Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I pissed off some locals on BeerAdvocate because I essentially made fun of them for wanting to camp out for El Catador Club signups on Sunday. They don't trust us because of the Hunahpu's Day fiasco, yet they're going to camp out for our beer?

"gently caress CCB, they lied about Hunahpu's Day and hosed everyone over. Oh this tent? I'm going to camp out in the shady parking lot across the street from CCB so I can purchase bottles of beer that don't exist."

Beer geeks are the worst

I still don't get -literal outrage- over Huna Day. It's not like Joey Redner sat down and came up with a clever list of ways to piss off entitled beer geeks and then sprung his brilliant trap. Breweries historically are bad at websites, ticketing, memberships, and event planning. I'm never shocked when an event or a release is a shitshow. But like you said, of course, they'll all still throw their money at you for ~limited releases~, but never let you live this down via internet comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

a worthy uhh posted:

I still don't get -literal outrage- over Huna Day. It's not like Joey Redner sat down and came up with a clever list of ways to piss off entitled beer geeks and then sprung his brilliant trap. Breweries historically are bad at websites, ticketing, memberships, and event planning. I'm never shocked when an event or a release is a shitshow. But like you said, of course, they'll all still throw their money at you for ~limited releases~, but never let you live this down via internet comments.

Beer nerds are the loving worst indeed. It never fails to amaze me how some people have a hard time understanding that a brewer is trying to brew/sell beer, it's the bottom line to them and that's what they do best. Sure, some breweries run the business aspects like marketing/event planning etc better, but seriously, it's just beer. Not gonna lie that I bitch and moan about Jester King's system all the time (mostly due to personal inconvenience), but I respect them for making the right business decision too.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

a worthy uhh posted:

It's not like Joey Redner sat down and came up with a clever list of ways to piss off entitled beer geeks and then sprung his brilliant trap.

OR DID HE.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I pissed off some locals on BeerAdvocate because I essentially made fun of them for wanting to camp out for El Catador Club signups on Sunday. They don't trust us because of the Hunahpu's Day fiasco, yet they're going to camp out for our beer?

"gently caress CCB, they lied about Hunahpu's Day and hosed everyone over. Oh this tent? I'm going to camp out in the shady parking lot across the street from CCB so I can purchase bottles of beer that don't exist."

Beer geeks are the worst

Call the police and tell them you think an Occupy movement is setting up.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Stone wants a brewery in Berlin? Well, Freetail wants a Delivery Lamborghini. A far better use of money. Well-played, Freetail.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

wattershed posted:

Stone wants a brewery in Berlin? Well, Freetail wants a Delivery Lamborghini. A far better use of money. Well-played, Freetail.

:cawg:

IndieGogo only charges you if it gets fully funded, right? I think I'm feeling $10,000 generous today...

Aww, nevermind... "Though your payment will be processed immediately, you will receive a refund if the campaign does not reach its funding goal."

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

a worthy uhh posted:

:cawg:

IndieGogo only charges you if it gets fully funded, right? I think I'm feeling $10,000 generous today...

Aww, nevermind... "Though your payment will be processed immediately, you will receive a refund if the campaign does not reach its funding goal."

That's the bullshit thing about Stone's, though, it's "Flexible Funding" which means they're getting whatever's donated regardless of whether or not they reach their goal. All the more reason to poo poo on their campaign.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Beer geeks are the worst

I sort of wish you had the time and desire to catalog all the people in the Hunaphu's Day thread that said they'd never deal with CCB again or reup their El Cat membership, Then have some means to cross reference these people to the people who actually reupped and then call them all out.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Loonytoad Quack posted:

As for UK brewers you should try, my must have list would be something like:

I'd also add Beavertown to this list. Gamma Ray is a fantastic pale ale (especially for £2 a can), and they have some excellent stouts and porters.
Moor in Bristol also have some lovely cask ales.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

I'd like to know if I can sign up and pay under my friends name and member number that we split last year. He has no problem picking the bottles up but doesn't feel like partaking (ponying up the cash) this year.

