Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter25
Mar 19, 2007
Yup. Pretty much.
I need an invite for my guy. Rodney@Drifter25. I miss the EVE Online days of pissing people off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The level of self entitlement in this thread is truly epic:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1191001

"I'm willing to hold judgement on the new ship plans since I really don't know anything about what's going to happen, but I will warn you that the main reason I play this game at all is because of the actual Star Trek ships."

"Not the "Star Trek-ish" ships that have been invented for this game, but the actual ships from the shows. Even though I know they aren't the "best" in the game, I love my Ambassador, Galaxy-X, and D'Deridex. It gives me a giddy sense of joy to see my Warbird warping in, or move the camera around to see every angle as it glides through sector space."

He goes on for a while and ends with this masterpiece:

"TLDR: I like my ships, and I'm not going to abandon them. Don't try to make me, find a way to work with me."

Sorry I forgot the best part. His thread title? "A caution to the devs"

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 9, 2014

Drifter25
Mar 19, 2007
Yup. Pretty much.

DancingShade posted:

The level of self entitlement in this thread is truly epic:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1191001

"I'm willing to hold judgement on the new ship plans since I really don't know anything about what's going to happen, but I will warn you that the main reason I play this game at all is because of the actual Star Trek ships."

"Not the "Star Trek-ish" ships that have been invented for this game, but the actual ships from the shows. Even though I know they aren't the "best" in the game, I love my Ambassador, Galaxy-X, and D'Deridex. It gives me a giddy sense of joy to see my Warbird warping in, or move the camera around to see every angle as it glides through sector space."

He goes on for a while and ends with this masterpiece:

"TLDR: I like my ships, and I'm not going to abandon them. Don't try to make me, find a way to work with me."

Sorry I forgot the best part. His thread title? "A caution to the devs"

EPIC!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Well I personally wouldn't go that far but it applies. Come to think of it "mind boggling" doesn't really work with the user base here because nothing they do should surprise anyone anymore.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
His tone is poo poo, but I don't disagree with him. Leaving the iconic ships in a state where they're permanently outclassed by whatever they dream up for publish 10 and beyond would probably upset a good number of players. Not that Cryptic wouldn't have figured that out for themselves.

Posting your lovely manifesto to the forums is shouting into the wind, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, yeah, there's no chance the series ships won't be upgraded. But that's just obvious.

Drifter25
Mar 19, 2007
Yup. Pretty much.
But for real, how do we get added to the Fleet? The link provided did not work for me.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Bieeardo posted:

His tone is poo poo, but I don't disagree with him. Leaving the iconic ships in a state where they're permanently outclassed by whatever they dream up for publish 10 and beyond would probably upset a good number of players. Not that Cryptic wouldn't have figured that out for themselves.

Posting your lovely manifesto to the forums is shouting into the wind, though.

By the same token though, the Galaxy class is, in universe, a 50 year-old ship.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Cryptic posted:

It has been fantastic to see the community’s interest in our announcement of Delta Rising! This expansion includes our first level cap increase in four years, and the players have many questions about how these changes will affect them.

As with any level cap increase in an MMORPG, there are going to be increases in and shifts in power levels in the game. One of the most notable changes in this expansion is the introduction of a new tier of starships, commonly known as Tier 6 because our previous top end starships were Tier 5. The big question everyone is asking is: What does this mean to my existing Tier 5 ships?

Developing starships takes a lot of dev effort, so Delta Rising is going to include between 7 and 10 new Tier 6 ships at launch, spanning all three factions. This is nowhere near enough breadth in starships to satisfy the player demand, and we know our players love the ships they are already flying. With this in mind, we are dedicated to making sure that players can continue flying the ships they love and still have those ships be competitive at the new level 60 end game. We do not want players to feel that their investment in the current ships is devalued by the expansion, and this is a very challenging thing to do for a game with four years of history since the last level cap increase.

While we have a detailed plan, we still have plenty of testing to do. There is a lot that can change as we implement and test our plan. We expect to be ready to share full details on the starships within the coming three weeks. Players will also be able to experience the new changes on Tribble soon, and will be able to provide feedback to help us tune and adjust the systems for many weeks prior to actual release.

On the road to the release of Delta Rising in October, we will be sharing almost everything about the expansion both in official developer blogs and on our public test shard, Tribble. The only information we plan to hold back is the story, which we will do to avoid spoiling the narrative for those who prefer to wait for the release and experience it themselves. We have a lot of amazing things on the horizon, so we’re really excited to share them with you as they’re ready.

The Delta Quadrant is a thrilling and dangerous place, and we look forward to opening it up to all you Federation, Klingon, and Romulan Captains. This is definitely some of the best work the Star Trek Online team has ever produced and you’re going to love it!

Stephen D’Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online

Translation: Oh my god you loving drama queens, shut up about your ships. We KNOW.

