Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nahxela posted:

He loving consistently lands intentional GS/GH parries.

You're supposed to be parrying that late? It looks like the attack has already finished to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

Also, Shovel Knight cosplay!

Yes!

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

You're supposed to be parrying that late? It looks like the attack has already finished to me!

Latency is a bitch

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Latency is a bitch

I noticed it with Genocyber's stream last night too. He was parrying the Pursuer after it looked like the attack had already hit.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Selklubber posted:

Oh god, I used cheatengine to set NG-level to 7. Did that before the witches and now there's birdmen everywhere, all my stats and level are 1, can't even use the dagger. Think I'll restart and set it after the witches...

That is what happens on NG+ (except stats being reset, but you can CE those), maybe you should play through the game normally?

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I played it normally once. This is a new character I started just for NG7.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

RBA Starblade posted:

Those are on PS3 and it looks early to me coming from xbox. PS3 had an extra bit of latency in DS1 too. So it probably depends on your system and region what looks normal.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I gather people do not use the run button for jumping anymore? :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Azran posted:

I gather people do not use the run button for jumping anymore? :v:

Jumping with L-stick instead of the run button is one of the best changes in DS2! You have no idea how much I appreciate it now that I've been playing DS1 again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The old jump was really weird. Run, jump, roll, and back step were all on the same button.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I still use the old button, but recently learned that the L3 method is mechanically superior. Due to the way the release-tap jump works if you use the old setup, your momentum slows just slightly and the distance you jump is marginally decreased. A bunch of jump skips and stuff rely on the L3 jump.

Guess I need to start getting used to that. :sigh:

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Nakar posted:

I still use the old button, but recently learned that the L3 method is mechanically superior. Due to the way the release-tap jump works if you use the old setup, your momentum slows just slightly and the distance you jump is marginally decreased. A bunch of jump skips and stuff rely on the L3 jump.

Guess I need to start getting used to that. :sigh:

Amen. I had just gotten used to the old one too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I got This Is Dark Souls from forgetting to rebind my jump key.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Yeah, me too :v:

I've meant to ask, are the Alonne Captain's attacks unblockable? At first I thought it's because of the lightning infusion (or whatever it is) but it's probably not the case since just now one of them one shot me from almost full HP.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I noticed it with Genocyber's stream last night too. He was parrying the Pursuer after it looked like the attack had already hit.

That was PVE s there literally cannot be latency there. No idea what you're on about.

Praseodymi posted:

Without using a mouse and keyboard is there any way to do it consistently? I usually just end up casting a spell at point blank range.

Er, what? The button for the shield shove is completely different from the spell casting one (if it's in your left hand, the button is r1).

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I have a 40 Int character that focuses on meleeing with MLGS, Blue Flames, and a few melee-related sorceries like soul sword and the magic weapon spells. Are there any other weapons or spells that would help round this character out? I was thinking of leveling up the dragonrider twinblade so I'd have something beefier than blue flame to enchant. Is the dragonrider's bow worth it? My str and dex are sitting in the 20s right now.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Cephas posted:

I have a 40 Int character that focuses on meleeing with MLGS, Blue Flames, and a few melee-related sorceries like soul sword and the magic weapon spells. Are there any other weapons or spells that would help round this character out? I was thinking of leveling up the dragonrider twinblade so I'd have something beefier than blue flame to enchant. Is the dragonrider's bow worth it? My str and dex are sitting in the 20s right now.

I'd try to grab a Black Huntsmans (is this what it's called?) Bow instead. It's a stronger bow, and you don't have to waste dragon bone on it.

Speaking of bows, I tried out the Dragon slayer greatbow, and even with high str I still prefer allone. I love whipping it out and snapping off a kill shot in pvp, and I don't want to have to wait longer for an extra few points of damage. I mostly use it for executions and estus tag anyway.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dragonrider's Bow is better imo. It's tied with Bellkeeper's for being the slowest, and requires more stamina, but it hits like a truck, even without high Int.

For other Int weapons; Watcher's Sword is fantastic if you want a magic damaging Greatsword (MLGS doesn't count since it has the speed of an ultragreatsword). Also it's not an Int weapon per se, but the Spitfire Spear is quite good, and high Int is just as good for the fire scaling as 30/30 Int/Fth. Tho since that also requires dragon bones you'd probably be better of infusion a high base damage spear with magic (Pate's is the best if you can handle the 27 dex requirement).

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The Mandatory Boss Only Run

As everybody probably knows, there's a legit "skip" available that lets you open the Shrine of Winter to Drangleic Castle without possessing all four of the Lord Souls that are normally needed to open it. You need to have at least 1 million Soul Memory to do it on a first run, and when you do you can pass right through as if you'd already completed the first half of the game.

