Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

revtoiletduck posted:

Pretty sure that phaser lance thing would vaporize an Excelsior in one shot, therefore...

Seriously though, I wish the Galaxy-x wasn't poo poo, because I like the idea of a cruiser with hangar bays, cloak, phaser lance, etc. Gimmicks are fun.

It's an Assault Cruiser/Star Cruiser/???(Depends on what you use the Ensign for) with a hanger bay and other bits. It'll do the job, same as those ships.

But the high-end non-Fleet Excelsior is 2000 Zen. They share the same console layout, 3/4/2, the Excelsior has -1000 HP as compared to Gal-X, but has all four Cruiser Commands(If you care) and the Level 3 Tactical bridge slot which means access to Attack Pattern Omega. Also Excelsior's turn of 8 vs Gal-X 6(Where most cruisers have 7). Essentially it's +500 Zen for the bay, the lance, and the cloak.

The bay can be considered a fairly hefty increase in damage provided what you launch lives.

In the end, it's preference, not a hard 'this ship is terrible'. Not that that means much. Best example I can give: A Vulcan D'Kyr looks marvellous, is considered a foul ship these days, but can still be made to work.

...I wonder how the D'kyr would be done if it were re-released now?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Bloodly posted:

...I wonder how the D'kyr would be done if it were re-released now?

Sort of like the Vesta.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Technical Analysis posted:

If it makes you feel better, as far as poo poo heaps go, the Gal-X is perfectly salvageable. It's not gonna be a scimitar or even an Excelsior, but it'll certainly get the job done.
Yeah, since the revamp of it to add the hangarbay, allow saucer sep to work, and added the fleet version it's actually... alright? The main thing that cripples it is the lack of a Lt.Com tac slot, but as long as you aren't a retard and throwing cannons on it it's perfectly fine for what it does and is no longer one of the worst ships in the game, just not a top tier cruiser.

Problem is you're still flying the Gal-X, an ugly kitbash designed by a five year old ("It's like the enterprise, except it can cloak! And has a big gun! And and and THREE NACELLES!!") so you're losing either way.

wdarkk posted:

Sort of like the Vesta.
Probably, yeah. I doubt it'd have been given a hangar bay (the support ship thing doesn't really translate to that since it changes the ship's model) but it would probably have been more mobile and with a more balanced bridge officer arrangement. Also a fleet version.

Poor D'kyr.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Bloodly posted:

It's an Assault Cruiser/Star Cruiser/???(Depends on what you use the Ensign for) with a hanger bay and other bits. It'll do the job, same as those ships.

But the high-end non-Fleet Excelsior is 2000 Zen. They share the same console layout, 3/4/2, the Excelsior has -1000 HP as compared to Gal-X, but has all four Cruiser Commands(If you care) and the Level 3 Tactical bridge slot which means access to Attack Pattern Omega. Also Excelsior's turn of 8 vs Gal-X 6(Where most cruisers have 7). Essentially it's +500 Zen for the bay, the lance, and the cloak.

The bay can be considered a fairly hefty increase in damage provided what you launch lives.

Any idea if the saucer separation and antimatter spread consoles are worth it? Seems like a lot of gimmicky consoles, especially if I wanted to keep the cloak.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I...wouldn't say they're worth buying the ships they're attached to unless you plan on making another Fed Alt that can use those ships. This is a point of sorts-to get the most out of one ship, you want to buy other ships as well(Much like the way the Avenger CAN cloak, but only if you buy another ship to get it's cloak console).

But then, I'm biased against this sort of thing by default. I even dislike the thought of buying that one KDF ship on that side for a Plasmonic Leech.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 15, 2014

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I always wanted a D'kyr, but even when I started playing years ago it was mediocre.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Psycho Landlord posted:

Well if he's a Romulan he already screwed up, roll a fed and get yourself a Flexcelsior son :colbert:

I have a Science Vice Admiral Fed already. My Romulan is a Tac and I'm leveling him up while I watch DS9.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

revtoiletduck posted:

Any idea if the saucer separation and antimatter spread consoles are worth it? Seems like a lot of gimmicky consoles, especially if I wanted to keep the cloak.

I use my Venture-X (it makes it forgivable/quite nice looking, to me anyways, as we never saw it on screen while the Galaxy X is horrid once you are over the age of 13) with just the saucer sep console and the rest being a conventional layout.

