Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

Why am I doing this at 3 AM :spergin:

You've been a peach at helping my implication that certain people have been wasting their time and effort in internet arguments about Chucklefish. ;-*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Ragequit posted:

Haha half of that was modding, wasn't it. You have spent 0.12% of your feeble existence solely on Morrowind.

GBS was a blatant bait and switch.

It's really tempting to knock a quick infographic up showing exactly how much free time we actually have alive and how little time there is in life to do something meaningful.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

PantsBandit posted:

This argument has been entertaining but I'm expecting some updates on how exactly it's going to improve within the next few posts. It's been several pages of posts without an improvement to this argument and I'm beginning to feel like I'm part of a "switch baiting" situation.

You have to remember that it wasn't long ago that the forums straight up broke, we're still recovering from that, but seriously stay with us 'cause we've got some great posts in the works, if you want an early look at what we're currently working on you should check out the IRC.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Arkanomen posted:

That is true. My main concern is that development is unfocused and somewhat off the rails. Nightlies show work, yes but to what end?

I'm sorry you feel that way, but this is all on you really. Something tells me that nothing would satisfy you.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Arkanomen posted:

That is true. My main concern is that development is unfocused and somewhat off the rails. Nightlies show work, yes but to what end?

I have never wanted to give someone a wedgie, call them a nerd, and shove them into a locker more than this moment.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

AceClown posted:

It's really tempting to knock a quick infographic up showing exactly how much free time we actually have alive and how little time there is in life to do something meaningful.

Ha, one way to end the argument - existential demolition. "Every time you post, you're depriving yourself of 0.05 chances to tell someone close to you you love them before it's too late."

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

This is pretty much every new ip that has been developed ever. You end up yanking a whole bunch of systems out that weren't working and pushing new ones that are actually fun.

If you don't like this what you want is less transparency not more.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Wouldn't a lot of this die down if they just released (even a small) new stable update on steam or whatever?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Ahundredbux posted:

Wouldn't a lot of this die down if they just released (even a small) new stable update on steam or whatever?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

No.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Ernie Muppari posted:

You have to remember that it wasn't long ago that the forums straight up broke, we're still recovering from that, but seriously stay with us 'cause we've got some great posts in the works, if you want an early look at what we're currently working on you should check out the IRC.
You can also subscribe to my blog and take a look at the nightly previews of the great posts that I and my team are crafting. There are exiting times ahead for something is awful dot com, let me tell you!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ahundredbux posted:

No. It would shift into never ending "where is X feature, Chucklefish? You've had enough time!" and other similar nonsense. This is a very vocal demographic that can never be pleased.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

President Ark posted:

I have never wanted to give someone a wedgie, call them a nerd, and shove them into a locker more than this moment.

Says the tool posting on an Internet forum about video games but whatever mr.cool.

Supernorn posted:

I'm sorry you feel that way, but this is all on you really. Something tells me that nothing would satisfy you.

Actually the design doc would satisfy me. At that point Id either take it or leave it. I'd be happy with my purchase or not.

Sedisp posted:

This is pretty much every new ip that has been developed ever. You end up yanking a whole bunch of systems out that weren't working and pushing new ones that are actually fun.

If you don't like this what you want is less transparency not more.

I agree somewhat, I just expected a lot more and those expectations were based on the everything shown about the game during the last backer phase. I was shown mockups labeled as screenshots. That and the philosophy behind that are basically the core of my issue. Like when Microsoft showed Xbox one games running on computers and acting like they were running on consoles.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No. It would shift into never ending "where is X feature, Chucklefish? You've had enough time!" and other similar nonsense. This is a very vocal demographic that can never be pleased.

Stable release +design doc would refute that. Here is what we did and here is where planned feature is on the dev cycle or, it was removed. They will still argue because they are angry but at least it gives CF some solid ground to stand on.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Arkanomen posted:

Actually the design doc would satisfy me. I'd be happy with my purchase or not.

No it wouldn't, and no you wouldn't. You're a whiny waste of water without wisdom.

In any case, dogkisser, when's your next mod update coming in?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

WarpedNaba posted:

No it wouldn't, and no you wouldn't. You're a whiny waste of water without wisdom.