This is interesting, because it means that there are only 8 mandatory bosses in the game:
  • Twin Dragonriders.
  • Looking Glass Knight.
  • Demon of Song.
  • Velstadt the Royal Aegis.
  • Guardian Dragon.
  • Giant Lord.
  • Throne Watcher & Defender.
  • Nashandra.
Every other boss is technically optional. Note that The Last Giant is supposed to be mandatory, but a trivial jump skip can get you to The Place Unbeknownst and thus allow you to fight the Giant Lord in Memory of Jeigh without fighting him. Normally I'd say no glitch exploits but I think jumps are allowed as long as they don't involve out of bounds or airwalk glitches (as with those it's possible to skip way more, but it's fiddly and not terribly interesting as a challenge).

"But hang on!" you might say, "Rosabeth's petrification blocks the path to the Shrine of Winter, and you can't get a Fragrant Branch of Yore without fighting some boss somewhere!" Well, actually no: There's exactly one Fragrant Branch available at the bottom of The Gutter, right before you enter Black Gulch. You can skip Royal Rat Vanguard by just dropping further in the Majula pit, so if you grab that Branch you're golden.

So I'm planning to do a dry run to just see what's available and everything, but as a challenge this seems like a particularly interesting one given all the restrictions fighting no "optional" bosses forces upon you:
  • Deprived start, so you have the minimum available equipment or spells. There's some weapons/armor you can get from starting out that would otherwise be impossible to acquire, and what's the fun of that?
  • The one cheat I'd say is legal is hacking your Soul Memory to 1m for the Shrine of Winter. I think it's possible to accumulate that SM without doing so and since it'd be prudent to do a lot of farming first I don't think you need to hack it, but I don't see much harm in it as all it really does is expose you to much tougher invaders than you'll probably be able to handle. If you do this make sure you hack Soul MEMORY, not souls on hand; giving yourself 1m souls is just naughty.
  • You can level up. You don't have to; I mean feel free to do a SL1 Champion's MBO run but I wouldn't be that crazy. But the Emerald Herald is in Majula so she's not hidden away somewhere to prohibit you. Likewise you can respec with Soul Vessels, although there's probably not much reason to.
  • The only areas you can access are Things Betwixt/Majula, the first part of Heide's, non-Soldier Key parts of Forest of Fallen Giants (including the salamander pit via drop-in), everything in the Majula pit (except the Rat King himself), Shaded Woods/Ruins, Drangleic Castle and beyond, and Aldia's Keep and beyond. Every other area is completely unavailable to you.
  • While fighting The Pursuer in FoFG is technically possible as a normal enemy I'm going to call that illegal because he is technically a boss and the Ring of Blades is a little too good. Since you'll never be able to reach his boss fight without fighting The Last Giant feel free to ignore that as long as you never get the Soldier Key if you really want.
  • There's a limited number of Estus Flask Shards available on this run (like 5-6 total) and only one Sublime Bone Dust. You'll also have no access to infinite lifestones from Melentia, as she won't move to Majula and update her stock unless you kill The Last Giant (which is another reason to allow skipping him via jump, so you're not tempted to cheat).
  • Some merchants are unavailable. Melentia won't move but you can access her limited stock, as well as Maughlin, Rosabeth, Vengarl, Shalquior, Wellager, Grandahl, Navlaan (but you have to release him; you can't complete his assassinations) and Agdayne. You'll never be able to meet Licia or Carhillon, although it's possible to find catalysts and chimes and thus legal to use any spells you can find. Rosabeth will sell Pyromancy but the only way you can cast it is with the Dark Pyromancy Hand from The Gutter, as the regular hand requires Dragonrider and Flexile Sentry be killed.
  • Lenigrast is legal as you needn't fight any boss to get the key to his shop, so leveling weapons is OK. However, you will never even see McDuff or Chloanne, let alone the Dull Ember, so getting shards may be difficult and infusing is impossible. I think the only infused weapon that's even available at all is the Fire Longsword in FoFG. You can still farm shards in Black Gulch, but the supply is limited and hard to get to be sure. So your options are either a +10 regular weapon (and only the ones you can find without a boss or buy from someone or get as a lucky drop) or a Fire Longsword (the Heide Knight Sword is technically not infused but that's also an option obviously).
  • Pharros Lockstones are also in short supply. You'll probably want to use one in FoFG to get the guaranteed Titanite Slab, although they do drop in Drangleic Castle semi-often. The others though, I'm not sure what they're best used for. In theory the supply is infinite if you go to Grave of Saints and get summoned to a Ratbro world, but that's something I probably wouldn't do.
  • No boss weapons or spells, as Straid and Ornifex are unavailable (you can actually meet Ornifex though, and swipe a Flask Shard from her prison, if you use a jump skip in Shaded Ruins). Just eat all the boss souls, there'll be no other use for them.
  • If you're not averse to summoning, Benhart is available for LGK, Giant Lord, and the Throne fights (Vengarl too for the last one). If you get to the point where he can be summoned though you'll lose any chance to kill him for his stuff as you can't get to Memory of Orro (past Pursuer). You can meet Lucatiel exactly once, in Black Gulch; since you're never going to summon her (can't fight The Rotten) you should kill her here as it's your only opportunity to do so (but if Melentia doesn't move this may be pointless anyway; I forget if she sells NPC stuff at Cardinal Tower).
  • You can meet Pate in FoFG and can and probably should just kill him right away (or after getting the White Sign Soapstone at least) if you want his spear. It upgrades with Twinkling Titanite though, which is in very short supply unless you permit farming the Giant Lord.
  • Way of Blue and Champion's are legal Covenants, as is Pilgrims of Dark (seriously, but no Darklurker allowed), but I don't think any others are. If you permit Ascetic use then getting the Vanquisher's Seal is theoretically possible by respawning Rhoy in Grave of Saints. This is too tedious even for me though.
  • There's a Shortbow available in Majula and Lenigrast sells Wooden Arrows, but with no Gavlan there's no Poison Arrow cheese available. Poison Cloud is possible if you get it from Rosabeth though.
  • Ring selection is pretty limited, though you could get the Third Dragon Ring eventually. There's one Ring of Life Protection you can get in Shaded Woods, but not the other two. Binding Ring is legal as well.
I'm considering other restrictions like no Bonfire Ascetic use, although there may not be a whole lot of advantage you can get from that since you can only respawn bonfires that don't have a boss or that have a boss you're allowed to fight. I'd also probably prohibit using the Soapstones to get summoned to other worlds to fight their bosses; technically you're not clearing the boss in your world, but it's still running counter to the spirit of the challenge (although I guess getting summoned to a mandatory boss isn't). If you want to go Champion's and ignore summoning then knock yourself out.

