Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you forgot to chill your wine, you can pop in some wine ice cubes and not water down your wine.

That's a great hack if the only thing you know about wine is NEEDS TO BE CHILL.

monkeytennis posted:

I think the wine cubes are for using in cooking. I could see me throwing a couple in the spag bol for instance instead of opening a fresh bottle to add some. The only problem is I never seem to have any left over wine. :iiam:
Why wouldn't you just buy some wine, use some in the food and drink the rest with the food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Choco1980 posted:

On Mythbusters, they took this principal, and put a little bit of liquid nitrogen in a standard 2-liter soda bottle and closed it (then got the hell out of there). When it exploded, it didn't do very much physical damage, but if you were close to it when it went off, you'd probably have permanent hearing loss it was so loud. A sonic bomb if you will.

What they didn't try to scale it up by removing the release valves on a 200L (or more) tank? They've gone downhill. :colbert:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Lifehack: need cash? buy a house, get it appraised and insured, pay your mortgage as you raise a family and build a life, then burn it down with your family inside for the home and life insurance money!

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yep. If you disassemble the pack carefully, are 100% certain that the new cells are identical to the old ones, know how to solder things (the guy in this hack didn't protect the cells from the heat while he soldered the tabs, which isn't good), and reassemble the entire thing exactly as it was when you opened it up (i.e. no extra parts left over), you should be okay, but I'd still keep an eye on it while it charged and unplug it when it was done.

I've replaced cells in smaller stuff like videogame controllers and netbook batteries with no issue, but never a power tool. I think I'd rather just buy a new battery pack and be confident that it won't burn the house down. That, and they come with warranties--if my dumbass attempt to save a few bucks melted my charger or ruined my drill, I'd be poo poo out of luck.

Don't even need the warranty half the time. I have bought used Dewalts before with dead/dieing batteries called them up and all I had to do is send in the old one and they sent me a new one.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Also, the whole freezing alcohol bit, not that easy to achieve in a home setting.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

DemeaninDemon posted:

What they didn't try to scale it up by removing the release valves on a 200L (or more) tank? They've gone downhill. :colbert:

It's been some time since I saw that episode, but it seems to me they were using the nitrogen for some other freezing base experiment, and the guy at the store told Adam Savage about the 2 liter idea when he asked why he needed his ID to buy it, which of course meant the thought process of "hey, we already have the stuff, go grab me a bottle!"

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you forgot to chill your wine, you can pop in some wine ice cubes and not water down your wine.

That's a great hack if the only thing you know about wine is NEEDS TO BE CHILL.

Also, the whole freezing alcohol bit, not that easy to achieve in a home setting.

wine is about 24 proof (12% alcohol content), so it will freeze at -6.7 degrees centigrade, about 20 F. Easily achievable!

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Samopsa posted:

wine is about 24 proof (12% alcohol content), so it will freeze at -6.7 degrees centigrade, about 20 F. Easily achievable!

Using science to prove people wrong is such a dirty lifehack, you jerk.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Is it just me, or does that page have really lovely formatting? Half the captions are above the images, and half are below. Unless there are pictures missing... In any case it's really confusing and sloppy, even if some of those are kind of cool.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tiggum posted:

Why wouldn't you just buy some wine, use some in the food and drink the rest with the food?

I can only drink one glass of wine, pretty much, and my husband doesn't drink it. So we freeze the leftover wine and it is great in spaghetti sauce and the like. Got that trick from a Nigella Lawson cookbook.

Here in the US, it's difficult and/or expensive to get a decent wine in splits or a minibox.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

AlbieQuirky posted:

I can only drink one glass of wine, pretty much, and my husband doesn't drink it. So we freeze the leftover wine and it is great in spaghetti sauce and the like. Got that trick from a Nigella Lawson cookbook.

Here in the US, it's difficult and/or expensive to get a decent wine in splits or a minibox.

Have you ever considered drinking more? Like an adult?