I should report myself for sockpuppeting then because clearly you are me and know what I think. Nice alliteration though. I wan to know if it's time to jump ship on this game. I stopped caring before nightlies and with the recent activity I want to know if I was premature. Dev doc is the perfect way to assuage my issues but Tyi pulled an rear end in a top hat move and was like "here's in illegible copy, were working with a plan but I won't show it because then I can go back on any feature we say well deliver but end up not". In the end, yeah it's a cheap game and who gives a poo poo in the grand scheme but then why care about anything.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wish game developers were legally protected in a way that allowed them to lightly-to modestly rudely rib their customers when they're being asses. Like, you wouldn't be able to just come out and call them retards or faggots but you could freely say that they've got an eight year olds' idea of how actual development works.

Like, one of the team sets a simple request for people to download mod tools and make something in it. Code it, draw the sprite art, [and whatever else I'm missing in this] the whole shebang. And then they say to time themselves. If they can manage to do it in under 14 seconds then they'll hire them to help code their game too! Because coding is like playing an RTS game! Set more coders at more laptops and the production speed goes up immediately with no training required!

Arkanomen posted:

I should report myself for sockpuppeting then because clearly you are me and know what I think. Nice alliteration though. I wan to know if it's time to jump ship on this game. I stopped caring before nightlies and with the recent activity I want to know if I was premature. Dev doc is the perfect way to assuage my issues but Tyi pulled an rear end in a top hat move and was like "here's in illegible copy, were working with a plan but I won't show it because then I can go back on any feature we say well deliver but end up not". In the end, yeah it's a cheap game and who gives a poo poo in the grand scheme but then why care about anything.

It was readable at first but the internet cried SPOILERS! :byodood: and it was made not so.

Also, I feel like you need to go see a therapist if you're willing to turn into a nihilist over a vidyogame didn't get made fast enough for my subjective brain demand of when it should've been done :saddowns:

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 8, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Arkanomen posted:

The money can be spent how they choose as long as it is spent in good faith towards the development of the game. The backer money wasn't given to Chucklefish for Chucklefish, it was given to develop starbound.
It can be spent however they want. It was given to them for a product that will be delivered when it's done.
There's no loving investor agreement that says x% of profits have to go to hiring dozens of coders/buying pixel art/what the gently caress ever.

It's profit. That's what people do with profit.

AceClown posted:

The hammer analogy falls a bit flat though Vib, it's like I've gone to buy a hammer and gotten a handle with the promise of an awesome hammer down the line. Yet a year later I'm still sat with the handle wondering when the gently caress the head is coming.
That's a fair analogy but it concerns a different aspect of the discussion than I was trying to make a point about, regarding "profit as returns". If you preordered a hammer and it wasn't finished fast enough for your liking then that's a perfectly valid reason to buy a finished hammer somewhere else.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 8, 2014

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

yeah the game's pretty dead

i hear star citizen is way more open and honest though

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Arkanonnen will remove his face soon and show us he's Ayn Rand's long lost brother, Bob Rand.

There. I told you the twist.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

WarpedNaba posted:

I keep slacking! I don't want to get burned out on it, but I already have a bunch of new objects and stuff already completed I want to add. I feel like I can't consider this complete until I have villages, but probably the sensible thing to do is just release this last object pack as a separate update and then make a 'final' village update. I'm anxious to get it out there + add your wicked voiceover stuff.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

You are 100% correct. There is no contract so everything is faith based. I don't see good faith and feel pissed basically. I think anyone would.

LotsBread posted:

Arkanonnen will remove his face soon and show us he's Ayn Rand's long lost brother, Bob Rand.

There. I told you the twist.

My secret revealed! drat you! Chucklefish are the parasites you'll see!

