Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Catts posted:

Started my first (real) playthrough of FF12, decided to take a look at what chests I need to ignore for the Zodiac whatever because I've heard that's a problem.

Less than an hour into the game and it turns out I already broke it.

:fuckoff: squeenix

It's been years but from what I remember the Zodiac spear wasn't that great. Massive damage but it hardly ever hits multiple times, so it peaks pretty early.

On the other hand, I remember the "better" ones requiring a godawful bazaar grind. Grabbing the Zodiac takes like 15 minutes.

I have no idea what they were thinking, the guide revenue can't be that lucrative since most people wouldn't even know it existed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I've said it before, maybe not in this thread though, but I'm pretty convinced that most of the insane hoop-jumping needed for the free non-RNG manipulated Zodiac Spear is just a bizarre glitch that wasn't caught. The only one that really makes sense is the Phon Coast one, since that one is in a mirror image of the Necrohol's layout. That was probably the only chest that was meant to trick you out of it, but the other 3 just ended up with the same flag by accident.

...Besides, at least its not as bad as at least one chest in the International remake being straight up invisible and in a place you would never think to try and check anyway.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Catts posted:

Started my first (real) playthrough of FF12, decided to take a look at what chests I need to ignore for the Zodiac whatever because I've heard that's a problem.

Less than an hour into the game and it turns out I already broke it.

:fuckoff: squeenix

Yeah, but even getting the Zodiac Spear requires you to go way out of your way in a really hard dungeon (at least at the earliest available time to get it) so... unless it's really important to you, I'd just skip it. It's not a world-beater.

FFXII was such a joy to play. I wish I could play it again, blind. Or without having to get a PS2 again.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dragonatrix posted:

...Besides, at least its not as bad as at least one chest in the International remake being straight up invisible and in a place you would never think to try and check anyway.
Sorry, which of the invisible chests with ultimate weapons do you mean?

(Assuming it's the one that's like 1% to spawn on the deck of the airship. gently caress that one.)

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Is anything in 12 even hard enough to need the Zodiac Spear? FF isn't exactly the hardest series, is it just a completionism thing?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Sorry, which of the invisible chests with ultimate weapons do you mean?

(Assuming it's the one that's like 1% to spawn on the deck of the airship. gently caress that one.)

Yeah, it was the one on the non-Strahl airship that you have no reason to ever go on outside of like one hunt I was thinking of. Which thinking about it some more is even sillier. It's an insanely unlikely chest to appear, that you can't see when it does.

And the... bow, I think it is, that you want from it doesn't even have a model either. That's just a cavalcade of dumb gently caress ups really.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

Is anything in 12 even hard enough to need the Zodiac Spear? FF isn't exactly the hardest series, is it just a completionism thing?

Well FF12 has a boss with like 90 million health and you can only do a maximum of 10k per hit. Katanas and other multihitting things are much better.

poo poo takes like 2 hours to kill.

Kild fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 4, 2014

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I've heard all about that, but I've also heard it relies on a very specific gimmick setup that doesn't even use the weapons.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dragonatrix posted:

And the... bow, I think it is, that you want from it doesn't even have a model either. That's just a cavalcade of dumb gently caress ups really.
That's not even a fuckup. They deliberately made all those ultimate weapons have no sprite. That's beyond fuckup, that's just someone really dumb high in the chain of command!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

All JRPGs are good.

Except Ni no Kuni.

Last Celebration posted:

Star Ocean 4 3?

Fixed that for you.

May Till the End of Time rot along with all those ET cartridges.

thetoughestbean posted:

If a segway from Suikoden II is allowed, I'd like to raise a question:

What makes a JRPG, or any RPG, "good"? A better phrasing probably is "what makes a good RPG?"

I love the first six Final Fantasies, with III and V being my favorites because I like the job systems, FFTA2 is honestly my favorite game ever, and I played through Bravely Default twice without playing other games in between. However, I can't put my finger on why they appeal to me so much beyond the joy managing to get my numbers high enough to beat the final boss.

