Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Slimnoid posted:

Also consider raiding your cabinets for stuff. Tea leaves and coffee grounds (fresh or used for both)

If you use used stuff make sure you dry it out thoroughly, we used to use teabags way back in the nineties and I had a bunch of tea go mouldy because I didn't dry it out properly :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Dr. Clockwork posted:

While on this subject, anybody got a source for those birch seed pods that look like little leaves? I can't find anyplace that sells them in large quantities, just the small bags at Secret Weapon.

If/when these guys get this back in stock (you can email them they have good customer service):
https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/lemon-thyme/profile

Lemon Thyme leaves are good for fake leaves, just remember to varnish them because like all biodegradable stuff (those seed pods included) they can yellow and fall apart over time.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Slimnoid posted:

Yup. I've done it once before, and it works pretty well. This is a quick-and-dirty instructional on how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jNiiTr8Lq8

Viv/RubbishInRubbishOut is fantastic and you should all subscribe to his channel.

Also, i've had success with making static grass tufts out of faux fur dyed with watered-down paint.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Silhouette posted:

Also, i've had success with making static grass tufts out of faux fur dyed with watered-down paint.

Cheap house painting brushes are also apparently a good source of long tufts - I want to try this with some £/$ shop brushes I have sitting around.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
:ssh: You can also buy large amounts of fake reed grass at the dollar store in the floral department.

I roll my own flock:

I tend to think it looks OK

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I hate to be a negative Nancy here but using food and other poo poo you picked up off the ground sounds disgusting.

Also making flock seems like a lot of work to save :10bux: when one of those shakers will last you a dozen armies worth a bases easy if you just sweep up what doesn't stick back into the bottle.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It takes like 5 minutes of actual effort to make a gigantic batch of flock, in whatever color(s) you want.

Also, I can't stand the "WHY DO THING WHEN CAN BUY THING" attitude. It doesn't belong in this hobby.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Silhouette posted:

Also, I can't stand the "WHY DO THING WHEN CAN BUY THING" attitude. It doesn't belong in this hobby.

I'm with this sentiment right here.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Thirding that. The first issue of WD I bought had a modelling workshop article on making rivers, that was it, I was hooked. Painting miniatures and games.... yea great, but making cool poo poo out of things I have knocking around the house? Sign me the hell up.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

enri posted:

Thirding that. The first issue of WD I bought had a modelling workshop article on making rivers, that was it, I was hooked. Painting miniatures and games.... yea great, but making cool poo poo out of things I have knocking around the house? Sign me the hell up.

Alien cacti from balls of styrofoam and cocktail picks. That right there is a hobby, I tell you.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

lilljonas posted:

Alien cacti from balls of styrofoam and cocktail picks. That right there is a hobby, I tell you.

Goblin green with blood red spikes? Those were the days.

I've got my pink insulation foam in the garage and this weekend (If the weather gods are good) I shall have a go at making some basic terrain!

This will be the first time in twenty years, but this time I have better kit to do it with.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Goblin green with blood red spikes?

Like there's any other way to paint them?

And yes, making terrain as an adult with access to the internet is impossible to compare to making terrain as a 14 year old in the 90's with access to a small pile of WD magazines. So much better, and your results will probably be a lot better from day 1.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

lilljonas posted:

High five mid-nineties gaming brother! :cool::hf::v:

I'll dig out the modelling workshop articles I have knocking around one day and get them scanned. Interesting stuff even now :)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I tend to think it looks OK
That last one would be great as seaweed. What is it and can you get it in brown?

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

enri posted:

High five mid-nineties gaming brother! :cool::hf::v:

I'll dig out the modelling workshop articles I have knocking around one day and get them scanned. Interesting stuff even now :)

This is the best book that GW have ever published by a long margin:

Of course, it tells you how to make stuff rather than buy stuff so it's now long OOP and goes for ridiculous prices. So glad I've got my copy.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Daedleh posted:

This is the best book that GW have ever published by a long margin:

Of course, it tells you how to make stuff rather than buy stuff so it's now long OOP and goes for ridiculous prices. So glad I've got my copy.

Awww yis :dance:

I have a copy of this knocking about at home somewhere too and the older red covered version I think, definitely one of my more sensible GW buys :)

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Silhouette posted:

It takes like 5 minutes of actual effort to make a gigantic batch of flock, in whatever color(s) you want.

I can't stand idiots who put words into the mouths of others.

Don't think that I make a lot of stuff too, but I'll gladly buy stuff like flock rather than spend a lot of time digging poo poo out of the garbage (and yeah I've seen people do this) to save a trivial amount of money.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Update on the Tabletop World order: I have no idea when this will make it stateside. According to the Croatian tracking info, it was "inserted into bag" on August 11.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Numlock posted:

Don't think that I make a lot of stuff too, but I'll gladly buy stuff like flock rather than spend a lot of time digging poo poo out of the garbage (and yeah I've seen people do this) to save a trivial amount of money.

