Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BULBASAUR posted:

List of goons with game:

I represent that! :colbert:

EDIT: poo poo new page!

We have a team tourney this weekend, 1000 points adepticon style with painting / modeling rewards.

I'm bringing (because it's all I have painted):

1 flyrant w/ 2x devourers
3 hive guard
5 warriors w/ deathspitters, 1 barbed strangler
4+1 raveners w/ rending, red terror
1 exocrine

It gives me 30 more points to play with, probably adrenal glands to the monsters.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

LordAba posted:

I represent that! :colbert:

EDIT: poo poo new page!

We have a team tourney this weekend, 1000 points adepticon style with painting / modeling rewards.

I'm bringing (because it's all I have painted):

1 flyrant w/ 2x devourers
3 hive guard
5 warriors w/ deathspitters, 1 barbed strangler
4+1 raveners w/ rending, red terror
1 exocrine

It gives me 30 more points to play with, probably adrenal glands to the monsters.

What's your second troop?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

What's your second troop?

Adepticon style is 1 HQ, 1-3 troops, 0-1 elite, 0-1 fast, 0-1 heavy.

If I could paint 30+ models in a day I would slot in a tervigon somewhere. I'm not sure if I want to trade in the exocrine for biovores either (though leaning toward the exocrine).

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Hello, what area will you be located? We goons are always looking for more chill people to play with. Check out the goon map if you have not already. https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=613438

If you are looking for low model count then Chaos Daemons is almost correct. They can start off with a few big creatures who eat up most of the points but have multiple ways to pulling in more troops each turn. Daemons can be very characterful and feel free to make up whatever story you want for them.

Generally speaking Necrons and Dark Eldar are mostly transport based while Daemons just march. Daemons are probably closer to a low model army if you spend points on Daemon Princes and Greater Daemons, and their psyker shenanigans can be fun but not as consistent as you would hope. A good starting game can be 500 to 750. You won't have all the bells and whistles and some armies have it better at low points but you can get a game in on a 4'-x-4' and get a grasp of the rules.

Pick an army based on your aesthetic preference. You will be building, painting and looking at these models for a long time, make sure you like them and enjoy their narrative. All 3 you have picked are roughly all decent as far as competitive wise, though Dark Eldar and Necrons might get a book update by the end of the year. So far most new books have been nice side-grades with tighter rules and small updates to match other books but nothing earth shattering beyond a few exceptions.

Once you browse the GW store and look at all the units and maybe read a blurb or two about the fluff you should be able to make a decision which one you like most. Then we can help you make a decent core list.

edit:doh:

Thanks, I am going to Colorado! There don't seem to be goon groups too close, but that is fine. I usually keep my online and offline separate. (Not to sound snobbish or reclusive, I just enjoy that separation) If I can get the time to finish things quickly, I may hit up some stores in the New England area from the map though.

In any case, I looked at the full model ranges for all three, and read up on the wikia on lore. (I am a big fluff fan) I liked both armies a lot, but I am going to start with Daemons. They seem more fun mechanically, and I feel like I will have more freedom painting and modeling them.

I am particularly fond of the models, lore and abilities for Tzeentch daemons. I am going to grab a book and start pouring over stats and fluff this weekend. (Gue'vesa: the human traitors to Tau really interest me too, mostly from a modeling and fluff standpoint. There is a lot of cool lore in 40k!)

NTRabbit posted:

I was kind of the same! Good news is, as long as you pick something that isn't some kind of Space Marine army you'll be fine :v:

As for the difference in Necrons between Dawn of War and the tabletop that you noticed - they used to be like Dawn of War on the tabletop, implacable robit foe. then a writer called Matt Ward decided that was boring, and turned them into the weird and colourful themed dynasties you see today. Some people like the change, some people hate it, but it is what it is.

Thanks, Luckily, I am not very interested in Space Marines, probably least out of all the armies. As for Necrons, that makes sense. I saw some references of the new models about how they were "Slow to regain higher functions." The old version made a great villain, but I would be more inclined to play the new take. Their lack of factions or individuality in previous versions seems kind of stifling to painting, modelling and storytelling your army. But I certainly understand the appeal of the old army.

Thanks for the help you guys.

EDIT: Going over some mechanics now and not so sure on daemons. I can appreciate a bit of random fun, but daemons may be a bit too much, especially as I am starting out. I am traveling this weekend, I will read through some more in depth stuff and make my decision. I hate to be indecisive, but the gameplay on daemons seems a bit too much for me?

