Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

vigorous sodomy posted:

You going to let us in on your elite professional alias?

ActionJackson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Epic High Five posted:

How to defeat England:

Goad them into a war
Say, "oh yeah well what about the French?"
England responds with, "OOOOOOOH THOSE FRENCH!!!!11!1"
English forces are now split
Crush them with Vanguards Schiltroms

This is literally how Scotland defeated England every single time we went to war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auld_Alliance

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

simsense cumshots posted:

Who the gently caress you think? Also I didn't realize taking a guess made you a internet detective. Can I take this as a "yes I'm Major Danger, one of the most hated shitlords in goonfleet"?

Haha, no idea who you are :shrug:

I guess you heard it from someone after asking around because you are just so into me :allears: No way your instincts or intuition lead you to believe I could be one guy in all of Something Awful's video game history. Welcome to ignore, lovely ;)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I played for a while, had some fun, but it's complete chaos. You guys say there are tactics you can use in these situations? It just seemed like dozens and dozens of people randomly firing at each other.

Aaod
May 29, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Make either an NC or VS on Emerald, then look for the GOON or GOKU threads, respectively. Make a TR if you like slamming your dick in a drawer. (people will argue with me that I'm wrong on this. Don't listen to them)

The drawer being the rest of your terrible faction and your orgasm being the amazingly overpowered guns they have.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Just Auraxiumed my Carv on my TR alt. Was so painless I didn't even realize I had that many kills with it already.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

BadLlama posted:

Just Auraxiumed my Carv on my TR alt. Was so painless I didn't even realize I had that many kills with it already.

If you decide to go further, don't pick the TMG. I hated it. It is so anti-TR I don't know why we have it, other than 'because TR needed a slower firing, harder hitting gun.' Go with the MSWR, Bull, Rhino, CARV S even. Just stay away from the loving TMG.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Gobblecoque posted:

God those loving GOKU killing this game with their 4000 PPA magriders farming youtube celebrities at the warpgate GOKUUUUUUU :tizzy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH6ZJ239PvU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Phlegmish posted:

I played for a while, had some fun, but it's complete chaos. You guys say there are tactics you can use in these situations? It just seemed like dozens and dozens of people randomly firing at each other.

Planetside 2 elite tactics mainly consist of "have 12-48 people actually do the same thing / support each other". Most of the people you see around are just doing whatever they find fun at that particular moment, and as a result coordinated teams will often beat three times their numbers. It's simply the difference between N people pulling tanks one after another, and N people pulling N tanks all at once.

But it's definitely no "alright, let's hold the left flank while we wait for close air support to breach the south gate and initiate Maneuver 4B7Q" kind of game. (Unless you participate in a Server Smash.) When you can press 'U' and teleport to any other place on the map, logistics and battle lines become pretty meaningless.

Just consider it as Battlefield: Bigger and (arguably) Better. Or, if you play solo, Skyrim With Guns And Even Dumber NPCs.

simsense cumshots posted:

[a lot of worthless shitposts]

Take your drama import firm and :gb2gbs:, tia.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
These second- third- and fourth-hand posts about what GOKU did is literally turning into a Twilight Zone episode
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Nookovian-Red posted:

Really? You're super proud of warp gating a bunch of newbies? Did you lead this Op? I can't imagine KV is responsible for this poo poo show. These poor fucks couldn't even spawn at the warpgate without getting TK'd and you just had to rub the salt in by gate camping too. Way to go! You really showed them!

Hahahahaha woooooow, what outfit are you in? AOD? if not you should join AOD.

So they were getting TKed in the WG and its GOKU's fault? I love GOON trying to take the moral high ground here--atleast GOKU is honest about what it does haha.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Are there going to be tank directives with rewards too? I tried searching but the information doesn't seem to be collected in one place at all. I have 2 auraxiums in guns on my two characters but 4 or 5 with tanks.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Solstice is actually kinda good. Hope this helps!

It's far from unusable, but it's still the worst carbine in the game and the worst starter carbine by a vast margin.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arghy posted:

Hahahahaha woooooow, what outfit are you in? AOD? if not you should join AOD.

