Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

For those of you interested in open source investigations we've just published our latest case study, Gun Safety, Self Defense, and Road Marches – Finding an ISIS Training Camp, showing how ISIS propaganda photos can help find their training camps, in this case in Mosul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Global Post has released the last email IS sent to James Foley's family.

Name dropping Aafia Siddiqui is interesting. I thought that she was kind of yesterday's jihadist cause célèbre.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Brown Moses posted:

For those of you interested in open source investigations we've just published our latest case study, Gun Safety, Self Defense, and Road Marches – Finding an ISIS Training Camp, showing how ISIS propaganda photos can help find their training camps, in this case in Mosul.

Let me just say - top shelf, well done. This definitely looks like the work of an expert analyst. I always thought it was really tough to try to define the locations of photos like that.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Gen. Ripper posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: We tortured some folks > poo poo happened in The Middle East but let's talk about how America is basically Hitler

Pages ago when I responded to the "No Americans want beheadings" comment it was to say that these horrible actions are deep inside us all. There is no person, and certainly no nationality, whose existence isn't held up by piles of brutally murdered other humans. To think otherwise, especially to attribute such lofty qualities to a country or nationality, is crazy, and directly leads to more violence. It is important for us to try and remember all atrocities, but there are levels of greater importance above who-did-it-best comparisons. Moving on...

Wasn't there an American couple who went to Afghanistan or Syria or something recently thinking that all they needed to do was "be nice" and no-one would kidnap them? And then they were kidnapped...
e: The wonders of the internet! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_hostages_in_Afghanistan

Caitlan Coleman, Joshua Boyle, Afghanistan. At least they've got Iran between them (and their child.......) and ISIS...

i am harry fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 22, 2014

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Re: Stealth helicopters, I'd bet money that it was a HALO jump, and people on the ground just thought they came from helicopters, and helicopters came not long later for support and extraction. To silently get enough SFOD-D guys on the ground to overrun a prison? That's the way it normally goes when you have to fly over enemy territory and could be spotted anywhere, giving people a heads up Drop em from so high no one has any idea.

I highly doubt it. Parachuting in at night into enemy territory while trying to conduct a get-in and get-out raid is kind of a recipe for disaster, let alone doing it from high altitude.

Helicopters can actually be made pretty quiet.

quote:

"It was absolutely amazing just how quiet those copters were," recalls Don Stephens, who managed the Quiet One's secret base in Laos for the CIA. "I'd stand on the [landing pad] and try to figure out the first time I could hear it and which direction it was coming from. I couldn't place it until it was one or two hundred yards away." Says Rod Taylor, who served as project engineer for Hughes, "There is no helicopter today that is as quiet."

I bet that last line isn't true anymore.

Anyway, this thread made for a decent laugh this morning; it's like a clown car full of retards flipped over and spilled its occupants into the thread. Agent Orange being the worst crime against humanity ever, Saddam being described as a guy who was only trying to do right for his country, and the US being literally worst than Hitler. If I didn't know that there are some people who are stupid enough to literally believe and espouse that poo poo, I'd think it was a poor attempt at trolling.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

i am harry posted:

Pages ago when I responded to the "No Americans want beheadings" comment it was to say that these horrible actions are deep inside us all. There is no person, and certainly no nationality, whose existence isn't held up by piles of brutally murdered other humans. To think otherwise, especially to attribute such lofty qualities to a country or nationality, is crazy, and directly leads to more violence. It is important for us to try and remember all atrocities, but there are levels of greater importance above who-did-it-best comparisons. Moving on...

Beheading people is certainly something I would expect from people whose lives and families have been destroyed by the living hell that is Iraq for the past few decades. It's much more inexplicable when done by Western jihadists though, coming from liberal societies. I guess there's a moment for them where they hesitate, but then realise they're so far in it's either the guy in front of them or themselves, and after the first one what point is there in stopping now?

"I am in blood stepped in so far that should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o’er."

Exioce fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 22, 2014

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Let me just say - top shelf, well done. This definitely looks like the work of an expert analyst. I always thought it was really tough to try to define the locations of photos like that.

It's one of those things that becomes easier the more you do it. You look at a photo like those and you immediately know what you could find on a map, and you can quickly narrow down the search. Like the bridges in those photos, once you've got those it gives you a much more narrow area to search.

