Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

onemillionzombies posted:

More internal politics equals lots of programming, tweaking and time. How about we let you rename your empire instead?

You can already rename any Title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

onemillionzombies posted:

More internal politics equals lots of programming, tweaking and time. How about we let you rename your empire instead?

We already have the Customizer DLC.

Come on guys, what was the last CK2 DLC you were disappointed in? Can we perhaps give Paradox the benefit of doubt until we know a little bit more than three talking points about the Charlemagne DLC?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's railroaded and narrative-based.

I can wait to reenact the rise of the Holy Roman Empire while in Greece the Byzantium Empire crumbles to Tengri Magyars who all then become Hindu.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

So I punched the new start year into one of those historical map sites to see what kind of map setup we can expect, and, uhhhhhhh...
http://geacron.com/home-en/?v=m&lan...d=GeaCron549629

They're really going to have to get creative to balance the Abbasids.

That's a lot more vulnerable than 867/1066 Invulnerable Byzantine Aryan Fortress.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Considering the cultures screenshot we've seen, there must be some heavy-duty event coding going on for this DLC if they want 769 to ever look anything like 1066.

Torrannor posted:

Come on guys, what was the last CK2 DLC you were disappointed in? Can we perhaps give Paradox the benefit of doubt until we know a little bit more than three talking points about the Charlemagne DLC?

Sons of Abraham was a little lacklustre. Just going to put out there again that PDox should have just lifted the Cardinal College system from Medieval 2 Total War, which actually contributed to the diplomacy and intrigue of that game instead of just being a money pit that gets you nothing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Even with the remarkable turnaround as a studio that CK2 and EU4 have heralded for Paradox, they're not quite out of the "How will they screw this up?" woods yet.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So I punched the new start year into one of those historical map sites to see what kind of map setup we can expect, and, uhhhhhhh...

That ain't a Muslim Clowncar, that's a Muslim Killdozer :stare:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Looking at this map makes me think the 769 scenario would be a fun scenario to play as an ambitious vassal.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Eh, that's not so bad. I had a game where the Seljuks took all of that plus all of Byzantium up to Venice. It was pretty terrifying.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

DStecks posted:

Considering the cultures screenshot we've seen, there must be some heavy-duty event coding going on for this DLC if they want 769 to ever look anything like 1066.

There's always been alpha_story.txt in the CK2 common folder that refers to protected characters, popup boxes, and disallowing specific events for the player.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

In my last muslin game, my Arabian Empire was about this size. Then I conquered Italy and France.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

DStecks posted:

If it means something like "King and empire level titles get unique "traits" like characters do", that would be loving cool.

You know, come to think of it, "customizable kingdoms and empires" being a sort of "dynamic proto-national idea" system could be kinda cool. Like a kingdom that wages lots of crusades gaining them a "Crusader Kingdom" trait that provides piety bonuses and damage against heathens. Losing large chunks of de jure territory gets you the "Declining Realm" trait, impacting the prestige and morale of the remaining de jure vassals. Successfully defending against constant invasion giving you "Stalwart Defenders", a defensive boost within the de jure territories of the title. Endless vassal wars within your realm gets a "Fractious Nobles" trait, allowing vassals within the realm a CB on any one county within the realm in their lifetime. Over time, kingdom titles become more than a geographical construct - they become a living history of the realm itself, making each kingdom truly unique. At the beginning of the game, there may be no difference between Castille and Aragon - by the end, perhaps Castille has become the spearhead of Christendom, endlessly famed for war against the heathen despite being constantly riven by civil wars endemic to the kingdom, while Aragon has become a rich land of highly able administrators who find it easy to convince other thrones into marriage alliances.

drat, now I'm gonna be disappointed when it turns out this isn't it either.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Tomn posted:

You know, come to think of it, "customizable kingdoms and empires" being a sort of "dynamic proto-national idea" system could be kinda cool. Like a kingdom that wages lots of crusades gaining them a "Crusader Kingdom" trait that provides piety bonuses and damage against heathens. Losing large chunks of de jure territory gets you the "Declining Realm" trait, impacting the prestige and morale of the remaining de jure vassals. Successfully defending against constant invasion giving you "Stalwart Defenders", a defensive boost within the de jure territories of the title. Endless vassal wars within your realm gets a "Fractious Nobles" trait, allowing vassals within the realm a CB on any one county within the realm in their lifetime. Over time, kingdom titles become more than a geographical construct - they become a living history of the realm itself, making each kingdom truly unique. At the beginning of the game, there may be no difference between Castille and Aragon - by the end, perhaps Castille has become the spearhead of Christendom, endlessly famed for war against the heathen despite being constantly riven by civil wars endemic to the kingdom, while Aragon has become a rich land of highly able administrators who find it easy to convince other thrones into marriage alliances.

drat, now I'm gonna be disappointed when it turns out this isn't it either.

Your idea sounds too cool to not be a bitch to program, so we're definitely not getting it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The General posted:

A story driven narrative, evolving around events of Charlemagne.

:stare:

hosed up, if true.

CKII is like XCOM, nobody gives a poo poo about premade characters like Zhang. We care about OUR characters and OUR story. In a game stretching over centuries with thousands and thousands of characters, focusing a ton of events on a couple decades of one historical figure's life would be... a waste? Way better to spend that effort on events for the general 'pool' that can happen to anyone.

When they talked about more story telling focused DLC I thought they were talking about adding a bunch of stuff like the 'son of satan' event chain.

I'm sure there's quite a bit more to the DLC, but I gotta say, it's hard to get on board with story driven narrative events about the life of a historical figure in a game which is all about emergent gameplay. :ughh:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

hosed up, if true.

First thing I'm going to do when I get this is start as Charlemagne and then command console to set off the Aztecs.

The rise of the Holy Roman Empire, with 100% more Aztecs!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I don't really get why you guys are being so petulant when we don't even have all that much information.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

First thing I'm going to do when I get this is start as Charlemagne and then command console to set off the Aztecs.

The rise of the Holy Roman Empire, with 100% more Aztecs!

Edit: Nevermind, dumb and unfunny pedantism

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Doomdark says two random Duchy together will make a titular kingdom and vice versa for Kingdoms to Empires with the Charlemagne expac.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
^ :arghfist::(

nutranurse posted:

Your idea sounds too cool to not be a bitch to program, so we're definitely not getting it.

We're not, Doomdark just explained that it's if you own any two or more duchies/kingdoms you can create a higher level title.
He doesn't specify if they must border each other.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 14, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A thought for the story-driven thing: perhaps being able to set goals for your dynasty? So one character could set the dream "I will unite X kingdom," and then if he dies with that dream unfulfilled, his heir takes up that quest. No idea what kind of gameplay impact that would have.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bel Monte posted:

It's not, Doomdark just explained that it's if you own any two or more duchies/kingdoms you can create a higher level title.
He doesn't specify if they must border each other.

I can see how this works easily. You already have the Petty Kings mechanic, the crowning just bumps the title up to a titular Kingdom. How you'd get a second kingdom from conquest would be more interesting in that early time frame; the de jure Kingdoms as we know it outright didn't exist then.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

nutranurse posted:

I don't really get why you guys are being so petulant when we don't even have all that much information.

I think it could be fun and it's something new to try out, I remember the Game of Thrones mod did something similar.

I'm just laughing at the idea of trying to do a narrative storyline with the rise of the HRE when you could have Muslims burst into France and then suddenly all turn Norse :dota101:

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

YouTuber posted:

Doomdark says two random Duchy together will make a titular kingdom and vice versa for Kingdoms to Empires with the Charlemagne expac.

...There's been this little mod that allows you to do that forever. CK2+ let you make a kingdom for every culture, at least it did at one point.