So they were getting TKed in the WG and its GOKU's fault? I love GOON trying to take the moral high ground here--atleast GOKU is honest about what it does haha.

I'm not sure what the generalized sort of "it" you're referring to here is, but in the specific case you're mentioning GOON literally was absent and thus, in a strictly scientific sense, was not there.

I claim the moral high ground here because I can. I'm regularly putting things in prox and yell chat to help out new players, I run public platoons 100% of the time and do not kick pubbies, I immediately field any questions I get from my /yell chats saying how the game is pretty tough at first but worth it, and to /tell IGROWWEARYOFTHISWORLD with any questions, I pull vehicles for new players who are interested in maybe certing them out, I certed out and run my gal so that low BRs can get some easy certs, lots of stuff really, and it works. Last night half of the NC territory on Amerish was flying the Higby's Heroes flag, my platoon was probably 1/3 pubbies, and when I had to kick someone who wasn't following us I found that 46/48 people were within 200m of my location despite our hopping around a fair bit. I really wish I saw more people doing this, because as a F2P game a lot of people will just straight up never play it again. With a BF game that they shelled out a lot of money for, there's less incentive to never pick it up again.

If you're talking /yell spam meta then you best back off, because my /yell swag is unrivaled :colbert:

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I have played on European servers for ping reasons but now decided to make a vanu on emerald. There's a second page on public platoons :monocle: Glad I have at least few weapons from when I played EU vanu for a bit at launch. PS2 has a bit different feeling to it when there is a ton more action going on and a lot more vehicle and air power.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Who cares about the moral high ground in your loving internet space battles video game.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pomp posted:

Who cares about the moral high ground in your loving internet space battles video game.

I don't think it has a lot of relevance here but I didn't fire that shot at my outfit so now all that's left is to ensure the Arghy Persecution Complex CircleJerk doesn't end up in GOON's court. Again.

Probably I need to stop assuming anybody even reads those posts, choosing instead to wait for someone else to quote the truly insane parts.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 27, 2014

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

But it's definitely no "alright, let's hold the left flank while we wait for close air support to breach the south gate and initiate Maneuver 4B7Q" kind of game. (Unless you participate in a Server Smash.) When you can press 'U' and teleport to any other place on the map, logistics and battle lines become pretty meaningless.

I'm still figuring out the logistics, to be honest. It seems like I either spawn in a massive clusterfuck where I immediately get killed or have to walk five kilometers to find someone to shoot at. Vehicles so far seem to be worthless in terms of getting places since they inevitably get stuck or explode. I'm probably missing something.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I'm still figuring out the logistics, to be honest. It seems like I either spawn in a massive clusterfuck where I immediately get killed or have to walk five kilometers to find someone to shoot at. Vehicles so far seem to be worthless in terms of getting places since they inevitably get stuck or explode. I'm probably missing something.

Are you in mumble?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pomp posted:

It gives +1 to attack and if the VS try to move away we get a free AoO.

Phlegmish posted:

You can hit U to redeploy and get places, try look for bases with roughly equal populations and preferably 24-48 or less as 48+ is indeed a giant clusterfuck.

Or get in the Goon/Goku Mumble and have them lead you towards certs, victory and getting TK'd by your own inept drivers.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Buying a microphone is on my to-do list for this week, I'm getting the feeling it's pretty crucial. I will be on sometime later this week, after work.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Phlegmish posted:

Buying a microphone is on my to-do list for this week, I'm getting the feeling it's pretty crucial. I will be on sometime later this week, after work.

You don't actually need a microphone, really, at most you need functioning speakers and the ability to type "please invite MyTerribleIngameName to the outfit" in mumble text chat and in the relevant PGS thread. A mic helps though!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Fans posted:

It gives +1 to attack and if the VS try to move away we get a free AoO.

Is this the latest DnD rule speak? I don't get it now. I played when THAC0 was a fresh thing.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

honda whisperer posted:

What it's also going to give us is a brand new cult of personality outfit that can max out TR pop on a whim. Remember the last time we had one of those?

