Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

the most important thing about watching your local league is to not have to leave your house or go outside for any reason

this has been my sincere(ly bad) post in the bad posts thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Seltzer posted:

"You dudes". I've watched 3 MLS games this year. I guess that's how much of an MLS fan I am cause I thought it was accessible. NYRB games seem to always be on as well as bigger games like Seattle Portland.

It can be really awful sometimes. DC United games for example where on a random rear end Comcast Sports channel that regularly showed Girls High School Volleyball and the like. It was not good. If you also pay money for their streaming option MLS Live You still don't get to see some games, because the individual teams and their "broadcast partners" set blackouts. So there where times when I, a person who payed MLS 50 dollars to watch MLS games, couldn't despite paying for that specific purpose.

Its a mess and really bad, especially compared to say, EPL on NBC.

Azerban posted:

the most important thing about watching your local league is to not have to leave your house or go outside for any reason

lol, you will literally defend any criticism of your league no matter how valid won't you?

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 19, 2014

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
No more Jozy thread but this feels important and bad

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Cox in OKC listed a Revolution vs someone match the other day on one of the Public Access channels, but they were showing old Billy Mays type ads instead. I was a bit upset, until I realized that Billy Mays trust probably paid more for the timeslot rights than MLS owners were willing to pay to show their team in OKC.

That's my post about the last time I tried to watch MLS in Oklahoma City.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

TheBigAristotle posted:

No more Jozy thread but this feels important and bad

Oh good, it's Jozy Altidore Day. Now I have an excuse for doing nothing but sitting around eating junk.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Ciprian Maricon posted:

lol, you will literally defend any criticism of your league no matter how valid won't you?

nah, I hate the league much more than you do, it's just you have dumb and simple reasons for doing so

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Pointing out that MLS has poor TV and Stream offerings isn't dumb or simple and I'm hardly alone.

guppy posted:

So I have MLS Live and there's a DirectKick preview anyway and it didn't matter, but no local station carried DC's match last night, and despite the home game the feed was from Columbus. Does this mean DCU hosed up the TV deal, again?

Great Lakes Log posted:

You'll be blacked out, and there are no feed options on MLS Live. You only ever get the home broadcast team, except for some teams (like DC at the moment) who don't have a broadcast deal and just show an away broadcast.

Hoover Dam posted:

Sadly, I missed the first half of the game, because MLS Live was having a lot of problems with the SJ-NE stream last night. As such, I missed the Revs' first goal of the season, scored by last year's DCU standout Owen Goal.

siggy2021 posted:

Can someone explain to me why the Columbus Crew game is blacked out on MLS live? Did they suddenly change their blackout rules?

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I have faster internet and better computers than 99.9% of the country and yet I still get stutters on MLS live sometimes. Incredibly stupid. This year seems a bit worse than last year.

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

It is incredibly hard to find MLS games on TV where I live. I fear the MLS experiment may end before it even started. :/

Like pretty much any negative thing I've ever said about MLS, its nothing others haven't said before and you only care because someone outside your little hug box thread dared speak ill of MLS.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 20, 2014

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Brony Car posted:

The Germany World Cup players are a joke

So when the referee ended the game, many wives of the german players entered the field to congratulate them. And I just realized that probably NONE of the players would have those girls if they weren't a top-tier soccer player. It's a joke, the women are with them only for their wealth and status.

I love this one

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Brony Car posted:

The Germany World Cup players are a joke

So when the referee ended the game, many wives of the german players entered the field to congratulate them. And I just realized that probably NONE of the players would have those girls if they weren't a top-tier soccer player. It's a joke, the women are with them only for their wealth and status.

I think all the German team are handsome and cool

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

TelekineticBear! posted:

I think all the German team are handsome and cool

LMS theory is legit

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

I don't know if this is a very good troll or a very bad expression of genuine enthusiasm.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
My 9-year-old daughter and I were lucky enough to get tickets to the Sounders-Timbers game at CenturyLink Field. Our tickets were beside the Portland Army, which beat a drum without end. The vitriol and immaturity, lack of respect, language, police presence, abuse and ceaseless noise made our experience a long, expensive nightmare. They sang song after song. It was a drunken kindergarten. One song included the repeated chorus: “I hate Seattle!” Another song’s verse included: (bleep) Seattle!” and “(bleep) you!”

