Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Away all Goats posted:

I'm having stutter issues when I load into a new area i.e. when I redeploy or fly across the continent, especially if the area is heavily populated.

Is an SSD or doubling my ram (currently 4GB) the best remedy for this?
I don't know if it'll fix the problem but you should definitely double your RAM (or, better, get 16GB total)
It really is great.

An SSD is great for Planetside since it pretty much removes loading times, but switching PS2 from an HD to my SSD didn't improve my performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

First gen SMGs are on sale today

If you haven't gotten the Cyclone, you should get it. It's like a carbine any class can use.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
gently caress it SOE, just give us a Desperado on VS. And an Anchor. And make the Corvus 167/577 so I can have a pseudo-Gauss S too.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The Spiker is SOE's mea culpa to clickscripters for cheating them out of the original Terminus. Except it still sucks.

Just make it auto-charge from 125 to 167 so the first burst has some alpha and it can work like a ghetto Desperado if not spammed. Done. Fixing this poo poo doesn't seem that hard really.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I was thinking of picking up the Spiker with certs when it comes out just because I've got plenty of certs at the moment, but I think I can safely say that it's actually worse than the Cerberus. (I've actually kind of grown on the Cerberus, although it's still the worst pistol in the game at the moment, aside from joke stuff like the fireworks gun)

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Gonkish posted:

I really wish they would do whatever is required to a.) make the scopes line up with where they're actually shooting and b.) make the red dots/holo sights loving illuminate at night. Jesus gently caress, you can't use those loving red dots at night. The dot is huge during the day and often occludes your loving target, AND at night you can't even loving see the thing because it's dark as gently caress and the same loving color as everything else.

I use a mumble overlay to stick a green dot in the middle of my screen and it works great. It was a minor pain to set up though, since mumble overlay doesn't seem to work if Planetside 2 is in 64-bit mode and you need to do some weird stuff to force it into 32.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

simsense cumshots posted:

I hope you login, become addicted to it, and never are heard from ITT again until someone who vaguely remembers you posts ITT about how you died surrounded by used mountaindew pissbottles and boxes of dunkin donuts all around your fat dead corpse.

haha ok, whoever you are!

oh, that mark brouhard nerd.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 26, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Vargs posted:

I use a mumble overlay to stick a green dot in the middle of my screen and it works great. It was a minor pain to set up though, since mumble overlay doesn't seem to work if Planetside 2 is in 64-bit mode and you need to do some weird stuff to force it into 32.

Can you post how you did this? I've stopped using the red dot 3.4x for the reasons Gonkish mentioned, but the crosshair sight is impossible to use at night, sometimes.

I pretty much have been reduced to NV/IR like 90% of the time... NC sights are goddamn terrible. :smith:

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Can you post how you did this? I've stopped using the red dot 3.4x for the reasons Gonkish mentioned, but the crosshair sight is impossible to use at night, sometimes.

I pretty much have been reduced to NV/IR like 90% of the time... NC sights are goddamn terrible. :smith:

I don't know how he did it but if you want to keep your 64 bit client I did this which requires you to be in fullscreen windowed mode.

I was too dumb to figure out how to get the crosshair overlay working with it so I downloaded Custom Desktop Logo, which also only works in fullscreen windowed, and just grabbed one of the crosshair.png files provided through here to use as an overlay image.

Ra-amun fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 26, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

More Directives revealed:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2bsg5d/twitter_xalorn_for_facility_capturedefense/

Malorn posted:

A reward like white camo will be desired.

Solid white camo for all.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fuzz posted:

:stare:

Really, now.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

And god dammit, the Spiker has a fire delay issue thanks to the useless charge gimmick, thereby defeating the purpose of a burst pistol altogether. Why is it so hard for SOE to realize that this charge mechanic is not a thing that should be used on every single gun, and is not a replacement for having an actual thought process behind VS guns? NC has soup can bullets, TR has dakka, VS should not loving have charge gimmicks, because no one will use them on anything except longe-range weapons (because that's the only situation where they're useful).

