Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Supernorn posted:

It really takes zero effort to look at the website and see the daily news updates. That would be the first thing I'd do if I wanted to check up on a game in development, but maybe that's just me expecting too much out of people. There's only so much we can do.

I don't want to read updates I want to play the damned game. Telling us what's going on is time that could have been spent writing code.

Of course, if there were no updates it would be different. More like hey why are there no updates? Are you even still working on the game? You're just taking the money and running, aren't you?

This is seriously an entire class of person whose response to pretty much everything is to look at it and ask themselves "how can I somehow make this wrong?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Speaking of the nightlies, how do you progress once you mine the core ore? Outposts aren't in yet, and I can't build the metalsmithing table or whatever it is since I think you need that part from beating the old UFO penguin guy?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Telling us what's going on is time that could have been spent writing code.
Man it's uncanny how often that one shows up. God forbid any developer/artist tweet that they're catching up on game of thrones, or playing some other game, or going to sleep. How dare you waste precious potential development time.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AceClown posted:

I think I've said this before but I'm massively disappointed in this game from what it's delivered so far and what it could be and the time frames do look like nothing has happened with it for the longest time. (this is from a casual observer who logs in to the game via steam now and then to see if the game got good)

However I'm not going to sperg out on the devs as it's just something that happens sometimes and it's not like buying it has bankrupted me or any of that silly poo poo. The only negative outcome really is that I'm probably not going to buy another early access game and that does hurt developers.

If you were actually bothered by this wouldn't you just check the website? I mean, this crosses my mind about all sorts of games, and if it's anything more than a fleeting thought I just load up their website to find out when the next piece of content is coming out or what they're working on. I don't think I've ever assumed that the entire story about a game's development is in the patch log for the stable branch of the game.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Vib Rib posted:

Man it's uncanny how often that one shows up. God forbid any developer/artist tweet that they're catching up on game of thrones, or playing some other game, or going to sleep. How dare you waste precious potential development time.

It's not like playing/watching/reading isn't helpful for development stuff anyways. Having downtime activities inspire you is a happy side effect. You're literally going to be a more effective developer with proper time management (whatever that is for you) than burning yourself out banging out stories/art/code. Which is what makes those people's ideas all the more baffling.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Chalks posted:

If you were actually bothered by this wouldn't you just check the website? I mean, this crosses my mind about all sorts of games, and if it's anything more than a fleeting thought I just load up their website to find out when the next piece of content is coming out or what they're working on. I don't think I've ever assumed that the entire story about a game's development is in the patch log for the stable branch of the game.

But that takes EFFORT away from the campaign to bring Chucklefish down for tax evasion.

Why must you needlessly complicate this, Chalks? :mad:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Check a website? What do I look like, someone who DOES things?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Just zip it and compute those GUI Interfaces so I can get my GODDAMN GAME.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

As a self described idea guy I

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

OneTwentySix posted:

Speaking of the nightlies, how do you progress once you mine the core ore? Outposts aren't in yet, and I can't build the metalsmithing table or whatever it is since I think you need that part from beating the old UFO penguin guy?

Bosses aren't in nightlies and the core fragment ore itself qualifies for making your ship go zoom in its star system again.

You still need a thousand pixels and the gate (which is the only thing in the system that looks like an outpost right now) is still inert because the gate scripts aren't active.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

How do I make anything with any of the higher ores, though - I don't see any workbenches where I could do anything with them.

Edit: Completely missed the iron crafting table somehow!

OneTwentySix fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 5, 2014

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

As a self described idea guy I

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-14-lottery-winner-takes-to-kickstarter-to-fund-pie-in-the-sky-mmo

'Cause making games is easy!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I don't really understand people that say the stable build is lacking in content. My friends and I got back into this recently and dropped like 20 hours into it so far and we've just made it to the second tier of ore. I mean I guess if you don't see the appeal in minecraft and building awesome poo poo and just want to burn through content as quickly as possible...

I do think there are some serious issues with the game's pacing at this point but I definitely don't see lack of content as one of them :shrug:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Please tell me this is a joke article, I need to know it's not real for my sanity.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ColHannibal posted:

Please tell me this is a joke article, I need to know it's not real for my sanity.

Nope, his kickstarter failed miserably. There were 2 $10,000 donations and a few $5 ones. I am sure the big donations were from himself.

Edit: Found it: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/120873716/your-world/

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 5, 2014

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Ragequit posted:

Nope, his kickstarter failed miserably. There were 2 $10,000 donations and a few $5 ones. I am sure the big donations were from himself.