It's like with the James Foley execution, we've a good idea of where it was, the hills south of Raqqa, not too far away from a minor road, it's just a matter of finding the precise spot now.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

It's one of those things that becomes easier the more you do it. You look at a photo like those and you immediately know what you could find on a map, and you can quickly narrow down the search. Like the bridges in those photos, once you've got those it gives you a much more narrow area to search.

It's like with the James Foley execution, we've a good idea of where it was, the hills south of Raqqa, not too far away from a minor road, it's just a matter of finding the precise spot now.

I guess that makes sense, practice makes perfect, after all. I only tried a handful of times.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I guess that makes sense, practice makes perfect, after all. I only tried a handful of times.

It's worth reading the guides and case studies on Bellingcat, lots of different ideas about geolocating places, and I find sometimes it's easy to overlook something obvious. I'm trying to get more people involved in collaborative verifications as well, I find having a lot of people working on individual problem can be hugely valuable, something MH17 certainly proved.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

suboptimal posted:

Global Post has released the last email IS sent to James Foley's family.

Name dropping Aafia Siddiqui is interesting. I thought that she was kind of yesterday's jihadist cause célèbre.

ISIS Email posted:

You do not spare our weak, elderly, women or children so we will NOT spare yours!

i am harry posted:

Caitlan Coleman, Joshua Boyle, Afghanistan. At least they've got Iran between them (and their child.......) and ISIS...

Seeing all of this together just makes me feel ill. If these American journalist beheading's don't get the reaction IS wants, does anyone think they won't move on to the young or elderly, given the chance? Like someone said pages and pages ago, just about the time one thinks 'can it get any worse?!' something worse happens.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

It's worth reading the guides and case studies on Bellingcat, lots of different ideas about geolocating places, and I find sometimes it's easy to overlook something obvious. I'm trying to get more people involved in collaborative verifications as well, I find having a lot of people working on individual problem can be hugely valuable, something MH17 certainly proved.

Hahaha, I don't do that stuff anymore, I think I'll leave it to you guys. I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of stuff comes out of bellingcat.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Exioce posted:

Beheading people is certainly something I would expect from people whose lives and families have been destroyed by the living hell that is Iraq for the past few decades. It's much more inexplicable when done by Western jihadists though, coming from liberal societies. I guess there's a moment for them where they hesitate, but then realise they're so far in it's either the guy in front of them or themselves, and after the first one what point is there in stopping now?

"I am in blood stepped in so far that should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o’er."

It's as tough as killing cattle, specially if you don't consider your targets to be humans in the full extent of the word.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IAMKOREA posted:

Again: the brutal murder of a US journalist has caused many posters in this thread to call for stronger US military intervention. History has shown time and time again - from Bush's war in Iraq to the Vietnam war to the US war of aggression against Korea to the Invasion of Mexico that the US military is the greatest force of death, suffering, and misery. Period. The US military does not solve problems, it creates them.

If American can't even send troops to the part of the world that has the worst war atrocity righ now, whats the point of spending godzillions of dollars on military budget.

Obama's inactions in East Europe (sending 150 lol paratroopers on civilian bus to Poland amid Ukraine crisis) , Syria (Redline? What Redline. Assad gave up the chemical so its all cool) and South China Sea (you see our Japanese and Filipino friends won't be happy if we don't say "pivot to asia" and pretend we have a plan) theaters has shown him is a paper tiger. American's sidekick countries better embrace themselves for the next two years before a new US president take the office.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

whatever7 posted:

If American can't even send troops to the part of the world that has the worst war atrocity righ now, whats the point of spending godzillions of dollars on military budget.

The person you're talking to wants to return to isolationism.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

gimpfarfar posted:

I've heard rumours of this as well.

In an attempt to get back on topic, here's VICE News latest dispatch from Iraq, interviewing Peshmerga-fighters near the Mosul Dam:
http://youtu.be/ntOAW9DLBTE

Apparently, ISIS also suffered heavy casualties trying to take the last stronghold of the Assad regime in the Raqqa-region, the Tabaqa airfield, looks like the regime is holding out so far. Can't believe it's come to the point where I'm rooting for the regime, when up against ISIS.