"John Doe, Member 0001, Atothesquiz's email, credit card, and billing address". I know it would still be listed on his name which both him and I are both fine with. It was originally listed in his name because he lives in Tampa and I dont and he would beable to utilize the 10% off that he paid for.

Girlkisser, any ideas?

Well I went ahead and purchased our membership. I put my friend's name(main person on the membership) and his number in the comment section specifying that there was no section to to put their name other than the billing. CCB commented on my question about billing name/address versus member name / address and said this should be fine. Heres hoping, otherwise oh well.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Finally, finally got to try Lagunitas Daytime...and I wasn't thrilled. Lighter in body and flavor than the aroma would indicate. It's good, but it's not great, I'd put it at pretty much the same level as Go To. For my money, All Day is still the tops in this category, I can't see ever picking any other "session IPA" over it.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Phanatic posted:

Finally, finally got to try Lagunitas Daytime...and I wasn't thrilled. Lighter in body and flavor than the aroma would indicate. It's good, but it's not great, I'd put it at pretty much the same level as Go To. For my money, All Day is still the tops in this category, I can't see ever picking any other "session IPA" over it.

All Day and Daytime have been the tops for me in this category, but none of the other ones I've had (Easy Jack, Stone's, etc.) have been anything but hop water. If that's your preference, that's fine, but I want at least some semblance of malt presence.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

A friend linked me this: http://podcastone.com/Steve-Austin-Show
Stone Cold Steve Austin's favourite beer is Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA so he interviews Sierra Nevada Brewing Company's Ken Grossman. It's worth checking out for a laugh haha.

wattershed posted:

quote:

$10,000USD
ULTIMATE HERO

This is the best prize! 1) You get to pick the license plate for the Lambo (subject to availability in the state of Texas) 2) You get to take a road trip with me from San Antonio to New York City where we will take a picture together in front of the HQ of a different crowdfunding website, flipping them the bird. I'll likely let you drive a good deal of the way (insurance requirements apply)

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!! loving hell those perks were a funny read. :)

Fluo fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 25, 2014

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I thought Stone Cold rode for Coors Light now and forever

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

wattershed posted:

That is loving hilarious.

Phanatic posted:

Have you had Boat Beer yet? That and Daytime are my tops.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

bottle up a bunch of old sanitizer, give all the campers tickets, then...

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
All Day and Boat are far and away the best 'session IPAs' I've had. I had DayTime a while back and it made no impression whatsoever. Maybe I'll give it another whirl if it ever shows up here now that we get Lagunitas.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

cryme posted:

All Day and Boat are far and away the best 'session IPAs' I've had. I had DayTime a while back and it made no impression whatsoever. Maybe I'll give it another whirl if it ever shows up here now that we get Lagunitas.

What else is there? All Day, Boat, DayTime and ... I can't really think of another off of the top of my head that's worth mentioning. Flying Dog's Easy IPA was pretty good, but it didn't have much character.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Midorka posted:

What else is there? All Day, Boat, DayTime and ... I can't really think of another off of the top of my head that's worth mentioning. Flying Dog's Easy IPA was pretty good, but it didn't have much character.

Easy Jack, Go To, Easy IPA, SN Nooner, there was a draft-only Victory, Boulevard Pop-Up, Smuttynose has one now... all forgettable.

If we can count 21st Amendment Bitter American, that's decent.

Side note, I recently had Widmer/Boneyard Blacklight, a Black Session IPA, which is pretty much the opposite of my platonic ideal of a beer - but it was actually fairly good. Gonna chalk that up to the Boneyard influence.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Not a fan of the RR beer in the Beer Camp pack, I did like the Bell's dark ale though

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

pugnax posted:

Man I loved all three of those. :colbert:

Any michigoons try the single hop (apollo, falconer's flight, cascade) crooked tree variations from dark horse yet? Picked up some singles and tossed em in the fridge but haven't cracked one yet.

