Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

Something they show between movie posters is Seth coming in because "talks" fell through with jonah or something. They try to play it off straight faced and act like nothing happened when he comes back for the next one.

Yeah, the thing about 22 Jump Street is that it still takes place in universe but they also act aware that they're in a movie sequel/franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think I've ever laughed more during a movie than 22 Jump Street. There's something so gloriously batshit insane about the whole thing. The characters that are aware of who are playing them, the efforts that everyone takes to try to make the exact same movie again, and quite possibly the funniest pre-credits gags I've ever seen (the fake posters posted previously in the thread). I have no idea if they're gonna make a third, or what the plot of the third movie would even be (at this point it'd have to be something like them going undercover as actors on a Jump Street TV show based on their careers) but I can guarantee you that my butt will be in the seat for it.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
We better do something goddamned special for page 666 or I'm going to image dump a metric ton of lovely minimalists posters. That's a threat.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Frostwerks posted:

We better do something goddamned special for page 666 or I'm going to image dump a metric ton of lovely minimalists posters. That's a threat.

Someone needs to post movie posters related to the numbers 666 :spooky:

Also, I hope those mock posters from 22 jump street are later available for purchase. God, they are loving hilarious!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We all need to stop posting so page 666 comes up around Halloween. Wait poo poo! Too late.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Wait, do I have my posts per page set wrong? I'm only on page 661.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Loki_XLII posted:

Wait, do I have my posts per page set wrong? I'm only on page 661.

I think kiimo meant that we shouldn't post until Halloween, but he posted and...GODDAMMIT.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

lelandjs posted:

I don't think I've ever laughed more during a movie than 22 Jump Street. There's something so gloriously batshit insane about the whole thing. The characters that are aware of who are playing them, the efforts that everyone takes to try to make the exact same movie again, and quite possibly the funniest pre-credits gags I've ever seen (the fake posters posted previously in the thread). I have no idea if they're gonna make a third, or what the plot of the third movie would even be (at this point it'd have to be something like them going undercover as actors on a Jump Street TV show based on their careers) but I can guarantee you that my butt will be in the seat for it.

Well if and only if Miller and Lord are still directing the drat thing. Those guys seem to have the magic touch for "terrible concept, great execution."

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Desperado Bones posted:

I think kiimo meant that we shouldn't post until Halloween, but he posted and...GODDAMMIT.

Funny posts like this are going to head us spiraling in the wrong direction.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

kiimo posted:

Funny posts like this are going to head us spiraling in the wrong direction.

Let me fix it.

Even if it's photoshop stuff I can do in boring afternoon,I kinda liked Dorian Gray's posters. Or maybe I'm biased because Ben Barnes is cute :3:

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

It's kind of gross how much they're trying to trick people into thinking it's a vampire movie.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Erebus posted:

It's kind of gross how much they're trying to trick people into thinking it's a vampire movie.

Anyone who walks into a movie called Dorian Gray thinking it's a vampire movie deserves to be disappointed.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Real talk: I didn't know who Dorian Gray was until I looked it up just now and realized that I've in fact read that book. I guess it didn't resonate with me or possibly I'm dumb.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

kiimo posted:

Real talk: I didn't know who Dorian Gray was until I looked it up just now and realized that I've in fact read that book. I guess it didn't resonate with me or possibly I'm dumb.

Oscar Wilde is great, but the best criticism I've ever heard of his writing is basically that Ricky Gervais bit where he reads his quotes and begins going off on what a pompous rear end he sounds like.

He wrote some really excellent fairy tales, though. Second only to Hans Christian Andersen, I'd say.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
I've never seen that version of Dorian Gray, is it any good?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

K. Waste posted:

Ricky Gervais [...] pompous rear end

I see a problem here.

AndyP posted:

If I remember right they turned a bunch of the gay subtext into regular old text.

I remember when this film came out and I saw the trailer and my dumb kid brain thought "the best film ever!!??!! WOW!!"

