Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angry Diplomat posted:

LASER TORNADO.

Any chance you could say which tier blocks & SMG these are? Or give a layout of some sort? That sounds fun, at least until I can manage to get a railgun and build one of those rear end in a top hat satellites. I just started the game today and Plasma Cannons are nice enough, but that sounds fun.

Speaking of satellites! What is a satellite in terms of Robocraft? It's a tiny little block of a ship with a can of helium attached (which mitigates weight) that floats up as high as it can. With as big of a railgun as you can fit on it. The railgun being a sniper rifle, basically. They're glass cannons however. One or two hits from the ground, *if* you can hit them, and they're dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Cartoon posted:

Not if he's lying :colbert:

The Pre-Sequel is only 10% off, not $10 off. That's six dollars! Griefed again!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's 10% off if you own the previous games but only until the end of this month which is still like two months away from launch when you find out if it's any good ACT NOW

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I'm pretty sure preordering the per-sequell is griefing yourself.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Pre-ordering games in general is griefing yourself :smugbert:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Here is a video from the Robocraft thread of the original Gunchair in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olCQTkEP2sI

Looks hilarious.

That looks awesome, you could make an entire game out of that concept.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Sammus posted:

That looks awesome, you could make an entire game out of that concept.
It's already been done.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Haystack posted:

SS13 reposts? Sure!

For context, there's several independent SS13 servers. The one in this story has whitelist of players who can play as cat furries. Yeah. There's apparently an application form involved.

This inspired me to head to the BestRP server and see how long I lasted as Catbeast Hunter, a man who had his foot (and many other limbs) eaten by those feline scum.

I didn't take any screenshots, but I went to another server afterwards and ended up getting permabrigged with both of my legs broken for catbeast hatespeech.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Mash posted:

This inspired me to head to the BestRP server and see how long I lasted as Catbeast Hunter, a man who had his foot (and many other limbs) eaten by those feline scum.

I didn't take any screenshots, but I went to another server afterwards and ended up getting permabrigged with both of my legs broken for catbeast hatespeech.

Well clearly it's your fault for not roleplaying correctly. :colbert:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Mash posted:

I'm fairly surprised how calmly that admin dealt with you.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Mash posted:

Holy gently caress that screenshot had me in stitches by the end.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Just Offscreen posted:

I want to think that the Admin was trying to find any reason to let him do his thing just to watch the mayhem.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Agean90 posted:

I want to think that the Admin was trying to find any reason to let him do his thing just to watch the mayhem.

Yeah, having been roped into being an admin for a little bit on a UO private shard, that is pretty much precisely what I did when someone was screwing with people and I, strictly speaking, should PROBABLY do something about him...but eh, I'm gonna finish my popcorn first.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Here is a video from the Robocraft thread of the original Gunchair in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olCQTkEP2sI

Looks hilarious.

I'm actually pretty impressed, that's a hell of a lot more practical than I would have thought. In my head I pictured it as a randomly spinning tornado of lasers that occasionally might hit someone, but that is actually somewhat precise.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm actually pretty impressed, that's a hell of a lot more practical than I would have thought. In my head I pictured it as a randomly spinning tornado of lasers that occasionally might hit someone, but that is actually somewhat precise.
That's probably helped by the fact that the gun seems to be more of a turret that turns to face the crosshairs.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

a randomly spinning tornado of lasers that occasionally might hit someone

This is a better description of the thing I built than the original gunchair, although my robot was more of a moderately-controllably spinning tornado of lasers that might occasionally hit someone.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Just Offscreen posted:

He actually seemed like a normal guy who was genuinely confused by my actions and trying to make some rationalizations of my whole character. On the other server (Paradise, I think?), one of the security guards lost their poo poo and started beating me to death after I called her a "BEAST LOVER". Her reasoning was that her character was triggered by racism.

Racism of space cat and lizard people. Beasts, I say!

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

This is a better description of the thing I built than the original gunchair, although my robot was more of a moderately-controllably spinning tornado of lasers that might occasionally hit someone.

Did you happen to make any videos of your creation in action?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Flying Fish posted:

Did you happen to make any videos of your creation in action?

I did not, sadly. I think I eventually scrapped it because I never won any matches, I just pissed everybody off real bad and made a handful of points from inconveniencing everyone. If I ever boot up Robocraft again I'll see if I can recreate it. I should still have the parts.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mash posted:

Why do the stupid newbie avatars keep changing? Dammit Lowtax! :shakefist:

But yeah, I was reading through the griefing thread and one of the SS13 stories there inspired me to take on the role of Catbeast Hunter, a man who takes no poo poo from those beastly scum. I rolled Captain and declared that anything not human must be immediately jettisoned into space, and essentially just pissing off everybody I came across, whether it was my allcaps or just general hatred of anything not my species.