I mean it's nice, but not for the price-tag they're wanting.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

YouTuber posted:

Make Doomdark spill the rest of the beans.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
Hopefully they have more internal mechanics; seeing as they might be capturing the big chaos between abbasids and umayyads there could be fun there. Also hopefully a whole bunch of byzantine palace fuckery.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I really like this idea, always felt the dejure kingdom/empire system was way too constraining and boring. Also gives the dejure duchy drift system a reason to exist, so after 100 years carcasonne or whatever will be part of your kingdom of toulouse, rather than aquitaine

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

YouTuber posted:

Well, that's not worth $20.

Final hopes rest on this narrative story-driven stuff coming off well, I guess.

Just two duchies for a kingdom, though? Sounds a bit mad - any random four-province duke could declare himself a king if he got shook loose in an independence war.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

YouTuber posted:

Oh so they basically took the titular title generator and implemented it into the game as a major feature. Yaa.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 14, 2014

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rejected Fate posted:

...There's been this little mod that allows you to do that forever. CK2+ let you make a kingdom for every culture, at least it did at one point.

Although that requires three duchies or kingdoms, which honestly seems better to me. Two seems a bit low/easy.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I think it could be fun and it's something new to try out, I remember the Game of Thornes mod did something similar.

I'm just laughing at the idea of trying to do a narrative storyline with the rise of the HRE when you could have Muslims burst into France and then suddenly all turn Norse :dota101:

I mean if the event chain and bookmark are the main features they're working on I hope that the chain's extensive enough to carry out on the geopolitical stage, rather than be limited to the character and a limited number of random throwaway situations.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I think it could be fun and it's something new to try out, I remember the Game of Thornes mod did something similar.

Maybe we'll see a "new" Pagan group for the Germanic pagan gods distinct from the Norse. Donar and Thor are closely related by the rites were different.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I can see customizable kingdoms being one of three things. First, and most likely, change names, adjective, and Coat of Arms when you found the kingdom.

Second, more laws allowing things like free title revocation and such, to represent the nature of Feudalism in that realm.

Third, and most insane, no de jure lands at the start apart from sensible things like Byzantium and such. Instead there are just tribes, and when you conquer a specific amount of land you seek to make it a Kingdom through, say, Papal approval for Catholics. Then it becomes de jure that new Kingdom. Same with Empires.

Edit: or doomdark will spill the beans while I'm phone posting. That works too.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 14, 2014

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Landsknecht posted:

Hopefully they have more internal mechanics; seeing as they might be capturing the big chaos between abbasids and umayyads there could be fun there. Also hopefully a whole bunch of byzantine palace fuckery.

I'm holding out for this, but I suspect that the $20 price tag is probably just them connecting up the last 300 years to 1066 as selectable, so you'd be able to play at any point from 769 to 1066.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Actually, I changed my mind, two duchies for a kingdom could work out amazingly...if there aren't any de-jure kingdoms beyond the Byzantine ones in the new start.

The moment a realm collapses, everyone declares himself king. Enormous amounts of pissfighting for the next century or so as everyone works out who is actually in control of what. With no pre-set de jure realms, large empires aren't super-stable at first and all of Europe is thrown into a blender to produce dramatically different outcomes and totally different blobs for the rest of the game.

Edit: Damnit, mostly beaten. Still a little different, though!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

CKII is like XCOM, nobody gives a poo poo about premade characters like Zhang.

Everybody loves Vandad Karen.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
In what kind of shape were the Zoroastrians/Jews in 769? Because man, the 866 start is rough.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

In what kind of shape were the Zoroastrians/Jews in 769? Because man, the 866 start is rough.

Zoroastrians had a little tiny Sassanid rump state about to be wiped out by the Caliphate. I'm not sure if this if before or after the Chinese gave some exiled noble an army to try and retake Persia, but that would make for a kickass horde event.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So I guess we're not gonna get the epic Intrigue & Diplomacy expansion I was hoping for. :( Bummer.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

So I guess we're not gonna get the epic Intrigue & Diplomacy expansion I was hoping for. :( Bummer.

At this rate the game will continue being expanded on for at least another year or two, so you'll get your chance yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

DrSunshine posted:

I'm not gonna get the Skeletons expansion I was hoping for :smith:

• Locked thread