Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

PierreTheMime posted:

Can't wait for the points increase on Pyrovores so they can sell me on something else.

GW! :argh:

Watch them bring back WSYWIG for Tyranids only, then switch fleshborers and spinefists again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

spacegoat posted:

Watch them bring back WSYWIG for Tyranids only, then switch fleshborers and spinefists again.

As if any non-Tyranid player can tell the difference between most 'nid weapons.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

I'm not sure I follow. Demon princes were amazing in 6th and are still good/great with the changes to flying monstrous creatures. The Chaos Demons version is arguably better than the Chaos Marine one, but it still has its place. The defiler has always been bad and probably will continue to be. It's huge, expensive, weirdly fragile at AV 12, and can't even fire most of its weapons thanks to its ordnance. It even got a bunch of new rules for being a demon engine and it still sucks.

Edit: In hindsight, this post is a little antagonistic. I didn't mean it that way. :ohdear:

Its cools your just making a point.

Firstly, Daemon princes are massively over priced for what they are (145 for a t5 4w monsterous creature that has to pay 40pts for a decent armour upgrade is bullshit), thats before I have to buy them wings to make them a flying monsterous creature so they can last longer but even then they suffer from the assault nerf that flying MC's received. Case I point, my Daemon prince was killed by a round of bolter fire as he waited to charge a unit of marines just after leaving swooping mode. Bolter fire.

In fairness though, I forgot add that defilers got a massive boost this edition seeing as its kuch harder to one shot them. For example it 5 turns of constant fire for mine to die today, all the while denying a flank and an objective. True they stilk are over costed but now they are at least b usable.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Foul Ole Ron posted:

In fairness though, I forgot add that defilers got a massive boost this edition seeing as its kuch harder to one shot them. For example it 5 turns of constant fire for mine to die today, all the while denying a flank and an objective. True they stilk are over costed but now they are at least b usable.

Defilers are still over costed crap and I'd argue that they're still unusable because they suffer from the standard GW unit problem of trying to do too many things

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ChrisAsmadi posted:

What does it do? Oh okay, yeah just roll.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

Defilers are still over costed crap and I'd argue that they're still unusable because they suffer from the standard GW unit problem of trying to do too many things

When was the last time you used one ?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Foul Ole Ron posted:

When was the last time you used one ?

A couple of months back. I have one in my Iron Warriors army, though "used" is a strong word, given how little it really got to do.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Word. Soulgrinders are so much better at what they are trying to do.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

AbusePuppy posted:

The Lynx isn't too unkind these days; the Pulsar is still a beast against vehicles, but it's no longer a "murder everything" vehicle. The Sonic Lance is pretty nasty, but its short range is a lot more relevant on the fragile Lynx, so while it's a mean trick, it's not unbeatable.

I'm picturing at least one game in a tournament where the Lynx, cloaked in Invisibility, runs around dropping dinner plates and ramming/tank-shocking anything close.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

A couple of months back. I have one in my Iron Warriors army, though "used" is a strong word, given how little it really got to do.
To be fair, Defilers are one of those things that are either passable or trash depending on what your opponent has for hard AT. If your opponent has one or two Lascannons, or relies on glancing vehicles to death, the Defiler is solid. One Lascannon can still murder you with good rolls, but as long you don't lose the Battlecannon or your mobility, you have a reasonable chance of taking it on the chin and moving forward. Similarly, S7-8 is capable of penning you, but these weapons normally lack a modifier. Between the Invuln and IWND, you can just keep trucking through a storm of fire if you don't lose parts of the Defiler to fire. In both cases, taking extra targets for those weapons does tend to force your opponent to make hard choices and keep the Defiler (or something else important) alive longer.

If your opponent has a bunch of hard AT, through either walls of Lascannons, dropping in Meltas, or whatever Xenos do, you're pretty boned, though. Most of those shots will get through - the Invuln only does so much - and that positive modifier means that half the time the dice are going to cough up something that can really ruin your day. Enough get through, something miserable happens, that's that.

In either case, it's not that hot. The Battlecannon can't kill tanks anymore, so it's mostly to strip hull points and screw with shooting or to blast holes in hordes. Even factoring in the Reaper Autocannon, you can get this cheaper or better in other places in the book. It's slow as balls, so it's CC never comes into effect unless the enemy moved into range or you spent five turns walking towards a unit that sat and waited to be punch.

Naramyth posted:

Word. Soulgrinders are so much better at what they are trying to do.
Soulgrinders are more survivable, have more options, and are cheaper. The trade is range, I guess, but that's not such a big deal. It's just depressing comparing the two unit entries. There's really no reason to take a Defiler over a Soulgrinder unless you want fluff - you're better off running the Defiler as a Soul Grinder to at least keep the radder model.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Sometimes, just for fun, I will make up weapons for my Tyranids and see if I can convince people they are real. "Yes, my Hive Tyrant is equipped with twin-linked Ripchoker Beetles, one set of Dicing Razors, and the Defensestration, Acid Eyes, and Pulchritude biomorphs." After a long pause they slowly shake off their glassy-eyed incomprehension and venture a tentative "So... so do you have any blast weapons?", just like always. I sigh to myself and prepare for the long war once more.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

AbusePuppy posted:

Sometimes, just for fun, I will make up weapons for my Tyranids and see if I can convince people they are real. "Yes, my Hive Tyrant is equipped with twin-linked Ripchoker Beetles, one set of Dicing Razors, and the Defensestration, Acid Eyes, and Pulchritude biomorphs." After a long pause they slowly shake off their glassy-eyed incomprehension and venture a tentative "So... so do you have any blast weapons?", just like always. I sigh to myself and prepare for the long war once more.

