Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I've been putting off doing this post for a long time, But since I have literally nothing else to do right now, I'm going ahead and doing it now. 7gig firefall update is killing me.
---------

Infantry play got you down? Tired of being fodder for your platoon? Do you suck at FPS's as much as Alb? Just want to click heads and see certs? Want to play planetside2: easy edition?
Well then, Alb presents to you: Tree - OPs For the teamwork-hating, hide-and-seek / dishonourable-camper enthusiast!
This guide is for teaching interested goons on how to properly set up personal treecamps and decimating entire squads all by yourself!

:bubblewoop:TREE-OPS GUIDE:bubblewoop:

Tree-ops Fashion:
Most goons would say that camo in planetside has little to no effect in how visible you are. However, this is not the case for what we're doing. The effectiveness of this playstyle is heavily dependent on how well you can hide. Usually in trees or anywhere outside the average pubbies field of view:

When you do somehow end up in their field of view, you're going to want them to think that you're just a bunch of leaves or something. Definitely not a bad guy ready to shoot them.
Here's what Alb uses:

• Camo: Amerish leaf. A great green camo. Fantastic for almost all trees.
  • Decal: "Shank you very much: TR spy edition" Because gently caress you, got mine.
  • Helmet: Pretty much any hoodie so you can roleplay space Assassin's Creed.
  • Weapon camo: More of the same.

Tree-OPs Loadout:
Primary weapon:
NS-11c:
  • This is a good, all round carbine with few disadvantages. Can be used by all factions and is great because of its neutral white tracers and neutral sound effects.
  • Scope: 3.4x or 4x. Some of you may think this is a bit much, but trust me, it's not. More on this below.
  • Barrel: Suppressor! This removes weapon flash and prevents you from showing up on the radar for the enemies, both of which are highly useful for this playstyle. Also, this prevents you from being auto-spotted from people you shoot that have the awareness implant, effectively making their implant moot! This is absolutely required for this playstyle. You're hiding in a tree, deep in badguy territory. You don't want to show up to the enemy in any way.
  • Rail: Foregrip / Adv-forgrip. This one's pretty much a no-brainer. You're going to be ADSing and clicking heads.
Other, faction specific guns you could use:
  • VS's Pulsar C: Perhaps the most accurate gun in the game. Hits hard. Great at range. And it's free from the survey. 250 certs.
  • NC's AC-X11: Hits like a truck. A mini-SAW.
  • TR's AMC ##: Fast RoF. Huge clip. A small burst or 2 into someone's head means certs for you. Similar to NS-11c in terms of damage/RoF.
Suggested attachments are exactly as above for each of these weapons.

Secondary weapon:
You'll pretty much only be using your secondary weapon for when you run out of ammo with your primary weapon. This isn't a huge deal so you can pretty much put whatever you want here.
Good sidearms include:
  • Crossbow: Alb puts a 4x scope on this and a laser. Turn off laser with "L".
  • VS's Beamer: For lack of anything better.
  • TR's Inquisitor: Pocket carbine.
  • NC's Desperado: Hits hard and kills mans.
In any case, ALWAYS make sure there's a suppressor equiped on all your weapons! I don't want any of you whining about damage dropoff or velocity or whatever irrelevant nonsense. It's more important that you are concealed from the enemy! Accept your buckets of almost-free certs and DEAL WITH IT.

Suit Slot:
Ammo Belt: You'll find yourself running completly out of ammo and with plenty of easy target still under you a lot. You'll definitely wish you had this. Each level of this adds one extra mag to each of your guns.

Utility Slot:
C4 Boombooms: For those instances of when there's half a dozen unsuspecting certpeoples and/or MAXs right below you. Also, explosions are fun!
Why not medkit? Because if someone is shooting at you, it's already game over. It's more likely you'd be insta-headshot anyway if you got spotted. Accept your fate, respawn and find another perch.

Implant:
Default adv-targeting works just fine for finding easy targets. You may also consider sensor shield, but it may not be worth it since all it does is makes you not show up to radar darts while running (not sprinting), and you can already hide from them with crouch-moving anyways. Also it's a tier3 implant, so it's draining your energy extra fast. Sensor shield may help you with getting to your perch without getting spotted easier, but after you're there it's pretty much moot. Alb uses adv-targeting.