For me, my "priorities" in games are these:
Story/Characters
Music
Gameplay
Graphics
Voice-Acting (if applicable)

This list applies to pretty much all games I play, JRPGs or Fighting Games or whatever else. (yes, I do play fighting games for the story sometimes)

I can certainly get behind a game with poor writing as long as the gameplay is fun and addictive but I'd never cite that game as one of my favorites. Contrast with my darling Xenogears or even the Legacy of Kain games for a non-RPG example. You don't play those games for the gameplay, you play them for the writing. Whether it's worlbuilding or character development, something about the narrative sucks you in so you can forgive the other flaws in the game.

I also can't stress enough how much a good game soundtrack can help either, at least in my case. A scene that otherwise might only have been decent can become unforgettable with the right music and direction. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean became one of my favorite JRPGs largely because of the music. It was my first exposure to Motoi Sakuraba and while I can see why his style would grow repetitive if you've heard a lot of stuff by him, it was amazingly different from what I had mostly heard up to that point. (which was good but Sakuraba has a style most distinct from Mitsuda, Uematsu and others)

Still need to play Valkyrie Profile and hear his best work ever... loving rare games. Maybe I'll ask for a PSP for my birthday or something and play the version of VP on there. Of course that's still a couple of months away but I guess I'll see.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 4, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That's not even a fuckup. They deliberately made all those ultimate weapons have no sprite. That's beyond fuckup, that's just someone really dumb high in the chain of command!

:psyduck: What? Why would... why!?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lotish posted:

:psyduck: What? Why would... why!?
I wish I knew. Here's the first random Yiazmat fight I found on youtube. Balthier is wielding the bow we're talking about, while Ashe has the invisible... sword? Probably the knife, actually, I seem to recall Hunter's Blade F being the most in demand and also dropping from that gently caress Larva Eater.

There's one of each type, and they have the same name as one of the best weapons in that category but with an extra letter at the end, and the letters spell FINAL FANTASY. You can't make this poo poo up.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I wish I knew. Here's the first random Yiazmat fight I found on youtube. Balthier is wielding the bow we're talking about, while Ashe has the invisible... sword? Probably the knife, actually, I seem to recall Hunter's Blade F being the most in demand and also dropping from that gently caress Larva Eater.

There's one of each type, and they have the same name as one of the best weapons in that category but with an extra letter at the end, and the letters spell FINAL FANTASY. You can't make this poo poo up.

The invisible weapons are not the weapons that spell Final Fantasy, those are completely different. The invisible sword Ashe is using in that video is the Trango Tower.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I think the invisible weapons were just neat bonus things the IZJS dudes put in for shits and giggles.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mill Village posted:

The invisible weapons are not the weapons that spell Final Fantasy, those are completely different. The invisible sword Ashe is using in that video is the Trango Tower.
...Right. It's been too long. My bad!

They had two completely different ridiculous ideas :v:

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
I'm near the end of Radiant Historia, and it's pretty hilarious how much the game doesn't want you to use Eruca. When she first joins, she just doesn't have a whole lot to offer to the party and is dead weight. Later on with some level, she still doesn't have a whole lot to actually contribute that the other characters can do better unless you get her two hilariously broken sounding bonus skills. Beyond that, she isn't allowed in your party for most of the Alternate History chapters and is forced out of the party for the final dungeon of each timeline. It's just silly at this point.

Forest Thief Pud fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 4, 2014

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Forest Thief Pud posted:

I'm near the end of Radiant Historia, and it's pretty hilarious how much the game doesn't want you to use Eruca. When she first joing, she just doesn't have a whole lot to offer to the party and is dead weight. Later on with some level, she still doesn't have a whole lot to actually contribute that the other characters can do better unless you get her two hilariously broken sounding bonus skills. Beyond that, she isn't allowed in your party for most of the Alternate History chapters and is forced out of the party for the final dungeon of each timeline. It's just silly at this point.

Yeah, Eruca's really good in the late game if you bother to level her up, but you have to go out of your way to do so, and given that you can break most of the game with just Aht there's not a lot of motivation to focus on other characters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The optional super boss kind of needs Eruca if I remember correctly, but beyond that yeah she's kind of useless.

I've put a lot of time into Valkyria Chronicles 3, and even though I'm probably nowhere near the end I figured I'd comment a bit on it.

