Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

I've just realised I'm lacking Marauding on my Klankrom. How quickly can I max it out? I want a Fed Boff.

It takes... time. Usually I'll park in the top left corner of Beta Ursa and move between the adjacent zones to collect missions. If I'm lacking I might warp to the Dyson Zone collect there -> Go to the Space battlezone collect more -> From there, go to sector space which actually moves you to Tau Dewa Sector and collect even more. It's really just a matter of running through zones collecting maundering missions. Don't forget to check your First Officer for additional Marauding missions in each zone, sometimes they will have quite a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mondian posted:

Certain doff jobs that are part of chains can give ridiculous amounts of xp on a crit. First couple of missions of the Caitian chain award like 5k base skill points, for example.

There are a couple 12h missions in the dysphere that offer those yields as well.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Burning_Monk posted:

It takes... time. Usually I'll park in the top left corner of Beta Ursa and move between the adjacent zones to collect missions. If I'm lacking I might warp to the Dyson Zone collect there -> Go to the Space battlezone collect more -> From there, go to sector space which actually moves you to Tau Dewa Sector and collect even more. It's really just a matter of running through zones collecting maundering missions. Don't forget to check your First Officer for additional Marauding missions in each zone, sometimes they will have quite a few.

Thanks. It'll be good to start contra farming anyway, and I imagine I'll be able to 'donate' some the prisoners to fleet projects to get me closer to elite drones.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Yeah. Ish.

Keep in mind, you can pay for anything in STO by earning Dilithium in-game and converting it to Zen, the real money currency. It's actually at a fairly reasonable rate.

This is only true for a very specific definition of reasonable. About how long does the daily 8500 Dilithium take to grind out, these days? Because at current prices, it's that amount of time for 55 cents worth of Zen.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

kafziel posted:

This is only true for a very specific definition of reasonable. About how long does the daily 8500 Dilithium take to grind out, these days? Because at current prices, it's that amount of time for 55 cents worth of Zen.

I've dropped real money on ships before. I've regretted some and not regretted others.

If you're going to spend real money on the game (and to be fair, Cryptic have put in the effort to deserve a few bucks now and then) think carefully about what you're buying. 10-console, endgame-ready ships are great because you don't have to gently caress around with FSMs down the track. The EC cap increase is also a must. Mid game ships like the Valdore that give must-use consoles are also absolutely worth it.

I have a couple of 9-console ships that I just never use.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

kafziel posted:

That's why you get alts and feed them contra.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Are Science captains/Science Vessels still terrible?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Sci Captains were never terrible.

Sci ships have had something of a boost, given Gravity Well and Tyken's Rift got their damage boosted when the Voth showed up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there any way to unbind the colours of different uniform bits from each other in the tailor? There's a fair few bits where changing one colour changes a bunch of other colour settings to the same thing and I want to make them different.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
OK so what's the best way to earn energy credits? People keep saying you should raise the EC cap but I can't ever imagine even hitting it at the moment. I'm level 50 now if that makes a difference.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
There's a page on the wiki about it although the exchange prices are quite dated. The easiest way to start off though is to run one of the many 'farm' foundry missions daily, the loot of which should net you several hundred thousand EC when vendored.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Kitchner posted:

OK so what's the best way to earn energy credits? People keep saying you should raise the EC cap but I can't ever imagine even hitting it at the moment. I'm level 50 now if that makes a difference.

Kind of a pain but check out the Wiki for details. I'll summarize it though:

Pick up a decent mirror ship from the NoP/Dental fleet bank, or ask for one in the channel. Follow ship build guides on the wiki to get a general idea of how to set things up.

Run STFs with goons. Don't worry about your contribution to the fight - goons run them all the time. Each one nets you 960 dilithium, some marks, and random trash loot. If you get bored with them, the Dyson Ground battlezone is a nice variety. It's very easy to hit daily dilithium refine caps playing ground battlezone for an hour or so. It's especially lucrative during dilithium events, too.

Convert the dil to zen using the dilithium exchange and once you get enough, unlock the EC cap first thing. Use the marks you earn in the STFs to raise your reputations. Aqcuire loot.

Consider doing marauding missions if you are a klingon. Turn in the contraband on dilithium weekends (like right now).

As you continue to run STFs, improve your equipment. Maybe buy some fleet ships. Convert spare dil to zen, then buy keys and sell them on the exchange for EC.

Note that the process of converting dilithium to EC or zen speeds up immensely if you have multiple characters.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Sell what drops. Doing your reps, doing mission replays, doing whatever, you'll get a lot of random drops. In most cases you don't want it. Sell it. It adds up and faster than you'd think. Especially in the case of the rep boxes.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I heard you can turn in the old crafting materials for dilithium, is that correct? Where do you do that?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

No, old crafting mats can be turned in for new mats. Unreplicatable materials can be cashed in for refined dilithium, but if you don't know the difference you're almost guaranteed not to have any of the latter anyway.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You used to be able to turn old-era crafting mats in for Dilithium in your ship's science lab. Dunno if that made the transition.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

MikeJF posted:

You used to be able to turn old-era crafting mats in for Dilithium in your ship's science lab. Dunno if that made the transition.