Knowledge of xenos is heresy, brother. :commissar:

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
For any other GK players in here: do you run Rifleman dreadnoughts and if so, do you convert your own autocannon arms or just bite the bullet and pay for the Forgeworld ones? I've got two metal dreadnoughts I rescued from ebay and I'm interested to see what people have done.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Similarly, I just trust whatever the Daemon player across the table from me says his stuff has or does. I just know I should shoot that thing, whatever it is. If I don't understand its rules, I should kill it faster so I don't have to deal with it for as long.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Karl Rove posted:

For any other GK players in here: do you run Rifleman dreadnoughts and if so, do you convert your own autocannon arms or just bite the bullet and pay for the Forgeworld ones? I've got two metal dreadnoughts I rescued from ebay and I'm interested to see what people have done.

Converting is cheaper. Plus it lets you put your own spin on it, if you wanna get inventive.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Karl Rove posted:

I bought the forgeworld ones as the other options are ridiculous.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Forgeworld ones are the only option. They rock.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
pff haters gonna hate defilers, im still going to use then to pie plate marine squads.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The Forgeworld ones are the only option. They rock.
Annoyingly, a pair of them will cost me more than I paid for either dreadnought, even though I agree they look sweet as hell. I'm also tempted to kitbash an AWACS-style radar dome on top of each dreadnought to complete the Rifleman look.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Foul Ole Ron posted:

pff haters gonna hate defilers, im still going to use then to pie plate marine squads.

Yeah I mean I just run Vindicators for this

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah I mean I just run Vindicators for this

You do, I use defilers.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Karl Rove posted:

Annoyingly, a pair of them will cost me more than I paid for either dreadnought, even though I agree they look sweet as hell. I'm also tempted to kitbash an AWACS-style radar dome on top of each dreadnought to complete the Rifleman look.

Some Aegis Sentry Autocannon turrets could work. I've also seen people kitbash Cadian autocannons that you can get for $1-2 each on Ebay. There used to be a steady supply on Ebay from our far eastern plastic injection molding friends that I totally didn't buy for my own dreadnaught that ran $6 per arm. I didn't see any up today, but back when I was looking into it there were at least 4 sets up. Something to watch for, perhaps.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I've only used IG lists and now I'm interested in an army with a lower model count (paiting all those Guardsmen took some time). What would be the best option (as Ogre Kingdoms are for WHFB)?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

radlum posted:

I've only used IG lists and now I'm interested in an army with a lower model count (paiting all those Guardsmen took some time). What would be the best option (as Ogre Kingdoms are for WHFB)?

Imperial Knights :v:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

radlum posted:

Deathwing, Grey Knights, Imp Knights, Unbound Chaos (Be'lakor + Lord of Skulls is 1250 pts in 2 models), Tau-Dar. Basically most non-horde armies have some sort of elite detachment you can build out of.

A better questions would be: what do you feel like playing, and can you make a low model count army for that?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Karl Rove posted:

I went with the Aegis autocannon arms myself for my Salamanders riflemen, along with bolting the targeting optics from the kit on top of the sarcophagus. It looks pretty nifty, even if it's low on actual armor.

radlum
May 13, 2013

koreban posted:

Deathwing, Grey Knights, Imp Knights, Unbound Chaos (Be'lakor + Lord of Skulls is 1250 pts in 2 models), Tau-Dar. Basically most non-horde armies have some sort of elite detachment you can build out of.

A better questions would be: what do you feel like playing, and can you make a low model count army for that?

Imp Knights look nice but I rather use a more "traditional" army. Deathwing and Grey Knights interest me more, though all the comments on DA being awful and the incoming GK codex made me wonder if there were other choices. I guess I can wait for the new GK codex

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Foul Ole Ron posted:

You do, I use defilers.

I love defilers and they’ve gotten a nice buff with the new vehicle chart. Hate the model, but with some conversions you have a crab tank that can sit in the backfield lobbing shells at assholes. Oh no somebody maned up and deepstruck nearby, guess its time to koolaid man through some cover and smash the poo poo out of them with twin linked heavy flamers and 5 power fists.

…but it costs waaay too much. It either needs AV13 and cheaper options, or a points reduction all around with a base cost near 100. Squadrons, like they originally had in the CSM 6th edition focus tests, would also be welcome.