It's a decent extra pet in average PvE, and at very least having it seperated makes you turn better.

The crew loss is meaningless since crew is meaningless and the shotgun lance is definately more effective when buffed than the standard one for PvE purposes.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I fly my D'Kyr and give no fucks. :colbert: I out-DPS the vast majority of pubbies with it anyway because pubbies are terrible.

Most of the fun I have in this game nowadays is trying to out-DPS pubbies in terrible ships.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

revtoiletduck posted:

You can run all three consoles without gimping yourself and honestly what's the point of flying the Gal-X if you're not gonna go full retard? Also the AMS is an actual good console.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you're gonna run AMS you should run Saucer Sep just for the set bonus. Also because dumping the saucer makes the Galaxy a way better ship in combat.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
AMS is one of the most fun consoles in the game.

Oh, you're trying to nuke me. That's cool. Here, have an AOE jam that makes you shoot your friends, or waste your alpha if none of your buddies are in arc. Oh, you're the team healer? Well, I think our guys need it more than you do.

And so on.

Just put it on something that isn't a Gal-X.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

If you're gonna run AMS you should run Saucer Sep just for the set bonus. Also because dumping the saucer makes the Galaxy a way better ship in combat.
Yeah, the important thing to remember about the Gal/Ody saucer sep consoles is that the pet is basically just a bonus (if one that tends to get ganked in seconds). The real benefit is the speed, turn rate, and weapon power; it turns some of the slowest cruisers into the game into ones almost as zippy as an Avenger or Excelsior.

I mean you still shouldn't buy it, but if you were dumb enough to it's a nice bonus. Also,

Lagomorphic posted:

honestly what's the point of flying the Gal-X if you're not gonna go full retard?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I decided to go full rainbow boat with the Risan Luxury Cruiser on a gimmick alt I have, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. Here's the current setup of it:

http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(Amerus@Taerkar)/ship-equipment

The torp is there mainly because I couldn't think of another beam type to mount on it. Do any of the special beams have unique visuals that would help the display?

Equipment quality is being slowly improved as well. Current target is get the rest of the vuln locators.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Maybe the TOS retrofit phasers? If nothing else, they screech nicely.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Taerkar posted:

I decided to go full rainbow boat with the Risan Luxury Cruiser on a gimmick alt I have, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. Here's the current setup of it:

http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(Amerus@Taerkar)/ship-equipment

The torp is there mainly because I couldn't think of another beam type to mount on it. Do any of the special beams have unique visuals that would help the display?

Equipment quality is being slowly improved as well. Current target is get the rest of the vuln locators.

antiproton is red, while phasers are more orangish

if you had the andorian phasers they are a nice darker blue, too.

spiral wave disruptors (if you have a galor just sitting around) are yellowish.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I used to play so long ago that I wasn't even a goon, and I had to get the STO staff to disconnect and reconnect my character to a new account because in the time I've been gone, they've changed the entire login structure of the game.

Character's name is Tobari, and @handle is @tobarimito :effort:

Quick question, I rolled as engineering, and I hit level 50 when I still played way back when, but I like flying Science vessels because it gives me the most slots for tractor beams. :science: Should I consider rolling a science character and starting over, or stick with my maxed out engineer?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Danaru posted:

I used to play so long ago that I wasn't even a goon, and I had to get the STO staff to disconnect and reconnect my character to a new account because in the time I've been gone, they've changed the entire login structure of the game.

Character's name is Tobari, and @handle is @tobarimito :effort:

Quick question, I rolled as engineering, and I hit level 50 when I still played way back when, but I like flying Science vessels because it gives me the most slots for tractor beams. :science: Should I consider rolling a science character and starting over, or stick with my maxed out engineer?

Character's career doesn't effect what ships they can fly.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Burning_Monk posted:

Character's career doesn't effect what ships they can fly.

Sure, but some ship/class combos are brutally gimped, I was wondering if this particular one is bad.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I kind of wish they'd make a 9x9 grid of class/shiptype traits. Like for example a tac trait that boosted the damage bonus from sensor scan, and a science trait that gave all ships affected by your cruiser commands a mini-feedback pulse.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Danaru posted:

Sure, but some ship/class combos are brutally gimped, I was wondering if this particular one is bad.