I remember trying that the first day. It only takes new materials now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

kelvron posted:

I remember trying that the first day. It only takes new materials now.
What's the exchange rate like? If this means I can turn scanning gaseous anomalies into dil, that's way more useful!

Wilkerson
May 28, 2006
Can I get wiki access - user name Wilkerson.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

So many marks to grind down :froggonk:

Shiv Katall
Feb 11, 2008
Rape knows no boundaries
Shiv Katall@slickslinky for in game channel

SlickSlinky for wiki please

Started playing this just a few days ago and would rather play with Goons

Shiv Katall fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 26, 2014

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
Someone decided to figure out how to beat No Win Scenario with two guys.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1177551
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eydFU1aMyWU

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Wilkerson posted:

Can I get wiki access - user name Wilkerson.

Die Zombie Die posted:

Shiv Katall@slickslinky for in game channel

SlickSlinky for wiki please

Started playing this just a few days ago and would rather play with Goons

You're both sorted.

Cryptic posted:

A new item has been added to GPL stores: The Subspace Party Nullifier.
This will render its owner immune to the jovial effects of the Subspace Party Amplifier for as long as it is held in the inventory.

:suicide:

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

There's a new gpl item on Tribble that makes it so sperfelords don't dance under disco balls anymore. I can't believe this was made.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It should be called the Goddamn Killjoy.

They should've made it cost dil. And have a use limit.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
They missed the boat by not making it a Zen store item.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

As long as they can still see the disco ball, they'll be partying in their hearts. :911:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tunicate posted:

There are a couple 12h missions in the dysphere that offer those yields as well.

Provide Shore Leave Services offers around 20,000 Development XP on a crit if you stack it with purple doffs.

Kitchner posted:

Do the Marauding thing, but instead of turning in contraband, sell it on the Exchange, it will add up very fast. Run Marauding missions with "Starfleet" or "Federation" in the name (but not in the Sirius sector block) and all the Disable Freighter missions except Vulcan (because Vulcans don't have any space-crack on their ships). Run trading missions in Cardassian space for the Gamma Quadrant commodities, sell them on the Exchange. Sell green/blue/purple versions of desirable consoles on the Exchange (RCS Accelerator, Neutronium Alloy, energy weapon type consoles). Run the Undine Battlezone and dump all the ship parts you get on a merchant (not as profitable as it used to be, but a significant source of EC anyway). If any of your space friends gets a gambling habit and starts popping lock boxes, lie and say you need some of the items so he can give you some, then sell them on the Exchange (do not pop lock boxes yourself to earn EC, you will lose money doing this!).

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 26, 2014

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Has anyone beaten it with more than two people? or are they being forced to do it with two people because of zone scaling works?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's been beaten many times with a full group. The reason they're doing it with two is because it's still probably the hardest PVE mission, and they're using an entirely optional and self-imposed handicap for fun and to show their skills. :geno:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

How does he have a permanent EPS Power Transfer up with no timer and being a tac?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

How does he have a permanent EPS Power Transfer up with no timer and being a tac?

It's up at the very start, before there's even combat, so I'd guess that icon is for one of the set bonuses. They do reuse stuff.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

They're not using Power Transfer, they're both Tactical.

They're using the Red Matter Capacitor and Plasmonic Leech to keep their power levels high, the Warp Core is feeding Weapons Power into Shield as well. Also basic Auxiliary to Battery. This is feeding into the [AMP] ability on the warp core-3% extra damage for every power level above 75.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Isn't that the [AMP] icon?

Edit: beaten.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Just getting back into the game after a long hiatus and I see they changed how race traits worked. What should I go with for a Romulan, Rom or Alien?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Asimo posted:

As long as they can still see the disco ball, they'll be partying in their hearts. :911:

And as long as some hideous alien in a clownsuit is dancing in front of them.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

az posted:

Just getting back into the game after a long hiatus and I see they changed how race traits worked. What should I go with for a Romulan, Rom or Alien?
Romulan. Has crit, defense, and cloak-boosting space traits. Save the Alien for the Fed alt.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
Last I checked, though, playing as a Rom-Alien is the only way to have a Alien-gen in Romulan-specific attire. Not that that's a real selling point.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
According to the in-game calendar next 'weekend' (31st-4th) is R&D weekend with +50% R&D XP and a bunch of other stuff. Not that it's going to speed up things that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Aleth posted:

According to the in-game calendar next 'weekend' (31st-4th) is R&D weekend with +50% R&D XP and a bunch of other stuff. Not that it's going to speed up things that much.

Not gonna help any. Everybody who's a big enough idiot to max it out already has, everybody else has written it off. Hopefully some of the people who bitched actually quit.

• Locked thread