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Klowns posted:

I've seen a few people complain about this, not sure if it's memory (running 16 GB) or what but it has never bothered me. I have, sadly, had a few twelve hour gaming sessions, though I normally only run for three to four hours at a time without any frame rate drop.

I seem to have the opposite problem where I can't get over 60 FPS no matter what I do, I've gone from 1920x1080 Ultra down to 1280x720 with all graphics set to minimal without any change in FPS.
Force vsync to off in both the ini settings and graphics card preset settings, and set FPS limit to something less than 200 or else the game will crash.

Also, 16GB makes the memory leak problem nonexistant during 4 hour sessions :smugdog:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

And yet he still isn't replying to everyone who told him off about the stupid battle rifle directive decision. :allears:

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police

Gonkish posted:

And god dammit, the Spiker has a fire delay issue thanks to the useless charge gimmick, thereby defeating the purpose of a burst pistol altogether. Why is it so hard for SOE to realize that this charge mechanic is not a thing that should be used on every single gun, and is not a replacement for having an actual thought process behind VS guns? NC has soup can bullets, TR has dakka, VS should not loving have charge gimmicks, because no one will use them on anything except longe-range weapons (because that's the only situation where they're useful).

The Spiker should have select-fire, not a lovely and useless charge gimmick. Keep the two-round burst it has now, and give it a four-round burst that unloads all four rounds like they're shotgun pellets. There, problem solved, you now have a unique faction-specific pistol that sticks to the VS theme of versatility.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

A Tartan Tory posted:

And yet he still isn't replying to everyone who told him off about the stupid battle rifle directive decision. :allears:

I've not heard of anything. What was the decision, and question/argument? I just fell in love with my Warden.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Sorry VS faction theme is lovely TR/NC weapons.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Arghy posted:

Sorry VS faction theme is lovely TR/NC weapons.

Arghy it's not shitposting when you're right. :(

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
A lot of stupid people like to throw around the term pubbie like they know what it means. I guess a pubbie is just a non-outfit/guild/squad whatever person, or anyone whose not in your video game guild. It's used as an insult or a way to degrade people 100% of the time, but I was wondering what the definition means to many of you (pubbies).

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Broose posted:

I've not heard of anything. What was the decision, and question/argument? I just fell in love with my Warden.

If you want the Battle Rifle directive, you have to Aurax 3 infil weapons, if you are an infil and aurax those 3 weapons, you get no reward unless you aurax the battle rifle and play another class!

Malorn.txt

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

I wrote a quick autohotkey macro to force-crash planetside when the resource leak gets bad, it's great if you play in full-screen exclusive mode like me and are too lazy to tab out and end the process. It also doubles as a great ragequit hotkey.

code:
#IfWinActive, Planetside2 v

; CTRL ALT PGUP - kill process
^!PgUp::Run taskkill /f /im Planetside2_x64.exe

#IfWinActive
Just add that into your autohotkey config and away you go.

A Tartan Tory posted:

If you want the Battle Rifle directive, you have to Aurax 3 infil weapons, if you are an infil and aurax those 3 weapons, you get no reward unless you aurax the battle rifle and play another class!

Malorn.txt

Let me guess, the entire community hates this design because it's stupid and Malorn refuses to listen anyway. This sounds suspiciously like the mission system removing local base-capture info from the HUD, or the mission system constantly spamming noises and the "GO HERE NOW" HUD indicator blocking your view.

Oh Malorn :allears:

o muerte fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 26, 2014

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

vigorous sodomy posted:

A lot of stupid people like to throw around the term pubbie like they know what it means. I guess a pubbie is just a non-outfit/guild/squad whatever person, or anyone whose not in your video game guild. It's used as an insult or a way to degrade people 100% of the time, but I was wondering what the definition means to many of you (pubbies).
It means posts like this

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Completing the Directive tree should give you the Autism (sniper) Rifle that shoots fedoras and yugi-oh cards at your enemies, and when reloading the audio for it says "M'lady". Designation, AF-25 Euphorica.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Hajj Podge posted:

Completing the Directive tree should give you the Autism (sniper) Rifle that shoots fedoras and yugi-oh cards at your enemies, and when reloading the audio for it says "M'lady". Designation, AF-25 Euphorica.