Reminds me when drug dealers used a kickstarter and several fake facebook accounts to launder something like half a million dollars. Must've been, what, two years ago?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I just don't get the people that complain about things like "I played this for 30 hours, maxed everything, saw all the planets... What next chuckle fish?!" I mean, if Starbound never received another update, I've probably had 100+ hours of enjoyment out of this game. That's the best 15 bucks I've spent.

People did it with Terraria, too. Hell I knew a guy that was trying to be salty about Terraria stopping free updates after a year. Fortunately I berated him for being a lovely person until he realized the error of his ways but still. These are the same people that will buy Shoot Mans: Call of Battlefield 2014 in a horribly broken state, get a 5 hour campaign and some multi-player for 60 bucks. Where is the disconnect?

Mine craft has a lovely community, but it's mostly in the modding scene. Sure there were/are dumb things during the development phase but by and large I haven't seen the same kind of venom there that I do here. I wonder if a lot to do with it is that there isn't a ton of moderation. It's fine to provide feedback, but for Christ's sake just start banning the hell out of people that lack the ability to articulate without doing/saying incredibly vapid, stupid poo poo. This never happened in those communities. No one was out into a corner so that slowly started becoming the ever lowering bar.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

WarpedNaba posted:

Reminds me when drug dealers used a kickstarter and several fake facebook accounts to launder something like half a million dollars. Must've been, what, two years ago?

I don't remember this at all, and I'm having trouble googling for it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Huh, I remember it was pretty big back when. I'm having trouble finding it myself.

I remember that what busted them was that they basically nabbed a few pictures from facebook and used them all on the same fake accounts.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Saxophone posted:

These are the same people that will buy Shoot Mans: Call of Battlefield 2014 in a horribly broken state, get a 5 hour campaign and some multi-player for 60 bucks. Where is the disconnect?
For some reason, indie games and especially sandbox games are expected to stay entertaining forever, infinitely.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yeah, I know personally I got a lot of fun out of the game in its current state, but I'm even more excited about the planned features! I seriously can't wait to max out my ship size and start decorating it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

GreyPowerVan posted:

No, the Minecraft modding community is generally much much worse.

Minecraft modding got really dodgy once money was involved

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Shoehead posted:

A bunch of the servers are really dodgy too.

"Subscribe for $9.99/mo to get access to mining diamond blocks!"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

A bunch of the servers are really dodgy too.

"Subscribe for $9.99/mo to get access to mining diamond blocks!"

:10bux: a month? That's it? That's cute. :allears:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ten dollars just to play on a Minecraft server who would pa- Oh eh... Carry on :sweatdrop:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

For some reason, indie games and especially sandbox games are expected to stay entertaining forever, infinitely.

The problem for me is that minecraft actually is, or should I say, has been for the last 5 years and I can't see myself getting bored with it any time soon.

That's not a dig at CF by any stretch, it's their game to do with as they please.

It's just frustrating that in 2014 we don't yet have that next gen killer sandbox game that doesn't run like poo poo. I'd have a good guess that there are a lot of people itching for the next Minecraft and it's just not happening.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shoehead posted:

Ten dollars just to play on a Minecraft server who would pa- Oh eh... Carry on :sweatdrop:

Some of the ridiculous poo poo I've seen would blow people's minds. 500 bucks to guarantee a "weekly stipend of diamonds", special commands that only you can use, diplomatic immunity to the "don't blow up other peoples' poo poo" rules, etc.

Minecraft is a special, distilled sort of stupid. The drama around Starbound is like the raw version of that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
This one time this guy was telling me how he paid money to post on a web forum and I was like "ha you loving idiot"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shoehead posted:

Wasn't there some kind of dispute because people were setting up mod links on bit.ly (or other pay per click websites) to generate cash from downloads?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

Wasn't there some kind of dispute because people were setting up mod links on bit.ly (or other pay per click websites) to generate cash from downloads?

It was Adfly, people were rightly packaging up the mods and distributing them via easy to install files to make things easier (technic pack mainly) and this caused no end of meltdowns because people were missing out on their precious Adfly pennies.

And it was literally pennies too.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

They still almost all use ad.fly by default. Even if you go to a MC modding database type site, the links will usually run you through adfly. I blame Mojang 100% for this though, since they never nipped it in the bud and put their foot down.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

How exactly do I go about using unstable builds?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Yes, currently its in a kind of gray area with Mojang right now. Mojang has recently decided, because of the stupid server stuff that is going on as mentioned above, to actually actively start enforcing their EULA starting August 1st. Right now they are enforcing the current EULA that has been around for a while that strictly prohibits sales on a lot of things, but with a few exceptions which are detailed here and here. While this was mostly pointed at servers, it did bring mods back under the spotlight. Selling your mods is prohibited under the EULA, but people can pay you for your time to develop a mod for them as a commission. Things like patreon and a paypal donation link are fine, while things like ad-links like bit.ly are still going through consideration, though I suspect it will lead to an enforcement of it being fine as long as there is always an direct download option as modders are trying to claim that bit.ly and adf.ly are a form of donation.

