Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Aleth posted:

Turns out the xindi costume has quite the colour palette:

I always liked that Reptilian outfit, because it seemed like they were wearing around a space Faraday cage type deal as armor maybe. But then they get shot by energy weapons just fine so I guess that silly mesh was cosmetic after all.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

A lot of people are very upset over the drop in the EC value of engines, shields, and cores (or think the vendors themselves have been nerfed, which is not true). These people have not discovered contra farming.

How exactly do you maximize your contra return for running Marauding assignments? A lot of them don't seem to yield contra, or only yield contra occasionally.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I am really beginning to hate the new Doff assignment window. Some stuff is okay, but it really seems like a step back.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Woolie Wool posted:

How exactly do you maximize your contra return for running Marauding assignments? A lot of them don't seem to yield contra, or only yield contra occasionally.

Vulcans never have contraband (but make good prisoners), while Ferengi usually have the most. Always shoot for crits over mere success.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

I am really beginning to hate the new Doff assignment window. Some stuff is okay, but it really seems like a step back.
I understand some of the changes, but the real problem is it reduced as much functionality as it adds. Like, stocking the job with the 'best' doffs right off so you can quick start is good! Removing the suggestions and forcing you to sort through the whole list if you wanted to use alternate ones is not. And then there's the fact the actual interface wastes so much space... you could probably shrink the space jobs take up in the list by half just by rearranging the icons and cutting white space, without losing any readability. :shrug:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Asimo posted:

I understand some of the changes, but the real problem is it reduced as much functionality as it adds. Like, stocking the job with the 'best' doffs right off so you can quick start is good! Removing the suggestions and forcing you to sort through the whole list if you wanted to use alternate ones is not. And then there's the fact the actual interface wastes so much space... you could probably shrink the space jobs take up in the list by half just by rearranging the icons and cutting white space, without losing any readability. :shrug:

I just found this...

So it looks like they are aware of some of the problems, but still, you are right it takes so long to set stuff up if you don't want to use "best doffs". The bar chart is confusing, the pie chart makes more sense when dealing with something that totals a whole. And the flavor text is basically hidden unless you go looking for it. Small issue, but I liked seeing at a glance why my guys hosed up delivering a barrel of fresh Gak. Also, pop up windows are so 1990's.

I like having the Bridge Officer doff missions on the same side bar, that's nice I guess.

Argentic
Apr 21, 2007

How does Tetryon Glider compare to the 2-piece bonus from the Nukara set? Most of the recommended ships on the wiki use the Omega Force deflector and engines, but the stats on the Omega Force deflector seem pretty useless except for the accuracy bonus. Using the Nukara deflector and engines would give me a pretty big bonus to shield HP and shield heals, plus a 2.5% bonus to weapon damage.

I have 84 points in Flow Capacitors, so presumably Tetryon Glider would be pretty good, but would it be more than a 2.5% boost?

AotC
May 16, 2010

Burning_Monk posted:

So it looks like they are aware of some of the problems...

Yeah, the single ui developer cryptic has (yes, a single dev and a half season that is all ui updates...) knows about a bunch of problems will be fixing them as well as polishing the ui changes over the rest of the month.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

They probably don't have a crazy amount of use for a whole ui Dev team for their almost five year old game, but yeah a major release that is mostly ui changes...

Then again 9.5 kind of feels like an also ran and everyone is really working on expansion 2.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, it's been pretty unsubtly stated by Cryptic staff that the release was rushed by a week or two due to... who even knows but probably PWE loving around, and due to this they hadn't had time to finish and prepare everything. It's why there was that sudden dump of lockbox information all at once after the patch rather than spacing it out the week before it launched, for example.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

AotC posted:

Yeah, the single ui developer cryptic has (yes, a single dev and a half season that is all ui updates...) knows about a bunch of problems will be fixing them as well as polishing the ui changes over the rest of the month.

Jeebus, well my heart goes out to that guy.:glomp:

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
The STO uniform designer Thomas “TheCrypticCat” Marrone put this more complete 2410 Odyssey uniform guide together and released it from his twitter account. He posted some concept designs for ground combat uniforms too.

Intro:

Officer:

Officer Variants & Flag Officer:

Enlisted:

Cadet:

Expeditionary Force Concepts:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Only captain and above rates real body armor, huh?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

Vulcans never have contraband (but make good prisoners), while Ferengi usually have the most. Always shoot for crits over mere success.

So I need to go buy some drat expensive purple Projectile Weapons Officers, eh. :(

How many Marauding Alts do you have?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MikeJF posted:

So I need to go buy some drat expensive purple Projectile Weapons Officers, eh. :(

I am a lightweight, I just have three Marauders. And I keep and use all my contraband, so it's not really for profit.

Some blue and purple projectile and energy weapons officers, various operations officers, and assault squads. That covers it pretty well. Aggressive and Resilient are the key traits, so good old-fashioned Klingons work well.

E: I base my marauders at DS9, and just do a circuit of those three sectors every 4-6 hours. When I can't get a full list of marauding assignments, I fill it out with military and engineering, they're easy to get to 100k so they're free marks via commendation reports.

It's also worth doing the four consular authority doff chains in those sectors, since the repeatable exchange assignments will occasionally give you a valuable doff.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 19, 2014

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

wdarkk posted:

Only captain and above rates real body armor, huh?

Why is the equivalent of a colonel going anywhere where he needs armor anyway?

Oh, right, Star Trek.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Opened a xindi box with a single key I found on an alt for no reason other than to waste money. Out dropped a Xindi Dread.