Now I see that the quote there trails off.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 16, 2014

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Edit: I'm dumb

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

AndyP posted:

Mhh. It wasn't bad or good, in between. I should say it was entertaining. And yes like Calico said, lots of not-so-subtext gay stuff going on there.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

AndyP posted:

Just watch Phantom of the Paradise. It's probably the best adaptation. You can also watch it for a good adaptation of Faust and Phantom of the Opera (obviously)

Also you should watch Phantom of the Paradise because it rules.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Phantom of the Paradise rules. Watch it now.
Watch the hell of it and never stop.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Desperado Bones posted:

Every poster they have for Phantom of the Paradise is great.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I wonder if the artist for Berserk got his idea for Griffith's helmet from that, although then again it's not a stretch to believe both were just modelling the helm after a bird of prey.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

mind the walrus posted:

I wonder if the artist for Berserk got his idea for Griffith's helmet from that, although then again it's not a stretch to believe both were just modelling the helm after a bird of prey.

I actually thinkhe said that he did, and apparently Lucas got inspiration for Darth Vader from the Phantom.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Erebus posted:

In some ways Dorian Gray is the predecessor to the modern vampire. He's an immortal, eternally beautiful aristocrat who leads a life of hedonism, who exploits and murders the lower classes in the course of his debauchery.

The only thing that's missing is the literal blood drinking, and that's becoming more and more of an artifact these days.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

There's only one Ninja Academy and it stars the always hilarious Gerald Okamura

Watch the movie on youtube here
(and, yes the mime does say something at the end)

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
This is apparently a real newspaper ad from 1984 or so. Both movies came out from Paramount.

Here's an ad from "Alien"'s US TV premiere. Guess whoever illustrated hadn't seen the movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I want that F13 one on my wall.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Robert Denby posted:

This is apparently a real newspaper ad from 1984 or so. Both movies came out from Paramount.

Here's an ad from "Alien"'s US TV premiere. Guess whoever illustrated hadn't seen the movie.

These are both incredible for very different reasons.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Desperado Bones posted:

Phantom of the Paradise is rad for so many reasons but having the villain be cute widdle Paul Williams is just the best :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vst6DXDnzKw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vuikvl7zt3E

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

54: British sitcom movie adaptions 1970 to 1980: The golden age of giant-headed pinup cartoon posters.

Remade in the US as Three's Company and lead to spin-off series George and Mildred which got it's own film.

(remade in the US as Sanford & Son)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
No Python posters?

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

I wouldn't consider Monty Python a sitcom.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ShufflerZero posted:

I wouldn't consider Monty Python a sitcom.

And you would be correct. Sorry, I missed that part.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

uPen posted:

Anyone who walks into a movie called Dorian Gray thinking it's a vampire movie deserves to be disappointed.

gently caress that, "Dorian Gray" is really obviously a vampire name.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jonny Angel posted:

gently caress that, "Dorian Gray" is really obviously a vampire name.

"Oh, is that a 50 Shades of Gray spinoff?"

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

The_Rob posted:

Just watch Phantom of the Paradise. It's probably the best adaptation. You can also watch it for a good adaptation of Faust and Phantom of the Opera (obviously)

Also you should watch Phantom of the Paradise because it rules.

I have seen Phantom, and yes, it's awesome.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

ShufflerZero posted:

54: British sitcom movie adaptions 1970 to 1980: The golden age of giant-headed pinup cartoon posters.

Can't wait for the gritty re-boot of this particular flick.

EDIT: Oh, wait.. I already SAW that film.

Distorted Kiwi fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 17, 2014

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
I don't want to have my 'guts crunched'.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

OppyDoppyDopp posted:

I don't want to have my 'guts crunched'.

But then you'll never experience the joy of TOTAL REVENGE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

They actually made a movie out of Love Thy Neighbour? Holy crap.