Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The US government looked into towing icebergs to Africa in the 90s and back then they estimated it'd cost hundreds of millions to successfully pull off, even though it could be done fairly easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Towing bergs for water supply or even the idea of cooling parts of the planet has been floating around for centuries.

Nowadays I'm sure most crackpot plans rely on the facts that most oil drilling rigs have the ability to haul bergs that are 4m tons and apply that to a long haul voyage.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Just remembered about an old pre-kickstarter crowd funding project from years ago, 'The Big Box Project'

Back when the 360 was deep in the RROD phase, MS would require customers to send them their broken consoles in a box at their own cost, which they would then ship back (later they would send you a box to pack the console in)

Some guy got so pissed at the idea of having to find a box, he started this project, the idea being that he would ship his broken 360 to microsoft in a giant shipping container, which they would have to ship back

The website is long dead, but looking at Internet archive, he got over $1000 in donations. When Microsoft changed their policies regarding shipping, the guy claimed victory, mused about what to do with the cash, and it looks like he was never heard from again.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070629011610/http://www.test.thebigboxproject.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

10/10 good scam

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

That Ritot bullshit now has over $432,000 courtesy of some very dumb people and it's still got 30 days to go. STOP GIVING THEM MONEY. A few have caught on and are asking for refunds in the comments, and there's a guy just asking question after question who has been accused of spamming by the scammers.

http://www.connectedly.com/ritot-smartwatch-indiegogo-campaign-raises-red-flags

This is one of the few critical articles I've seen about it.

quote:

Daytime usage - The pico projector by Explay only produced 14 lumens. A quick search online reveals that it takes a few thousand lumens to clearly see a projection outdoors. Generating this amount of brightness also brings up the obvious question of battery life.

Projection angles - Even if they got a projector inside the wearable, the angle of projection as depicted in their mockups, doesn't seem right. The watch has its projector no more than a centimetre above the wrist. It seems a projection at this angle would make the numbers look distorted and nowhere near as clean as the Photoshop mockups.

This is a problem with Ritot. I can't seem to find anything about the team online. As far as I can tell, none of them are on LinkedIn and the founder seems to have only appeared on the Internet after the Ritot crowd funding campaign. The two team members who have created Indiegogo accounts, haven't even connected to any social networks to verify they are in fact real.

The last one alone should raise huge red flags. Some guys just come out of nowhere with an incredibly unlikely piece of technology? Well sure I'll give them my life savings.

Also their office address is a virtual office.

it dont matter has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Jul 22, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The rise of crowd funding has an ushered in a golden age of unprecedented prosperity for scammers and snake oil salesmen.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

That Ritot bullshit now has over $432,000 courtesy of some very dumb people and it's still got 30 days to go. STOP GIVING THEM MONEY. A few have caught on and are asking for refunds in the comments, and there's a guy just asking question after question who has been accused of spamming by the scammers.

The last one alone should raise huge red flags. Some guys just come out of nowhere with an incredibly unlikely piece of technology? Well sure I'll give them my life savings.

The nearly impossible technology, the page of bad photoshops and the lack of any technical information, The untraceable designers and especially the fact that the only reward to be shipped are the watches themselves? This is definitely a scam.

I am a bit surprised they are so untraceable though because I assumed the lack of rewards was so they would only be on the line for the product, and they could just throw their corporation under the bus after a year of 'development' or whatever and run off free. (Like most dumb wrist thing kickstarters) It sounds like this is just an old fashion take the money and run scam though.

I went looking for more foolishness on kickstarter, but accidentally found something I want to back. :/

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Excels posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/488665254/letters-to-everybody

I made a low-effort Kickstarter project to see if I'd get any bites. I thought 50 was a pretty easy goal, only one guy donated so far

I even made sure to mention potato salad, although I guess you gotta say it in the KS blurb itself instead of your bio.

I'm unreasonably upset that your low-effort, money-grab Kickstarter is doing better than MY low-effort, money-grab Kickstarter.

But at least I'll save myself the dignity and not post a link to it. :colbert:

Edit: whoa, a $10 backer appeared out of nowhere. Project funded. Cause I set my goal at $10. :smugdog:

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Jul 23, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Seeing people throw hundreds of thousands of dollars at smoke and mirrors makes it a tempting thing to engage in as well. I mean drat, if you could get away with it cleanly there's got to be very few people who wouldn't be willing to put in a little work to collect a windfall that buys you a car and house (or two), pays off all your debit, and leaves you with a nice cushion of cash afterwards.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
What's stopping the owner of that watch scam from putting up 20k of their own money to get the ball rolling for that very same reason, that if people see other people donating then it must be something worth backing.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Autechresaint posted:

What's stopping the owner of that watch scam from putting up 20k of their own money to get the ball rolling for that very same reason, that if people see other people donating then it must be something worth backing.

