Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I sit a few feet from my monitor, so wireless accessories are nice. Anyone know if I can plug Microsoft's 360 headset into the wireless 360 controller? Google's giving me contradictory answers.

You sure can! Even the wireless 360 microphone works. Everything I have tried with the wireless PC adapter has worked great. I use my Turtle Beach headset for Skype all the time. I use my 360 arcade stick too, which is pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ColoradoCleric posted:

I saw Commandos was on sale right now for pretty cheap, does it work on modern systems? Anything else worth looking at on sale right now?

Commandos 2 still works, it's a little rough though but I believe there's a way to get it to run at modern resolutions at least. The netcode is mostly worthless unfortunately, but that's nothing new. Great game if you've got the patience to learn the controls.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah, saw the "add attachment" two seconds after I posted that. gently caress, I'm stupid.

I fell victim to a scam where I was asked to upload an SSFN file. I didn't know what it was at the time, but now I know it's the file that Steam uses to recognize that your computer is legit, and that it doesn't need to re-apply for Steam Guard. I'm a loving dumbass, I know for a fact.

so did they already have your login info and just needed steam to recognize them as a trusted computer?

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Awesome! posted:

so did they already have your login info and just needed steam to recognize them as a trusted computer?

Apparently phishers are using fake login pages and then asking people to upload ssfn files instead of using the standard code that usually gets emailed. https://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2014/04/phishers-bypass-steam-guard-protection/

I assume that's what he's done.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ColoradoCleric posted:

I saw Commandos was on sale right now for pretty cheap, does it work on modern systems? Anything else worth looking at on sale right now?

If you feel like trying adventure games or hidden object games, respectively, The Journey Down Chapter 1 and The Tiny Bang Story are both pretty good examples of the genre. Most hidden object games tend toward looking around rooms of a building or something but Tiny Bang Story takes a but more creative approach to its aesthetic and throw in some super chill music and you have a relatively easy to get into HO/puzzle game.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Aristophanes posted:

Apparently phishers are using fake login pages and then asking people to upload ssfn files instead of using the standard code that usually gets emailed. https://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2014/04/phishers-bypass-steam-guard-protection/

I assume that's what he's done.

Yeah, this is exactly it. I had no idea what an ssfn file was before. Now I know.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Wow, Tiny Barbarian is really good. I have no idea about any of the other games in that bundle, but I've already gotten my money's worth from this game alone.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Wow, Tiny Barbarian is really good. I have no idea about any of the other games in that bundle, but I've already gotten my money's worth from this game alone.

Full Bore is really really fuckin fun.

Also there's tons of secrets and hidden stuff, and it's a small enough game that I can't find a walkthrough so I actually have to solve all the puzzles instead of just looking them up when I get too frustrated

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Croccers posted:

Oh jesus, that thing. Why did you remind me.

I've been playing Darkwind: War On Wheels. It's less of a video game and more a digitized tabletop game. It's Car Wars: The RPG Video Game, the computer does all the hard movement stuff for you but that's it mostly.
Getting a thing/race/deathrace/combat/scout in general started is confusing. You need to bounce between your Browser/Steam Web and the Game Client to organize cars and your gang and whatever. You have to wait on the game, the game doesn't wait for you, etc.

Also the damage your gangers can take have a Space Station 13 level of "Not needed but great" detail. Like crashing so hard your face mashes into your brain.

Permadeath for your gang members, injuries everywhere (From bruised ribs to losing toes from shrapnel), drug addictions.

It's not for most people at all but if you're into that kind of thing, it's cool.

Huh sounds and looks janky as hell but if I can put up with it, this sounds like my kind of poo poo.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Something I just noticed about, and do not like about Humble Bundle purchases, is that the default split, splits the money amongst all games in the bundle even ones you don't unlock with your purchase.

They do provide a slider where you can adjust your purchase to however you see fit, if you choose to customize rather than use the default split, but I was not happy to see 40% of the developer's split on my (more than 1.00 but less than 6.00) purchase go towards the two games in the 6.00+ tier.