Several kids around us were flipping off the Portland fans, and the naked anger was overwhelming. Ultimately we had to leave our seats. The rabble seems fueled by a history of I-5 visits from both fan groups. I’m sure Sounders bozos have embarrassed my town and me as much as the Timbers’ circus.

The real fans, who like watching soccer, should step up and put pressure on the Sounders and Timbers organizations to take a role in civilizing fan behavior. It is an incendiary environment, and it will blow up despite beefed-up police presence and vigilant security. We need to do this not only for our spectator experience but to prevent a violent incident.

— Timothy Scollard, Edmonds

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

ephex posted:

My 9-year-old daughter and I were lucky enough to get tickets to the Sounders-Timbers game at CenturyLink Field. Our tickets were beside the Portland Army, which beat a drum without end. The vitriol and immaturity, lack of respect, language, police presence, abuse and ceaseless noise made our experience a long, expensive nightmare. They sang song after song. It was a drunken kindergarten. One song included the repeated chorus: “I hate Seattle!” Another song’s verse included: (bleep) Seattle!” and “(bleep) you!”

Several kids around us were flipping off the Portland fans, and the naked anger was overwhelming. Ultimately we had to leave our seats. The rabble seems fueled by a history of I-5 visits from both fan groups. I’m sure Sounders bozos have embarrassed my town and me as much as the Timbers’ circus.

The real fans, who like watching soccer, should step up and put pressure on the Sounders and Timbers organizations to take a role in civilizing fan behavior. It is an incendiary environment, and it will blow up despite beefed-up police presence and vigilant security. We need to do this not only for our spectator experience but to prevent a violent incident.

lmao good find m8

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Send that man to a Lazio Roma game post haste

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
I saw the MLS culture infecting the England Fans at the world cup - "We're here, we're queer, we're gonna bite off yer ear!!"

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ephex posted:

:allears:

Send him to boca - river plate

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
The best part is that if that dad challenged a typical portland fan to a fight about the portland fan would immediately pee [possessive pronoun] pants and not in an empowering type of way either.

This is according to my buddy stateside who keeps me up on all this kind of stuff

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

The best part is that if that dad challenged a typical portland fan to a fight about the portland fan would immediately pee [possessive pronoun] pants and not in an empowering type of way either.

This is according to my buddy stateside who keeps me up on all this kind of stuff

Pants? More like unisex kilt

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

African AIDS cum posted:

Pants? More like unisex kilt

I was gonna say "[bottom covering]" but I didn't want to offend any tops or even really imply there's a binary.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

These are some advanced stats:

quote:

"To get a feel for the data let’s have a look at the players in the Premier League that had more than 20 kicked shots (with an assisting pass) as an attacker last season, sorted by median Pre-Shot Dribble Distance:
[...]
At a first glance, the general shape of the table seems to make a lot of sense to me. At the top of the pile we have the strikers that could be termed as being “mobile” or pacy, ie Shola Ameobi, Remy, Altidore, Rooney and Sturridge"

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Is "Pre-Shot Dribble Distance" an official Pele sponsored stat?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its amazing how quickly it becomes clear they've never watched a game of football ever

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I MUST have a source for that

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Jose posted:

Its amazing how quickly it becomes clear they've never watched a game of football ever

I think that's the idea behind advanced stats crew, not having to watch a single game but being able to talk sports like if they were jocks because they have the numbers.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I don't believe there are any stats that could result in Shola being a pacy/mobile attacker

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Jozy's Pre-Lunch Dribble Distance is off the charts.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

It's from http://www.statsbomb.com/2014/07/what-type-of-striker-do-you-want-pre-shot-dribble-distance-metric-can-help/

I actually like "advanced stats" and this stuff is generally not bad, but...