I think it's an interesting challenge. It's not overly difficult if you're good at the game (hell, you have access to Longswords and Maces, you'll be fine), but it is interesting to see how much you can do with huge parts of the map inaccessible. It also pretty much screams out for a Quality build, though a friend of mine made a case for a mage build using the catalysts available (Sorcerer's from FoFG and later Amana/Black Witch/Wisdom are available) and the Fire Longsword. I'm not sure that I buy that given you can only use spells you can legally scavenge up and can't get stuff like CSS, but I guess you have to work with everything available.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
How do you plan on getting 1m soul memory without asceting a boss over and over? It's pretty common to finish NG with less than 1m total SM fighting all the bosses. Sounds like an interesting challenge!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
That's part of what I'll be testing I think, whether it's realistic without hacking the SM and if it is, whether phantoming might be required. You can get infinite souls via co-op, but the most profitable options would be Najka or Rotten I guess, but I'd rather not do that and just hack the SM up.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

How do you plan on getting 1m soul memory without asceting a boss over and over? It's pretty common to finish NG with less than 1m total SM fighting all the bosses. Sounds like an interesting challenge!

I finished NG at just under 4m, I think.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You didn't just killing the mandatory bosses and skipping everything else, which is what he's trying to do. Though really, if you can't have the SM then the great soul bosses are mandatory.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Manatee Cannon posted:

You didn't just killing the mandatory bosses and skipping everything else, which is what he's trying to do. Though really, if you can't have the SM then the great soul bosses are mandatory.
Well even then, not exactly. For example you could kill your way through to Iron Keep and not kill the OIK. Then you'd get the benefit of four boss fights, extra items, Chloanne access, and the Dull Ember. That would all probably help. Same thing with going to Bastille to unlock McDuff.

Getting 1m SM legitimately without fighting a Great Soul boss doesn't seem too hard. Getting it without fighting any boss, on the other hand, is the question.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
You won't NG under 1M unless you're explicitly trying to keep your memory low; my latest run just picked up the Ashen Mist Heart at 1.14M. While I have exhaustively been picking every item up for completion's sake and not avoiding enemies, that includes very few re-runs of areas, no covenant grinding, no phantoming for boss kills, and no consumable soul items used.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Genocyber posted:

I knew it was good, but never bothered to try it until now; attacking with the Sanctum Shield. Good stability (especially if you slap Strong Magic Shield on it) so you're not in too much a danger of being guard broken, 180 degree tracking, quick enough turns to prevent roll BS's, and really good damage output. Made one guy upset enough that he ended up running away to heal the third time I summoned him.

e: I wish I could parry as well as this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HBPOgGBwYM

What armour set is that guy using? The knight looking one. It's cool.

