Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Jesus loving Christ isn't there a wine thread where you dudes can go bitch at each other ?

gently caress Suncreen !

So what do you say now, m'lady ? :tipshat:

Truly, a hack to improve everyone's life.

Yes, let me just peel a potato real quick

Seeeecreeeeet. Cool kids only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!

Lifehack #1783: Hate it when you're trying to sleep but your TV is still on? Turn it off by going to your remote control, aiming it at the television and pressing the 'power' button.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Fathis Munk posted:

Seeeecreeeeet. Cool kids only.
For some reason this just makes me so god drat angry.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Fathis Munk posted:

PYF Really Stupid "Wine Hacks"

Want to sleep? Lay on top of your belongings like you're a dragon protecting it's treasure.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

AlbieQuirky posted:

Wine oxidizes within 48 hours. Even if you refrigerate it (which is gross with red wine anyway).

I wish I could drink more, but my stomach is busted.

Wine-freezing rules. As does my spaghetti sauce, thanks to the wine-freezing.

Get a hand vacuum pump and rubber stopper, Vacu Vin and various home stores do them. You stop up the bottle and pump out all the air and it won't oxidise. It's not a life hack though, it's just a product for that purpose.

Ghouligan
Aug 4, 2014
My mother tried that (e: the putting them in water) with mint and then tried to make me use all the wrinkly brown bits (about 5 days after they were bought) in mint sauce
Anyway I get the point of that freezing hack but it's still too much time and effort
Lifehack: use up all your drat herbs before they go off and don't be my mother

Ghouligan
Aug 4, 2014

Fathis Munk posted:

So what do you say now, m'lady ? :tipshat:

Oh heavens no
Quite apart from the nasty nasty implications I so would not trust the biological knowledge of someone who spells it "endorfines"

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Isn't "I have a headache" just a gentle way of saying "not right now" or "no"? People don't usually literally mean it as "the only thing stopping us from having sex is my headache".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's why busting out facts about endorphines is a creepy way of saying "I don't care if you don't want to and I'm prepared to verbally pressure you into it."

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Catts posted:

For some reason this just makes me so god drat angry.

It should because the SEEEEEECREEEET drink is literally just green tea.

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

Have you genuinely not heard of the concept of a cooking wine? Or even the fact that recipes need a specific type of wine you may not care to drink that evening? Why would you drink the wine you have been cooking with? Also the very idea that you would just pour whatever wine you were drinking into whatever you happen to be cooking is laughable. Maybe you should "fix your poo poo" or whatever? i don't know I give up

What on earth are you on about? What are these ultra specific types of wine you just need to use for cooking? If a recipe calls for wine (red or white), or if there's something I think would be good with a little wine, I buy the wine with the intention of drinking it, add a little to the cooking and drink the rest with the meal. It's not laughable, that's what most people do.

Do you really think that specific types of wine make a difference in cooking? As long you've got the right colour wine, you're really not going to notice the difference, so just buy what you want to drink and use that. Do you measure out your cooking wine to ridiculously precise levels too?

I'm actually genuinely quite curious as I've never seen this perspective that you absolutely have to follow the recipe when it comes to what wine you should be using..

And yes, if you want your wine to stop going bad, as someone else already mentioned, vacuum pumps are your friend. A bottle will easily last a week or more if you pump the air out.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

So now changing your social media settings are lifehacks?

And if you're browsing on a mobile device you need to go to the device settings -> Facebook -> autoplay, this method doesn't even work.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Endor fines. I can only assume they are issued by these fine officers of the law.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I don't where you all live, but here you can buy cheap wine for about $5 a bottle. Being tight arsed about $2 worth of left over wine is not something I bother with.

No Manners No
Jul 15, 2010

londonmoose posted:

Do you really think that specific types of wine make a difference in cooking?

They can, depending on what you're making. You can end up with radically different tasting sauces depending on the wine. Not all recipes are specific beyond telling you red or white, but some are.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

But seriously:
Fat but not fat enough? Unemployed so you have all the time in the world?

Found on Instagram, in present resolution on a page that certainly looks serious. About snack hacks. #HACKED

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ghouligan posted:

My mother tried that (e: the putting them in water) with mint and then tried to make me use all the wrinkly brown bits (about 5 days after they were bought) in mint sauce
Anyway I get the point of that freezing hack but it's still too much time and effort
Lifehack: use up all your drat herbs before they go off and don't be my mother

Lifehack: Instead of buying mint, plant a single mint plant and it will last you the rest of your life and also replace every other plant in your garden and half the grass on your lawn.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Yup, that's definitely gonna stop a goon.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Hate being pregnant? Check out this one weird trick discovered by my husband when I tripped down the stairs like the clumsy bitch I am. #babyhacks

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

RandomFerret posted:

Lifehack: Instead of buying mint, plant a single mint plant and it will last you the rest of your life and also replace every other plant in your garden and half the grass on your lawn.

Is mint a pest plant that takes over easily or something?

No Manners No
Jul 15, 2010
Just toss in some nasty toothpaste mints.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Nutsngum posted:

A pest, no. Resilient and fast growing, yes.

It makes mowing the lawn smell amazing, by the way.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
Also, re: garden chat, Rosemary will do the same

Lifehack: you can plant herbs in the ground who knew???? I've been buying them at the store lol!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Those Vacu Vin pump things don't work, the vacuum doesn't hold for very long. Just let the wine breath enough to taste great then put the cork back in. It will keep for a day or two if not too warm. Or just drink it with friends if you can't manage a whole bottle (what do you mean you haven't got any friends?).

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Nutsngum posted:

Mint and dill will start popping up all over the place the year after you first plant it. Dill especially, although it's called a weed for a reason.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Haha so now your argument is what, that "Cooking Wine" is a varietal? I sincerely hope you're like nineteen. I'd be put off by how smug you are if it wasn't so goddamn cute. Please never serve adults your cooking.