I think Jozy doesn't dribble as much as dawdle. Those 4 meters are just the space he needs after his first touch.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
If you can't see the difference between dribbling and falling down after a horrible first touch, I don't think you should write about football.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Messyass posted:

Holy poo poo. This is amazing.

Being mobile obviously must mean being black (or Rooney) because I don't see how else Jozy makes that list.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Messyass posted:

It's from http://www.statsbomb.com/2014/07/what-type-of-striker-do-you-want-pre-shot-dribble-distance-metric-can-help/

I actually like "advanced stats" and this stuff is generally not bad, but...

I think Jozy doesn't dribble as much as dawdle. Those 4 meters are just the space he needs after his first touch.

He wrote that whole article as a result of this comment:

quote:

If you fully wanted to investigate the value-for-money on this deal, I think you also need to look at how often does he actually work himself into positions that are good scoring positions

Without even considering the fact that "working yourself into positions" more often than not means off the ball rather than on it, for strikers.

Who are these people. Jesus.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
That StatsBomb guy was on Twitter the other day suggesting that Marco Motta would be one of the best RB pickups for any club in Europe, based on 2010-11 cross attempts per 90 or something along those lines.

StatsBomb guy rules

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

calling that cringeworthy Arsenal vid "instant awesome" makes me so butthurt

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Good thing they'll have a few more days to practise! :classiclol:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Gravity Daemon, please rename me to "hear the accents"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Messyass posted:

When I think of mobile, pacy strikers the first two names on my lips are Jozy Altidore and Shola Ameobi. Thanks, advanced stats!

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
More fieldtime for Big Jozy and Big Shola would have improved the WC 100% imo. The stats they do not lie.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

vyelkin posted:

When I think of mobile, pacy strikers the first two names on my lips are Jozy Altidore and Shola Ameobi. Thanks, advanced stats!

They're both athletic as heck

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Problem: Soccer games end 0-0 way too much not because of good defense but because of the offside trap. Imagine offsides in a game like Basketball "oh no the team was too lazy to defend therefore that sick nasty slam dunk doesn't count"
Solution: get rid of offsides

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

quote:

So, as USA fans watch the yanks’ matches and root for our team against some of the world’s best as the World Cup draws to a close in the next few weeks, here are some simple requests that I have for you so that you’ll be more respected internationally (because we’re all trying to be global citizens, right??):

Be loud but don’t be obnoxious. If you’re going to curse, that’s awesome but sound like you know what you’re talking about. For example, don’t just say “come on, shoot it”. Say “have it” or “leave it for the mid” or “have a crack”.

Attend an MLS game. Most big cities have MLS teams and the tickets are usually cheap. Additionally, there are a lot of bars in those cities that run transportation and drink specials so it’ll be a guaranteed fantastic time even if your MLS team stinks.

Wear some soccer gear. With the US team getting out of the group of death, you need to invest in some USA soccer apparel– that means buy a t-shirt or a scarf if you can’t afford a jersey. Also, make sure you’ve got that new soccer swag on wherever you go to watch the squad play. Heck, even if you have random Holland jersey from the 1970s or Italy shorts from the early 1990s, just throw those on so you’ll be repping something/someone.

Don’t ever call someone a “grass fairy”, say soccer is “boring”, rip on the occasional dive, or utter that there aren’t enough tackles”. Just don’t do it – ever.

3 lions, el tri, la roja, oranje, the black stars, les blues, la celeste, la albiceleste, the samba boys, etc. Start to know where some of the world’s best players are from and the nicknames for the national teams of different countries. If the USA is playing against them, it’s helpful to know a few players and where the heck the country is located. Plus, it’ll make it a better experience for you.

Also
http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/14/world-cup-soccer-hockey-opinions-columnists-richard-epstein.html

Ewar Woowar fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

The old Manchester City when they didn't have these resources backing them? Manchester United would whoop City's candy culo and bro your still in our shadows, laugh now but when the Sheikh says it's over we'll be laughing and we I mean the Football World..