Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It looks like someone colossally hosed up some Tyrion Lannister fanart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Another Horns poster

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's like they watched the Korn Freak on a Leash video and said YES

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is that article sarcastic when it calls it gorgeous? It is, right?

Red_Museum posted:

Another Horns poster

For some reason, I look at this and just think that Legend is about ripe for a reboot. I don't even think it's a bad poster, I'm just saying that the devil design in Legend was awesome. And Tim Curry.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

For some reason, I look at this and just think that Legend is about ripe for a reboot. I don't even think it's a bad poster, I'm just saying that the devil design in Legend was awesome. And Tim Curry.

Yeah but that's literally the only good part about Legend.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

I don't remember this Aeon Flux character.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Red_Museum posted:

Another Horns poster

drat, that looks good. Took me a minute to register the trees.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

I've never seen a pair of lips so supple.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah but that's literally the only good part about Legend.

The gently caress you say? My inner 80s self wants to fight you. Legend was awesome.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BonoMan posted:

The gently caress you say? My inner 80s self wants to fight you. Legend was awesome.

To be fair that Tim Curry design/performance is so awesome it almost redeems the whole thing, but I'm sorry outside of his scenes there is nothing compelling about that movie, and I'm a big fan of darker takes on fairy tales and mythology.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Erebus posted:

More poster-related than movie-related, but Mondo has done their first video game poster.

It's not horrible, but it's not terribly distinctive, either. I wonder if that's because it's a game that's not even out yet rather than something older and more iconic, the way they do with their movie prints.

It kind of completely ignores the colour palette of the game, too. For reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqJdZQPBDF0

Turning the greatly varied characters and environments into two-tone silhouettes seems a weird way to promote the game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The colours they chose... was probably about as close as they could get to the tone of the game within the limitations of their colour-limited printing process.

Still not good.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I really like it - it's got a kind of European Comic Art style to it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Erebus posted:

More poster-related than movie-related, but Mondo has done their first video game poster.

It's not horrible, but it's not terribly distinctive, either. I wonder if that's because it's a game that's not even out yet rather than something older and more iconic, the way they do with their movie prints.

This game's marketing is so schizophrenic. It's a game about fighting ~the man~ and their evil mind-controlling soda pop and they're co-opting Mondo as an extension of that, but the game is published by Microsoft and has actual in-game ads and Microsoft product placement alongside the satirical ads of the evil megacorp.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cicadalek posted:

It kind of completely ignores the colour palette of the game, too. For reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqJdZQPBDF0

Turning the greatly varied characters and environments into two-tone silhouettes seems a weird way to promote the game.

Honestly, I don't know much about current videogames but this looks and sounds like utter garbage

e: Oh, and the poster is pretty well done but boring as all hell.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

To be fair that Tim Curry design/performance is so awesome it almost redeems the whole thing, but I'm sorry outside of his scenes there is nothing compelling about that movie, and I'm a big fan of darker takes on fairy tales and mythology.

For someone who really enjoys good production design, Legend is pretty great from start to finish. They built the forest from scratch, and there's a swamp too that's pretty creepy. But there's a lot of scenes in that forest, which is one of the better set designs I've ever seen. Its basically equal in quality to some of the forests they made for Lord of the Rings, except done like 15 years earlier.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Honestly, I don't know much about current videogames but this looks and sounds like utter garbage

e: Oh, and the poster is pretty well done but boring as all hell.

The actual game is worse, if the demos are any indication.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Not to get all console-warriory but yeah, that game is looking like pure trash with poo poo animations and a terrible main character plus horrible gameplay. It's the Xbox Ones only answer for a huge hit this year in the shadow of the PS4 having some amazing looking games and exclusives coming down the pipes.

That poster is hot garbage too and reminds me of something from 7-11.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The main character is both very stylized and a total non-character. Just seems designed by committee.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The game has character customization or something, they just chose their commercial lead poorly.

Also it doesn't help that it looks so much like a reskinned Infamous.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
That mondo poster looks pretty weak.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This game's marketing is so schizophrenic. It's a game about fighting ~the man~ and their evil mind-controlling soda pop and they're co-opting Mondo as an extension of that, but the game is published by Microsoft and has actual in-game ads and Microsoft product placement alongside the satirical ads of the evil megacorp.

Hahahahahah jesus christ no one quite does "gently caress the Man (brought to you by the Man)" like video games does, and I say that as a big proponent of the potential of video games.

Basebf555 posted:

For someone who really enjoys good production design, Legend is pretty great from start to finish. They built the forest from scratch, and there's a swamp too that's pretty creepy. But there's a lot of scenes in that forest, which is one of the better set designs I've ever seen. Its basically equal in quality to some of the forests they made for Lord of the Rings, except done like 15 years earlier.

I don't know enough about production design to dispute you, so I won't. I was more thinking in terms of being an engaging and entertaining movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Even when I was a kid myself I wanted to bitch slap that stupid little wood sprite child actor brat that was yelling at Tom Cruise for unicorn interference or whatever.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That character would've been fine if they'd used the actor's real voice. Some bigwig didn't like his German accent so they dubbed over him with the woman that played Blixx.

Also he was 19 when he made that movie!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

:psyboom:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'm totally with you on this. That poster makes me curious to see the movie and I really like it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

To be fair that Tim Curry design/performance is so awesome it almost redeems the whole thing

You can say that about every single thing Tim Curry has appeared in.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It made me go, "It looks like someone saw an indie comic and demanded that for their poster, then they half-assed it the rest of the way."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
That Boyhood poster seems to be more going for a reference to A Scanner Darkly and especially Waking Life, but giving it a less oppressive realization. I just don't see what lucidity has to do with the film.

It's just aesthetically indulgent. The golden ratio creates an interesting structure, but if this was meant to convey the 'fragments' of life spiraling towards and from an ineffable 'center,' then I can't help it could have been better visually conceived (and would have been more creatively challenging, color-wise) with snap shots of the actor without the rotoscope effect.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
This is NOT Karen Gillan's... body.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I dunno, looks close enough.

If anything, they bulked her up.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Yeah they bulked up her pecs for sure.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't even understand the pose she's in. At first it looks like she's stepping forward with her left leg, swinging her hips and shoulders in that forced, awkward sashay that screams 'runway pose.' But then if I follow down,* I see that her right shin is actually extended further than the left one, suggesting that she's walking down stairs, but for some reason her knee-caps are glued together.

This effect is made worse by the fact that the platform on which she is supposedly standing is already angled downward, so it just looks like she's planted in an abyss, doing nothing dynamic.

* Hey, it's certainly not emphasizing any part of her personality - her face is downcast obscured, the color tone is too consistent with the background, they seem to have literally only attempted to distinguish her by her curves.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not sure this is Karen Gillan's ANYTHING.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's the same pose a lot of Falcon promotional stuff was in, I think.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
My favorite part of Glenn Close being in the movie is remembering when they first started shooting and someone took a picture of one of the aliens on set and said it was her, leading every single comic news site to say it's her. Nope, she just has a cool hairdo.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 18, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's Glenn Close dude.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mind the walrus posted:

That's Glenn Close dude.

Yeah my bad, I watched The Giver trailer earlier.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
It's been a while since we've had some terrible minimalist posters, so here's a batch of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I'll never get over the fact that "minimalist" poster people put more effort into making it look like distressed paper than they do the actual design. Gotta do something to try and disguise your lovely photoshop art, I guess.