-----------
"ok, i have the stuff what do i do now?"
  • Find a tree with lots of bad guys under it! Try to get there without being spotted. Shooting your weapon is a great way of attracting unwanted attention, so restrain yourself until you're properly set up and hidden.
  • Great spots include places that are being camped. Such as teleporter rooms or spawns. It doesn't really matter if your empire controls the spawn/teleporter either, so long as enemies are coming out of it or are around it, you should be good.
  • The hardest part is getting to a nice perch without being seen. You will die a lot of times without even getting started. And there's a lot of fights where this tactic wouldn't even work! Don't let that stop you though! A big part of learning this playstyle is figuring out where the good spots are, as well as knowing when it's the right time to do tree-ops.
  • When you do end up getting into your special place and there's lots of mans running below you, take your time with your targets. Refrain from firing at sprinting targets. Watch them. Wait for when they're Aiming or standing still. If you shoot at someone who's moving fast, more of your shots will miss, and he's more likely to spin around and see where the shots are coming from. So, shoot at still targets, and in the head. It only takes a handful of headshots from an accurate carbine to almost-instantly kill any nonMAX man.

I may update this with a list of some of my favorite spots to set up nests. Stay tuned! :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Oh boy, you have no idea how much you are barely scratching the surface of that playstyle with that post. :allears:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:dawkins101:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I support Tree Ops, but only if you use Tech camo for maximum "You are loving BLIND! Eat it, shitter!" confusion when you show up on the kill screen. Personally, I sit in a tree as a shiny chrome god shooting nerds with the Crossbow and they just never, ever notice me. I couldn't possibly stick out more, but no one looks up. Ever.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Hi, please don't use a suppressor. Also use medkits. Thanks in advance, hope this helps!

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

kidRiot posted:

Been having a strange issue with the game for a few patches now.

I typically get 60+ fps but whenever it dips to around 40 in big fights the screen starts to stutter as if it were sub 20 fps.

Do you have vsync on? If you're running vsync without triple buffering that kind of thing happens.

Evilreaver posted:

Cheated out of my GODSAW, NS-15P doesn't count :saddowns:

400 kills left on the Anchor, I guess.

Well poo poo, at least that's 400 (relatively) easy kills.

I still think MAXes should be more like their PS1 counterparts - big sacks of HP that don't do the current murderbot DPS. Right now they *are* crutches for most players. The percentage of people who pull exclusively AA/AV maxes and use them for AA/AV rather than farming infantry is pretty goddamn small.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 6, 2014

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Being NC has taught me that a MAX's place is in an AA/AV position exclusively.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Tree LA stuff

I play similarly but with 2x optics or NV, and just flanking and shooting at peoples sides from nearby rocks and hills. I love the AC-X11 and Pulsar C, and have been thinking about kitting a TR guy as well. Is the Jaguar (167dmg) not the TR equivalent? Why AMC?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Being NC has taught me that a MAX's place is in an AA/AV position exclusively.

This, if I wanted to kill Infantry I have all the best guns to do it with already, my MAX is a dedicated Air/Armor Shitter

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The 1 hour time limit on the Cont-Lock Alert seems incredibly tight to me for the defenders to re-cap 35%. I've only played one of the alerts, and that was in the dead of night with little no defense being bounced around by the offense to prevent their territory from being lost the whole way through.

I can't imagine how it would turn out with a motivated offense except in consistent DRAW, but then again, it'd probably end up producing vicious, lucrative fights otherwise.

edit: as for the cert payout, it seemed fair enough, allowing for over 1 cert per minute when it was all done (I'm a space-poor).

Erata fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 6, 2014

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

JUGA tend to be HA spam with attendant medics and engineers that enjoy gal drops on outposts with no resistance or being force multipliers on top of a hellzerg.

One of their medics would naturally take offence at MAX suits who can break into their cap defence and get back up because there are people right behind them (clear vision and shotguns, the horror :gonk:). I'd say they're mad because one of the main Briggs NC outfits loves to blow up their gal, max crash the point and bugger off minutes later.

Trogdos! posted:

I play similarly but with 2x optics or NV, and just flanking and shooting at peoples sides from nearby rocks and hills. I love the AC-X11 and Pulsar C, and have been thinking about kitting a TR guy as well. Is the Jaguar (167dmg) not the TR equivalent? Why AMC?

The AMC is the low(er) recoil headshot machine, the Jaguar is a better TRAC 5 for straight up CQC. Perhaps you're thinking of the Razor/Merc ripoff Cougar?

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Trogdos! posted:

The Jag is the hipfire 143 damage gun. You're probably thinking of the Cougar, the only 167 damage gun in the TR carbine arsenal. I haven't looked at their damage projection abilities but I know that I far prefer the T5 AMC over the Cougar for the range most carbine combat happens at. For whatever reason the T5 is easier for me to control and has an effectively shorter TTK because I'm landing more of my shots.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
A 2x reflex goes on the Reaper, right?