Engis are the weakest class and sci ships are weakest ship archtype. It really won't matter much for PVE at all though. It's totally worth having a few characters to try stuff out though. I'd recommend you keep your engi and roll a Romulan tac for your first alt.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Lagomorphic posted:

Engis are the weakest class
Are we talking PVP, or...? They were all-around best for PVE when I was last playing before this event...
:negative:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

As I understand it, and I may be completely off:

Power creep/wealth(Such as the Cruiser Commands) has meant a lot more power(especially weapon power) is available to subsystems without actually being the Engineer class, who's ship-based class abilities are 'resistance to power drain, massive power boost, massive self-heal'. Also things like Tyken's Rift and Gravity Well becoming more dangerous all-round thanks to the Voth forcing a review of those powers(Which are high-end Science Ship's stock in trade). So in a game that is often about DPS races, things like Attack Pattern Alpha and Go Down Fighting are the 'best' in terms of Captain Powers because it's raw damage buffs. The long sustain and never-die of Engineers is not bad, but less required.(Not that it's impossible to get high rankings in those things that have them, of course.)

Ground Engineers(Seemingly, to me) have always been....sketchy. The various turrets and generators that are their general stock in trade tend to die like flies(Which even the engineer-specific trait that gives them health regen doesn't help with), and then what do you have? Beams from the sky are cool, do good damage, but are also long cooldown.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 16, 2014

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Bloodly posted:

As I understand it, and I may be completely off:

Power creep/wealth(Such as the Cruiser Commands) has meant a lot more power(especially weapon power) is available to subsystems without actually being the Engineer class, who's ship-based class abilities are 'resistance to power drain, massive power boost, massive self-heal'. Also things like Tyken's Rift and Gravity Well becoming more dangerous all-round thanks to the Voth forcing a review of those powers(Which are high-end Science Ship's stock in trade). So in a game that is often about DPS races, things like Attack Pattern Alpha and Go Down Fighting are the 'best' in terms of Captain Powers because it's raw damage buffs. The long sustain and never-die of Engineers is not bad, but less required.

Ground Engineers(Seemingly, to me) have always been....sketchy. The various turrets and generators that are their general stock in trade tend to die like flies(Which even the engineer-specific trait that gives them health regen doesn't help with), and then what do you have? Beams from the sky are cool, do good damage, but are also long cooldown.

Fuse Armor, Chrono Mines, and That one giant bomb thing. With a shotgun.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Newb question- are some of these ground leveling missions sort of broken/unbalanced? I'm level 27 and space missions are fine but I did a ground mission last night (some Tal Shiar base on a desert planet) and I got my poo poo wrecked by Gorn a few times. I think I'm setup properly (mark 6 shields, armor and pulsewave/sword) but it definitely doesn't feel like it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Chortles posted:

Are we talking PVP, or...? They were all-around best for PVE when I was last playing before this event...

They were king of the hill for a good while, especially once A2B became a reality, but now that power is so easy to come by and team abilities no longer share a cooldown Tacs are back to being the go-to "best class," with rom tacs at the forefront because of the crit bonus. This only matters if you're attempting to minmax the big yellow numbers over your opponents head though, Engineers are still perfectly viable in any situation if you understand how to play the game.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Melchior posted:

antiproton is red, while phasers are more orangish

if you had the andorian phasers they are a nice darker blue, too.

spiral wave disruptors (if you have a galor just sitting around) are yellowish.

I've got AP on it with the Omni turret. Don't have a galor, but I do have access to the original enterprise and it's retro phasers. Aren't they different than the regular phasers?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Psycho Landlord posted:

They were king of the hill for a good while, especially once A2B became a reality, but now that power is so easy to come by and team abilities no longer share a cooldown Tacs are back to being the go-to "best class," with rom tacs at the forefront because of the crit bonus. This only matters if you're attempting to minmax the big yellow numbers over your opponents head though, Engineers are still perfectly viable in any situation if you understand how to play the game.
That's a relief -- I pretty much just solo or run with my boffs (i.e. Voth ground battlezone) and don't PVP.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
The Dominion Polaron Beams are a little different too, Purple and White. You can get them from one of the 2800 missions.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Dynamite Dog posted:

Newb question- are some of these ground leveling missions sort of broken/unbalanced? I'm level 27 and space missions are fine but I did a ground mission last night (some Tal Shiar base on a desert planet) and I got my poo poo wrecked by Gorn a few times. I think I'm setup properly (mark 6 shields, armor and pulsewave/sword) but it definitely doesn't feel like it.