Also, Iran has offered to step up their help fighting ISIS if nuclear sanctions are lifted. Here's the source:
http://www.businessinsider.com/iran-offers-help-with-isis-if-us-lifts-nuclear-sanctions-2014-8

Rooting for the regime in Raqqa and watching Iran and the US become de-facto allies. What a mess :(

Ha, its quite like Iran to turn everything into a bargain to extract concessions.

This sounds to me like a cheeky response to the French call for "all countries in the region" to respond to IS. The French have been a particular thorn in the side of Iran, and have consistently worked against Iran in the nuclear negotiations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Vernii posted:

I highly doubt it. Parachuting in at night into enemy territory while trying to conduct a get-in and get-out raid is kind of a recipe for disaster, let alone doing it from high altitude.

HALO jumps are basically always done at night into enemy territory. It's actually less dangerous because you can land a good ways away from the target and then walk up at your leisure.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

whatever7 posted:

Power is relative. In the grand scheme of things ISIS is irrelevant as they're unable to form the kind of state that can grow to modern levels economically and militarily. Contain them, and they will implode that much quicker, which appears to be the policy. America spends because of China and Russia. Of those, China is the more dangerous because it is the more patient and less adventurous.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

computer parts posted:

The person you're quoting is mad that Obama hasn't bombed enough people.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Phlegmish posted:

Pretty generous to call ISIS people.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
https://twitter.com/williamsjon/status/502827297938755584

US intel: #Foley video believed filmed over time. Words read by Foley on video not believed to have been his last, recorded at earlier time

This make a lot of sense. Wouldn't be surprised if they killed him some other first, either.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Ardennes posted:

Yeah I don't know why America and British imperialism would be at odds with each other since if anything they seemed to have flowed to some extent into each other after ww2.

Didn't the Vietnam War essentially have its roots in the failure of France to keep possession of French Indochina in the 1950s post-WWII and basically handed off the reins of the old Empire (along with Britain/etc) to the US to handle as the new superpower? I mean, wasn't that why increasing numbers of American advisers were started to be sent by the US to help meddle with France in Vietnam to begin with?

Obviously, it wasn't that direct or straight-forward, but would you agree that was the historical trajectory for America to step into the colonialist vacuum created with WWII and the wreckage of the Western states?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 22, 2014

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

Volkerball posted:

HALO jumps are basically always done at night into enemy territory. It's actually less dangerous because you can land a good ways away from the target and then walk up at your leisure.

Helicopters can get in quite close before you're heard and you're gonna have to ride them out anyway. So they probably just used helos as they would be the best plan for a hostage rescue and spec ops have a lot of experience with HAF(helicopter assault force) missions over the past decade. Even if you want to walk in quietly you can just go with an offset infil with the helos.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Didn't the Vietnam War essentially have its roots in the failure of France to keep possession of French Indochina in the 1950s post-WWII and basically handed off the reins of the old Empire (along with Britain/etc) to the US to handle as the new superpower? I mean, wasn't that why increasing numbers of American advisers were started to be sent by the US to help meddle with France in Vietnam to begin with?

Obviously, it wasn't that direct or straight-forward, but would you agree that was the historical trajectory for America to step into the colonialist vacuum created with WWII and the wreckage of the Western states?

France asked the US to come help it hold its territory, but the US told them to gently caress off.

Ho Chi Minh also asked the US to help out against the French, and was also told to gently caress off.

It wasn't until the Soviets and Chinese began arming the Viet Minh, that Truman (then Eisenhower) responded by arming South Vietnam and eventually committing to its defense.

Vietnam was not about empires or colonialism. It was a Cold War proxy war.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Phlegmish posted:

I'm pretty annoyed that America hasn't bombed the IS into oblivion, aye, as should all decent people.

Whether or not it's a credible policy is another question entirely but that doesn't change desire. And if we're throwing nuance to the wind and jumping onto the flag burning hysteria death to america train then gently caress it, why not articulate desires as opposed to policy. Lord knows y'all are.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

computer parts posted:

Isolationism is no longer an option if Ametica has moved beyond/no longer respect the Westphalian nation state principle and actively engage in regime change.

Phlegmish posted:

Bombing people is only thing America good at externally anyway. Its not like america can help 3rd world countries build highways and railways like China do.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

whatever7 posted:

whats the point of spending godzillions of dollars on military budget.