also my computer died right before i finished the DLC :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

That's part of what I'll be testing I think, whether it's realistic without hacking the SM

It's realistic in the way that it's perfectly possible, but it's unrealistic in the way of "why the hell would anyone do that".
I'm the type of person who never skips a single enemy, and last playthrough I wanted to skip just Freja but after doing the last three Great Ones I still only had ~800k. That's with getting every item and some farming too. If you skip all of them you're possibly going to have to grind every mob in the early half of the game to extinction, something that doesn't sound very fun.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

What armour set is that guy using? The knight looking one. It's cool.

also my computer died right before i finished the DLC :(

You should give a specific timestamp but I assume the one you're referring to is the Sanctum Knight armor.

e: Nakar; what is the point of that whole mess, anyway? What use is their in seeing if you can get 1 mil SM while killing few bosses? Even as a thought exercise it seems pretty stupid to me.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Genocyber posted:

Even as a thought exercise it seems pretty stupid to me.

Who cares? People play games for different reasons. Playing offline seems pretty stupid to me. Hacking in items from DLC that's coming out in a week seems pretty stupid to me. Deliberately engineering the lowest SM characters possible (or using tools to outright remove yours) so you can invade newbies at SL100 with a +10 weapon seems pretty stupid to me. He's just doing some other thing.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Honestly I'm not even all that interested in achieving the 1m thing, I'd just as soon use CE to set SM to 1m instead and just play through the actual game scavenging for what little is available. But somebody did ask, so I was curious. It'd be easier to just napkin math it based on the rough average soul return you get from an enemy in an area multiplied by about how many there are, that'd tell you roughly how many souls you'd get per clear of it and if you add all of that up and it's like 200k then you're not hitting 1m without co-op or something.

As for the actual boss sequence, I just think it's kind of interesting to try and fun to not be able to go into all these areas that usually contain things you'd be going for in a normal game (like the Dull Ember or certain weapons/spells).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

That was PVE s there literally cannot be latency there. No idea what you're on about.

I'm not talking about latency, I'm talking about the timing. I've been trying to do it at the very start of the attacks, but it looks like I should be doing it when it's about to end instead.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Cephas posted:

Soulmass spells will help considerably, both PVE and PVP. Just regular soulmass in your case, since 40 INT nets you five orbs from that, but 50 int is required for five crystal homing soulmass orbs. A full volley of soulmass plus a soul spear will obliterate most normal enemies in the game instantly, not counting NPC black phantoms and some of the beefier miniboss types (giant basilisks, cyclops, guardian drakes mostly). This is particularly helpful in the Shrine of Obama when multiple archdrake dads rush you at once.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm not talking about latency, I'm talking about the timing. I've been trying to do it at the very start of the attacks, but it looks like I should be doing it when it's about to end instead.

Well, you want your parry frames to connect with the enemy's attack. Generally speaking, parry frames are in the middle of the parry animation, so you want to press the button a bit before their attack will actually connect, so the parry frames and the attack line up.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

Also, Shovel Knight cosplay!

Guess who :kimchi:

(Almost makes me want to texture mod some stuff to fully cosplay Shovel Knight characters!)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

e: Oh there is one nevermind I'll ask there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nakar posted:

Honestly I'm not even all that interested in achieving the 1m thing, I'd just as soon use CE to set SM to 1m instead and just play through the actual game scavenging for what little is available. But somebody did ask, so I was curious. It'd be easier to just napkin math it based on the rough average soul return you get from an enemy in an area multiplied by about how many there are, that'd tell you roughly how many souls you'd get per clear of it and if you add all of that up and it's like 200k then you're not hitting 1m without co-op or something.

As for the actual boss sequence, I just think it's kind of interesting to try and fun to not be able to go into all these areas that usually contain things you'd be going for in a normal game (like the Dull Ember or certain weapons/spells).

You're not really supposed to hit one million from that stuff, that's just a failsafe in case you're really bad and can't beat the four great soul bosses. Without even looking at the math I can tell you right now you won't hit that, even if you include the bosses up to Nashandra. Pretty sure the most you'll get for a mandatory boss on your first run is like 60k souls. You'd have to grind just to get past the Shrine of Winter but even if you didn't there's no way you're hitting it since you can beat the game with less than a million SM while killing the great soul bosses.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

VEEEEEEEEEEEEEELSTAAAAAAAAAAAADT. :argh:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

VEEEEEEEEEEEEEELSTAAAAAAAAAAAADT. :argh:

I wish I had a pic, but yesterday I died fighting ng+++ Rotten when he had literally no red left on his bar. He must have had like 0.5 hp left. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I had similar happen with the Prowling Magus and Congregation of all things. :downs:

I either die in the first second or the last second of boss fights. It's maddening.