I'm Launch Day Waterson Vanu. It'd feel like coming home, man.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Epic High Five posted:

How to defeat England:

Goad them into a war
Say, "oh yeah well what about the French?"
England responds with, "OOOOOOOH THOSE FRENCH!!!!11!1"
English forces are now split
Crush them with Vanguards
Is that how India did it? I thought they just ghostcapped.

That Gandhi movie would've been a hell of a lot more interesting with an armor push though, I tell you what.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

vigorous sodomy posted:

Is this the latest DnD rule speak? I don't get it now. I played when THAC0 was a fresh thing.

Don't ask me I play FATE >.>

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/xalorn/status/493485914270597120

Malorn: not just a racist shitlord, but a racist shitlord who doesn't listen to constructive feedback while making snarky strawman arguments rather than maintaining an objective viewpoint.

Because the pistols in Halo and the pistols in PS2 are OBVIOUSLY identically utilized weapons and thus copying Halo's pistols is OBVIOUSLY the best choice, especially when done so poorly as to hamper the weapon in its actual role within PS2.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 27, 2014

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Grondoth posted:

I'm Launch Day Waterson Vanu. It'd feel like coming home, man.

Who was waterson's launch celebrity?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah the thing is most of the strat in this game comes from being with goons/on mumble.

With both of those, you can hear when we all pull tanks/reavers to do something dumb. You can get callouts for gunner positions so you can practice powerful weapons on other people's certs. MAXes/dead people will give callouts on locations so you can go run over and heal/repair them. And since we try to avoid the zerg/stick to the interesting fights, it gives you a way to hear when it's time to leave/where we are going next.

Being in an outfit/squad will also show everyone else in your platoon on the map, which gives you a blob to stick around that is usually higher quality then most zergs.

The game can get very tactical once you've gotten into a coordinated squad inside of a platoon in mumble. It's why it's so encouraged because just jumping in and hitting deploy means you'll usually have no idea whats happening/will die constantly for no "gain".

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The new player experience still sucks for typical FPS players who want to press play and receive video game. I remember people from launch, and it's still a complaint that comes up occasionally, that the game is confusing. It's always fun to hear about how people don't want to take a few minutes to read a map. Instant Action not always working as intended doesn't help matters.

The player-driven nature of every session means that there's no real sure fire plan for a newbie since they have to have the presence of mind and the want to look at a fight and adapt to its needs, and being new, might not have the tools to respond, and then dump certs into the game's many dead ends.

:soe: advertising the biggest zergfits in the game doesn't help matters. It's clear by now that they're not really teaching their players how to play. It doesn't help that some of the better outfits are regarded as closed to the public, too but the zergfits are open and visible, so that's why they must've gotten the attention. The zergfit watering-down continues.

GOON absolutely does poo poo-talk, but who really cares?! poo poo-talking is the least of the game's problems, and if suddenly a bunch of sportsman-like /YELL started up, then pubs would still complain about something. They've already invented stories about the GOKU ZERRRRRG. (Besides, the game has /ignore)

Meanwhile, TR run 90+ people in aircraft and tanks down a single lane.

Also, once the Spiker fires homing bolts after being charged up while dual-wielded with a commissioner, I'll accept Malorn's stupid argument. Wow!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Given that I already know exactly the loadout I will be using with my Phoenix Delivery Valkyrie, it will probably only be a few thousand certs to pimp out how I like it. I've lost probably that many certs hitting the cert cap and not realizing it in the last few weeks. I'm sitting on about 9700 still, have earned almost 200,000 total and once the resource boost hits I'll be getting ~15k more in a fat lump sum.

I really, really wish I could gift certs to newer players. I understand why this isn't a thing (to prevent gold farmers) but if rational caps were put in place like 500 certs gifted to you per month, I don't see where the harm would be. It's the law of diminishing marginal utility in play and as such 500 certs means almost nothing to me but to a new player it's a tricked out gun, 2nd to last ranks in nearly all class skills, and maybe a utility like C4 or Tank Mines. What am I going to do with 500 certs? I'm going to dump it into a vehicle cooldown timer so that I don't have to worry about what to do with them until later.