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Need to use a little wine in a recipe, but don't want the rest of the bottle going to waste? Just chug that poo poo dump the wine on the floor and lick the wine off the floor like a animal you piece of poo poo

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AlbieQuirky posted:

Stupid life hack: Start buying these

750ml split into 4 bottles.

Also fits in your cargo shorts pockets better than full sized wine bottles for easy on-the-go drinking.

Lauren
Apr 13, 2002
The fucking whipshit of all fucking shitter-bongers
Ever consider making vinegar out of the leftover wine? It's easy and there are lots of tutorials on the internet.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Plinkey posted:

Stupid life hack: Start buying these

750ml split into 4 bottles.

Also fits in your cargo shorts pockets better than full sized wine bottles for easy on-the-go drinking.

Reminds me of my recent discovery as a non-drinker buying wine for others that now they sell the boxed wine in individual portions...ie adult juiceboxes.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Lauren posted:

Ever consider making vinegar out of the leftover wine? It's easy and there are lots of tutorials on the internet.
Tutorials are for squares. I only have time for simple and easy 3-4 panel Life Hacks.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Choco1980 posted:

Reminds me of my recent discovery as a non-drinker buying wine for others that now they sell the boxed wine in individual portions...ie adult juiceboxes.

That poo poo is great for sneaking into movie theaters.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You know what's great for sneaking into movie theaters? Hits of LSD.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

You can just leave it in the bottle and drink it another day. I don't know what splits or miniboxes are, but an ordinary 750ml bottle is only seven or eight standard drinks. Even if you're only drinking one standard drink's worth every other day it'd only take you a couple of weeks to get through the bottle, and a glass is usually more than a standard drink anyway (plus you already used some in the food). And wine's not the sort of thing you have to use up immediately.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Uh, because you don't drink cooking wine, what is wrong with you :confused:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wandle Cax posted:

Cook with the drinking wine you dweeb argh

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Wandle Cax posted:

Then chug and spit like a fancyman.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tiggum posted:

You can just leave it in the bottle and drink it another day. I don't know what splits or miniboxes are, but an ordinary 750ml bottle is only seven or eight standard drinks. Even if you're only drinking one standard drink's worth every other day it'd only take you a couple of weeks to get through the bottle, and a glass is usually more than a standard drink anyway (plus you already used some in the food). And wine's not the sort of thing you have to use up immediately.

Wine oxidizes within 48 hours. Even if you refrigerate it (which is gross with red wine anyway).

I wish I could drink more, but my stomach is busted.

Wine-freezing rules. As does my spaghetti sauce, thanks to the wine-freezing.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Wandle Cax posted:

You actually use wine labelled as cooking wine, what is wrong with you :confused:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yep. If you disassemble the pack carefully, are 100% certain that the new cells are identical to the old ones, know how to solder things (the guy in this hack didn't protect the cells from the heat while he soldered the tabs, which isn't good), and reassemble the entire thing exactly as it was when you opened it up (i.e. no extra parts left over), you should be okay, but I'd still keep an eye on it while it charged and unplug it when it was done.

I've replaced cells in smaller stuff like videogame controllers and netbook batteries with no issue, but never a power tool. I think I'd rather just buy a new battery pack and be confident that it won't burn the house down. That, and they come with warranties--if my dumbass attempt to save a few bucks melted my charger or ruined my drill, I'd be poo poo out of luck.

That's what I thought. Also, a replacement battery pack for your power drill or whatever is like :20bux:.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Minarch posted:

Need to use a little wine in a recipe, but don't want the rest of the bottle going to waste? Just chug that poo poo dump the wine on the floor and lick the wine off the floor like a animal you piece of poo poo

I'm always so goddamn happy when someone posts this and remembers that it's "like a animal" :dance:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

AlbieQuirky posted:

Wine oxidizes within 48 hours. Even if you refrigerate it (which is gross with red wine anyway).

I wish I could drink more, but my stomach is busted.

Wine-freezing rules. As does my spaghetti sauce, thanks to the wine-freezing.