Edit: Not really sure what I want to do with it.

Major Spag fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 19, 2014

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Sell it and buy another lock box ship with the money if you don't want it.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
It does get my that Galor AND JHDC I've always wanted.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Major Spag posted:

It does get my that Galor AND JHDC I've always wanted.

I hate you.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

I hate you.

:vince:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

Sell it and buy another lock box ship with the money if you don't want it.
Haha. Yeah, at this point it's better to just sell the thing. Even if you really want it, you can put one up, sell it now, and buy one a few weeks later and pocket the 50+m difference.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

Haha. Yeah, at this point it's better to just sell the thing. Even if you really want it, you can put one up, sell it now, and buy one a few weeks later and pocket the 50+m difference.

Way more than that, a bunch were bought up after the console thing became known. Now is a great time to sell if you haven't already.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Console thing?

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

Tunicate posted:

Console thing?

The consoles from both Xindi ships are BoE and infinitely reclaimable.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Goddamn this new interface. I accidentially sent one of my purple doffs to an officer exchange and didn't notice till it was done :argh:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Did someone say that you can only equip one of the new crafting omni-directional beam arrays?

Does anyone know if you can equip the crafting 360 degree antiproton alongside the Obelisk 360 degree antiproton?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 19, 2014

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The items say you can only equip one omni-directional beam at a time, though I haven't tested it personally.

I assume the quest reward one also counts as one of these since Cryptic hates fun, but see prior statement.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

The items say you can only equip one omni-directional beam at a time, though I haven't tested it personally.

I assume the quest reward one also counts as one of these since Cryptic hates fun, but see prior statement.

drat. Here's hoping it doesn't count so I can achive my distant dream of a sci ship with Antiproton DBBs in front and two Omni Antiprotons and a Kinetic Cutter in the back. :allears:

I know one of you spergs has spent five hundred dollars worth of dil to hit Crafting max already, go test it out for me, willya?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Speaking of crafting, which schools do you reckon would be most worth getting up first?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Xindi carrier looks pretty kickass on paper. Lt commander tac and turn rate of 9 and 4 tac consoles AND launches frigates? That's pretty nice.

How good are it's special pets?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Kinda totally mediocre. Decent like most Frigates and they have a good assortment of damaging stuff, but they lack the utility abilities that make stuff like Mesh Weavers or Drone Ships stand out. Also the advanced/elite versions aren't actually in game yet (did I mention this patch seemed horribly rushed?), but that'll presumably be fixed shortly.

Cryptic posted:

Rare (Blue) Quality
Xindi-Aquatic Mobulai Frigates

2x Phased Biomatter Beam Arrays (1 fore, 1 aft)
Phased Biomatter Dual Beam Bank (fore)
Quantum Torpedo Launcher (fore)
Quantum Mine Launcher (aft)
Mine Dispersal Pattern Alpha I
Cascade Resonance Burst I (this ability mimics the functionality of the Carrier's console, but does not chain off multiple targets)

Very Rare (Purple) Quality
Advanced Xindi-Aquatic Mobulai Frigates

Mine Dispersal Pattern Alpha II
Cascade Resonance Burst II (same as Rank I, but deals more damage)

Ultra-Rare (Fleet) Quality
Elite Xindi-Aquatic Mobulai Frigate

Mine Dispersal Pattern Alpha III
Cascade Resonance Burst III (same as Rank II, but also increases the resistance debuff potency)

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Is the Xindi BOFF worth it?

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Aleth posted:

Xindi boff clothing with the xindi officer/robes wire cage thing.

actually he is right, in both Game Sense and the TV series.

The Xindi Reptilian outfit in Enterprise was a redress of the Reman outfit from Nemesis.

Cryptic did the same thing for the in game version.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

MikeJF posted:

If you go to your bridge and check out your Marauding contact guy, he'll frequently open up the "raid industrial center/space ship foundry/research center/mining colony" missions. These missions are generic in that they don't have a specific species picked out, "Federation mining facility" or even just plain "research facility." These have much broader doff success requirements (3 guys from any tactical or security specialization rather than 1 weapon system officer/ 1 tractor beam or transporter guy) and I've found they give pretty solid contra most if not all of the time.

They don't seem to give out prisoners, though (that would be restricted to the species-specific raids/pirating missions) but hey contra without overfilling your brig.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Wait, with the new doff UI you cant sort by jobs or traits or anything? Am I missing something? I go to assign a dude and all i get is a little unsortable pop up box with a list of all my dudes.

Ah hahahahah if you have duplicates it doesn't notate which in the list have been placed already so trying to assign a bunch of Maela to support colony missions you just end up assigning the same one over and over cause they all look the same and it just moves him from slot to slot and wow gently caress this game. Lets fix what wasn't loving broken and break it in the process

Burning_Monk posted:

I just found this...

How did you get those sorting options I am just not seeing it.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 19, 2014

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I was looking at the recent patch notes and it seems like this might be pretty nice with TBR and grav well in PVE.

quote:

Trait: Particle Manipulator
Your Exotic Damage abilities gain up to a 25% critical chance, based on your skill in Particle Generators.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Cyberball 2072 posted:

How did you get those sorting options I am just not seeing it.

Upcoming patch.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

almost1337 posted:

The consoles from both Xindi ships are BoE and infinitely reclaimable.

Please elaborate on this. Can they be marketed? Or sold to a vendor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

My guess is it costs (a lot of) dilithium to reclaim them if you sell or discard the original console, and all dil store items are bound.

• Locked thread