This is done all the time. Especially on kickstarter where they need to get to a magic number to collect anything.

hohum
Mar 17, 2010

umoms.

MrAptronym posted:

This is done all the time. Especially on kickstarter where they need to get to a magic number to collect anything.

But then they're paying tax on their own cash. It seems like there are easier ways to scam people.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Autechresaint posted:

The fact that they'd lose somewhere around 9% of that 20k all told.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Nintendo Kid posted:

The fact that they'd lose somewhere around 9% of that 20k all told.

They could always pull it before the kickstarter ends.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nyarai posted:

They could always pull it before the kickstarter ends.

If there's truly no interest, then they'd be under their goals.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

If there's truly no interest, then they'd be under their goals.

This is mostly conjecture, but a few scam starters have been seen with a few unusually large donations at the start. Other times we have seen a large donation right at the end that brings the starter to exactly the goal. (That could be legit interest though) The idea is usually to gather interest and then slowly back out and hope you make overage.

Also most scams aren't at the "Needing 20k fuel" level, most have modest goals. Even if you do take the 9% out of your personal investment, you come out ahead as long as other people put in their cash. So if your goal was $50,000 and you put in 20,000 you only lose 1,800 of your cash if you get 30,000 in other people's. You could also technically put the money down on a card that can't pay it and let the charge bounce, or better yet use a stolen card to seed the money since you are a horrible thief anyway.

I guess none of these are the most efficient scams, but since almost no one has been punished in kickstarter scams so far, I can see why it would be attractive to those of dubious moral fiber. It is hard to get people to start giving to a $0 project too, and not all these people are the greatest at PR. Plus, you can be a total shut in and a conman! Livin' the dream!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Morglon posted:

Or dig some wells or do anything else that gets water there that's less retarded. The only thin I can imagine that would be dumber would be along the lines of "let's go to outer space to get a comet with water and drop it on Africa."

It would probably be cheaper to capture a comet or iceteroid and drop it on Africa than it's to haul an iceberg to Africa.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

hohum posted:

But then they're paying tax on their own cash. It seems like there are easier ways to scam people.

If it fails, they're out a grand total of nothing. If it succeeds, they can drop their own pledges enough to still keep it above the funding level.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Young Freud posted:

It would probably be cheaper to capture a comet or iceteroid and drop it on Africa than it's to haul an iceberg to Africa.

No, it's been studied and it'd only cost a few hundred million for towing an iceberg down. A space mission would easily run to the billions.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I, have no idea what this is. But it's pretty funny at the very least.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I an obvious joke by someone trying too hard to funny and failing completely. At least this particular band wagon attempt on "wacky" potato salad style lol-bucks involved something besides food.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Young Freud posted:

I'd sure be cooler to watch... well unless you are one of the billion or so people in Africa. No, then I suspect things will be very hot.

Chomp8645 posted:

I an obvious joke by someone trying too hard to funny and failing completely. At least this particular band wagon attempt on "wacky" potato salad style lol-bucks involved something besides food.

Wacky humor wears thin surprisingly fast when you're busking with it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Maksym Pashanin of Confederate Express and Knuckle Club fame/infamy is apparently a squatter. Not a cyber-squatter but a literal squatter.

Squatter in Palm Springs also accused of duping online gamers

Airbnb Host: A Guest Is Squatting In My Condo And I Can't Get Him To Leave

Maksym, in response to notice of impending cessation of utilities posted:

Hi Cory, this is Maksym. I have consulted my attorney. As I have said multiple times already, I am LEGALLY occupying the domicile (E104). My nature of work from home is dependent on having electricity, and my income while working averages $1000-$7000 per day, involving over 2000 customers in the U.S. alone. IF THE ELECTRICITY GETS CUT OFF I WILL BE LOSING MONEY EVERY DAY. I am pressing charges for blackmail and damages caused by your negligence and malicious misconduct, including $3800 PID Espresso machine as well as medical bills for my brother's hospital visit after he got sick here drinking unfiltered tap water (Ulcer). Not only what you do is illegal, it is also extremely discriminatory in nature and has caused me and my brother a lot of stress in suffering.

