Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Horizontal Tree posted:

Uhh, considering that NC gets the best SMG in the entire game and it puts most carbines to shame... reevaluate your life. Then buy the Cyclone. Then seek therapy for all of the broken promises the carbines gave you.

Maybe he's just used to the AC-X11? Get above someone and three bullets to the head and they're dead. I wish we had more guns with the 200 damage profile. Then I'd have another LMG/Carbine to use after I finish auraxing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Ok so save SC for sales. But what should I blow certs on? I don't seem to earn them too fast.

Medic or engineer mostly? If so upgrade the repair or rez tool for that class. Irnv sight for your guns. Get the low price suit upgrades up to about 50 certs. Then max out your tool.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Shoehead posted:

Ok so save SC for sales. But what should I blow certs on? I don't seem to earn them too fast.

If you're a low BR that's a somewhat loaded question. We need to know what kinds of gameplay you enjoy to be able to help you there.

Common advice is to focus on your medic and cert up your revive tool (get to 2nd to last rank ASAP,) your healing aura (get to max rank after 2nd to last revive tool,) Advanced Shield Capacitor to max rank (anywhere you can fit the ranks in, it helps you stay alive to get other poo poo done,) as well as upgrades on your primary AR, nanite revive grenades and (once you've got a handle on how the game works) a couple ranks in grenade bandolier (suit slot, same one as ASC.)

That's a general purpose medic recommendation to get started, though it's one of the most useful team-based loadouts in the game. I recommend that progression to everyone I introduce to the game, it keeps you away from getting used to crutches like MAX suits, vehicles or HA overshields while providing a tangible benefit to the team you're supporting.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Wanna be a medic? H-V45/terminus. Wanna be an engineer? Pulsar C. Bonus points on the Pulsar C because light assaults can use them, and the Pulsar C is designed to reach out and touch nerds. Otherwise, focus on the medic/repair-ammo tools.

Edit: and I'll point out that if you wanna be a heavy assault super star, learn to love the Orion. Learn to love grenade bandolier. Also, learn to love the rocket bandolier if you think you're a saucy concussion grenade chucker.

A FESTIVE SKELETON fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 30, 2014

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Any chance of getting OP to make a list of which weapons/utilities to buy, and which not to buy? Or perhaps link to some place where such information is available? Lists have probably been posted a couple of times throughout the thread, but I can imagine they'd need the occasional update.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Rayjenkins posted:

Wanna be a medic? H-V45/terminus. Wanna be an engineer? Pulsar C. Bonus points on the Pulsar C because light assaults can use them, and the Pulsar C is designed to reach out and touch nerds. Otherwise, focus on the medic/repair-ammo tools.

Edit: and I'll point out that if you wanna be a heavy assault super star, learn to love the Orion. Learn to love grenade bandolier. Also, learn to love the rocket bandolier if you think you're a saucy concussion grenade chucker.

When I don't use grenade bandolier on my HA I use ASC, helps to reduce downtime a lot.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Try out the different classes and see what kind of gameplay you enjoy. Each class has something great to offer.

pertinent posted:

Any chance of getting OP to make a list of which weapons/utilities to buy, and which not to buy? Or perhaps link to some place where such information is available? Lists have probably been posted a couple of times throughout the thread, but I can imagine they'd need the occasional update.

Check page 2.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

West007 posted:

When I don't use grenade bandolier on my HA I use ASC, helps to reduce downtime a lot.

Nothing against advanced shielding capacitor. Only issue I can possibly have with it on a non-HA is that you could potentially utilize another benefit in that slot. HA is all about getting back in the fight so I won't argue against ASC for them. To each their own for sure though.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Gaghskull posted:

Maybe he's just used to the AC-X11? Get above someone and three bullets to the head and they're dead. I wish we had more guns with the 200 damage profile. Then I'd have another LMG/Carbine to use after I finish auraxing them.

I mean the GD-7F kills faster than the cyclone and is accurate as poo poo with ALS on it so I'm not really seeing how the cyclone is that much better?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The benefit of ASC is it's the cheapest suit slot (well, there's Adrenaline Pump I guess) and it's useful on every class. For a new player those higher ranks of Flak or Nanoweave or Bandolier might not be too appealing given limited cert income, but ASC is reasonable to max out and actually quite beneficial.

