Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Valeyard posted:

I think this gets asked a lot but where is the most complete list of Meltzer ratings?
This site is a little more confusing and things are spread out, but it has a whole lot more information. I used it a lot when I first got the WWE Network to check and see which matches were worth paying attention to on WCW PPVs. https://sites.google.com/site/chrisharrington/

e: It's only WCW and WWE though, with some random promotions thrown in.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Bushwhackers have a 5 star match the meltz was in attendance for.

Sheepherders/Fantastics at the Crockett Cup '86. I don't think I've ever seen a full cut of the match, just clips, but it was honestly hard to believe the Sheepherders went on to be so terrible.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Tokyo Slutty Gal throwing around 62lbs of mental in this here thread.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I think he's rated 3 Wargames matches 5* and I wouldn't agree with any of them. But there are way more matches I'd give 5* that he didn't than matches he gave 5* that I wouldn't have.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Dunbar posted:

I think he's rated 3 Wargames matches 5* and I wouldn't agree with any of them. But there are way more matches I'd give 5* that he didn't than matches he gave 5* that I wouldn't have.
Again, that comes down to context. If you watched the feud leading up to it and watched it the night it happened it was probably a whole lot more exciting than say -- Mankind vs Undertaker in Hell in a Cell retroactively. For the time, those Wargame matches were really drat good.

And at the same time there's always matches anyone would rate 5* or wonder why Meltzer rated that one 5*. He's a guy who knows a lot about wrestling, he's the premier wrestling journalist, but that doesn't mean his opinions are what you should believe too. It's just the most revered list of wrestling reviews on the internet because he's the most qualified.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Dunbar posted:

Wargames '92 is absolutely deserving, IMO. My favorite WCW match ever.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Good god I came home to 100+ new posts in this thread and thought Vinny had died or something

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

KungFu Grip posted:

There is some random lovely brawl that got five stars from an FMW show in California that involved Horace Hogan and at least two other lovely wrestlers. Odds are that Dave was there live and was losing his mind about how hectic it was and overrated it.

This was actually pretty good. Weird, but good. Also I don't think it could have really been five stars, even if it weren't for the two badass luchas doing awesome poo poo in the middle of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

oatgan posted:

does Dave Meltzer love breasts as much as Roger Ebert does

This is one of those,"Could God make something so heavy that even he could not lift it?" type questions.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The FMW and SMW ***** absolutely deserve five stars because it lets me post stupid poo poo like "Daniel Bryan isn't that good, he doesn't have any five star matches and even Taz has one!"

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Speaking of stars, but what has been all of Big Dave Meltzer's star ratings of this G1?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

They've mostly been posted in the G-1 thread. Nothing has gotten the full monty. ****3/4 has gone to Suzuki/Styles, Tanahashi/Ishii, Shibata/Honma and maybe something I'm forgetting. There have been a whole mess of ****1/2 matches.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Dunbar posted:

They've mostly been posted in the G-1 thread. Nothing has gotten the full monty. ****3/4 has gone to Suzuki/Styles, Tanahashi/Ishii, Shibata/Honma and maybe something I'm forgetting. There have been a whole mess of ****1/2 matches.

These stars should have asterisks next to them to denote they're from a tournament Dave considers the best of all time

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

savinhill posted:

These stars should have asterisks next to them to denote they're from a tournament Dave considers the best of all time

and that these wrestlers were surely all on steroids. CM Punk vs Samoa Joe is the only pure ***** match... although can we be sure of Samoa Joe being clean?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

As long as we can all agree that Manami Toyota v. Kyoto Inoue from the 1992 Wrestlemarinpiad show was the only *****+++ match ever, perhaps we can begin to heal the wounds that are tearing PSP apart.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I love Austin's podcast but I can't stand the people who call into his call-in show. Please don't literally say "I'm markin' out bro" as soon as Steve picks up the phone and asks how you're doing.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

I love Austin's podcast but I can't stand the people who call into his call-in show. Please don't literally say "I'm markin' out bro" as soon as Steve picks up the phone and asks how you're doing.

At least Striker can still afford to have a phone

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

One thing I love about the Talk'n Shop podcast and the Bullet Club guys is they're not afraid to play fast and loose with the "insider" terms and make fans feel like they're included in the fun rather than some sucker on the outside.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This week's SNCJ

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MassRafTer posted:

The FMW and SMW ***** absolutely deserve five stars because it lets me post stupid poo poo like "Daniel Bryan isn't that good, he doesn't have any five star matches and even Taz has one!"