-Maksym

Edit: fixed typos

Mirificus has a new favorite as of 06:46 on Jul 23, 2014

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

Oh, those weren't scare quotes, I was just using them because they aren't commonly used terms outside of those circles.

congrats on being in to puppyplay

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

theironjef posted:

In my limited leather/shibari beginner experience it is the worst fetish in the world, because it basically empowers lolrandom people to charge around busy workshops or events being clumsy assholes because they are "puppies" that "don't know better." Then again I might just know more than the average number of irritating bratty subs, and they'd be doing that poo poo anyway under some other guise.

lmao i loving love you retarded idiots

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
speaking of scams..Areal's kickstarter earned ~65k (somehow, it was at 35k for weeks), but was was suspended 14 hours ago.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1577656602/areal

holy crap update 25..they link pictures of all the people they call 'trolls' for calling them out. like personal information and such. Wtf? I've never seen someone stoop that low..

Edit: and apparently they were trying to get people to think that Putin himself emailed them about the game?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1577656602/areal/posts/919596

Autechresaint has a new favorite as of 07:39 on Jul 23, 2014

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Autechresaint posted:

speaking of scams..Areal's kickstarter earned ~65k (somehow, it was at 35k for weeks), but was was suspended 14 hours ago.

holy crap update 25..they link pictures of all the people they call 'trolls' for calling them out. like personal information and such. Wtf? I've never seen someone stoop that low..

LOL and then update 26. "Hey Forbes sorry we threw a tantrum a toddler would call embarrassing and outright accused you of slander and stated that you had become a cheap Chinese knockoff of yourself. No hard feelings."

quote:

They are now claiming that our success on Kickstarter is fabricated, whilst conveniently failing to mention that people are using multiple accounts to make a bunch of 1 dollar pledges, and every time a new backer comes along, they remove 1 or 2 pledges, so that it looks like our sum is increasing without any new backers.

The gently caress? If this is even true, that is the most ridiculously convoluted trolling I've ever seen. :psyduck:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

hohum posted:

So long as it's not flexible funding you could pledge a bunch of your own money to get the ball rolling then pull the pledge later, if you're over the minimum funding without that initial seed you'll get paid and not spend a dime.

Mirificus posted:

Maksym Pashanin of Confederate Express and Knuckle Club fame/infamy is apparently a squatter. Not a cyber-squatter but a literal squatter.

Shame, that game looked alright, and someone has put some work into it already. Seems appropriate that a zombie game would be made by a crazed squatter.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Robo Reagan posted:

congrats on being in to puppypiggyplay

Fixed.

Autechresaint posted:

Edit: and apparently they were trying to get people to think that Putin himself emailed them about the game?

This is really blatant. What's the point of continuing past this part? Do they think they will get unsuspended? Know when to fold'em, scam artists.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Finally something work Kickstarting

I present

The Forever Bible: A Bible that Literally Walks on Water.

An indestructible bible!

quote:

The Bible is an incredible message of hope, love, and the eternal strength that lives within every one of us. Because of how powerful its message is, the Bible is the most popular book of all time. With well over 6 billion copies on the planet, millions of people are falling more deeply in love with the Bible every second. And this project is bringing you the Bible, in a whole new way.

quote:

For centuries, publishers have printed the Bible with impeccable detail, using the highest quality papers and leather. We are continuing that tradition by printing the Bible with the very best materials that exist today. Using Space Age nanotechnology, we are able to print the Bible on an advanced paper that doesn’t use any trees, is 24X stronger than regular paper, and is completely waterproof, dirt-proof, tear-proof, and otherwise life-proof. The Forever Bible even floats in water, while keeping your notes and highlighted passages pristine.

The goal is 30,000

Currently it is at 8,271

quote:

Pledge $10,000 or more

THE FOREVER MISSIONS TRIP -- Ever wanted to visit a missions site? Spend a week with the Forever Publishing crew at a missions site in Africa, where we will help restore housing, serve food, read to children, take excursions, and work within the community. Be the one to hand out our donated Forever Bibles to the families there! (This pledge includes airfare, meals, lodging, and all other expenses aside from general spending money. You will be able to select the departure date as well; we will set up the trip around your personal availability.) Make a difference in a child's life, forever.[/b]

Mr Ice Cream Glove has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Jul 23, 2014

GewuerzKahn
Jan 7, 2014

My opposable nipples are hurting me.
Pastor Robb could work in a home shopping channel.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Getting a new bible would cost so much less.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The goal is 30,000