-The translation is absolutely pathetic from a technical perspective. I understand that VC3 E2 is apparently very difficult to work with thanks to its encryption or something but it's still astounding the degree to which it falls apart. Tons of dialogue balloons that are blank or have the text roll over improperly; there are even some that appear to be just gibberish. I just hope the project hasn't been abandoned so that they give it some semblance of QC as a follow-up.

-Gunners are absolutely useless. Maybe they get a better loadout or something later on, but where I am now (chapter 6) they can't kill anything. It is only under specific circumstances (a lot of enemies crowding around the front of a camp) that I could see them being useful. Shocktroopers remain the best camp defenders in my opinion. Hopefully they'll be better as Veterans or Elites, but when they can't kill anything it's really hard to get them to level up.

-Just what are the Training level limits? I'm about to hit 20 for Durability/Accuracy/Evasion and I don't think I'm done there, and Personnel/Armored/Defense/Ailments are getting so prohibitively expensive it feels like the game is telling me not to bother anymore. Is it something dumb like 99 for each and you're just supposed to go as far as you can?

-Earlier I asked whether it would be OK if I could ignore Engineers. Completely irrelevant, because I got so obsessed with unlocking fragments and potentials that I wound up turning them into Elites anyway. I'll probably never actually use them in battle but oh well.

-I still hate the small maps. I still hate having such small troop limits. It feels so cramped :( If the PSP wasn't beefy enough to handle VC1's approach then frankly it shouldn't have been a PSP game.

All in all it's the sequel we should've gotten from the beginning. Don't bother with VC2, just jump in with this. Yes some VC2 characters make cameos but who caaaaaaaares they still suck.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Forest Thief Pud posted:

I'm near the end of Radiant Historia, and it's pretty hilarious how much the game doesn't want you to use Eruca. When she first joins, she just doesn't have a whole lot to offer to the party and is dead weight. Later on with some level, she still doesn't have a whole lot to actually contribute that the other characters can do better unless you get her two hilariously broken sounding bonus skills. Beyond that, she isn't allowed in your party for most of the Alternate History chapters and is forced out of the party for the final dungeon of each timeline. It's just silly at this point.

What are you gonna do? Use Raynie and Marco? Psh. Only chumps use those idiots. Rosch and Gafka 4 Lyfe!

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Nate RFB posted:

-Gunners are absolutely useless. Maybe they get a better loadout or something later on, but where I am now (chapter 6) they can't kill anything. It is only under specific circumstances (a lot of enemies crowding around the front of a camp) that I could see them being useful. Shocktroopers remain the best camp defenders in my opinion. Hopefully they'll be better as Veterans or Elites, but when they can't kill anything it's really hard to get them to level up.

Not sure if they changed it in VC3, but in VC2 Gunners were best used for defending flags and not much else. They had something like double to triple the ammo capacity over a shock-trooper/commando, so when you parked them at some sandbags by a defenceless flag they would mow down practically every type of infantry unit who would attempt to cap, simply because of the amount of ammo they pump into a single approaching unit. So it's strange to me that you find Shocktroopers to be a better base defender, maybe something changed in VC3. I would usually never deploy my Gunner at the start of a map, but instead bring her/him in temporarily to defend a flag, and when the coast is clear send the Gunner back to base.

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 4, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No, I used them in the same capacity (plop them down next to sandbags inside of a camp) in VC2 and I don't remember them being this weak either. They just can't kill anything! The only way they seem to do any good damage is with intercepting fire, but enemies in this game seem smart enough that if they loop around a base rather than come at it straight that they will avoid most of it. So they have to rely on their counters, but with such a huge spread they only hit enemies with maybe 4 bullets. With Shocktroopers at least their counters are almost guaranteed to kill anything since they focus on a single target.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

alcharagia posted:

What are you gonna do? Use Raynie and Marco? Psh. Only chumps use those idiots. Rosch and Gafka 4 Lyfe!

They were my final battle team and it was a pretty easy fight as a result. They're pretty loving great, it's basically a perfect combo if you don't want to try and get fancy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Or you can just use Aht and a pusher (Gafka?) and murder everyone forever.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The White Dragon posted:

Or you can just use Aht and a pusher (Gafka?) and murder everyone forever.