Numbers are facts bro, can't argue with them.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
most overrated 5 star match is probably that misawa/kawada 97 headdrop spotfest that got *****+ or some AJW sprint where they do a million cool moves for no reason. there was some great AJW stuff but it was definitely the precursor to the post-2000s super indie workrate style in some ways

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

MassRafTer posted:

and that these wrestlers were surely all on steroids. CM Punk vs Samoa Joe is the only pure ***** match... although can we be sure of Samoa Joe being clean?

Hah, that reminds me of the story from the Joe/Punk shoot where when they decided to go an hour Joe had a moment of realization that he was going to have to get on the treadmill and do cardio and was like "gently caress."

Or something to that effect, haven't watched that shoot in years. That would be a good pair to do a new one and reflect on their careers ten years after.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I really don't care much about star ratings at all, but a topic about the worst/most undeserving match Dave ever gave ***** to would probably be fun.

Bret/Owen at Summerslam '94 would be my choice.

One star for each 5 minutes of "Owen very slowly climbs out of cage, falls down, Bret very slowly climbs out of cage, falls down"

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

epitasis posted:

One thing I love about the Talk'n Shop podcast and the Bullet Club guys is they're not afraid to play fast and loose with the "insider" terms and make fans feel like they're included in the fun rather than some sucker on the outside.

luke gallows masturbated a lot during the g1.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

luke gallows masturbated a lot during the g1.

more like Drew Wankinson imo.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

epitasis posted:

Tell him thank you and put me over on twitter

Ok goodbye

Shinsuke

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I think most to all of the matches that Dave Meltzer rates 5 stars deserve it.

Thank you for listening to my opinion on star ratings, and god bless.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

holy poo poo the caller on today's Observer Live who believes kevin sullivan killed chris benoit and his family lmfao

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Bryan and Craig show starts with a hilarious audiophile argument.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Cardboard Box posted:

holy poo poo the caller on today's Observer Live who believes kevin sullivan killed chris benoit and his family lmfao

Wait is this actually a thing that people think, I thought it was just something absurd that we made up like 9/11 being done by reptiloids

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Talkn Shop podcast best podcast going no joke

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Wait is this actually a thing that people think, I thought it was just something absurd that we made up like 9/11 being done by reptiloids

Some people are willing to believe ANYTHING if it is different to whatever the official record is. That's pretty much the only requirement they have, that it isn't whatever the accepted mainstream take on an event is.

They're kinda like bizarro paranoid hipsters or something.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

so TNA fans then

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yes, I would say that being a TNA fan is like being a truther.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Jerusalem posted:

Some people are willing to believe ANYTHING if it is different to whatever the official record is. That's pretty much the only requirement they have, that it isn't whatever the accepted mainstream take on an event is.

They're kinda like bizarro paranoid hipsters or something.
Didn't Hogan flat out say that he believes Sullivan did it when they asked him?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Perigryn posted:

Didn't Hogan flat out say that he believes Sullivan did it when they asked him?

Nah, he went in an even more deplorable direction by insinuating Nancy was somewhat responsible for what happened to her due to her involvement in Satanism stemming from her old gimmick with Kevin.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/hulk-hogan-talks-to-iusi-about-the-killer-wrestler-200737

quote:

Wrestling superstar Hulk Hogan was shocked when the WWE's Chris Benoit, 40, murdered his wife, Nancy, and son, Daniel, 7, then committed suicide the weekend of June 23.

"He was peaceful and kept to himself," he tells Us.

Hogan, who last saw Benoit in March, says he wonders what pushed the wrestler over the edge.

"I think it had to be something personal, a domestic problem between him and his wife."

And Hogan tells US the wrestler's wife (and WWE costar) had a dark side.

"She was into devil-worship stuff. It was part of her [wrestling] character, but [she was] somebody who gets so close to their character, someone who gets into their character too much. Sometimes these people believe their own publicity."

Thauros fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 11, 2014

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Heyman and Batista were on The LAW as well as a noted WrestlezoneWashington Post source.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yes, I would say that being a TNA fan is like being a truther.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sometimes these people believe their own publicity.

:ironicat: barfing :ironicat:s.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

lmao hogan is such a comically terrible person

• Locked thread