Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonkish
May 19, 2004

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Phaseshift? Lancer?

Look at the difference of range. Where do you use a Lancer or Phaseshift? At a distance. Way the gently caress away from the thing you're trying to kill. Now where do you use a pistol? Yeah. The charge mechanic, because of how it's implemented in the game, prevents the gun from performing its most basic function in even the most basic sense. Pistols are fall-back weapons, and the Spiker is bad at that. Very bad.

The tradeoff? It's got a theoretically OHK charge. That sounds ok on paper. In reality, though, it doesn't work: the charge can't be used while cloaked, meaning any Stalker infil that wants to use it has to first UNCLOCK then SIT THERE EXPOSED while holding down the trigger. He's gonna die. Anyone that wants to use it in any other fashion has to sit there exposed holding down the trigger, then line of the shot, then release, and try to control the recoil. If any one of those rounds miss (and they will, because the recoil AND bloom are dumb), you die. You're shooting at someone that is right next to you. If you even get the charge off, you're exposed for so long that it's probably pure luck if you survive.

The long and the short of it is this: charge mechanics work on long-range weapons that are specifically built for them. It does NOT work on a pistol, especially not with the way the mechanics behind the charge work in this game. It doesn't work on a pistol because the pistol is a backup weapon. It also manages to make the pistol part of the gun lovely beyond all reason.

The Spiker fails at absolutely everything that it was trying to accomplish. It fails as a pistol, it fails at as a charge-gimmick, it fails to provide something even slightly different from semi-auto that also manages to be useful. It's a massive waste of time on SOE's part, and there's nothing we can do about it except not buy it. Just like the Cerberus: it's not worth it. It's the epitome of a bad gun. There is no saving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

For an LA sitting in a tree it might be handy, but there's so many better options for that.

It would be total, absolute bullshit if cloaked infiltrators could charge it up to instantly uncloak and OHK people, though.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The spiker is more useless than triage.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

hailthefish posted:

For an LA sitting in a tree it might be handy, but there's so many better options for that.

It would be total, absolute bullshit if cloaked infiltrators could charge it up to instantly uncloak and OHK people, though.

Like they can do with the Mag-scatter?

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Lassitude posted:

If they're redoing some of the vehicles for Player Studios sake, I guess it might make sense that they'd redo player models to allow infantry armors to become a category for Player Studios as well.

Ding Ding Ding!

They are making more armor variants (like composite and drakon) and then also opening up that for player studio as well. Tray said they had a guy working on the alternates and in the future we would be getting .fbx files so creators have to do weighting for their geometry. That's all from the player studio stream, not anything new from SOE live. Which coincidentally is a good stream to watch if you want to know about any upcoming tech the game uses for art or have a smallish audience to compete for golden gun codes and whatnot.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Horizontal Tree posted:

Mag-scatter doesn't OHK.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Horizontal Tree posted:

There's a lot of sidearms that will outright kill someone quicker than the delay between the first and second shot. Despite the latent shotgunmania that lies in the dark heart of every single PS2 player, you still don't see many Magscatters around, and this fact stems from the root cause of the pistol being honestly pretty bad.

You could argue the cost, but I don't remember pump actions being incredibly scarce after they were first introduced or anything, and they were/are the same price

I got it of course, because it's NC as gently caress, and I use it on some loadouts because I don't play this game to min/max like some HA-only turbosperg, but let's be honest here it's worse than the Rebel at everything and at all ranges.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Phaseshift? Lancer?

I don't have the phaseshift, but the lancer can definitely be rapid fired without the delay between mouse click and the projectile being fired.

The only weapon I can think of that did was the old Saron, when it used to one-shot infantry and reloaded after every one.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

:axe:A PRO'S E-PROSE OPS:axe:
:siren:COMING TO YOU LIVE TONIGHT AT 7PM EST, EMERALD NC, [GOON]:siren:
:dukedog:BE THERE OR PROBABLY BE COOLER FOR NOT HAVING BEEN THERE:dukedog:

I'll be leading this motley crue of bodacious dudes and dudettes around as we recite whatever we came up with in this last week! Last week had some rock solid contributions, though fewer in number and larger in size than usual. Let's get a bigger assortment of things from everybody!