It's been a while since I've played, but isn't Aht super useless in the last fight because it's a 3x3 fight and thus she can't use her stupidly powerful traps? I think she can heal and increase Combo counter with her knife dance thing, but she sure isn't doing damage.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
So re: FF12, can someone explain this Highlander poo poo to me without going into spoilery detail? I feel like I'm missing out on a bunch of stuff on the sphere license grid because I don't want to permanently poo poo up this playthrough any worse than I have already. It seems like the designers of this game get a chubby whenever a player makes a bad choice that they can't revert.

On a similar note, what's with all the floating licenses on the edges of the job grids? I assume I get some kind of bridge(s) later on to reach these? I'm afraid to delve into the internet wilds for the info because I'm one of the dozen JRPG fans who didn't play this game when it was released and would like to stay away from another Aeris dies scenario.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Catts posted:

So re: FF12, can someone explain this Highlander poo poo to me without going into spoilery detail? I feel like I'm missing out on a bunch of stuff on the sphere license grid because I don't want to permanently poo poo up this playthrough any worse than I have already. It seems like the designers of this game get a chubby whenever a player makes a bad choice that they can't revert.

On a similar note, what's with all the floating licenses on the edges of the job grids? I assume I get some kind of bridge(s) later on to reach these? I'm afraid to delve into the internet wilds for the info because I'm one of the dozen JRPG fans who didn't play this game when it was released and would like to stay away from another Aeris dies scenario.

Don't remember what you mean by Highlander. You get a lot of license points throughout the game, it's pretty safe to keep buying from the "buffs" side of things and only get equipment licenses when you find something that requires them.

Money's really scarce for a while, but you can farm plenty if you find areas with nothing but one monster type to chain. There's an area not far in at all where you can grind skeletons, and a forest about halfway through (with wolves iirc) that's a lot more lucrative.

There are grimoires that change the loot table for monster types. I don't remember noticing if they made any difference, though.

The FF12 equivalent of limit breaks are on the grid, but I don't think they appear until you hit a certain point. You should grab those as soon as you can, since each one you grab adds a mana bar.

I wouldn't worry too much about spoilers, the plot's pretty much nonsense. Nothing you read will mean anything

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Catts posted:

I'm assuming IZJS and not vanilla, from the questions about the floating licenses! When you get summons, those appear on the grid, and each one will bridge to one or two of those floating tiles. Some classes really benefit from some summons, while for others they're straight-up useless. You'll literally never use them for actual summoning, so go with whatever gives you the best of options.

e: also, thankfully, they fixed the stupid "limit breaks give you more MP bars" thing, you just get a lot more MP as you level, so you don't have to rush for those - but they can be useful to burn down bosses that do things at low percentage of HP. Like a certain piece of poo poo hunt who turns invincible repeatedly!

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm assuming IZJS and not vanilla, from the questions about the floating licenses! When you get summons, those appear on the grid, and each one will bridge to one or two of those floating tiles. Some classes really benefit from some summons, while for others they're straight-up useless. You'll literally never use them for actual summoning, so go with whatever gives you the best of options.

e: also, thankfully, they fixed the stupid "limit breaks give you more MP bars" thing, you just get a lot more MP as you level, so you don't have to rush for those - but they can be useful to burn down bosses that do things at low percentage of HP. Like a certain piece of poo poo hunt who turns invincible repeatedly!

Yeah I should've mentioned IZJS, sorry. These Quickening things the game is telling me about, I'm assuming they're limit breaks? It's warning me that only one character can learn each square but since all of my dudes are different classes, I'm assuming that doesn't matter?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Catts posted:

Yeah I should've mentioned IZJS, sorry. These Quickening things the game is telling me about, I'm assuming they're limit breaks? It's warning me that only one character can learn each square but since all of my dudes are different classes, I'm assuming that doesn't matter?

With quickenings yes, your mostly safe, however you can only take three and IIRC most boards have four.

Summons are one per character though. Only one character can take Belias, Only one can take Mateus, etc.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

With quickenings yes, your mostly safe, however you can only take three and IIRC most boards have four.

Summons are one per character though. Only one character can take Belias, Only one can take Mateus, etc.

