Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The third one requires a jump. It's above Elana's boss arena, behind an illusory wall by some knights.

Can anyone give me some more exact directions to find this bonfire? I'm going insane trying to find it and "by some knights" isn't the most helpful relative location information in Dark Souls 2 :v:

Never mind, I got it. For anyone else looking, it's in the hallway right before the staircase that takes you down to two Dragonblood knights, one of whom usually charges you up the stairs, the other hiding around a corner. The illusory wall is on the left side of the hallway, facing with the center chasm to your left and the staircase to the right. As said in the IGN tip, but I didn't have to shoot any arrows.

Adhesive Gamin fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My Gyrm Great Hammer +10 broke on the killing blow of the last boss in the DLC :haw:
I find that the AI is wildly inconsistent, unfortunately. I can see why people would say it's easy now, since this time he basically stayed on the ground for 80% of the fight making it incredibly easy.

Now to explore all the stuff I missed...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where do I go to start the DLC?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Where do I go to start the DLC?

Behind the Rotten.

Man, I think I like this Yorgh spear.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

My Gyrm Great Hammer +10 broke on the killing blow of the last boss in the DLC :haw:
I find that the AI is wildly inconsistent, unfortunately. I can see why people would say it's easy now, since this time he basically stayed on the ground for 80% of the fight making it incredibly easy.

Now to explore all the stuff I missed...

I wouldn't say it's inconsistent, per se. I found that he tends to alternate between ground and sky regularly, although you can exploit his AI to keep him on the ground a bit longer. Only thing I dislike is the Guardian Dragon fireball attack since the hitbox on that thing's explosion is crazy.

Flytrap posted:

Behind the Rotten.

Man, I think I like this Yorgh spear.

I was kinda down on it when I first tried it but after using it in PVP a bunch I really warmed up to it; it's now one of my favorite weapons. Very useful in the DLC itself, as well.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Genocyber posted:

You're hosed as an invader. You cannot operate the mechanisms making it very easy to make it impossible to get to the host.

It's really obnoxious for Sunbros, too. If your host is clueless, there's not really any way to progress. Out of the 5 times I've been summoned so far, 3 of those have got lost around the same point, with me trying everything I can think of to get their attention to tell them "Hit this thing! THIS THING OVER HERE!"

Snaggletooth
Mar 15, 2002

Daerc posted:

Porting to Things Betwixt and then back to Majula should fix it.

Thank you.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It is going to be very funny when the guilty try try to stand on a normally inaccessible platform.

Only for me to moonjump after them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does anything happen if you try and stab Vendrick in his memory? I held off because I want to grab all the crowns.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
I hope we get the other pieces of the (armor spoilers) Flower Skirt set in the other DLCs.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I do not think we will.

From included a set of no-text items, presumably as filler slots so that they will not have to reorganize the items tables again. I do not believe one had an ID that would indicate that they plan on giving us a Flower Set.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 23, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Genocyber posted:

I was kinda down on it when I first tried it but after using it in PVP a bunch I really warmed up to it; it's now one of my favorite weapons. Very useful in the DLC itself, as well.

It's that frickin' instant flourish man. It lures you in with that slow heavy lance stab and then BAM! 3 part combo out of loving nowhere!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know putting stuff in spoiler tags is purely goodwill from the thread, but so far everyone has been pretty nice about it.. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like it if you do it as well, Tallgeese and Genocyber.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh right, thank you. I was wondering what was nagging me about my post.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Does anything happen if you try and stab Vendrick in his memory? I held off because I want to grab all the crowns.

Nothing happens really.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Has anyone noticed that a certain NPC Invader Jester Thomas will actually taunt you before starting his attack? He does the "This one's me". I've never seen an NPC do any gesture before.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I bumbled my way all the way to the iron chest with the Puzzle sword in it in the Dragon Sanctum, before backtracking a bit and falling into a nest of bugbeasts and dying. Did I miss a second bonfire? Maybe I just got spoiled by the main game sprinkling them just about everywhere but it seemed I went pretty far without finding one.

If a helpful shade I summoned hadn't pointed out I could smack the glowing pillars as switches I would probably have not gotten very far in the DLC.

Is the focus souls spell any good in actually practice? It seems like a "soul bolt, but not poo poo, but it takes two slots" spell.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Is there a way to materialize the ghosts past the first two in the Dragon's Sanctum? I just died to an arrow chest of all things because I didn't heal up before opening it, and I don't feel like whaling on them with a fire weapon for 5 minutes each again.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Cowcaster posted:

Is the focus souls spell any good in actually practice? It seems like a "soul bolt, but not poo poo, but it takes two slots" spell.

Who cares if it's effective? It's great looking!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AndroidHub posted:

Is there a way to materialize the ghosts past the first two in the Dragon's Sanctum? I just died to an arrow chest of all things because I didn't heal up before opening it, and I don't feel like whaling on them with a fire weapon for 5 minutes each again.

Yes. Just keep running around like a headless chicken until you find the right room. That's what I did. I ended up with like every single one in the area chasing me as I ran around yelling WHERE ARE YOUR BODIES. It was fun as hell. Also the room that has their bodies in it also has two giant pits, so by the time I was done running around destroying them all but one had died via falling.

But now the first boss is kicking my rear end so I think I'm done for the night. Hard hitting magic and an agressive melee guy? Ouch. :saddowns:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Wow, I foumd the secret dungeon! Man, that was fun as Hell. It's a special kind of feeling when you know both you and your phantoms are thinking the same thing, and that thing is:

What!