Hop in a GOON squad/ask for a platoon invite, everybody is welcome!

If you're gunshy about reading aloud, no worries! As the MC I'm more than happy to read aloud anything sent to me that's at least vaguely legitimate or on topic! NO I WILL NOT READ GALTSE.CX ALOUD NO I DON'T CARE IF IT'S LIKE TOTALLY NC.TXT NONE OF US HAVE THAT KIND OF TIME Just post it here, in the GOON thread in private game servers (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548237), or PM it to me if you're really shy or whatever!

HAVE THIS IMAGE THAT TURNED UP WHEN I SEARCHED FOR "PICKUP TRUCK SHAKESPEARE" TO FIND AN APPROPRIATE IMAGE FOR THIS POST!

I FOUND ONE

SEE ALL Y'ALL BUTTLORDS THERE!!!!1!!1

m'lords/m'ladies

:wink:
:wmwink:

Unclean009
Mar 27, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, it seems the player models are being updated as well, at least according to some files Vanu Labs found. Vanu look like Lord Recluse with spider poo poo coming out of their backs, and they have bright gaudy teal armor splotches now, which should help with night fights.

NC get to look more like football players.

I would also like to see this. Where did you get this information?

INKRO
Feb 7, 2012
Just finished my Heavy Directive grind, now that I can actually play stuff like medic again! :shepicide:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Horizontal Tree posted:

You got the rebel/magshot/commi/underboss to do this already and besides its not like NC actually loving needs their pistols with their insane DPM/reload efficiency. Its a loving insult that the faction with the worst DPM has the worst pistols. VS should have the best pistols if we get the worst loving DPM.

I'd loving trade the spiker for the amp in a goddamn instant, gently caress i'd trade the cerberus/spiker FOR ANY PISTOL in an instant.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Arghy posted:

You got the rebel/magshot/commi/underboss to do this already and besides its not like NC actually loving needs their pistols with their insane DPM/reload efficiency. Its a loving insult that the faction with the worst DPM has the worst pistols. VS should have the best pistols if we get the worst loving DPM.

I'd loving trade the spiker for the amp in a goddamn instant, gently caress i'd trade the cerberus/spiker FOR ANY PISTOL in an instant.

Including the flare gun?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Hey Arghy

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hahahahahahaha no this is too good.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Hahahahahahaha no this is too good.

Why is that dog wearing glasses? It's a good dog, but dogs can't read!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

TR should be hard because their guns have horrible DPS and

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

For real though, which is the easiest faction to play? I only play NC and TR guns seem to be pretty much the best at killing me, of course I'm always within 15m as an LA.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Not VS. All of our guns are lovely versions of TR/NC weapons, with a few that actually stand on their own merit (Pulsar C, Orion, SVA-88).

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Haha wow apparently SOE held a tourney at the event with money on the line and completely hosed it up. They pitted future crew against AJA in a 6v6 with loving maxes allowed hahahahaha then changed the scoring from defending/capturing the point to just kills, guess who the top 3 were? Why all 3 DA teams of course then they say hey lets have them fight future crew who beats a DA team then somehow gets first?

If you were a part of the event you idiots should have loving refused to play because it was such a poo poo show, if half the teams quit they'd be hosed.

*Oh yeah they changed the rules in the middle of the event so everyone was defending the point instead of getting kills then got told oh yeah its kills now not captures!

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

For real though, which is the easiest faction to play? I only play NC and TR guns seem to be pretty much the best at killing me, of course I'm always within 15m as an LA.

My main account is BR74 Vanu and I just made a TR a few days ago and it is day and night on killing things, the quiz reward T5 AMC with nothing but the 5 cert scope on it hands out kill streak ribbons. Really wish I could transfer certs across accounts, but I know which account is getting the the daily deal of the Halberd for MBT.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

TR. Point, shoot, win.