At the end of the day we all know what's going to happen. There will be fleet/upgraded versions of the current endgame ships, with the new T6 ones being slightly better. And that's fine.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The way they keep phrasing it as 'competitive' makes me think that all the uprated current ones are going to suck slightly compared to the new ones, which has me slightly apprehensive.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MikeJF posted:

The way they keep phrasing it as 'competitive' makes me think that all the uprated current ones are going to suck slightly compared to the new ones, which has me slightly apprehensive.

It might be "they have identical stats but not $DUMB_CLICKY_POWER_X."

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Have you ever run parses on pubbie matches? I've done quite a few, and most STO players have no idea how to properly fit a ship. And cryptic has to tune all their end-game content to those players, not to the 10% who know that universal consoles don't belong in tac slots. I'm sure that we'll see the same thing here that we've seen the whole game - a player who knows what they're doing can do ESTFs in any ship.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

wdarkk posted:

It might be "they have identical stats but not $DUMB_CLICKY_POWER_X."
This is pretty much guaranteed to be it, yeah. Something along the lines of the romulan singularity core stuff; generally better, but some minor downsides. But we'll see.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

SKY COQ posted:

Mirandas and Excelsiors showed up in the TOS movies and were used through the end of DS9. Those ships are probably like, 200 years old.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Admittedly the real reason for that is because the models were already done and on ahnd, everyone knew they were Trek ships and looked it, so throwing them in as "extras" in space shots was infinitely easier and cheaper than trying to do a bunch of new ship models. Any other explanation for the long Miranda/Excelsior service is just the usual spergy nerd over-rationalization. :v:

Not that STO has quite the same excuse, but it really all comes down to brand management and audience expectation. It's a Trek game, people expect classic Trek ships, so they're in. However implausible it may be.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

We have 60 year old airframes still in active service. It isn't much of a stretch to assume that you could upgrade a Miranda to perform a mission. If the Feds had a proper carrier Mirandas would probably be the frigates.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

AirborneNinja posted:

If the Feds had a proper carrier Mirandas would probably be the frigates.

A Miranda is still a full starship so it makes very little sense to have them as carrier pets. Something like the Aquarius is a better fit to be honest.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Asimo posted:

Admittedly the real reason for that is because the models were already done and on ahnd, everyone knew they were Trek ships and looked it, so throwing them in as "extras" in space shots was infinitely easier and cheaper than trying to do a bunch of new ship models. Any other explanation for the long Miranda/Excelsior service is just the usual spergy nerd over-rationalization. :v:
It's a big ship, sir.

But not as big as her captain.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

g0del posted:

We all got spoiled by the disco balls (they were like easy-mode for trolling). Now that the people most bothered by them can turn them off, we need to figure out other ways to drive them crazy.

Triolic Pattern Enhancers seem to piss them off. Can't ogle what you can't see.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Mr Wikstroem posted:

A Miranda is still a full starship so it makes very little sense to have them as carrier pets. Something like the Aquarius is a better fit to be honest.
You can have BoPs as carrier pets, though.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I will actually play my boring fed alt if there is a fed ship that farts out mirandas.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

Flagrant Abuse posted:

The Miranda class is a 200 man vessel (according to STO) whereas the Klingon Bird of Prey has a crew complement of 6 or so according to canon and 30 in-game. There is also a significant size difference.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Speaking of carrier pets, is there a certain type of fighter I should look at getting? Or are the Scorpions that came with the Scimitar good?

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

Danaru posted:

Speaking of carrier pets, is there a certain type of fighter I should look at getting? Or are the Scorpions that came with the Scimitar good?

Romulan drone ships

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The general rule of thumb is that you always want the ship-specific frigate that comes with the carrier, and for some reason the Scimitar has one of these despite not being a full carrier because Cryptic wants an actual P2W ship I guess.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

g0del posted:

Have you ever run parses on pubbie matches? I've done quite a few, and most STO players have no idea how to properly fit a ship. And cryptic has to tune all their end-game content to those players, not to the 10% who know that universal consoles don't belong in tac slots. I'm sure that we'll see the same thing here that we've seen the whole game - a player who knows what they're doing can do ESTFs in any ship.

Seriously, it's kinda hard to overstate how bad most pubbies are at this game. Some are ok but I parse most of my ISE matches and I've out-DPSed lots of level 40 and 50 ships in my NX-01, the USS Long Road.

Also, goons really shouldn't be afraid of pugging PVP queues. Occasionally you run into an organized team or some PvP superstar but I've been doing them a lot in my fleet Nebula lately and I'm pretty much always on the top half of the damage charts,

Go shoot bad pubbies, it's fun.

e: I should add that I'm space-dumb and bad at this game, if you can figure out Cryptic math you'll do way better than I do.

Soviet Commubot fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 9, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

That's because the Vo'Quv is an absolute hulk of a vessel(Even in game terms) to hold the damm things. The thing is probably capable of not only finding a new system for the Empire, but conquering it and holding it without assistance. If the thing had resource harvesting, it'd be a mobile Starbase.(Though now I think I'm just talking it up...)