Chaos in general has lots of cool overcosted all around units- contemptors, defilers, hellbrutes, forgefiends, decimators, blood slaughterers, etc etc etc. Its one of the reasons I’m done with CSM for a while.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

radlum posted:

Imp Knights look nice but I rather use a more "traditional" army. Deathwing and Grey Knights interest me more, though all the comments on DA being awful and the incoming GK codex made me wonder if there were other choices. I guess I can wait for the new GK codex

GK codex, if they keep Psy-ammo is probably a better choice. Better HQ options, potentially cheaper per-unit costs on terminators (rumor is 33 vs. 40 for DA). DA would likely be cheaper to buy into and you'd get good looking sculpts, though somewhat limited in armament options since there's a glut of the Dark Vengeance terminators that are mono-pose/mono-loadout.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm thinking of selling two Wave Serpents, would anyone be interested if I did?

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

koreban posted:

Some Aegis Sentry Autocannon turrets could work. I've also seen people kitbash Cadian autocannons that you can get for $1-2 each on Ebay. There used to be a steady supply on Ebay from our far eastern plastic injection molding friends that I totally didn't buy for my own dreadnaught that ran $6 per arm. I didn't see any up today, but back when I was looking into it there were at least 4 sets up. Something to watch for, perhaps.

Drake_263 posted:

I went with the Aegis autocannon arms myself for my Salamanders riflemen, along with bolting the targeting optics from the kit on top of the sarcophagus. It looks pretty nifty, even if it's low on actual armor.
I looked into this further and this looks like my best option, thanks for the tip! I'll have to post them once I'm done; I might build shoulder pieces out of styrene to partially enclose the autocannons as well.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Defilers are cool and everything, but they're a bitch to transport. I can fit three Vindicators in one 2" deep Sabol tray, while a Defiler would require either a mess of subassemblies that fall apart on the battlefield or I'd need to bring it in a small pet carrier.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Defilers are awesome. I played a Black Legion vs. Necrons game recently and the Defiler instant killed a ton of Wraiths and Scarab swarms. It then proceeded to punch 3 Spyders to death as well. That one Defiler basically controlled all of my friend's canoptek units.

Also, The Eye of Night (Black Legion artifact) is hilarious. My friend always deploys 2 Annihilation Barges right next to each other and all my rolls using it came up perfect. It wrecked both barges right there in turn 1 before my friend even got to fire their guns.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

DO IT TO IT posted:

Defilers are awesome. I played a Black Legion vs. Necrons game recently and the Defiler instant killed a ton of Wraiths and Scarab swarms. It then proceeded to punch 3 Spyders to death as well. That one Defiler basically controlled all of my friend's canoptek units.

Also, The Eye of Night (Black Legion artifact) is hilarious. My friend always deploys 2 Annihilation Barges right next to each other and all my rolls using it came up perfect. It wrecked both barges right there in turn 1 before my friend even got to fire their guns.

Black legion player here also, the eye of night is amazing anti tank. Hell I think the BL supplement in general is underated.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

PierreTheMime posted:

Knowledge of xenos is heresy, brother. :commissar:

Ordo Xenos, bitches. Big emps says I can do whatever I want!

Karl Rove posted:

I converted my own using the Venerable Dreadnought kit and Autocannons from the Aegis Line- however, if you're going cheap, Autocannons are absurdly easy to make on your own, you just need two different widths of plasticard rod (available at nearly any hobby or modeling store as well as online), one thicker than the other. With a little bit of cutting you can easily set up both arms for shooty configurations and if you wanna get slightly fancy magnetizing isn't hard, either.

However, with the changes that seem to be upcoming to the GK book, the ol' standard may not be nearly as useful anymore, so I would wait a week or so here until we know what's going on before committing to any purchases.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
WOM used Hades Autocannons for his Psyflemen. It shouldn't be impossible to Imperialize them.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Black legion player here also, the eye of night is amazing anti tank. Hell I think the BL supplement in general is underated.

:hfive: I agree, the supplement is way better and cooler than people give it credit for.

But yeah, it was a hilarious moment (for me) when The Eye of Night went off. Killing 2 obnoxious skimmers and giving me first blood was well worth the 75 points. My friend threw an outrageous poo poo fit about it. That match was the first time his Necrons had lost since 2012 and boy it felt gooood.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Defilers are cool and everything, but they're a bitch to transport. I can fit three Vindicators in one 2" deep Sabol tray, while a Defiler would require either a mess of subassemblies that fall apart on the battlefield or I'd need to bring it in a small pet carrier.

This is the other reason I never use them. Also, Vindicators get the job done better and cheaper, and are more mobile.

DO IT TO IT posted:

:hfive: I agree, the supplement is way better and cooler than people give it credit for.

But yeah, it was a hilarious moment (for me) when The Eye of Night went off. Killing 2 obnoxious skimmers and giving me first blood was well worth the 75 points. My friend threw an outrageous poo poo fit about it. That match was the first time his Necrons had lost since 2012 and boy it felt gooood.

It's reasonably cool but I definitely felt cheated after I bought it. There's like two pages of rules material.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

AbusePuppy posted:

Battlewagons didn't get nerfed, check out the formation for them. Scouting five AV14 transports forward is kinda amazingly badass.

*five battlewagons not included

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

• Locked thread