EDIT 2: And I got to some of the crazy benefits of Chaos Daemons. I've ordered a codex, I am going to pour over this thing and decide on a final army. Probably going to align as much as I can with one god. I don't care too much about being great as long as I am not getting decimated by everything.

MrAptronym fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 15, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Good job on the Fear tokens, but don't underestimate having some Love ones, too. Really changes the way 7th edition is played.

http://youtu.be/DgcT2zW4KnE?t=4s

haakman
May 5, 2011
The problem with general sales people in the uk, at least, is that they are all spiv twats. Basically nerd anathema.

Source: I was one until today.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Oh yeah, if you're at Warhammer World they stand out like a sore thumb in Bugman's.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I'm still vaguely angling towards tyranids and wanted to do a dark blue carapace with a white body colour scheme (would get white spray so as not to kill myself).

I was also thinking glacial bases, but I'm concerned this would simply blend into the model too much. I'm down to drop a bit of £ on bases as I'm doing a mainly monstrous and medium creature list so far, does anyone know any good UK based retailers for this kind of thing, and any ideas on colours to go with a very pale tyranid scheme? Thanks guys!

Not going to pull the trigger on any of this until I've finished KR casing up all my Marines and guard though...

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You could go for a hive fleet leviathan sort of look - that way you could skew the tyranids to be a little more warm-colored [for a boney sort of look] and then do the bases with cool whites and blue. Pulling out the claws in a brighter color also help separate the tyranid from the base.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'd recommend bone rather than white, it'll give it a warmer look.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I used to do white, but my new nids have all been done with bone. I think they look a lot better. I also used to do my carapice all emerald green. Now I paint the carapice black, then dry brush on the emerald green. This also looks a lot better.

I've recently been running Guard allies with my nids. The lascannon support has made a huge difference and the list has been really effective. It's not hard to deploy them apart from each other and keep them from getting within 6" during play due to the completely different style of what each unit does.

Primary Detachment Tyranids:
Hive Tyrant - Wings - 2x devourers - Hive Commander
Hive Tyrant - Wings - 2x devourers - Hive Commander
20 termagants - 15 devourers
20 termagants - 15 devourers
Zoanthrope
Venomthrope
Exocrine
Allied Detachment Imperial Guard (or Astra Militarum)
Commissar Yarrick
Primaris Psyker
Infantry Squad - Grenade Launcher - Lascannon
Platoon Command Squad - 3x Melta Gun
Vendetta
Aegis Defense Line

1850 Points

I even wrote a little fluff to go with it. The guard are a genestealer cult. All of my models are death korps of krieg models, so they're all wearing masks and coats to hide their corruption.

A primaris psyker tried to tap into the hive mind, and was successful, but it corroupted him. Before being found out, he was able to infect his commanding officer. The commander has begun transformation to a genestealer, however due to a flux in the hive mind, he sprouted a crushing claw and seems to have gained the ability to regain life, even after being seemingly killed. He is ruthless and will execute one of his followers to keep them in line if they look like they're about to break.

I have converted the psyker and the commander.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Colonel "Stonecrusher Hand" Straken?

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
That is an enormous book. It is like more than half the size of that oil barrel.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Nichol posted:

That is an enormous book. It is like more than half the size of that oil barrel.

The inquisition doesn't gently caress around.

Also, GW has apparently dropped prices on a set. The new strike squad of 10 marines costs 4GBP less than buying 2 boxes of 5.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Just got back from my test game using Skyblight and it went about as expected. I felt a little bad about fielding it initially and then felt way worse when my opponent unveiled his 14-model 1250pt Grey Knight list. We had a good time of it but even playing soft I tabled him on turn 5. He did get a couple of good licks in here and there, but 14 against 57 is just too much to handle, especially with no decent anti-air.

He ended up having a blast even while fighting a losing battle. He got one of my Hive Tyrants down to 1 wound, which then charged his single remaining model (a Purifier with Hammer) through cover. We both went at I1, my WS8 model getting 5 attacks and his Justicar getting 2. I hit 2/5 and then rolled snake-eyes to fail completely and the Grey Knight put an energized hammer though the Tyrant's brain pan.