NC takes a bit of skill to use, VS's guns are almost all lovely knockoffs of TR/NC guns wrapped in giant dildos.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

It's still TR. A lot of their (AV) poo poo got nerfed but from an infantry standpoint their guns are still great and have the most forgiving trait for newbies (Large mags)

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

BRB pooping posted:

BTW, [GOON] on Miller, are they SA-affiliated at all? They seem good, a bit dickish but good.
No, they are not affiliated with SA.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Watching early morning VS pubbies march single file up a hill to shoot at a spawn room in a 50-50 to get farmed, nobody on point. How can anybody believe that's fun? :negative:

edit: Maybe they were all compulsive gamblers. How could I know? The symptoms were there. The excitement of seeing a TR pop out of the one-way shield and the jolt of pleasure they got when they saw the words "Spawn Kill" flash up on screen.
Gambling addicts get the same thrill from losing, always thinking "maybe next time", and so they marched up the hill again, lined up side by side, in a show of solidarity for the particular sport they chose to challenge. Against all odds...
"Against all odds?" they scoffed in unison, that just made it all the more entertaining.
"Thank God for rapid respawn changes," the TR intoned.

Erata fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 17, 2014

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Erata posted:

Watching early morning VS pubbies march single file up a hill to shoot at a spawn room in a 50-50 to get farmed, nobody on point. How can anybody believe that's fun? :negative:

edit: Maybe they were all compulsive gamblers. How could I know? The symptoms were there. The excitement of seeing a TR pop out of the one-way shield and the jolt of pleasure they got when they saw the words "Spawn Kill" flash up on screen.
Gambling addicts get the same thrill from losing, always thinking "maybe next time", and so they march up the hill again, lining up side by side, in a show of solidarity for the particular sport they chose to challenge. Against all odds...
"Against all odds?" they scoffed in unison, that just made it all the more entertaining.
"Thank God for rapid respawn changes," the TR intoned.

Bless their little hearts for doing it though, I'll toss down my two ammo boxes where ever they are shooting from and when I hit the resupply cap I'll jump out and get killed and a medic will revive me. Rinse and repeat.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

I just want a complete revamp of weapons so it doesn't feel and look like I'm using the same loving gun all the time.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Halberd is on sale. For an AP Vanguard, is it a better option than the Enforcer (or the Basilisk, I guess)?

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 17, 2014

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Enforcer/Halberd is down to preference. I feel Halberd is slightly better vs infantry while Enforcer eats vehicles. Both are significant upgrades over the basilisk. I plan to buy the halberd today since it's an universal unlock so for the same price you can put it on your prowler or magrider, too. MBT basilisk is very mehh.

Badgerpoo
Oct 12, 2010

Trogdos! posted:

I plan to buy the halberd today since it's an universal unlock so for the same price you can put it on your prowler or magrider, too.

It's actually not a universal unlock, you see the Prowler Halberd is a very different gun to the Magrider Halberd because

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Badgerpoo posted:

It's actually not a universal unlock, you see the Prowler Halberd is a very different gun to the Magrider Halberd because

Something about an adapter plug being different shapes/sizes for the NS weapons to hook into. Boom, SOE Lore Logic!

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Badgerpoo posted:

Huh. Thanks for this.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

Halberd is on sale. For an AP Vanguard, is it a better option than the Enforcer (or the Basilisk, I guess)?

Do you mean AP as in Armor Piercing or Anti Personnel.

If you mean the correct variant, the Halberd is worse then the Enforcer. The Enforcer chews through vehicles much faster then the Halberd.

If you mean AP as in Anti Personnel, then the Halberd is like 2% better. It's got slightly more splash then anything else we have on NC, so it can kill infantry without needing a direct hit like the Enforcer, while still doing alright damage to vehicles. Honestly though if you are making a infantry murdering Vanguard ( why ), just strap a Cannister on it. Go fully down the road of poor decisions.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Rookersh posted:

Do you mean AP as in Armor Piercing or Anti Personnel.

If you mean the correct variant, the Halberd is worse then the Enforcer. The Enforcer chews through vehicles much faster then the Halberd.

If you mean AP as in Anti Personnel, then the Halberd is like 2% better. It's got slightly more splash then anything else we have on NC, so it can kill infantry without needing a direct hit like the Enforcer, while still doing alright damage to vehicles. Honestly though if you are making a infantry murdering Vanguard ( why ), just strap a Cannister on it. Go fully down the road of poor decisions.