What the hell are you even talking about. There absolutely is Cooking Wine, as opposed to just wine you drink. Cooking Wine is usually crappy, which is why you cook with it (mixed with herbs and tomatoes or whatever) instead of drinking it. Wandle Cax is absolutely correct when he says you don't drink Cooking Wine (because it's poo poo to drink, you see). What the hell!

http://winefolly.com/review/choose-cooking-wine/

Here's an actual related LifeHack: Teens can buy cooking wine to drink because it isn't controlled by the Liquor control board, it's a viewed as a sauce or vinegar (in some countries I guess).

stratdax has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Aug 15, 2014

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

stratdax posted:

What the hell are you even talking about. There absolutely is Cooking Wine, as opposed to just wine you drink. Cooking Wine is usually crappy, which is why you cook with it (mixed with herbs and tomatoes or whatever) instead of drinking it. Wandle Cax is absolutely correct when he says you don't drink Cooking Wine (because it's poo poo to drink, you see). What the hell!

Here's an actual related LifeHack: Teens in the UK buy cooking wine to drink because it isn't controlled by the Liquor control board, it's a viewed as a sauce.

The argument is that if the wine is not fit to drink, it's not fit to cook with. Kind of fitting that this argument is taking place on/around Julia Child's birthday!

e: christ, and the original wine cube thing was posted on the anniversary of her death

ellie the beep has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Aug 15, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Countdown to "cooking with wine" showing up in the PYF Derail thread...

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Yeah, let's just be really clear here: cooking wine is bullshit, no real place will use it, and no real cook will either. Just use a red or white that you'd drink. Cooking wine exists but it's terrible and you shouldn't use it.

The target market for cooking wine is literally 'people who don't know any better and see a recipe needs wine'.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Cooking wine is cheap, bad batch, runoff wine that's mixed with food coloring and salt. Fun fact: the reason it's mixed with salt (in addition as a preservative) is so when Li'l Johnny raids the hooch, he's more likely to get dry mouth and a headache before he gets drunk. Literally any other wine (including Thunder Bird, Mad Dog, a child's juice box that was left out on the counter) is better to use than cooking wine. Wandle Cax, consider picking up an inexpensive port or sherry to cook with as the higher alcohol content in those wines helps them last longer. And invest in a reusable stopper.

e: PYF Really Stupid "Wine" Facts

Big Grunty Secret has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Aug 15, 2014

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Wandle Cax posted:

Have you genuinely not heard of the concept of a cooking wine? Or even the fact that recipes need a specific type of wine you may not care to drink that evening? Why would you drink the wine you have been cooking with? Also the very idea that you would just pour whatever wine you were drinking into whatever you happen to be cooking is laughable. Maybe you should "fix your poo poo" or whatever? i don't know I give up

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Haha so now your argument is what, that "Cooking Wine" is a varietal? I sincerely hope you're like nineteen. I'd be put off by how smug you are if it wasn't so goddamn cute. Please never serve adults your cooking.

stratdax posted:

Brontosaurus knows perfectly well that it exists. He's saying that "cooking wine" isn't a variety of drinking wine like Merlot or Pinot Noir, since Wandle doesn't seem to understand you can cook with and also drink from the same bottle.

Also, the word "wine" has lost all meaning to me now, thanks.

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Aug 15, 2014

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Cooking wine is cheap, bad batch, runoff wine that's mixed with food coloring and salt. Fun fact: the reason it's mixed with salt (in addition as a preservative) is so when Li'l Johnny raids the hooch, he's more likely to get dry mouth and a headache before he gets drunk. Literally any other wine (including Thunder Bird, Mad Dog, a child's juice box that was left out on the counter) is better to use than cooking wine. Wandle Cax, consider picking up an inexpensive port or sherry to cook with as the higher alcohol content in those wines helps them last longer. And invest in a reusable stopper.

e: PYF Really Stupid "Wine" Facts

But taking a ride on the Night Train's classy as gently caress right?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Cooking wine is cheap, bad batch, runoff wine that's mixed with food coloring and salt.

Why would you ever put that on your food?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Dump dirty clothes on your bed! Do it, shithead!

Ghouligan
Aug 4, 2014
If you're too lazy to unpack your clothes you are almost certainly ok with shoving them on the floor to get mixed up with all your clean ones you couldn't be bothered to put away

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I don't really get throwing your clothes on the bed. When I'm unpacking, my clothes are dirty, they go straight from the suit case into the hamper. I'm not folding my dirty clothes and sticking them back in the dresser.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

theironjef posted:

Dump dirty clothes on your bed! Do it, shithead!

Nest in your own filth like a animal you piece of poo poo.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
PYF Cooking Whine

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

stratdax posted:

Here's an actual related LifeHack: Teens can buy cooking wine to drink because it isn't controlled by the Liquor control board, it's a viewed as a sauce or vinegar (in some countries I guess).
I feel like this is maybe a location-specific thing, because here in Australia you can buy perfectly good wine for $5 or less for a bottle, but I guess in some places cheap wine isn't a thing? Nobody would buy "cooking wine" here because every supermarket has cheap wine you can buy to drink, and there's no "wine that's too poo poo to drink that you can buy under-aged" because that's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

I feel like this is maybe a location-specific thing, because here in Australia you can buy perfectly good wine for $5 or less for a bottle, but I guess in some places cheap wine isn't a thing? Nobody would buy "cooking wine" here because every supermarket has cheap wine you can buy to drink, and there's no "wine that's too poo poo to drink that you can buy under-aged" because that's ridiculous.

No, it's a thing in America too.