I have not, I was waiting to see if singles appeared but it is strictly in 12 packs here so far. I demand that you keep us posted so I can decide whether to buy one.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

katkillad2 posted:

So I after a trip to Vegas for a bachelor party I think I am a convert for specialized glasses for beer. I know it's obviously big for wine and I recently read an article about glasses made for coca-cola that were supposed to increase the flavor, but never really bothered for beer unless it was out of a tap.

The beer I had was Tangerine Wheat from Lost Coast Brewery and the glass was shaped like a rose that was half bloomed and only held about 8oz of beer. It just felt like it really intensified the flavors compared to just drinking it straight from a bottle. I'm going to have to find some of those glasses, if anyone has any scientific articles on the reasoning for this I would be interested in reading them.

It's weird, but I really have noticed a difference based on glassware. I think the secret to this technique is the way the aromas are directed into your nose by different shapes of glasses. Taste is very strongly tied to smell (if you plug your nose while eating or drinking something, it'll be significantly less "tasty") so that's probably why it matters. However I don't buy that there are a million different types of glasses for different types of beers; I stick to either a snifter for strong things like BB stouts or a goblet/chalice for most other things. There are a few special things that have a place like the Dogfish Head IPA glass but as that other guy said, reading too much into it starts to approach audiophile/sommelier territory. Also known as the placebo effect.

In reference to your specific post which I just re-read, drinking from the bottle/can is definitely not the same as drinking from a glass. There isn't any special magical properties, but things like the "head" and ability to smell what you're drinking make a big difference.

krustster fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 25, 2014

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

krustster posted:

I have not, I was waiting to see if singles appeared but it is strictly in 12 packs here so far. I demand that you keep us posted so I can decide whether to buy one.

Not sure if my palate is just having an off day, but I thought the two I've tried so far (Apollo and FF) were decidedly good, but nothing amazing relative to the standard Crooked Tree. If you're in A2, Arbor Farms Market on Stadium has the singles. They're solid IPAs, no doubt, but I think I was expecting something much more aggressively hop-forward. These are just good, balanced, modestly hopped beers. I had a really hard time getting much of a nose out of either, but I've been changing diapers all day and maybe my nostrils are just shot.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Session ipa's? Babyface from Alpine blows away everything else :smugdog:

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
One of my friends told me that a couple of Harris Teeters in Raleigh got the Beer Camp boxes when they weren't supposed to, were not aware that they were a specialty item and not just a random [$brewery summer pack] and put them with the regular SN stuff at $12/box. :catstare:

They have apparently rectified their mistake and fixed the price, and according to him the Cameron Village HT still has a stack of them left. If I wasn't heading out of town tomorrow I'd verify that.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

cryme posted:

Easy Jack, Go To, Easy IPA, SN Nooner, there was a draft-only Victory, Boulevard Pop-Up, Smuttynose has one now... all forgettable.

If we can count 21st Amendment Bitter American, that's decent.

I forgot a lot of them because...well I guess they were forgettable, that or some of them never made it to NJ. Easy IPA was great on tap though, not too far off from mildly flavored selzter water in all honesty, but it went down very refreshingly.

I did forget about Bitter American, I quite like that.

Now onto the problem of being someone who works/commutes a total of 58 hours a week, I sometimes pick up bottles that are far too rich to really be enjoyed solo, but here I am drinking a Firestone Walker Stickee Monkey alone and it's delicious as expected. Big and fruity with a strong malt presence. The barrel is pretty mild here, bourbon definitely creeps up by the finish, but I think this hides the barrel the most of the BA beers I've had from them. Probably because the base beer is rich as heck as it is.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

air- posted:

Session ipa's? Babyface from Alpine blows away everything else :smugdog:

:hfive: but in addition the more I have of Pizza Port's "Ponto S.I.P.A." the more I'm ready to accept cans of that as my sessionable lord and savior.

That is, until I can drink my weight in Babyface again. It's just insane how good that was.