To me that doesn't seem right, to be the default way of doing things.

edit: maybe there is more to it, maybe the 'default' split changes at higher price points, but it surprised me to see 1/5 go to each of the 5 games in the bundle at the 3 game tier

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 26, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
To the guy playing Dishonored: If you feel like savescumming to stay stealthy by all means go for it but you also shouldn't feel bad if you get caught from time to time. The best thing about the game is that it'll be fun no matter how you play it (some would argue it's more fun going lethal from time to time) so I'd suggest just rolling with it. Unless you really want the low chaos ending I guess.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

To redeem having to endure my whining, here's a copy of Super Wagon Adventure (Turbo Edition)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I somehow managed to get a Humble Link before anybody else, thanks Mr. Nobody.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Glad I gave Alpha Protocol a second chance, the Rome section was pretty cool. I don't know whose bright idea it was making the pistol less accurate than a shotgun from long range. Kind of wish I could patch it so I had 99 accuracy or something. It's really annoying to aim perfectly and have the shot go wide by 10 feet. I've found hand to hand combat to be the most effective so far.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Quest For Glory II posted:

Glad I gave Alpha Protocol a second chance, the Rome section was pretty cool. I don't know whose bright idea it was making the pistol less accurate than a shotgun from long range. Kind of wish I could patch it so I had 99 accuracy or something. It's really annoying to aim perfectly and have the shot go wide by 10 feet. I've found hand to hand combat to be the most effective so far.

I fuckin' dominated with a pistol. I don't know what you're talking about regarding it being frustrating.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Pistol + stealth is pretty much easy mode in AP.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So is Super Time Force Ultra worth it?

If you're still looking for opinions on it I've played a little bit of it today and it's pretty fun, the controls seem really good and that other guy is right, it's more of a puzzle game than a full on shooter

It has a very "internet-y" sense of humor though so if you're turned off by that you may not like that part of it.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Quest For Glory II posted:

If you wait for a critical hit, you'll always be 100% accurate. That's really the only way to go when using pistols. That combined with chain shot make them easily the most powerful weapon in the game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you're not using the 'line up a bunch of super accurate pistol shots' ability with your handgun in Alpha Protocol, you're doing it wrong.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SynthOrange posted:

If you're not using the 'line up a bunch of super accurate pistol shots' ability with your handgun in Alpha Protocol, you're doing it wrong.

Shotgun and Room Sweep is a silly and effective way to play. Plus since you're only shooting people and then stomping on their throats it's fairly nonlethal.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got One Finger Death Punch from the Weekly Humble Bundle, mostly because I had heard good things, but holy poo poo it is a legit good game. Look cheap, but it is extremely fun!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Drifter posted:

I fuckin' dominated with a pistol. I don't know what you're talking about regarding it being frustrating.
In the beginning it takes a while to line up a shot and just shooting at will gives you the accuracy of a drunk uncle. I'd just like the shot to go where the laser sight is pointed. I don't want to have to wait 5 seconds while this cursor slowly turns red before doing it.

I also want to vouch for Full Bore in the 24 hour Humble Bundle, it's cute and it just drops you into the world and you can explore non-linearly, ala Fez. There's also computer terminals with emails if that's your thing. It's not obtuse or eccentric like Fez though, it's very bread and butter puzzling, pushing blocks, digging, climbing, stomping, etc.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 26, 2014

Damegane
May 7, 2013
It's a weapon class that's only supposed to be used in stealth. Or "stealth", when you multishot the whole room in a split second. If you don't want to wait for your silent 1 hit kill headshot, then just bring one of the other 3 weapon classes and go hog wild.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I was looking through my library and had forgotten I owned Broken Age, looks like they're shooting for a end of year release for the second half of the game. Looking forward to finally playing them both.

I'll finally get to play them both. Longest episode release ever. I wonder how long between parts The Longest Journey will take.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Probably decades.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Huh sounds and looks janky as hell but if I can put up with it, this sounds like my kind of poo poo.
It's totally super-jank but has great moments. The hardest thing for new players is getting into an Event. For example you pick a Non-League Race from the Coming Events list, you register for the race, select your car and gang dudes and finalize the register.... and nothing happens. What most vets in the game don't say is you need to wait for the event to actually start too. Picking an event looks something like this:
Non-League Race (SS, 4, 6min)
Non-League Combat (SS, 2, 10min)
Quali for Deathrace League (GW, 0, 1hr 20min)