Are there four different Quickenings per board or only four slots so you can only take three and haha eat poo poo you missed out on 500 hp?

The level of inane poo poo in this game so far is hurting my head.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can tell they were coming off of the MMO FF11 when they made 12, a lot of the system are way more obtuse than anything else in the series.

Actually, I guess it's more likely Matsuno's fault, since Vagrant Story was also a mess of poorly explained mechanics.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 6, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

If a segway from Suikoden II is allowed, I'd like to raise a question:

What makes a JRPG, or any RPG, "good"? A better phrasing probably is "what makes a good RPG?"

I love the first six Final Fantasies, with III and V being my favorites because I like the job systems, FFTA2 is honestly my favorite game ever, and I played through Bravely Default twice without playing other games in between. However, I can't put my finger on why they appeal to me so much beyond the joy managing to get my numbers high enough to beat the final boss.

I have to quote Tom Francis on "What Makes Games Good" for this. RPGs usually embody a sense of Promise, more so than any other genre. Story has its place but I've found myself far more interested in a game's mechanics than anything else. I've played games I hated to the end (Wild Arms 3 and Dark Cloud instantly come to mind) because I enjoy the systems in place and genuinely want to acquire the next level or stat point so I can tweak my character further. God drat you if you have even the most rudimentary random loot system in place, I will probably buy and complete your game because I'm like a baby in a ball pit when it comes to character load outs.

Second to Promise are the games that evoke a sense of PLace. I love Ni no Kuni, Planescape: Torment, Persona, and Dragon Quest 8 despite being mechanically broken or simplistic games they have a wonderfully realized world and my goal is to see every new level or event. Valkyrie Profile evoked Fantasy, what other game lets you be the herald of the apocalypse, collecting deceased warriors for your army? CRPGs like Dinivity: Original Sin and Ultima 7 embody a sense of Freedom that few games have.

Sakurazuka posted:

You can tell they were coming off of the MMO FF11 when they made 12, a lot of the system are way more obtuse than anything else in the series.

Actually, I guess it's more likely Matsuno's fault, since Vagrant Story was also a mess of poorly explained mechanics.

Matsuno probably had nothing to do with the game's design beyond creating Ivalice. I thought it was pretty clear that he washed his hands of the project early on.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Wasn't it Kawazu that took over after Matsuno left?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Playing through Lunar Silver Star Story (PS1 version) and I absolutely love how your party members will respond to what even minor NPC characters say, which is actually pretty unusual in most RPGs I've played. Usually either the NPC will say something and there will be no response at all, or any response just comes from the main player character.

Trails From the Sky also did this, which is what I think helped that game and Lunar have such memorable characters.

What other RPGs do this?

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 9, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Dragon Quest 4-8 onward have party chat which lets your party react to every NPC and event in the game. The English DS version of 4 is missing it though, though apparently the IOS/Android version added it back in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

Playing through Lunar Silver Star Story (PS1 version) and I absolutely love how your party members will respond to what even minor NPC characters say, which is actually pretty unusual in most RPGs I've played. Usually either the NPC will say something and there will be no response at all, or any response just comes from the main player character.

Trails From the Sky also did this, which is what I think helped that game and Lunar have such memorable characters.

What other RPGs do this?
The Tales series doesn't have reactions to random NPCs but it does have lots of random conversations about nothing between the party members, which sort of bring about the same effect of expanding their characterization.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Party members chime in every now and then in Xenoblade, though they reuse a lot of them. I think there were a few unique responses for some NPCs though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

What other RPGs do this?

Grandia 1 and 2 did it. They were made by the same developers as the Lunar series too, go check them out.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh man, I started up Rorona Plus after beating Escha & Logy, and I already miss E&L's alchemy system. It was much more intuitive and easy to use, not to mention a lot better explained. Amazing what a few iterations of a game can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bussamove posted:

Oh man, I started up Rorona Plus after beating Escha & Logy, and I already miss E&L's alchemy system. It was much more intuitive and easy to use, not to mention a lot better explained. Amazing what a few iterations of a game can do.

Yeah, E&L's alchemy system was so fun even if it was easy to break. The older alchemy system gets better once you have a bit of practice with it but it just isn't as fun.