I just wish I could toss a couple hundred certs to newer GOONs who have proven themselves to be not retarded is all. Them having a maxed out medtool is an investment in my own gaming experience too you know.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gonkish posted:

Because the pistols in Halo and the pistols in PS2 are OBVIOUSLY identically utilized weapons and thus copying Halo's pistols is OBVIOUSLY the best choice, especially when done so poorly as to hamper the weapon in its actual role within PS2.

Well they already made the magrider a wraith and the valkyrie is a hornet, may as well go the whole hog and give VS a needler :v:

Just buy the Halo property from Microsoft already Higby.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Leal posted:

Well they already made the magrider a wraith and the valkyrie is a hornet, may as well go the whole hog and give VS a needler :v:

Just buy the Halo property from Microsoft already Higby.

Engies also have plasma grenades. I want my plasma sword

Aaod
May 29, 2004

honda whisperer posted:

Who was waterson's launch celebrity?

Total Biscuit who played as TR... he was BAD like AOD levels of incompetent and had to edit his footage he posted so it didn't look like he was dying constantly.

Aaod fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 27, 2014

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Away all Goats posted:

Engies also have plasma grenades. I want my plasma sword

I want my halo 1 pistol :colbert:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Aaod posted:

Total Biscuit who played as TR... he was BAD like AOD levels of incompetent and had to edit his footage he posted so it didn't like he was dying constantly.

Excuse me, I think you mean "He had to edit his footage because the game is obviously not balanced properly and obviously SoE doesn't care about PC gamers"

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Gonkish posted:

https://twitter.com/xalorn/status/493485914270597120

Malorn: not just a racist shitlord, but a racist shitlord who doesn't listen to constructive feedback while making snarky strawman arguments rather than maintaining an objective viewpoint.

I think he's a little frustrated with the general feedback after VS actually wanted one. Now that VS are getting one, they want something else. It's not even about balance numbers, it's people telling them the concept is trash and to rework it. I do think the Beamer Storm needs work, but having it made into 5 different weapons won't fix its issues.

It's like when the NC claimed to have wanted a shotgun pistol forever then immediately turned around and started crying for some dumb gauss explosive round pistol bullshit as soon as they saw it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJQnVZN1mz0&t=265s

Mutilators :allears:

quote:

1st off, every faction is open to the shotgun options. The Jackhammer is a "jack of all trades and a master of none" shotgun.
At range the NC have the hardest time connecting shots due to how SOE decided that low RoF weapons also have a lower velocity.

The Gauss Saw is a fine example of why 200 Damage weapons are awful at long distance. Basicly it turns your weapon into a worse version of the "Battle Rifle" and we all know how bad that weapon is.

Also it's been stated time and time and time again, that the TTK difference between a NC max and TR/VS max is 0.3 seconds.
Which is nothing considering the TR and VS can get of more potential kills per magazine then the NC Scat Max.

And if some people are still having issues with somthing that makes one of the loudest and most recognisable sounds in the game. And still fail to shoot at it, (or move away from it as it's speed is slower then a sundie) then that hardly the Phoenix users fault, when it has major DPS issues.

FORUMSIDE

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 27, 2014

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Magmarashi posted:

Excuse me, I think you mean "He had to edit his footage because the game is obviously not balanced properly and obviously SoE doesn't care about PC gamers"

Well at launch we did have HE supremacy, so that's not entirely absurd to say :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Rookersh posted:

They still play on Emerald with GOKU/GOON. Most of the English like TartanTory/Shockeh play with GOKU, most of the French/Spanish/Germans play with GOON. There's usually a squad or two rolling around in the morning for both outfits if you log in European time.
I'm dual nationality, so I claim English and Aussie!

(I'm also typing this from a Spanish hotel room, which is why my special lazy brand of daytime redeployment PL hasn't been on)

A Tartan Tory posted:

This is literally how Scotland defeated England every single time we went to war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auld_Alliance

Oh you. :glomp:

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 27, 2014

• Locked thread