I didn't know I was too old for SA until I read this post and didn't "get" most of the references. :smith:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Zsinjeh posted:

It means posts like this

Referring to your own post?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

vigorous sodomy posted:

Referring to your own post?

its you youre the pub

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

A Tartan Tory posted:

Malorn.txt

This is the worst news. loving bullshit. I don't even play as an infil. Sure as hell not gonna be able to aurax 3 snipers either.

After than Amerish alert, I have come to the conclusion that fighting VS is like slamming my dick in a door while TR is actually somewhat enjoyable. I don't know why, but I can't kill a vanu to save my life.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

vigorous sodomy posted:

pubbie spotted

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Broose posted:

This is the worst news. loving bullshit. I don't even play as an infil. Sure as hell not gonna be able to aurax 3 snipers either.

After than Amerish alert, I have come to the conclusion that fighting VS is like slamming my dick in a door while TR is actually somewhat enjoyable. I don't know why, but I can't kill a vanu to save my life.

TR got a poo poo ton of new blood when they needed older experienced players resulting in them being a complete poo poo show. This is why VS has been routinely holding things with 30% population against TR. The new players simply dont know what to do, many of them are using iron sights in a bio lab filled with smoke against BR100 spergs(me) with IRNV. This is in turn causing VS kdr/KPH/SPM to fly through the roof, expect EHF to post some graphs showing how VS stuff is OP because stupid players are literally throwing their bodys at us.

Tartan you were saying malorn was going to buff the carv i cant find anything that says it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

A Tartan Tory posted:

Malorn.txt

Do SMGs and sidearms count as "infil weapons", or is it just scout and sniper rifles?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Arghy posted:

Tartan you were saying malorn was going to buff the carv i cant find anything that says it.

Higby explicitly said last week no CARV buffs.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Seeing as the graphs I posted were to compare performance between VS and NC guns primarily, and both NC and VS get to fight the same TR, you actually just supported all the points I had previously been making Arghy

Westy543 posted:

Higby explicitly said last week no CARV buffs.

CARV to be nerfed by being given TORQ stats and 150 round mag, recoil reduced to compensate for lower bullet damage

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Arghy posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2bpld5/twitter_xalorn_going_to_be_moving_the_battle/cj7y3os

NihilCredo posted:

Do SMGs and sidearms count as "infil weapons", or is it just scout and sniper rifles?

Bolt Action Sniper Rifles have their own directive, so do SMG's and so do Pistols. 'Marksman' for headshots will give a knife directive as well. We are talking about the Artemis, Nyx, Vandal, Spectre and Phantom which are being lumped in with the Battle Rifle.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

http://www.reddit.com/r/EmeraldPS2/comments/2bnx4u/dont_hate_me_blackweb/

Hahahaha PHX is loving hilarious--even TR didn't defend themselves that hard.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Since I know some people literally only read this thread, if you want a platinum Commissioner from a Gamestop card, you have until Monday to do so.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Ooooo, what's the new GameStop freebie then?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Westy543 posted:

Since I know some people literally only read this thread, if you want a platinum Commissioner from a Gamestop card, you have until Monday to do so.

https://www.planetside2.com/news/gamestop-five-dollars-off-plus-implants

They're switching to Implant packs as the bonus, and the cards will be $5 off from july 28 to august 18 ($10 for 1500SC).

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Haha, going from a Commissioner to a single implant pack is a hell of a downgrade.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah that's kind of lame. $5 off is a decent deal though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Gobblecoque posted:

Haha, going from a Commissioner to a single implant pack is a hell of a downgrade.

Horizontal Tree posted:

Yeah that's kind of lame. $5 off is a decent deal though

If you already have a NS-44P then there's no reason to buy another gamestop card instead of just buying SC online. The Implant pack is a smaller bonus, but since implants are consumables it will be more appealing to repeat customers. Although I would probably prefer chargers, since that's what most implants will end up as.

• Locked thread