My last two Canguards (HE/Can) completely tore poo poo up, with 60+ kills combined between me and my gunner. These weren't farming situations either, these were pushing lanes- though I admit we got lucky last time in that the 6ish lightnings all panicked and ran away when they saw us (and HE does good damage to lightning rear end) and no MBTs showed up.

I'll have that Aurax plating yet! :buddy:

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Arghy posted:

Haha wow apparently SOE held a tourney at the event with money on the line and completely hosed it up. They pitted future crew against AJA in a 6v6 with loving maxes allowed hahahahaha then changed the scoring from defending/capturing the point to just kills, guess who the top 3 were? Why all 3 DA teams of course then they say hey lets have them fight future crew who beats a DA team then somehow gets first?

If you were a part of the event you idiots should have loving refused to play because it was such a poo poo show, if half the teams quit they'd be hosed.

*Oh yeah they changed the rules in the middle of the event so everyone was defending the point instead of getting kills then got told oh yeah its kills now not captures!

Dude Angry Joe was NOT happy about getting farmed with money and image on the line. Everywhere you go he has a literal posse following him in his every step, it's amazing. He also called out how unprofessional it was.

So what happened is they made Jaeger characters for us on Friday and tracked their kills with a dev program similar to Recursion stat tracker. Everything worked fine the night before. Turns out on tournament day, they realized none of our characters were being picked up by the API. First match had to be redone, and one of the MLG VS outfits had been getting stomped but not anymore! They tried to use the community clash accounts but it seems someone (kidriot? I don't know who runs them) changed the password on all of them without giving SOE the new ones. At this point radarx is trying to fix what he can. Malorn is making rounds trying to keep people calm and inform us of what is going on. We only heard the rules once we got on stage.

After 40 mins of technical issues I finally get to play. All the scoring rules are the same but instead of bracket, it's just total score. So you could win your match but not move on. My computer's sound driver was hosed, so I had no sound in my left ear and no voice at all. MAXes were a 100% non issue honestly. You were heavily penalized if the enemy killed one. They only earned one point per kill and awarded 5 if they died.

So I heard it was one and done, turns out they actually had a semifinal and my phone starts freaking out as I'm trying to finish a burger (only thing I had to eat) and people on my team call me back via Twitter. It's Future Crew, DA 1, DA 2, and DA 3 + ringers, so they put DA 1 vs Future Crew and the other two DA teams against each other. DA 2 beat us and moved on, Future Crew beat the first team. They want on to win in the finals which had a unique ruleset (of 10 mins rather than 15) but DA secured 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. We split the money 18 ways. Despite all the issues, the end was good.

And that's how I made $250 playing Planetside 2 as a DA ringer.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I meant AP as in Titan AP. And thanks, I guess I'll wait for an Enforcer sale then.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I have never realized how buggy the underside of the Auraxis Firearms Corp bridge is until Now.

There are literally dozens of pieces of geometry that are intangible. You pass through them like no clip. You can even shoot through some of them.

:soe:

Edit: Question on the Explosives Directive. I think I'm noticing a bug with the Multi-Kills objective. Once you Aurax one of the Devices (C4, AT Mines, Prox Mines, Frag Grenades) kills no longer count towards Multi-Kills, can anyone else confirm this?

Xae fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 17, 2014

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

But Not Tonight posted:

Something about an adapter plug being different shapes/sizes for the NS weapons to hook into. Boom, SOE Lore Logic!

I didn't realize this either. The only MBT secondaries I've bought are empire-specific, I assumed the cross-faction ones were... Cross-faction.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

All they need to do is replace the tank Halberds with a bundle that includes all three like they did with the NS bundles. Do this for the other NS weapons and cross faction is now a non issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Westy543 posted:

All they need to do is replace the tank Halberds with a bundle that includes all three like they did with the NS bundles. Do this for the other NS weapons and cross faction is now a non issue.

Not quite that straightforward: the unlock button in the weapons screen is probably hardcoded to only buy/trial the same same item you equip from that same screen. You would have to change its functionality so that, if you choose the SC purchase option - and only if you choose the SC purchase option, presumably - it would instead redirect you to the bundle.

It probably isn't exactly a Herculean challenge to code such a change, but any time you change anything that involves the real money part of the program, you're going to want to be super careful with it and test it a lot longer than anything else.

• Locked thread