Currently it is at 8,271

Airfare to ~Africa~, along with accomodations and food, are going to eat up a fair chunk of that 10k. Like at least 20%.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009

At least I get the idea with this one and can see some use for an ultra-durable book that people take everywhere. 40 bucks seems like a bit much to even get a copy though. It's not even fireproof.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The main problem is that bibles are typically made with really thin paper to keep the size and weight reasonable. How thin can poly paper get? It seems like you'd end up with a bible that's like six inches thick.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Germstore posted:

The main problem is that bibles are typically made with really thin paper to keep the size and weight reasonable. How thin can poly paper get? It seems like you'd end up with a bible that's like six inches thick.

Poly gets pretty thin, I had a friend who used some with watercolors and it was surprisingly thin, but not bible/dictionary thin. No, this will be a bit of a tome. Its not really indestructible though, it gets punctured, dinged, bent, inked, burned and whatever else. Mostly just waterproof and harder to tear. (Which I admit is super nice.)

If you need to take a bible with you rock climbing and don't mind the extra space, yeah, I can see missionaries using this. It fills a niche I suppose. My issue is that it seems pretty sacrilegious to pour chocolate syrup all over your holy book, even if it won't stain.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

MrAptronym posted:

My issue is that it seems pretty sacrilegious to pour chocolate syrup all over your holy book, even if it won't stain.

Sacrilegious, or sacrilicious? :v:

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Forget about the bible, I want to hear more about the space age nanotechnology they're using.

Also some of the rewards include a space pen in case you need to write in your nanotech bible while scuba diving or going for a space walk.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
From projects around my area.

quote:

Receive a photo of me making AMAZING BACON WRAPPED GREEN BEANS, a "thank you" posted to our website and I will say your name out loud.

Amazing.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Why are they floating in oil? I made the same before and they are not supposed to be fried. That actually looks disgusting. Also GEEZ PEOPLE LEARN TO USE CAPS LOCK WHEN NECESSARY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Autechresaint posted:

West Games has posted an official statement regarding the suspension of their Areal Kickstarter campaign to Areal's Facebook page. They've resorted to asking for donations directly.

West Games posted:

We are restarting funding directly via our website, so please check it out and support us there: http://areal.west-games.com/

Official Statement:

Our Kickstarter was suspended without any warning. As per Kickstarter's policy, we cannot contact them to find out why. Areal is the spiritual successor to STALKER, in terms of our vision for it and in terms of the team that we have (which includes Alexey Sytyanov, the lead game designer and screenwriter for STALKER). You can find out more about us and our team on our website: http://areal.west-games.com/
From the very beginning, we showed what we have accomplished, and showed the atmosphere for what we want to accomplish (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTMtpViPhhc&list=UU7j5-kx3Mk4rtG6q_SfsOYQ).

The fact is that there are a lot of companies that make their livelihood on STALKER, so when we showed up on the scene, they saw us as a threat and did everything that they could to stop us.

People also need to take into account that Ukrainians and Russians are in an information war right now, and as a Ukrainian developer, we were subject to constant hostility from Russian Kickstarter accounts (we even got death threats). There are over 16,000 comments on our Kickstarter, which is unprecedented for the amount of supporters that we have, and a lot of our comments are hate filled. Some sites, in light of this, chose to report based on sources from direct competitors or from the myriad of comments based on lies. Others chose a neutral ground, because of the confusing situation around us, and still others wrote positively about us. All in all, more than a 1,000 news results come up when you type in "Areal Kickstarter" on Google.

After vice news wrote an article about us, people started contributing every minute, but Kickstarter was afraid of the controversy surrounding our project, so they suspended funding. We set our base goal at 50K; even with 2 days left, we raised more than 64 thousand dollars, and our competitors were doing everything that they could to stop that. Kickstarter is a business, and that was their decision. We were not warned, we do not have a say in the matter, we cannot notify our backers, we cannot message our backers, and we can't post updates anymore. That is how Kickstarter chose to act.

We are the creators of STALKER, and we know that we can make Areal even better than that series, because of advances in technology, gameplay mechanics, and story. We need your support to make that happen, so we have opened up a website wherein we will continue to raise funds. We ask all supporters of Areal who read this, to please head over to our site and contribute there. PayPal is used for safe checkout, but you do not need a PayPal account to donate. Thank you for your understanding.

http://areal.west-games.com/