First part is just the name of the event. There's leagues and ladders and custom run events and all that jazz.
-The first thing in the brackets is the event location. SS is where you start and where most of the players seem to be. If you don't have any gang members in GW (Or whatever it is), you can't enter the event.
-Second is just the amount of human players that have registered for the event. Note that you don't have to actually turn up if the event. If you register but don't show, the AI will control your car/gangers for you, this can be a good/bad thing.
-Third is important. It's how long until the event actually starts up. You join for something over an 1 hour away, you have to wait until the event starts to actually play it.
This is the biggest hang up for new players. Vets roll off how to register for an event but never mention you have to wait for it to start. To Vets, this is a normal thing but for Average Q New-From-Steam-Guy they want to know why their game isn't starting nownownownownow.

Story time though:
Today I was returning back from a Scout event (Players vs. NPC Gang combat), nearly everyone scored a beaten up loot car too after shirting a fight that wasn't in our favour. They spawned 15 behind use, we had 13 cars and most of them rentals, not to mention it was a sand map. After running away for a bit we managed to turn the tide of the fight and we didn't even lose a car. I shot a fleeing-in-foot ganger in the head with my Car Rifle too. Someone else ran another guy down and instantly out him into a coma. One of the Vets got his guy out of his car and was just wrecking poo poo up with his rifle.

Unfortunately we pulled a Return event (Combat event on the trip back to town). This means you're fighting fresh gang cars in your own beat up damaged, low-ammo cars. So we decided to bolt for the Town Gates instead.
Now I had a pretty easy time, my rental was mostly undamaged and my loot car was also in good shape so I was able to get there easy. But one other guy. He had a rental plus two loot cars. He flipped one car on the first bend, lost his second car turning around to recover the first, and his third when trying to limp away with his banged-up looted truck.
Some of the more experienced guys hung back to slow the attacking gang down, an armoured up van and SUV. They kept on telling us to run, don't worry about them, they can break off and escape easily. They chipped in some cash to the guy that lost his rental and his two loot cars to cover some cost for his bad luck.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Someone evil Russian hacked into my Humble account and redeemed all my unredeemed games :'(

I don't know whether I should be pissed off, eventually I would've posted them here and they would've been lurked by another Russian.

EDIT: Also, they unlinked my Steam account, and now I'm paranoid that if I link it again they might steal my password. Is this a possibility if I just changed my HB password?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Friend of mine just got his Steam account hijacked by virtue of never having wanted to bother with SteamGuard. This was on Wednesday. Still waiting to have any sort of reply from support, automated or otherwise.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This is probably a good time to mention that mobile-based two-factor authentication is coming to Steam at some point.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
What is there to even "bother" about Steam Guard, isn't it on by default? I don't think I've ever even noticed it.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Kanfy posted:

What is there to even "bother" about Steam Guard, isn't it on by default? I don't think I've ever even noticed it.

It turned on automatically for some people, not so much for others. Because Steam.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Well I at least just made sure Steamguard was on, especially since someone is constantly trying to log into my Rift account, of all things.

Like, I don't even care if they log into it, as long as I'm not paying for it. Still, the principle of the thing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Also, its music is really good.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Platinum Games announced earlier today that their Legend of Korra game will come out October 21st. So now there's a definite release date for that. It's surprisingly close.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Pretty short turnaround from when it was announced.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Hey, shoutouts to Testekill for gifting me a copy of betrayer. It was something I had been circling around pulling the trigger on too. Thanks!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

This reminds me – was the second season of the show any better? The first one was very disappointing, compared to the original series.

In any case, I expect the game to be good since it's Platinum we're talking about.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

This reminds me – was the second season of the show any better? The first one was very disappointing, compared to the original series.

The first season of Korra is much, much better than the second, and is pretty good up until the last two episodes. Season 3 just finished airing and while not quite as good as the first season, it's pretty great. None of them are as good as TLA, so just tailor your expectations. :(

Basically skip s02 and watch s03.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 26, 2014

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy fuuuuuuuuuck an actually good looking Avatar game is finally coming out.
Oh man.
Oh God.
:holy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The Crew Beta keys.

LLTX-736A-BARN-V4BF

HMPM-P8BB-WQCV-LJBY

MMMK-ELV9-8L37-H9W3

• Locked thread