The Nimbus area scales everyone to something like level 30 which may be what is loving it up the difficulty for you since the scaling isn't perfect.

Taerkar posted:

I've got AP on it with the Omni turret. Don't have a galor, but I do have access to the original enterprise and it's retro phasers. Aren't they different than the regular phasers?

They are blue and have the original screeching sfx.

Chortles posted:

It used to be having 125 weapon power all the time made eng.'s the kings of PVE. Now that universal access to plasmonic leech and fancy warp cores are here that's no longer an engi only perk. Now you want to dump APA and GDF on top of full power beams if you want to murder borg as fast as possible. For PVP you don't have the subnuc or the burst damage so you're the healer. All that said it doesn't really matter unless you're posting your DPS parses to shame pubbies or doing organized PVP with tryhards. You can still carry teams as an engi in a mediocre cruiser if you're reasonably well geared and not terrible.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Melchior posted:

Fuse Armor, Chrono Mines, and That one giant bomb thing. With a shotgun.

Since 90% of ground I do these days is Voth battle zone I've ended up dropping turrets/generators from all my boffs as they're just a big "ARTILLERY FALL ON ME" bullseye and boff AI will stop and bend over to set one up which means time not spent healing my shields or firing at a trex.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

Since 90% of ground I do these days is Voth battle zone I've ended up dropping turrets/generators from all my boffs as they're just a big "ARTILLERY FALL ON ME" bullseye and boff AI will stop and bend over to set one up which means time not spent healing my shields or firing at a trex.

For the capture and hold sections, if you just drop a medical and shield generator, and crouch with the dyson set the arty does effectively zero damage.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Lagomorphic posted:

unless you're posting your DPS parses to shame pubbies

Speaking of pubbies, just look at this ship.

And his boff stations.

What kind of DPS does a ship like this do in ISE?

Shameful pubbies being out-DPSed by a D'kyr.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Berke Negri posted:

Are you kidding? That's exactly why I went all turrets. I just park my guys somewhere and run around that area killing stuff and using consoles. Even if their bunker gets hit they'll have it up and running again in literal seconds and I rarely have to worry about them or revive someone. It's super low effort and gets the job done.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I also find turrets are the only way to solo the Artillery zones in the Voth Battlezone. Drop a turret patch, move to the next console, drop a patch, etc. By the time you get half way around your turrets will be lighting up the guys that spawned to take back the console.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Soviet Commubot posted:

Speaking of pubbies, just look at this ship.

Shameful pubbies being out-DPSed by a D'kyr.
I think I can out-awful your build with one I've seen in the past week.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I'm now paranoid the ship fitting I was using was god awful (though the ship itself is apparently god awful).

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Kitchner posted:

I'm now paranoid the ship fitting I was using was god awful (though the ship itself is apparently god awful).

A god awful ship can be somewhat redeemed if it's kitted out right, the same can not be said of an amazing ship kitted out poorly.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Burning_Monk posted:

I also find turrets are the only way to solo the Artillery zones in the Voth Battlezone. Drop a turret patch, move to the next console, drop a patch, etc. By the time you get half way around your turrets will be lighting up the guys that spawned to take back the console.

IIRC the generators reactivate themselves, not the Voth standing around it. They're just there so if you take too long that stuff starts powering back up to slow you down more.

Artillery is the easiest followed by capture & hold spots which are just tedious to solo as the timer goes by as fast as how many people are on it. The mobs sent at you are pretty easy to fight off. The omega generators are the real tricky ones as sometimes almost nothing shows up and other times you have five mech and a dinosaur boss showing up. The trick is to just hit the consoles the second the widget stops and hold out as long as possible to keep spec forces and medics at bay after the third console. If you can do that long enough even if you die it'll still capture the zone, it takes like a couple of minutes most if you're on the ball. The reason those points take so long to capture is people forget to flip the switches. They're the only ones I go into where soloing it is an "maybe" but the lower the battleground control is the easier it is.

God drat I spend way too much time shooting dinosaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

IIRC the generators reactivate themselves, not the Voth standing around it. They're just there so if you take too long that stuff starts powering back up to slow you down more.

It's easiest to interact with it two or three times for each generator, without fully powering down, since generators only heal from the fully-powered-off state. Then go around the last time and just hit it once.

• Locked thread