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Artificer posted:

A 2x reflex goes on the Reaper, right?

1x or 2x, your choice. Even the iron sights aren't bad.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I go around one month with reflex sights, one month with iron sights, and one with the 4x crosshair. Every time I switch I can't figure out how I could stand anything but the sights I am using at the moment. It's odd.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Has the new resource system improved the game?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

Has the new resource system improved the game?

Hard to tell so far, really. On emerald there are a ton of vehicles pulled (by tr and nc atleast), and the system lets people like AOD pull an endless stream of armor to lance. Not sure why NC seemed to have so much air, but eh. A sunderer whenever you want one is pretty sweet though! Definitely saw a lot more vs sunderers when it got late and my little squad was hanging around bases longer than usual, especially when I requested them in orders.

My biggest worry is hitting one of those fights that come up sometimes where you end up spamming AV grenades and c4 or something and run out of nanites, but it isnt so bad right now. Maybe they need to mess with the vehicle costs though.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Synnr posted:

Hard to tell so far, really. On emerald there are a ton of vehicles pulled (by tr and nc atleast), and the system lets people like AOD pull an endless stream of armor to lance. Not sure why NC seemed to have so much air, but eh. A sunderer whenever you want one is pretty sweet though! Definitely saw a lot more vs sunderers when it got late and my little squad was hanging around bases longer than usual, especially when I requested them in orders.

My biggest worry is hitting one of those fights that come up sometimes where you end up spamming AV grenades and c4 or something and run out of nanites, but it isnt so bad right now. Maybe they need to mess with the vehicle costs though.

NC was pulling a lot of air BEFORE the resource changes. Now it just means they're not on a cool down. And every faction (though not perhaps GOKU) is pulling way more vehicles than they used to. It's nice actually having resources even with a small amount of territory.

Also, if you run out of nanites spamming AV grenades, then perhaps you should stop throwing so many?

Gaghskull fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 6, 2014

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Gaghskull posted:

NC was pulling a lot of air BEFORE the resource changes. Now it just means they're not on a cool down.

Just didn't have much of a response from the tr or nc last night during primetime, so most of the nc we saw were air swarms every now and then. That is why the eastern half of indar looked like it had been conquered by the JSDF!

e; Much of a response to GOKU activity that is. We joined the western stuff a few times to lance TR, but ended up mostly with deadly dull caps and one squad occasionally hopping out to resecure ghost caps.

Gaghskull posted:

Also, if you run out of nanites spamming AV grenades, then perhaps you should stop throwing so many?

Well then maybe they shouldn't give me grenade bandoliers and so many tiny rooms full of men to throw them into! In all seriousness yeah I tend to go too heavy on them as a HA in some fights. I imagine the c4 wont be so bad since I cant suicide drop on most sunderers anymore. But like I said, I haven't hit that point and I'm pretty sure I burnt through my backlog of them early in the evening. I think the scythes I pulled to squad hop people across the continent ate into my nanites more than anything.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 6, 2014

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Never stop throwing AV nades !

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

o muerte posted:

When VS roll 50% pop no one wants to fight them, so the NC dogpile on the TR, so TR either log out or swap to VS/NC. It's a pretty lame cycle because there's zero incentive to sit on the 25% world pop faction and get camped in every fight.
But that's when the farm is at its best! I don't think anything in the game beats being the SE Indar warpgate holder at 20% cont pop with a 48+ ghost zerg capping The Stronghold. It's Spawn Room Valhalla.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

hailthefish posted:

The meta right now (and since release, really) seems to encourage 50/25/25 pop spreads on three continents with the fourth one locked.

Of course it does because the new alert system is loving stupid and is basically custom tailored to exacerbate the ghost-zergs situation, because now it rewards the loving things.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fart Car '97 posted:

Of course it does because the new alert system is loving stupid and is basically custom tailored to exacerbate the ghost-zergs situation, because now it rewards the loving things.

Holy poo poo the Indar alert last night, so many galaxies. It was like Burster Max Christmas.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I like the resource update so far. Was raking in the repair ribbons on Connery earlier with NC getting half off MAX suits! Also, the Canister feels great now. The minimum damage buff was more or less what it needed.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
About that "ejection" seat bug, flashes have it too. :v: Tried to jump off my flash to pistol duel an other inf, suddenly I'm 30 meters in the air. Doesn't happen too often atleast.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Harassers are dirt cheap, this is awesome.

(I feel like every vehicle and max in the game should still have a built in 5 minute cooldown)

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

BadLlama posted:

(I feel like every vehicle and max in the game should still have a built in 5 minute cooldown)

Great, you're welcome to wait 5 minutes between pulls.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Rakthar posted:

Great, you're welcome to wait 5 minutes between pulls.