The point is to funnel taxpayer dollars into MIC pockets. Should be obvious.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

whatever7 posted:

Obama's inactions in East Europe (sending 150 lol paratroopers on civilian bus to Poland amid Ukraine crisis) , Syria (Redline? What Redline. Assad gave up the chemical so its all cool) and South China Sea (you see our Japanese and Filipino friends won't be happy if we don't say "pivot to asia" and pretend we have a plan) theaters has shown him is a paper tiger. American's sidekick countries better embrace themselves for the next two years before a new US president take the office.

What's the point of having this superb military that you're always talking about if we can't use it?

- Madeleine Allbright To Colin Powell, then chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, in the 1990s, on Bosnia, recounted in Madam Secretary (2003), p. 182

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

euphronius posted:

What's the point of having this superb military that you're always talking about if we can't use it?

- Madeleine Allbright To Colin Powell, then chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, in the 1990s, on Bosnia, recounted in Madam Secretary (2003), p. 182

I, too, yearn for the days when Donald Rumsfeld & Co. led the charge to assert our agenda militarily around the world.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Cool, dehumanization, always a great way to approach foreign policy.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

euphronius posted:

Was this said before or after they bombed the Chinese Embassy?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Volkerball posted:

That's the scariest part of everything about ISIS. They're not mindless murder machines, they're human beings with human thoughts and emotions, just the same as you and I.

It's a much more terrifying thought to think that regular human beings can do the sort of things that they're doing. No point in dehumanizing them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Was this said before or after they bombed the Chinese Embassy?

Iirc the 90s it was before, when Albright was trying to talk the administration into taking action against Serbia. The most recent prototype "humanitarian" military action.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

hepatizon posted:

Cool, dehumanization, always a great way to approach foreign policy.

To be fair, he was using "people" as a euphemism.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Thump! posted:

That's the scariest part of everything about ISIS. They're not mindless murder machines, they're human beings with human thoughts and emotions, just the same as you and I.

It's a much more terrifying thought to think that regular human beings can do the sort of things that they're doing. No point in dehumanizing them.

If they're psychopaths, which they probably are considering that many of them sought out ISIS and joined it rather than growing up under its reign, then they literally do not have human thoughts and emotions in the same way we do. I would go so far as to say that many of the ISIS hardcore fighters who are responsible for major atrocities really shouldn't be considered human.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh come on now can we talk about the ME without devolving into nationalist hate speech.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
In Diyala today Asaaib Ahl Alhak, a pro-government militia in Iraq went into a mosque and executed 73 people attending Friday prayers, including the Imam.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

OctaMurk posted:

If they're psychopaths, which they probably are considering that many of them sought out ISIS and joined it rather than growing up under its reign, then they literally do not have human thoughts and emotions in the same way we do. I would go so far as to say that many of the ISIS hardcore fighters who are responsible for major atrocities really shouldn't be considered human.

Considering mentally-ill people subhuman was a keystone of eugenics, hope this helps

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Muffiner posted:

In Diyala today Asaaib Ahl Alhak, a pro-government militia in Iraq went into a mosque and executed 73 people attending Friday prayers, including the Imam.

The hell for? Is this Shia on Sunni violence or just a new turn towards an even shittier situation?

OctaMurk posted:

Would you consider putting them into camps so that they could concentrate on the atrocities they've committed?

this is the worst derail yet, by far; let's have a new tangent about what the worst derail is!

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

OctaMurk posted:

Having a severe psychological trauma and disability does not remove the humanity of people. They're still members of our species and they still have a functioning human brain inside their skulls, however warped their psyches may be.

In the same sense that Nazis were human beings doing absolutely atrocious actions, ISIS is a group of people, not subhuman monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

S.T.C.A. posted:

Would you consider putting them into camps so that they could concentrate on the atrocities they've committed?

this is the worst derail yet, by far; let's have a new tangent about what the worst derail is!
You know, I was actually thinking we'd just continue bombing them all. This is not analagous to putting retarded people in concentration camps, this is a group of "people" with an untreatable mental illness that is literally committing genocide and which will not negotiate reasonable terms in good faith.

• Locked thread