In game terms, an enemy Vo'Quv is Dreadnaught-class, like the Tethys or even the Odyssey-only shows up if the players have enough force to warrant it. It's also been used as a multiplay boss twice. Everyone remembers Cure Found, but an earlier fed scenario also had a Vo'Quv as the final boss.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 9, 2014

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
A combination of watching DS9 on Netflix (I joined the military in '94 so I missed ST:DS9 and Voyager) and reading this hilarious thread has caused me to download this game. Some of the stuff posted is pure comedy gold. From the scam-baiting to the "Dukat was Right" joke, to some of the creepy pubbie weirdos, I was laughing quite a bit.

I rolled a tactical Klingon to start. I'm gathering from this thread that playing a Klingon as a first character is just fine. Is this accurate?

Also, is STO like EVE where one can PVP even as a newbie? Or is there some minimum character level that one has to grind out to at first?

I'm a little unsure about how a character@handle works, but I think it's charactername@arcusername so mine would be Klonk@REDACTED. I registered on the Wesley Wiki as moralhazard.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 10, 2014

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

MoraleHazard posted:

I rolled a tactical Klingon to start. I'm gathering from this thread that playing a Klingon as a first character is just fine. Is this accurate?

Also, is STO like EVE where one can PVP even as a newbie? Or is there some minimum character level that one has to grind out to at first?

Klingons are better characters in the sense that they'll make more loot which you can turn into in-game cash to buy things that would otherwise cost real money, but for a first time character just pick whatever takes your fancy.

Also I want to say Lv. 10 is the PvP level and even then I'm think you'll still want to be near end game before doing PvP, although pubbies in this game are so awful you could most likely take them at Lv. 10 :v:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
If you try to pvp at low levels it will segregate you to a separate instance/queue for people who are at your rank. This means pvp queues will almost never pop for you since nearly everyone is level 50 already. Your best bet is to go to Ker'rat and look for feds. Ker'rat is a space area with a dumb PVE mission against borg and open pvp.

It'll be a barren wasteland for the most part but you can sometimes find some lonely low-level fed trying to do the PVE part and then kill him over and over again. That said, it doesn't take long to get to 50 so you might want to just power level it before you bother with PVP.

Goat Pillager posted:

Romulan drone ships

You want the elite drones from the fleet store. Just use the default ships until you can afford them.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

SKY COQ posted:

The M16 is 68 years old, but the M16A4 revision is still the primary armament for America's military, and more than half of our aircraft carriers are the 39-year-old Nimitz class. Just because it's a tried and true design doesn't mean the internals aren't state-of-the-art.

Drifter25
Mar 19, 2007
Yup. Pretty much.
Registered with the wiki as Drifter25.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

I'm a little unsure about how a character@handle works, but I think it's charactername@arcusername so mine would be Klonk@REDACTED. I registered on the Wesley Wiki as moralhazard.

Probably want to remove that username, if that's the one you use to log in to the game. @handle is easy to find, when you're on the ground as your captain right click your character portrait in the top left corner. It'll show your name@handle.

Either way, I invited that @handle to the channel and you're on the wiki.

Brownview posted:

I registered on the wiki as Brownview and am in-game as Brownview@blzybub1 (or @blzybub, I don't know how this works!).

Major Spag posted:

Since I continue to be bad at everything, I would like to request wiki access.

Username: Spagunk

Drifter25 posted:

Registered with the wiki as Drifter25.

Kmpec posted:

Could I get an invite? Katal@norgura Thanks!

You're all on the wiki and invited to TheNextGooneration now.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Thanks for the invite. My login name is different, but thanks for the right click tip. For shits and giggles I rolled a Federation tactical captain and my God, I'm sticking with the Klingon. The fed captain was like cheesy trek bingo where you blow up some Klingons, rescue a whole colony, and destroy a Borg cube in your little dipshit obsolescent frigate with the ink on your Academy diploma still wet. That said, the Federation does give the option to have annoying ship names plastered on the hull.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 10, 2014

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Major Spag posted:

Since I continue to be bad at everything, I would like to request wiki access.

Username: Spagunk

Spag you shitbird

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004
Grimrak is the greatest

Drifter25
Mar 19, 2007
Yup. Pretty much.
Hm, game's saying I have insufficient permissions to access TheNextGooneration. Can you double check to make sure I was added?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Drifter25 posted:

Hm, game's saying I have insufficient permissions to access TheNextGooneration. Can you double check to make sure I was added?

You weren't added before but you are now, enjoy!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anyone have advice on how to get a microphone to stop feeding back into speakers? Mumble starts screeching the moment any sound comes out of the speakers, even when I have push-to-talk enabled, and the button not pressed.

I dunno if that's related to mumble crashing on me or not - I'm guessing that means it's an issue with my audio drivers, but I really don't have a clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Just set your Mumble microphone input to a lower level so it doesn't pick your speakers up.

• Locked thread