Hurrr

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

There should be vehicle timers and they shouldn't start until your vehicle dies.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

There should be vehicle timers and they shouldn't start until your vehicle dies.

I am super down with this. Death to all MPAC users. :smugdog:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The spirit of gustav still survives in PS2, haven't not killed anyone with a direct hit yet. Did everyone just stop wearing flak armor?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Higby was right. Players no longer pull air/tank/MAX/air/etc. in a cycle. Now they just don't stop pulling air.

roxxor5678
Jan 17, 2005
Well I'm really enjoying the directives so far, excited to see how they expand on them. They're making me re-evaluate all kinds of guns that I dismissed as worthless and terrible, notably the semi-auto sniper rifles.

I used the Gauss SPR back in beta for about 10 kills and shelved it for good. Yesterday I finally picked it up again in my quest for the stupid Moonshot directive gun and surprisingly managed to grind out 500 kills in a couple of 2 or 3 hour sessions. I'm still not completely convinced it isn't terrible, but it's capable of being an absolute murder machine and is really satisfying to dump rounds with. It also might be the most obnoxiously loud gun in the game so that's always a bonus.

Here's a random good segment with it that my shadowplay picked up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUvgkQKHxEA. Very fun monster of a gun, try it out.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Erata posted:

This is my favorite /yell ever. "GIVE US THE ORION!!!"
"OK" reply all the VS. "HAVE.. HAVE IT." "R.REALLY. NO . NO FOOLIN. I MEAN. YES. .. WHAT? .. "

Sure, the Orion is pretty ok in close range ADS + ADAD if I'm remembering the gun right, but god help you in other situations or against shotguns.

The Orion and ADADAD spammers are really the worst. It sounds disingenuous to disregard player complaints about adad spam and .75 ADS weapons until you've been on the receiving end. There's nothing quite like having your ADS speed halved and squaring off against someone who can ADS at 75% of their movement speed AND land headshots with the controlled fire of an ADS weapon, while they dance around with their hitbox size shrunk thanks to server lag. That said, TR guns are fantastic and I can't imagine them being any better for what they do. MSW R? Sheeyit, point it at the right shoulder of a man and ride the recoil up to their head without any compensation effort.

If SOE got rid of all .75 ADS empire specific weapons, and only gave those bonuses to the NS weapons, that would be fine with me and most players I would imagine. Are you tired of your empire guns and want to aim down sights while adad'ing? Spend :10bux: on the NS 15M and go hog wild.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Hi, please don't use a suppressor. Also use medkits. Thanks in advance, hope this helps!

I would argue, that for the playstyle mentioned, when your whole gimmick relies on not showing up on radars, a supressor is a good idea in this instance. If all you're doing is shooting oblivious pubbies who get close to your tree, you don't want to kill them, then have their buddies see your red dot remaining stationary by their corpse. Even the most oblivious players can figure out where you are. The days of nobody looking up are pretty much over, save for the rawest of new recruit players.

Again, this only applies to anybody playing either a LA who perches and terrorizes in a tree, or a player who squad beacons into a tree. An infiltrator can get away with not using suppressors because cloaking will make them disappear off the radar regardless of what they're shooting.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 6, 2014

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

roxxor5678 posted:

Well I'm really enjoying the directives so far, excited to see how they expand on them. They're making me re-evaluate all kinds of guns that I dismissed as worthless and terrible, notably the semi-auto sniper rifles.

I used the Gauss SPR back in beta for about 10 kills and shelved it for good. Yesterday I finally picked it up again in my quest for the stupid Moonshot directive gun and surprisingly managed to grind out 500 kills in a couple of 2 or 3 hour sessions. I'm still not completely convinced it isn't terrible, but it's capable of being an absolute murder machine and is really satisfying to dump rounds with. It also might be the most obnoxiously loud gun in the game so that's always a bonus.

Here's a random good segment with it that my shadowplay picked up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUvgkQKHxEA. Very fun monster of a gun, try it out.

What are your attachments on that?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you aren't down with ADAD spam you aint nothin but bad :smug:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

If you aren't down with ADAD spam you aint nothin but bad :smug:

Some of us don't need crutches :smaug:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
.75 ads is the best defensive stat in the game and is highly undervalued on gun stat budgets.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

vigorous sodomy posted:

Some of us don't need crutches :smaug:

I would hate for you to lose your E-honoru and actually get good at the game :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

I would hate for you to lose your E-honoru and actually get good at the game :ohdear:

Your post makes no sense.

I do well enough with my guns without the .75 ADS buff :confused:

• Locked thread