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 8, 2014

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Arkanomen posted:

You are 100% correct. There is no contract so everything is faith based. I don't see good faith and feel pissed basically. I think anyone would.

lol

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Arkanomen posted:

I AM ARKANOMEN I BOUGHT A CANDY BAR AND IT HAD PEANUTS IT SAID I WAS A CANDY BAR AND NOT A PEANUT IT NEVER SAID IT HAD PEANUT INSIDE I SAW THE COVER AND SAW PEANUT STAMPED IT WAS THEIR LOGO BUT I WAS TRICKED SO NOW I CHASE ICE CREAM VANS AS A SUCCESSFUL PROSECUTOR

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Arkanomen posted:

Well I for one am not pissed. I paid for a space Lego game. I currently have a space Lego game that Chucklefish promised they'd add more stuff to.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Arkanomen posted:

Yes. You should jump ship.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The first thing to realize about Starbound is that Tiy is the worst then after that you'll be in the appropriate headspace for laughing at tweets and updates.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
If I had 0 fun with the game 6 months ago is it worth taking another look at it now or is it still just a tedious collection of things except there are more things now?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Schwack posted:

Yes. You should jump ship.

The majority of players have.

I have a nut allergy and resent your baseless slander. I will see you in internet court.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well I for one am not pissed. I paid for a space Lego game. I currently have a space Lego game that Chucklefish promised they'd add more stuff to.

That is one way to look at it sure. I'm glad you're happy. I'm not however and seeing as this is one of the few places to express opinion that the devs listen to I will do so. I don't think my complaints are out of line.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arkanomen posted:

seeing as this is one of the few places to express opinion that the devs listen to

Spoilers: The devs are not going to listen to your complaints that are founded on nothing but your own self-importance, unawareness of how game development works, and unwillingness to accept the progress being made as progress.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

You guys, I'm starting to think that maybe Arkanomen is disappointed with starbound...

I won't have anything conclusive for at least another 10 pages of him repeating himself though.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

how me a frog posted:

If I had 0 fun with the game 6 months ago is it worth taking another look at it now or is it still just a tedious collection of things except there are more things now?

The second one.

Arkanomen posted:

The majority of players have.

And you haven't because...?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

how me a frog posted:

I'm not sure there's actually been a stable release in that time. Whiny as the complainers are, it is going a bit slow. The next big additions regarding proper quests and hub worlds are currently under construction.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Tiy could personally go around and give every person on 4chan and reddit head at this point and they would just complain it wasn't sloppy enough.

Actually, they've probably already done a comic about that.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Spoilers: The devs are not going to listen to your complaints that are founded on nothing but your own self-importance, unawareness of how game development works, and unwillingness to accept the progress being made as progress.

They're also not going to listen to you if you go around accusing them of being liars and cheats who are intentionally obfuscating things so they can lie and back out of things later on. These are the ramblings of a paranoid delusional that imagines slights to get upset about, not the rational conversation points of someone you want to consult with about your livelihood.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I feel like the complaints about this game not being finished fast enough is like putting a frozen turkey in the oven, waiting 14 seconds, taking it out and then eating it while you complain that it's not finished. Like- yeah? It was kinda a really big part of when you first bought it that it would take a while to be feature complete but I guess we're just skipping over that like the terms of service now.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Kyrosiris posted:

I have enough of an understanding of project management to know when things are off the rails. I really came here to post about how releasing a low rez "design document" was a crappy thing to do considering the myriad of issues with development so far. Tyi should really hire someone with clear project management experience and return to a creative role where his expertise lies. Progress for progress sake is worthless. Some people aren't happy with what's being presented. Fine, presenting the dev doc would have been the best way to shut that down. Banning any criticism, Bioware EA level HR/moderation and terrible damage control is a terrible way to do things. As I said before, nightlies are a good first step, the dev doc would be another. I fail to see where I an unjustly "entitled".

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Ernie Muppari posted:

The second one.

And you haven't because...?

I did until recently. I thought there was no life in this game for a while. It's literally in a steam folder called "wait a year". I said before nightlies drew me back but that's not enough. People are vocal enough to get responses from the devs, so why not comment? I also have some interest in the relatively new world of early-access games and I certainly hope the way starbound went doesn't become common practice. Unturned is a great model for early access.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

:frogout:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

I also have some interest in the relatively new world of early-access games and I certainly hope the way starbound went doesn't become common practice.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...

...most games already take more than three years to finish being developed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

I'm good thanks.

Ernie Muppari posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...

...most games already take more than three years to finish being developed.

Maybe AAA titles, but starbound is not a AAA game despite its budget. I'm more referring to the whole roadmap =/= stable release, missed deadlines and dev/audience interaction.

• Locked thread