I can agree with you that it's a good idea to have wine cubes like stock cubes, but if you put a cork in the wine after pouring it can last much longer than 48 hours. I guess if you're heating it up and pumping pure oxygen in the bottle then yeah but sealed wine is still drinkable significantly after 48 hours.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

pandaK posted:

You actually use wine labelled as cooking wine, what is wrong with you :confused:

It's not actually labeled as cooking wine, I never said that?

Wanamingo posted:

Cook with the drinking wine you dweeb argh

You've clearly never used wine in cooking, each recipe calls for a specific type of wine which may not be suitable for drinking, you can't just pour in whatever bottle you happen to be drinking that night argh

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Wandle Cax posted:

You've clearly never used wine in cooking, each recipe calls for a specific type of wine which may not be suitable for drinking, you can't just pour in whatever bottle you happen to be drinking that night argh
of course you can

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Yeah, it doesn't even need to be wine. Enjoying a vodka and tonic while cooking up chicken calabrese? Now it's chicken with vodka sauce. The food adapts to what you're drinking! #lifehax

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

of course you can

please don't invite me to your house for dinner

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wandle Cax posted:

It's not actually labeled as cooking wine, I never said that?

It is absolutely adorable that you're still trying to claim the high ground here after admitting you cook with wine you wouldn't drink. Why not just fix your poo poo instead of trying to convince the rest of us you aren't a terrible cook?

Ghouligan
Aug 4, 2014

Tiggum posted:

I think the idea is that you're going to use the herbs and the oil in whatever you're cooking anyway so it doesn't matter if they're combined ahead of time. It still seems pretty pointless though.

I think it's actually to keep fresh herbs fresh, some of them can go off pretty fast. I saw that one a while back and I thought of doing it just to stop my mother cooking with slimy brown basil

Frostwerks posted:

Have you ever considered drinking more? Like an adult?

Nothing's more adult than chugging down a whole load of alcohol you don't want!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ghouligan posted:

I think it's actually to keep fresh herbs fresh, some of them can go off pretty fast. I saw that one a while back and I thought of doing it just to stop my mother cooking with slimy brown basil

Nothing's more adult than chugging down a whole load of alcohol you don't want!

No, you don't drink alcohol you don't want, you re-gift it

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
PYF Really Stupid "Wine Hacks"

Fathis Munk has a new favorite as of 10:14 on Aug 15, 2014

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It is absolutely adorable that you're still trying to claim the high ground here after admitting you cook with wine you wouldn't drink. Why not just fix your poo poo instead of trying to convince the rest of us you aren't a terrible cook?

Have you genuinely not heard of the concept of a cooking wine? Or even the fact that recipes need a specific type of wine you may not care to drink that evening? Why would you drink the wine you have been cooking with? Also the very idea that you would just pour whatever wine you were drinking into whatever you happen to be cooking is laughable. Maybe you should "fix your poo poo" or whatever? i don't know I give up

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

We're not talking about having a recipe that calls for rice wine and just going "gently caress it, I'll use merlot instead. Wine's wine!"

Also throw some corn flakes in there for some reason. Whatever.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Wandle Cax posted:

Have you genuinely not heard of the concept of a cooking wine? Or even the fact that recipes need a specific type of wine you may not care to drink that evening? Why would you drink the wine you have been cooking with? Also the very idea that you would just pour whatever wine you were drinking into whatever you happen to be cooking is laughable. Maybe you should "fix your poo poo" or whatever? i don't know I give up

Either you have never drunk nor cooked, or you shouldn't have.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wandle Cax posted:

Haha so now your argument is what, that "Cooking Wine" is a varietal? I sincerely hope you're like nineteen. I'd be put off by how smug you are if it wasn't so goddamn cute. Please never serve adults your cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Holy poo poo, it's clear that none of you have ever drank wine or cooked a meal, so shut up.

There is an actually useful lifehack that keeps your herbs fresh, just put them in water: and leave them on your counter

This way, the next time you are looking for an ice cube you don't have your loving ice cube tray filled with useless tarragon butter or whatever