On the other end of the spectrum, Wootstout 2.0 is surprisingly good. I had super-low expectations but got a bottle pretty cheap and gave it a shot. Plenty of well-balanced chocolate and roasty hops, only complaint is I don't pick up the pecans at all. This could have been something great if those were more present.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wattershed posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, Wootstout 2.0 is surprisingly good. I had super-low expectations but got a bottle pretty cheap and gave it a shot. Plenty of well-balanced chocolate and roasty hops, only complaint is I don't pick up the pecans at all. This could have been something great if those were more present.

I'm mostly grumpy this isn't seeing the same distro 1.0 was - won't make it out to NJ. :( Also, wasn't the original light on pecans too?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Beer geeks are the worst

See, I'm glad this whole thing doesn't exist over our side of the pond.

Theres way too much good beer for anyone to get that wound up about a single release from a single brewery IMHO.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

pantsfree posted:

I'd also add Beavertown to this list. Gamma Ray is a fantastic pale ale (especially for £2 a can), and they have some excellent stouts and porters.

Gamma Ray is excellent. I can and have drank it all day long.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

pantsfree posted:

I thought I'd put Moor on there (Hoppiness is probably the best cask beer I've had in years) and Beavertown definitely deserve a spot but I forgot about them. Their new cans and bottles have some of the best art going too.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Spuckuk posted:

See, I'm glad this whole thing doesn't exist over our side of the pond.

Theres way too much good beer for anyone to get that wound up about a single release from a single brewery IMHO.

:allears:

That's funny. This sort of behavior has nothing to do with a lack of good beer.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Podima posted:

I'm mostly grumpy this isn't seeing the same distro 1.0 was - won't make it out to NJ. :( Also, wasn't the original light on pecans too?

I actually never tried the first one because I'd heard it wasn't all that good. Typical "gets a 3.8 on Untappd" Stone gimmick collaboration beer. I'm going back tomorrow to grab a few more bottles of the 2.0 though.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Last night a guy in the local Facebook groups sold off his recent spoils (he put up a group request post, and since I've dealt with him before, I actually got what I wanted)

Hill Farmstead Peleg
Grassroots Absence of Bliss
Hill Farmstead Nordic Saison
Growler of HF Edward
4 pack of Heady Topper
Set of Jack's Abby Framinghammers (regular, vanilla, coffee, cocoa-nut, and PB&J)

Twas a good night :)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

:allears:

That's funny. This sort of behavior has nothing to do with a lack of good beer.

I didn't mean 'Theres too much good beer HERE and not the US' for that behaviour. There's too much good beer period now for people to be just that mad about any one in particular. It's really reminiscent of some of the wine scene, and not in a good way.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I thought I'd put Moor on there (Hoppiness is probably the best cask beer I've had in years) and Beavertown definitely deserve a spot but I forgot about them. Their new cans and bottles have some of the best art going too.

Wheres a good place to get Beavertown cans online? Coming up a blank here.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Spuckuk posted:

Wheres a good place to get Beavertown cans online? Coming up a blank here.

Ales By Mail get them in but only have Smog Rocket at the moment: http://www.alesbymail.co.uk/shop/pick-n-mix-beer/pick-n-mix-beers/beavertown/in?limitstart=0

So do BeerRitz but similar story: http://www.beerritz.co.uk/dept/beavertown-brewery_d01363.htm

I'm lucky and have a really good beer shop near me that gets them, so don't order them online often. Both of the above sites have CAMRGB 10% off codes.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

wattershed posted:

I'd probably try a festival pour/sample but that's it. I was sort of intrigued since I'm a huge Aisha Tyler fan, but I can't let Stone's bullshit slide.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Midorka posted:

Terrapin Recreation Ale :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wattershed posted:

I actually never tried the first one because I'd heard it wasn't all that good. Typical "gets a 3.8 on Untappd" Stone gimmick collaboration beer. I'm going back tomorrow to grab a few more bottles of the 2.0 though.

If you get a couple extra I'd be down for a trade for myself and my buddies out here - let me know, and we can set something up! :)