg posted:

Soooo hey, what's... you know.... actually going on over in Iraq and Syria right now? I'm a lot more interested in hearing about that.

Yes, please, can we talk about this?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

illrepute posted:

What you've provided are a bunch of extremely unrelated examples, angrily demanded I vaguely 'defend' them, and then, and then attacked me for refusing to play your stupid game.

Hey hey you called me angry three times so you won, don't gloat.

I mean you could always cite a positive example but I don't want to strain you.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/A308ZZc.jpg :nws:

Here's a giant pile of bodies of Iraqi Shiite militias on the road outside Tikrit. Apparently they aren't as effective as the Iraqi government was hoping for.

Rukeli
May 10, 2014
Do ISIS militants have any way of telling who is/isn't Shia? If you're an Iraqi Shia, isn't it easy to pretend you're Sunni and thus escape death?

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Upon further inspection of other twitter posts, this is actually a huge pile of living Shia who have been rounded up by ISIS near Tikrit. There are various claims that they are militia or that they are just regular Shia. My bet is just regular Shia. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know what's going to happen to them.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

farraday posted:

Hey hey you called me angry three times so you won, don't gloat.

I mean you could always cite a positive example but I don't want to strain you.

Here's the thing. Over the course of this derail you have accused me, repeatedly, of holding positions that I do not. When I tell you that I do not hold those positions, you have not apologized. It took you a full page to admit that I hadn't said the things you were accusing me of saying. Then, you proceeded to do the same thing vis a vis South Sudan and are now demanding I defend every single instance where redrawing the borders (many of these instances, of course, weren't done through self-determination). Christ, do you really want me to explain to you why Ireland leaving the UK was better than it staying? Take your loving pills.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Not quite sure what the logic of trying to surrender to IS is, given their history of war crimes...

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Sergg posted:

Upon further inspection of other twitter posts, this is actually a huge pile of living Shia

Not for long if ISIS's videos are anything to go by

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Sergg posted:

According to AP, Kurds took two more oil refineries outside of Kirkuk. That's a predictable but somewhat significant development I feel.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Rukeli posted:

Do ISIS militants have any way of telling who is/isn't Shia? If you're an Iraqi Shia, isn't it easy to pretend you're Sunni and thus escape death?

Somebody on twitter mentioned asking people about traditionally Sunni hadith and if they couldn't answer, welp

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Sergg posted:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/A308ZZc.jpg :nws:

Here's a giant pile of bodies of Iraqi Shiite militias on the road outside Tikrit. Apparently they aren't as effective as the Iraqi government was hoping for.

Jesus. These guys are scary effective. Are there any news media reporting this to get some kind of narrative as to what happened?

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

http://www.news.com.au/world/middle-east/iraq-beats-back-haditha-assault-sends-4000-volunteers-to-ramadi/story-fnh81ifq-1226987064889

Iraqi Army has repelled an assault on Haditha, is airlifting 4,000 Shiite militia to Ramadi, deep inside ISIS territory.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

This picture was captioned with "If you're in Mosul and some Baathists are troubling you, call the ISIS police force"

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Jesus. These guys are scary effective. Are there any news media reporting this to get some kind of narrative as to what happened?

It's hard to get good info out of Iraq now. The Iraqi government media is transparent propaganda at this point and they're not going to cover their losses with any honesty. And you can't trust the rebels to be wholly accurate either, and western journalists aren't going to risk their necks and go into places like Mosul and Ramadi.

That said, there are a lot of bodies starting to pile up, and it is at least evident that the more poorly trained volunteers aren't doing well. But the more established Shi'ite militias are more capable of holding their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I think they are just very good at using the new internet media. I am not buying half of the things they claim on the 'net.

• Locked thread