That said if you're so new you keep dying constantly ASC isn't much help, since ASC reduces downtime and you have to survive fights to have downtime.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
As a new player, I think it's smarter to hold off on the suit slot until you get at least a few levels in repair/med/ammo/AOE heal. Take a look at how you play, what situations you find yourself in, and go from that. Look for the stuff to make you better at what you like doing best.

One thing I will say is that one rank of C4 isn't going to be enough to be useful against vehicles. It can be fun in infantry combat but I personally wish I had gone for AV mines instead.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
So that GamesRocket starter pack code for $8.50, that works in the USA right? This website is all European and it makes me concerned.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If you have a code for the retail edition, it works no matter what. I got mine from an EU source and put the code into my US account and everything worked fine. Pretty sure the SC code also works without issues, so I think any SOE code works no matter where you use it from.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

HJE-Cobra posted:

So that GamesRocket starter pack code for $8.50, that works in the USA right? This website is all European and it makes me concerned.

I got it, am in Canada, worked perfectly. Took about an hour for the code, but it came.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

As a new player, I think it's smarter to hold off on the suit slot until you get at least a few levels in repair/med/ammo/AOE heal. Take a look at how you play, what situations you find yourself in, and go from that. Look for the stuff to make you better at what you like doing best.

One thing I will say is that one rank of C4 isn't going to be enough to be useful against vehicles. It can be fun in infantry combat but I personally wish I had gone for AV mines instead.

Engineers can get two sticks of C4 cheaper than other classes since the first rank of utility pouch (300 certs cheaper than buying rank 2 C4) is one extra C4. It's surprising what you can get away with using safe landing to get the drop on people.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

HJE-Cobra posted:

Not only does it work in the USA, but it's a stellar bargain to boot. I want to say that you can cheese the deal even further by putting the code in on the website and receiving a 7 day boost on every character on your account, but I can't remember if that works here.

(Rule of thumb: always put codes in through the website, you'll be surprised what you're allowed to claim on multiple characters.)

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

o muerte posted:

(Rule of thumb: always put codes in through the website, you'll be surprised what you're allowed to claim on multiple characters.)
Back when they accidentally offered an XP + Resource Heroic Boost I bought it through their website instead and ended up (after opening a ticket) with a Heroic XP/Resource and Heroic XP boost on all four of my characters for the price of a single on-sale Heroic Boost. I also managed to get the NS-11P and platinum Commissioner accountwide by doing that.

Never put codes in in-game. Ever.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I like ASC on my medics, get in a fight kill some dudes sprint away with F activated come back at full health and shield in 4 seconds. You can do that with all the other classes too if you use med kits in your utility, but I run C4 on my medic like a correct person.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

I mean the GD-7F kills faster than the cyclone and is accurate as poo poo with ALS on it so I'm not really seeing how the cyclone is that much better?

The 7F has a bit more DPS on the Cyclone, but the Cyclone wins everything else.

1500 more DPM w/ exmags, cross class, MUCH faster reload, I believe the hipfire on the Cyclone is better both with and without ALS, and of course you move 50% faster while ADSing

The 7F can certainly be lethal, but the MAIN reason players will go with the Cyclone is that the 7F has godawful uptime. That pitiful DPM combined with the RPM and long rear end reload speed mean that it comes down to "always firing" versus "always ducking away to reload"

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Nakar posted:

Back when they accidentally offered an XP + Resource Heroic Boost I bought it through their website instead and ended up (after opening a ticket) with a Heroic XP/Resource and Heroic XP boost on all four of my characters for the price of a single on-sale Heroic Boost. I also managed to get the NS-11P and platinum Commissioner accountwide by doing that.

Never put codes in in-game. Ever.

2nding this. I had claimed the SummerReward gun once in-game, but the site let me claim it again and I think the reward was different?

Also, unlocks apply to factions we don't currently have characters in, yeah?

INKRO
Feb 7, 2012
Welp, finally got that Gamesrocket code as of 2 hours ago after 2 days and 2 emails to support that I guess they just read and didn't respond to. I'll let it slide because it's a good deal and they were swamped I suppose.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
I gave up after they told me to send pictures of my passport or other ID... uhh no thank you. Thankfully cancelling the order was less painful. Tried to play TR for an entire alert mostly in pubbie squads and by the end we had gone from first to last place and I felt like drinking due to the general incompetence. How in the hell do the people who play TR put up with these morons? We had 58% pop at a 3 point base and could not even touch a single point. It took over 15 minutes for them to move from one base to the next for god knows what reason, no wonder they foot zerg it is actually faster compared to waiting for all these morons to pull armor.