Yeah, half the fun of this terrible hobby is building stuff from scratch or otherwise hacking together poo poo in ways that weren't intended, but gluing coffee grounds to poo poo is super grody.

One of the 40k threads back in the day talked about a guy who glued plastic leg parts to a real fish skull or something, and it made the entire store reek. Don't do that.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Buying a small amount of flock (to me) is fine...when you're talking about a squad here and a squad there. But for big terrain pieces or matching up a whole army it becomes pretty expensive to do it, and it's kind of like building that terrain or fixing your your DIY problem in your house - you know it was YOU that did it. When you need a few liters of flock it helps to know what goes into it, and making it from bulk is easy and cheap.

Of course, the opposite side of the coin is collecting tiny bits of plastic like me and ending up with 3 crates of crap that is explained by 'Oh, that? I'm going to make some kick-rear end terrain out of that!' I think I have various small food containers with just a few tablespoons of plastic chunks in each one, just so I can make rubble paste for the 10 or so MDF buildings I've just assembled. Played on them last night, though, and they're awesome!

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Numlock posted:

I can't stand idiots who put words into the mouths of others.

I think that's a pretty fair sentiment but there's a big difference between digging in the garbage for stuff and just drying out tea leaves or dying wood shavings instead of buying flock. Also, a lot of times it's not about saving money, it's just about finding a new way to do things.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Silhouette posted:

Call me one of the Sandra Lees of the miniatures world. I buy most of my stuff pre-made, am more concerned with how it looks on the table than how much effort I put into it, and by the end of a session I need a drink. And I am unrepentant.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Update on the Tabletop World order: I have no idea when this will make it stateside. According to the Croatian tracking info, it was "inserted into bag" on August 11.

Lol. No problem. Thanks for the update and for handling the big order.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

enri posted:

Awww yis :dance:

I have a copy of this knocking about at home somewhere too and the older red covered version I think, definitely one of my more sensible GW buys :)

Same, read the blue and red books religiously as a kid.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
I had a friend loan me the Red book back when we were in high school. I never gave it back :c00l:

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
I remember that the red book is more "build from crap you've got laying round the house" while the blue book is definitely more "you'll have to go out and buy some poo poo, but your terrain will look absolutely amazing if you do and it'll still be cheaper than buying plastic kits."

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Goddamn, those sandbags look amazing, much better than the Tamiya ones I bought. What putty does the book recommend?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Iris of Ether check your PMs! I got a Blacksmith Forge for you :dance:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Iris of Ether check your PMs! I got a Blacksmith Forge for you :dance:

Hooray! I've responded. :D

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Goddamn, those sandbags look amazing, much better than the Tamiya ones I bought. What putty does the book recommend?

Since it's GW, Green Stuff. Just buy it as Kneadatite on e-bay and it's much cheaper.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm finally getting around to painting some of the MDF terrain I got from kickstarters, and I'm using it as an excuse to try out a few new things. Like painting 28mm graffiti!

These are pre-weathering/paint chipping/whatever, and I'll probably put on some more graffiti between weathering layers to give it a built-up look (I also haven't actually glued it together yet).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pierzak posted:

That last one would be great as seaweed. What is it and can you get it in brown?

Dill, and it can be dyed easily.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm finally getting around to painting some of the MDF terrain I got from kickstarters, and I'm using it as an excuse to try out a few new things. Like painting 28mm graffiti!

These are pre-weathering/paint chipping/whatever, and I'll probably put on some more graffiti between weathering layers to give it a built-up look (I also haven't actually glued it together yet).

That's some awesome graffiti there - I need to do the same thing to my many MDF ruined buildings just to break up the greyness.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Looks like a misspent youth finally paying dividends :v:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Who is DEF!? They seem pretty trigger happy with the spray.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Who is DEF!? They seem pretty trigger happy with the spray.
Someone who got busted for spraying MARINES LOL :v:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Pierzak posted:

Someone who got busted for spraying MARINES LOL :v:

DEF never learns.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I only just realise that it was probably going to be MARINES OUT.

:smith:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

ijyt posted:

"marines LOL" is much more fun and now I want to see that ob some terrain piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ijyt posted:

I was staring at the picture trying to wrap my brain around how a drawing from a book published in 1987 could possibly have used the word "LOL."

Also, I love how the Eye of Terror obviously contained punk rockers and only the Imperial Space Marine Police Force could bring order and stop random taggers.