Why?!

The loving wha-WHY?!

Oh Gwyn we're gonna die down here!

Also fun as Hell fight!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

I'm gorgeous. :allears:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Actually, while I'm asking about spells, I'm having difficulty coming up with a PvE spell set I like since the patch. Right now, with 40 attunement and the +2 southern ritual band, I've got:
    For plinking:
  • 2 great heavy soul arrows

For invaders:
  • 1 homing crystal soulmass
  • 1 soul greatsword

For raw damage:
  • 2 crystal soul spears
  • 1 focus souls

For weapon buff:
  • Sunlight sword

And for ???:
  • Soul Appease

I'm thinking I can drop the homing crystal soulmass because I don't need two spell slots dedicated towards something that's a relatively rare occurrence. I could also swap out the crystal soul spears for great lightning spears? Soul appease is just sort of a wild card I could swap for anything. Any hot tips from the gaming pros? I've got 57 int and 50 faith so all types of magics are in my wheelhouse.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What, no Profound Still to mess with other casters?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Yo, just so you guys know Get the pants from the ghost tallguys in the ziggurat, because they give you bitchin ghost blob feet :pcgaming:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
If you don't think the whippy puzzlesword is just the tightest poo poo than get outta my face:colbert:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Well, it has limited use in PVP because it's so slow, unless you're invading someone and catch them off-guard you're not hitting anything.

If it connects though, the damage on it is pretty nuts.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well, it has limited use in PVP because it's so slow, unless you're invading someone and catch them off-guard you're not hitting anything.

If it connects though, the damage on it is pretty nuts.

So, kind of like soul bolt.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you have the Ashen Mist Heart, once you get the Crown I recommend you go pay a visit to Vendrick's husk in the Undead Crypt :cool:

I enjoyed this DLC and I'm looking forward to the next ones. It's really too bad they re-used Kalameet/Nashandra stuff, even though I liked the bosses themselves it's difficult to apologize for asset recycling. Hopefully they're just keeping some powder dry for some good stuff in the next two months though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

DLC experience so far: I have died twice, both times trying to get what ended up just being a darknight stone. A+ would dark souls again

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

If you have the Ashen Mist Heart, once you get the Crown I recommend you go pay a visit to Vendrick's husk in the Undead Crypt :cool:

I enjoyed this DLC and I'm looking forward to the next ones. It's really too bad they re-used Kalameet/Nashandra stuff, even though I liked the bosses themselves it's difficult to apologize for asset recycling. Hopefully they're just keeping some powder dry for some good stuff in the next two months though.

I don't think it's asset recycling? I mean, they're different enough in look from them to be unique, and as bosses they fight considerably differently. Them being so similar is also likely on purpose. Elena to Nashandra and Sinh not to Kalameet but to the Ancient Dragon. Elena's soul's description says along the lines of "the child of dark is bound to the dragon" to go along with the whole cycle repetition thing. So I'd expect the next two DLCs to also have dark lady and dragon.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fargin Icehole posted:

Did a little short exploring on the DLC. These dudes sure have a lot of lightning resistance. I died to loving poison, I died while i was about to drink my estus.

I knew I was in for some poo poo when the first item I picked up was a Dragon Charm.

Also holy poo poo gently caress those crabs with the poison spitting statues on them. Are they even killable?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Wait wait wait, there's another boss fight? Where? Also how do you unlock that door in the first part of Dragon Sanctum? Are the two related? I managed to beat the DLC in a couple hours and apparently miss a bunch of things, although I did find the second bonfire entirely on my own.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

I knew I was in for some poo poo when the first item I picked up was a Dragon Charm.

Also holy poo poo gently caress those crabs with the poison spitting statues on them. Are they even killable?

You have to use a bow and aim for the crab things carrying the statues

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Genocyber posted:

I don't think it's asset recycling? I mean, they're different enough in look from them to be unique, and as bosses they fight considerably differently. Them being so similar is also likely on purpose. Elena to Nashandra and Sinh not to Kalameet but to the Ancient Dragon. Elena's soul's description says along the lines of "the child of dark is bound to the dragon" to go along with the whole cycle repetition thing. So I'd expect the next two DLCs to also have dark lady and dragon.

I agree they look and fight differently, but at the same time they both pretty blatantly reuse the skeleton/animations/certain moves. If that's not recycling to you then we just have different definitions. Again, I liked both bosses well enough. Art-wise I do think they were a mild letdown after the really awesome, high-effort bosses in the DS1 DLC.

If they really tried to do two more Nashandra clones as bosses in the next two DLCs I think people would rightfully flip their poo poo though.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

if you dont want to use a bow, you can hit them on the head with a weapon that strikes the ground (great hammer) if you space it juuust right

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Using a spear, I can kill the statue lizards in two spots.

At the maximum range of the spear, using the tip aimed downward to strike them.

Also, if I stand literally right next to them.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This isn't DLC chat (well, I don't think it is) but does anyone else think that the headless snakes on the basin statues (like the statue in the shrine of winter) are eternal serpents, like Frampt and Kaathe? That's one element from DS1 that hasn't been featured in 2, and it makes sense that their heads would be cut off.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

SgtSteel91 posted:

You have to use a bow and aim for the crab things carrying the statues

Spears seem to work well, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't feel like progressing through the game that far again, care to spoil it for me?