INKRO
Feb 7, 2012

Aaod posted:

I gave up after they told me to send pictures of my passport or other ID... uhh no thank you. Thankfully cancelling the order was less painful.

They did that to me too, hence why I sent those emails explaining that my paypal was a verified account so no need for that sort of verification. Of course, I think only one email should have sufficed, but I left my order # out of the first one I sent, which was before I saw that they were requesting those as well. :shrug:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

The 7F has a bit more DPS on the Cyclone, but the Cyclone wins everything else.

This. The 7F is actually (the Compact Burst aside) NC's worst carbine.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

INKRO posted:

They did that to me too, hence why I sent those emails explaining that my paypal was a verified account so no need for that sort of verification. Of course, I think only one email should have sufficed, but I left my order # out of the first one I sent, which was before I saw that they were requesting those as well. :shrug:

Someone is gonna buy a house in botswana with your PP info

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Tempest_56 posted:

Yep. And yet the TR will still moan about the NC having it because look at that RPM and DPS :vince:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Tempest_56 posted:

Indeed. Even with ALS, the bloom on the 7F increases so quickly that the ALS is more or less rendered pointless. The Cyclone, meanwhile, with no laser sight has much less bloom and is overall easier to manage in both ADS and hipfire.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
This is probably a dumb question but with that games rocket code when I use it those sweet golden smgs will be tied to my account and not my characters, right? I don't have a vs alt but if I ever make one it'll be there?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ProfessorGroove posted:

This is probably a dumb question but with that games rocket code when I use it those sweet golden smgs will be tied to my account and not my characters, right? I don't have a vs alt but if I ever make one it'll be there?

No you'll get the VS smg on your NC/TR character :downs:

Yes its accountwide

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

LuiCypher posted:

Indeed. Even with ALS, the bloom on the 7F increases so quickly that the ALS is more or less rendered pointless. The Cyclone, meanwhile, with no laser sight has much less bloom and is overall easier to manage in both ADS and hipfire.
But the GD-7F has high velocity for a carbine! :eng99:

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Mortimer posted:

No you'll get the VS smg on your NC/TR character :downs:

Yes its accountwide

Thanks for the quick answer. I just used my code and it gave me a 7 day 50% boost instead of the 3 that was advertised. Cool.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm a baddie and liked the 7F but recently switched to the x11. Not sure if I like it more or not since I've mostly played driver/gunner engineer and medic lately.

BR52 and still don't have an auraxed gun.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Boogalo posted:

I'm a baddie and liked the 7F but recently switched to the x11. Not sure if I like it more or not since I've mostly played driver/gunner engineer and medic lately.

BR52 and still don't have an auraxed gun.

Razor GD23 is a nice middle ground, and an excellent gun. The reload speed, bullet velocity and accuracy are excellent.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Tempest_56 posted:

I sure to seem to kill a whole fuckin lot of people with it for it being the worst NC carbine. Oh well, I'll buy the Cyclone tomorrow.

I was in the middle of a TR/NC fight at the TR warpgate, and some VS guy snipes me then talks poo poo over yell about it. So I walk back into the area he shot me last, see him and counter-snipe him with the AC-X11, straight up, and talk a little poo poo back and he goes apeshit in chat, threatening to make a vid of him pwning me with his sniper rifle and put it on his youtube channel. So for shits and giggles I check his stats and youtube channel:

Behold, the kind of shitdom:
https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428117870057457729/stats
BR 90, 0.73 KDR, 6.3% infantry accuracy 41% time played as infil

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCRr60OPaEL5a2_2wxSyljw/videos

His youtube videos consist mostly of him shooting stationary people at sunderers, and one bizarre one where he finds someone who is clearly bugged or lagged out and it causes him to make an 8 minute video rant about cheaters with walls of text. Another where some guy texts him "i hope one day we can touch butts" and he posts it as proof of a butthurt tryhard meltdown.

I can only hope I make the video wall :allears:

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I don't understand how someone can play one class for 42 days and not only still be so bad but also be oblivious that they are. I mean he knows what youtube is, hasn't he ever watched someone else play? Maybe he's really young, like under 10 years old.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

ProfessorGroove posted:

I don't understand how someone can play one class for 42 days and not only still be so bad but also be oblivious that they are. I mean he knows what youtube is, hasn't he ever watched someone else play? Maybe he's really young, like under 10 years old.