I think all the fuss about the current stable update rate of SB is hilarious. I'd rather them take their sweet time and get all this stuff, which a lot of it seems to be major revisions, done now then have a less optimal 1.0 release that might take years to fix. I mean, lets look at MC right now. It is currently developing patch 1.8 which contains rewrites to rendering, process threading, AI, lighting, etc etc. Like everything to do with their engine has probably been dicked with in order to either replace the spaghetti code Notch originally wrote with something that is at least slightly optimized or to make things that were hardcoded no longer so. Compared to other updates, the 1.8 update contains very few things in terms of actual content (though there is some neat stuff included, just not as other updates).

This update is currently been in the works for 208 days with the last stable release being on October 25th 2013 and unlike the nightlies that Chucklefish does, Mojang only releases a weekly snapshot build.

So maybe its because I'm used to a "lower bar" because of the MC Devs, but seeing that Chucklefish is releasing daily information showing that they are doing something and is releasing daily updates, to me they are doing fine. I really don't loving understand the mindset of not counting the nightlies as actually updating the game because its not in the stable branch. You're playing a beta, you don't expect stable patches during a beta, if patches were always stable then you really are not in a beta setup anymore. And even outside of a beta, Chucklefish is still doing fine progress with a lot of the rewrites they are doing, I have no idea what they are trying to compare SB's development to.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 5, 2014

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Almost the entire minecraft modding community still does stuff like this on websites like that.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

How exactly do I go about using unstable builds?

Right click the game in your Steam Library - Properties - Betas - Select the build you want.

Just be warned that you'll need to download 600 MB or so every time you switch between stable / nightly.
( also, remember to delete players, the .config and your universe, and/or back them up. )

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't want to read updates I want to play the damned game. Telling us what's going on is time that could have been spent writing code.

Of course, if there were no updates it would be different. More like hey why are there no updates? Are you even still working on the game? You're just taking the money and running, aren't you?

This is seriously an entire class of person whose response to pretty much everything is to look at it and ask themselves "how can I somehow make this wrong?"

I know you're being sarcastic but I'm willing to bet there are people who actually believe this :allears:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So I started a new character on nightly and all the mobs on my starting planet two show me yay! What was the command for godmode again?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It changed at least once, and I'd rather just link the admin command list.

And yeah, nightly's volatile enough (and not necessarily consistent enough to play progress) that cheating's necessary just to get back up to speed.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Xun posted:

So I started a new character on nightly and all the mobs on my starting planet two show me yay! What was the command for godmode again?

That's generally how a new planet goes until you get armor. Don't get hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Magmarashi posted:

Don't want to bum you out or anything here, but knowing a few female game devs myself thanks to a friend, it has all been par for the course. The sheer volume is considerably more because she's a public face on a much bigger project than they work on, but It's the same sort of abuse from the same sorts of people.

She should carry a tazer or whatever self-defense items are allowed In Ye Olde, being stalked and harassed in real life is a loving thing that's going to be a concern.

Female devs get poo poo/creeped on by gamers and whether they're competent or not doesn't matter because "HOLY gently caress A GURL MAKIN MY GAME GIT IN KITCHEN LOLOL" is the pinnacle of comedy to these people. If you really want to get depressed look at how female coplayers get treated at conventions if they wear sexy or revealing costumes.

Devour or Fire posted:

Maybe the would get less heat if they had better PR, or at least somebody who can convince them not to melt down on twitter/reddit when they get really sad.

You know nothing about PR and community relations if you think this. Even when excluding the people who scream loudly because they're extremely passionate about a game, there is no shortage of people just being self-centered assholes and while you can argue for ignoring them. Sometimes a mod really does need to step in, put people in their place, and tell everyone to calm the gently caress down.

The best part about reading video game complaints like those on the Starbound forums it that it shows the people complaining have never worked in the industry and likely haven't coded in any capacity. I loathe coding and find it to be unfun even though getting something to work can feel satisfying things that look simple in a game can be a nightmare, especially if they touch a bunch of other things and could break something else when you tweak it and oh god why are NPCs floating and have no eyes all I did was change this thing over here for a lighting effect. :gonk:

I hope that Stardew Valley is as SNES-era Harvest Moon levels of fun (with co-op!) that it looks like. I already know Starbound's shaping up to be amazing.

• Locked thread