I shook his hand and offered to bring him a couple Nid bits to add to the model for the honor.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Also, GW has apparently dropped prices
Whoa there, let's not get hasty here, it's GW we're talking about. Are you sure they haven't raised prices of the smaller boxes instead?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
IIRC it has to do with the fact that they had PAGK in five-man boxes that were priced like the other five-man specialty boxes, like devastators or whatever. They're combining two of those boxes to make a ten-man troop box, more comparable to tactical squad. The ten-man box is a discounted rate compared to two of the five man boxes, but if I remember the price right ($60?) you're still paying half again as much as you do for a different codex's ten power armor dudes :thumbsup:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

To be fair, there is a poo poo-ton of bits in the PAGK box (and GKT box too), more so than what you get out of other bits favourites like the Devastator box.
A few of my friends have bought a box each just for the parts to kitbash some Librarians because of the psychic hoods and power weapons.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

HiveCommander posted:

To be fair, there is a poo poo-ton of bits in the PAGK box (and GKT box too), more so than what you get out of other bits favourites like the Devastator box.
A few of my friends have bought a box each just for the parts to kitbash some Librarians because of the psychic hoods and power weapons.

Yeah but to be fair on the opposite end of the arguement, $20 extra for those neat little bits, compared to other SM equivalents?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Dump_Stat posted:

Yeah but to be fair on the opposite end of the arguement, $20 extra for those neat little bits, compared to other SM equivalents?

The Iron Hands upgrade sprue is $22 CAD so it isn't out of line. Expensive, but not out of the ordinary.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Iron Hands upgrade sprue is $22 CAD so it isn't out of line. Expensive, but not out of the ordinary.

I don't know much about the Iron Hands set, but isn't that a conversion sprue for people who want to make standard Space Marines into customized Iron Hands? I thought they were optional bits sold separately and not a mandatory inclusion, or core element of any one boxed set? (I know there was a kit all of their own a few editions ago). The GK stuff isn't separated. So, if you want to buy GKs, you have to buy the sprues with all that extra neat stuff on it. So, I guess my question remains, does the difference in price justify the additional bits that you get with the GK kit, compared to similar, cheaper Space Marine equivalent boxes?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
So a Carnifex can take adrenal glands along with spine banks yeah? I used the spiny looking carapace and I have no loving idea where I should glue this thing.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Rayjenkins posted:

So a Carnifex can take adrenal glands along with spine banks yeah? I used the spiny looking carapace and I have no loving idea where I should glue this thing.

No one you play against will know or care what equipment your nids are modeled with.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Warhammer 40k: Expensive, but not out of the ordinary.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

ghetto wormhole posted:

No one you play against will know or care what equipment your nids are modeled with.
Seconding this. You can probably get away with using whatever guns look the coolest on your models too, since no non-Tyranid player has any clue what the things look like (a trait they often share with Dark Eldar and their less sadistic kin to a lesser extent).

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

HiveCommander posted:

Seconding this. You can probably get away with using whatever guns look the coolest on your models too, since no non-Tyranid player has any clue what the things look like (a trait they often share with Dark Eldar and their less sadistic kin to a lesser extent).

Kinda funny, considering my first game ever was a guy playing Dark Eldar, who was teaching me the game with a friend of his educating me on the finer points of Tyranid play (just shovel the gaunts forward a bit because gently caress moving 80+ models in a reasonable time span). I had to use the Devourers that came with my Carnifex on my Hive Tyrant, when in reality he's rocking twin-linked devourers, but they all basically told me the same thing you're saying. I'll probably end up grabbing some of those twin-linked Devoureres from Forge World at some point, just because I like their look and all that other nerd poo poo. With that thought, I could slap twin-linked devourers on Carnifexs as well couldn't I? At that point, I'd have a 50% chance (not including the twin-linked reroll) to hit with some mean shots wouldn't I? I should really look into magnetizing any future Carnifex models I get.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Cheers for the tips guys. I was going to grab a couple of random gaunts off of eBay and do some test schemes, I'll post them on here for some critique when I do so. I've got tons of imperial guard and was thinking of lascannons + wyvern or manticore for allies.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
I don't play Dark Angels at all, and I have 3 Ravenwing upgrade sprues, (3 of both halves):

I'll gladly mail them to someone for the cost of postage. Send me a PM!

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Rayjenkins posted:

Kinda funny, considering my first game ever was a guy playing Dark Eldar, who was teaching me the game with a friend of his educating me on the finer points of Tyranid play (just shovel the gaunts forward a bit because gently caress moving 80+ models in a reasonable time span). I had to use the Devourers that came with my Carnifex on my Hive Tyrant, when in reality he's rocking twin-linked devourers, but they all basically told me the same thing you're saying. I'll probably end up grabbing some of those twin-linked Devoureres from Forge World at some point, just because I like their look and all that other nerd poo poo. With that thought, I could slap twin-linked devourers on Carnifexs as well couldn't I? At that point, I'd have a 50% chance (not including the twin-linked reroll) to hit with some mean shots wouldn't I? I should really look into magnetizing any future Carnifex models I get.