Hes probably a grown man with a mental handicap of some sort.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

I sure to seem to kill a whole fuckin lot of people with it for it being the worst NC carbine. Oh well, I'll buy the Cyclone tomorrow.

I was in the middle of a TR/NC fight at the TR warpgate, and some VS guy snipes me then talks poo poo over yell about it. So I walk back into the area he shot me last, see him and counter-snipe him with the AC-X11, straight up, and talk a little poo poo back and he goes apeshit in chat, threatening to make a vid of him pwning me with his sniper rifle and put it on his youtube channel. So for shits and giggles I check his stats and youtube channel:

His youtube videos consist mostly of him shooting stationary people at sunderers, and one bizarre one where he finds someone who is clearly bugged or lagged out and it causes him to make an 8 minute video rant about cheaters with walls of text. Another where some guy texts him "i hope one day we can touch butts" and he posts it as proof of a butthurt tryhard meltdown.

I have made some dumb videos that contain nothing worth actually recording but goddamn. An 11 minute video that contains 9 kills as an infil.

By some I mean all.

VideoGameReference
Jun 18, 2013

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I have made some dumb videos that contain nothing worth actually recording but goddamn. An 11 minute video that contains 9 kills as an infil.

By some I mean all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_REBBqXpqsk

I raise you a 4-minute video with *no* kills *and* a wall of text description both blasting the implant system and claiming ejecting from a scythe onto a radio tower is a HIGH RISK HIGH REWARD maneuver.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Fart Car '97 posted:

YESSSSSS COMMANDER2X! This guy is my fav, every time I see him use orders I issue a counter-orders wherein I mention his stats and how bad+dumb he is, and then just watch the meltdown. He made a video of my where I offered to get gay with him: "GAKU Desideratus - The butthurt stat nerd". Nobody in VS command chat likes him either, and apparently most of the Waterson crowd have him on ignore! I can post more screens of our convos if anyone cares~

Here's the video description, if you don't wanna click the link:

Commander2x posted:

"C'mon cutie lets get naked and touch weiners." - (GAKU) Desideratus

Apparently having fun in a videogame is NOT as amusing as rage telling people with nerdy comments with gay innuendo attached.

GOKU outfit a.k.a. GAKU (gay-ku), is known for nerd gank/rage telling normal gamers, for telling certain members of GOKU to chill and have fun. Only after the fact that they will sit there and call everyone who's NOT doing what they are doing "dimwits" or "#waterscrubs". Not all members of GOKU are like this, apparently its just the "Leadership" that feel a need to wildly overcompensate for their obvious insecurities and phobias. They must not know how to have fun, to get so mad at the thought of actually having fun... Tragic. xD

In my book, games were meant to be played for fun/entertainment and to be enjoyed by all participants...

GAKU's book is full of nerd stat nonsense and pages glued together by Komrade's anal lube and Desiteratus's sperm/saliva.

I can see now why we differ as gamers and as people.

Thanks for watching and remember "If you're not havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong." - Commander2x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

quote:

Ejected out of my scythe onto this tower to snipe at the only decent battle on the map - not surprisingly B.E.L. ofc. These were the skills necessary to accomplish feats and obstacles that most would pass up either by redeploying or just straight suiciding, BEFORE the Implant system came to pass.

Now we have the advantage of Safe Fall (Implant) for the fun-hearted or the non-ninjas.

You don't need Implants for everything, use the power of your mind and THINK about a strategy that will help you overcome the obstacle or situation. This is what the human mind was meant to do, too bad SOE would rather you be mindless drones PAYING for sht you can easily think to do yourself.

For those who choose the "all skill or no thrill" style of gameplay this video was meant to make you smile. I also found, whilst playing PlanetSide 2, that if there is No skill involved I will encounter No thrill, effectively downgrading my gameplay/entertainment level.

Sometimes you just gotta trial and error, till you get it right. Thats what sets the skilled players/individuals above the rest!

Good Luck Ninjas! and Happy Hunting!

Commander2x

Desideratus posted:

YESSSSSS COMMANDER2X! This guy is my fav, every time I see him use orders I issue a counter-orders wherein I mention his stats and how bad+dumb he is, and then just watch the meltdown. He made a video of my where I offered to get gay with him: "GAKU Desideratus - The butthurt stat nerd". Nobody in VS command chat likes him either, and apparently most of the Waterson crowd have him on ignore! I can post more screens of our convos if anyone cares~

Here's the video description, if you don't wanna click the link:

Hahahah that's you I mentioned then.

• Locked thread