I went to another server afterwards but forgot to take screenshots. I ended up getting permabrigged with both of my legs broken for catbeast hatespeech.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Yeah, it's a crosspost. I felt it was relevant in both threads, though.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

I did not, sadly. I think I eventually scrapped it because I never won any matches, I just pissed everybody off real bad and made a handful of points from inconveniencing everyone. If I ever boot up Robocraft again I'll see if I can recreate it. I should still have the parts.

Please do?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mash posted:

Yeah, it's a crosspost. I felt it was relevant in both threads, though.

hahaha it was already posted in here.

Sorry.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

Agreeing with the other guy, that sounds hilarious.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Apparently goons aren't the only people that have difficulty making the distinction between what is griefing and what is harassment/illegal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GurS7JI_1Kk&hd=1

5 years ago I might've blamed the victim simply for having his personal info available on the internet where some wierdo could find where he lives and pull something like that. But these days who can manage to stay completely anonymous on the internet? Looking up people's personal info and using it to harass them isn't cool guys. And in cases like this it's also dangerous and very illegal.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

It is the natural evolution of griefing. 2D > 3D > Real Life.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

And that raid pays out: 15 year old sentenced to 25 to life for swatting. Unfortunately the streamers dad got shot during the raid, but at least he's still alive.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ephphatha posted:

And that raid pays out: 15 year old sentenced to 25 to life for swatting. Unfortunately the streamers dad got shot during the raid, but at least he's still alive.

That's the National Report.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Why do motherfuckers like National Report and Daily Currant exist? The Onion isn't funny because it reports fake news, it's funny because it reports outlandish stories as the truth.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
gently caress that poo poo. SWATting is a hosed up thing to do, make no mistake, but I can't abide by children being tried as adults in any circumstance.

Nobody won today.

EDIT: gently caress, got NR'd

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Well gently caress, never heard of that site before and should've looked at their other articles.

DoctorWhat posted:

Nobody won today.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sanctum posted:

Apparently goons aren't the only people that have difficulty making the distinction between what is griefing and what is harassment/illegal.

5 years ago I might've blamed the victim simply for having his personal info available on the internet where some wierdo could find where he lives and pull something like that. But these days who can manage to stay completely anonymous on the internet? Looking up people's personal info and using it to harass them isn't cool guys. And in cases like this it's also dangerous and very illegal.

Holy poo poo there are some real sociopaths out there.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
What if someone from outside of the US does the swat calls? can something like that even be dealt with?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Dizz posted:

What if someone from outside of the US does the swat calls? can something like that even be dealt with?

I assume if from somewhere like Europe, they'd ask local police to investigate. It'd probably take longer, but eventually they'd get to you. Terrorist threats are a big deal, especially if you CALL the loving police and threaten them. Now if you called and said "this person has drugs!", they probably wouldn't bother. But if you said you killed someone, or were going to kill people, or had a bomb, etc., they'd find you.

And god I wish that NR article was real. :arghfist::(

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Sanctum posted:

That's hilarious. I hope the people who called the police get caught & punished, that's the only way this would be even funnier.

Edit: Swatting happens every once in a while, but this guy actually got subsequentely arrested for possessing marijuana: http://digitalwarfare247.com/topic/59000-whiteboy7thst-swatted-and-arrested-for-having-lots-of-dank-weed/
I feel bad for him.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

KiddieGrinder posted:

I assume if from somewhere like Europe, they'd ask local police to investigate. It'd probably take longer, but eventually they'd get to you. Terrorist threats are a big deal, especially if you CALL the loving police and threaten them. Now if you called and said "this person has drugs!", they probably wouldn't bother. But if you said you killed someone, or were going to kill people, or had a bomb, etc., they'd find you.

And god I wish that NR article was real. :arghfist::(

I'm curious to know if the caller was in somewhere like Russia or another country that wasn't exactly on good terms with the US. How would the authorities handle a situation like that?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Psygnosis posted:

I'm curious to know if the caller was in somewhere like Russia or another country that wasn't exactly on good terms with the US. How would the authorities handle a situation like that?

Russian authorities would probably pat the guy on the back and give him a bottle of vodka.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Where they're calling from is irrelevant because they use Caller ID spoofing so it looks like it's local.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Odobenidae posted:

Where they're calling from is irrelevant because they use Caller ID spoofing so it looks like it's local.

At some point, a connection is being made between them and the police. The phone company will know exactly what number was called from. If they used some sort of phone proxy service, that service will know where they called from. Whether or not the police can get that info or not is another thing. There is a record somewhere of where the phone call came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Or you buy a phone in another city for 30 bucks with 20 bucks worth of calls on it, pay in cash, and then call. No trace to your identity and since it's a burner you just dispose of it afterwards.

• Locked thread