Yes, Carnifexes can take the same 2x TL-BL Devs as a Hive Tyrant so a full Carnifex brood can be putting out 36 TL BS3 S6 AP- shots; this is also pretty much the best load out for them. Buying that many Forgeword arms would cost as much, if not more, than a full price box of 2 Carnifexes though so most people just say "my Carnifexes have Brainleech Devs". Those Forgeworld arms were designed for the FHT which only has 1 set of arm sockets available so they kinda don't represent WYSIWYG for Carnifexes if you care a lot about that at all although they fit the models just fine.

Rayjenkins posted:

The adrenal gland doesn't really fit onto any of the carapaces other than the "smooth" one and you can't mount it on their chests like on other Tyranid models because they have those spines down the middle. I wouldn't worry about modeling or even taking Spine Banks because Carnifexes are already one of the slowest units in the game so dropping from I2 to I1 for charging through terrain isn't a big deal because they were probably going to attack last anyways plus their D3 Hammer of Wrath attacks hit at I10 all the time.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 16, 2014

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Pacheeco posted:

Yes, Carnifexes can take the same 2x TL-BL Devs as a Hive Tyrant so a full Carnifex brood can be putting out 36 TL BS3 S6 AP- shots; this is also pretty much the best load out for them. Buying that many Forgeword arms would cost as much, if not more, than a full price box of 2 Carnifexes though so most people just say "my Carnifexes have Brainleech Devs". Those Forgeworld arms were designed for the FHT which only has 1 set of arm sockets available so they kinda don't represent WYSIWYG for Carnifexes if you care a lot about that at all although they fit the models just fine.

FHT? Also, I can totally understand just saying this is what I have; that seems to be the atmosphere of my area I play at. I'll probably do that twin-linked devourer model poo poo when I get more money (probably a long time from now). In any case, I've lost most of my aversion to shooting as a Tyranid player after my exposure to the magic of Devourers. I always thought of the Tyranids as this swarm of scythe-claw toting engines of destruction, but I can certainly live with firing torrents of brain-boring beetles.

A FESTIVE SKELETON fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 16, 2014

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Nighttheii posted:

I don't play Dark Angels at all, and I have 3 Ravenwing upgrade sprues, (3 of both halves):

I'll gladly mail them to someone for the cost of postage. Send me a PM!

I don't have PMs, but if they're still available shoot me an email at darkpriestofcthulhu at gmail

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

Flying Hive Tyrant

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

The Impaler posted:

Flying Hive Tyrant

Oh. Heh, still learning the acronyms for all this. Well, it's a good thing I have one of those at least.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Rayjenkins posted:

Oh. Heh, still learning the acronyms for all this. Well, it's a good thing I have one of those at least.

Just take 2 GH and 2 BC, couple them with DPs and LR/SW. Thats a pretty good combo, especially if used with an RP. WL on TW using THSS is also pretty good. Acronyms are the best.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Pacheeco posted:

I wouldn't worry about modeling or even taking Spine Banks because Carnifexes are already one of the slowest units in the game so dropping from I2 to I1 for charging through terrain isn't a big deal because they were probably going to attack last anyways plus their D3 Hammer of Wrath attacks hit at I10 all the time.

I tend to throw spines on my Carnifexes if I have a few spare points because I2 / I1 can make the difference between attacking before a powerfist or not. Plus they're all modelled with them because it looks better than any of the other carapace options.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

Just take 2 GH and 2 BC, couple them with DPs and LR/SW. Thats a pretty good combo, especially if used with an RP. WL on TW using THSS is also pretty good. Acronyms are the best.

Does LoS affect LOS when C:SM are playing CSM?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Cataphract posted:

Does LoS affect LOS when C:SM are playing CSM?

FWIW, RAW in the BRB says that for RoF you go from B2B out unless the TO makes a FAQ for RAI.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You guys are as bad as GiP.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

You guys are as bad as GiP.

Quoting incase of edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

lovely picture time!

Managed to finally get around to finishing up some details to my Praetor and finishing the first half of my first Tactical Squad. They're not the cleanest paint job I've ever done but I wanted to go for that gritty weathered look. I might add some flames to break up the green but I'm happy with them for the moment.

Next up, either finish up my Pyroclasts or start on the next 5 guys for the squad.

Or the Firedrakes...

• Locked thread