Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

The_Cack posted:

I actually do learn some stuff from those videos because I don't play every game that comes out so when you see how prevalent the violence against women is it is pretty eye opening :shobon:

Guarantee you there's more violence towards men in video games. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I think about, oh, 90% of violence in games is directed at male, or male-like characters. Makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm pretty sure I'd have an aneurysm if I knew the exact number since I believe it to be $49M or something

Last I saw it was at thirty five million dollars, scared to go look myself.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Guarantee you there's more violence towards men in video games. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I think about, oh, 90% of violence in games is directed at male, or male-like characters. Makes you think.
no not really. it's been said before but women don't have as much agency as men and they are sex objects foremost. sorry that revelation makes people supermad

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

this post is problematic

mansplainin' n malegazin'

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm pretty sure I'd have an aneurysm if I knew the exact number since I believe it to be $49M or something

It's $52 million now lol

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
lotta manshamin' going on

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
fifty two million for a game that doesnt exist.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Rad Tad posted:

is benghazi better or worse than my uncle who works at nintendo and loves to jack it

That Lemon Demon dude keeps calling this "Gamers Benghazi" as an insult.

I'm confused about his logic, thinking of him all I remember is that helldump meltdown lol.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

In Sleeping Dogs I beat an old Chinese woman. Threw her into the trunk, parked the car next to a hotdog stand, and blew up the hotdog stand vendors little propane tank killing a whole poo poo load of Chinese people and making the car explode.

Prob a real situation that could happen to any woman walking the street.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
It's totally possible to have something be perfectly accessible all while still talking about wider, more complex issues. Even if in brief. Certainly, violence against women is not only common in popular media, but often sexualized. It can't hurt to explore more of why this is the case and connect it to larger social issues. I wasn't that unwilling to have a conversation about stuff when I was a freshman in college, if that's being used as the barometer here.

Probably should also add that I was incredulous when gamers got angry over games journalism being a joke. Most "games journalists" are bad writers and their sites are often, and obviously, held afloat by being buddy-buddy with companies in the industry. It's a big circle, no shock there. Gamers are losers

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007
gently caress Kickstarter, gently caress Patreon. When all your income comes from making people on the internet care enough about you that they'll give you money the best way to do that is to be really loud and annoying so some people hate you and then other people love you.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Didn't someone leak one of Anita's college presentation videos where she admits she didn't like videogames and never really played them or something, i remember the NOT A TRUE GAMER crowd acting like it was the piece of evidence that would destroy her. nothing happened so i dunno if it was even real or not, but people sure got really mad over it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Supernorn posted:

It's $52 million now lol

Also they took down the donation tracker bar so that they can always claim they just need a little more money.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

legion989 posted:

Couldn't find a better straight on shot of her face.

lol, cause her face is like the ark don't look directly at it

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Hermetian posted:

the best way to do that is to be really loud and annoying so some people hate you and then other people love you.

I've got the first bit down to an art. Now if only I can get people to send me money.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's closing in on $53 million.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

big duck equals goose posted:

In Sleeping Dogs I beat an old Chinese woman. Threw her into the trunk, parked the car next to a hotdog stand, and blew up the hotdog stand vendors little propane tank killing a whole poo poo load of Chinese people and making the car explode.

It's purely fictional, all Chinese women were killed in abortions years ago.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

No, this isn't some "true gamer" bullshit that you get from reddit, either, I just think it more than a bit suspicious that a woman makes a poo poo load of money to put forward a feminist critique off video games, releases her videos at an absolute snail's pace and makes no greater critiques besides "Boy, Damsels in Distress are kind of lame, why can't the damsels do stuff instead?" which is like...I dunno...just struck me as a little weak? Especially since she uses Peach and Zelda as examples--Peach, who has been playable in Mario games numerous times and Zelda, who is among the most powerful and important beings IN the Zelda universe, and...

Like, a lack of agency does not diminish nor weaken a woman's importance in the plot by default. Look at Skyler White in Breaking Bad--and ignoring the actress decrying those who disliked her as misogynists, at least for the moment. She has very little agency throughout the story, and by season 5 she is essentially a hostage to the plot that by and large requires her in no meaningful way, but her importance to the show is not lessened because her lack of agency presents a great deal of the emotional angst of the surrounding characters' descent into evil. As she slowly loses her moral high ground and enters into illegal dealings like Walt does--with even LESS actual success--her lack of agency is not a prop to objectify her with poor writing, but an actual literal and metaphorical binding that shackles her to the ongoing train wreck that her life has become.

I thought the points she made about Zeldas rang true: Zelda can only have agency when disguised, not as a herself. While the reduction of agency in itself is not a problem, the pervasiveness of it, and the ways it continues to manifest makes video games tell women: the important women in this story are passive, while the men are active. The listing is important, as that is the quantification of how this message is common. I have not seen breaking bad, so I have no idea how Skyler is portrayed, but showing that there are legitimate ways of using lack of agency as a plot point does not render the structural argument (e.g. video game creators do not write stories well and resort to structural sexism) moot.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

big duck equals goose posted:

https://www.patreon.com/oldchinesewoman

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Star Citizen

$2,134,374 pledged of $500,000
34,397 backers

Nah bro let's get back to being angry at snarkeezian for not making her videos as opposed to some dumb star wars clone that'll never be released :mrapig:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Supernorn posted:

It's $52 million now lol

wat

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

decent

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

how did this get 800 posts since yesterday. what are you guys even talking about

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Parallax Scroll posted:

how did this get 800 posts since yesterday. what are you guys even talking about

tumbleweed

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.patreon.com/zoe

She makes more than I do in a month working 50 hours a week protecting the woods while she sits on her rear end

i am real mad it's a monthly payment

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

NotAnArtist posted:

Star Citizen

34,397 backers

Nah bro let's get back to being angry at snarkeezian for not making her videos as opposed to some dumb star wars clone that'll never be released :mrapig:

star citizen gets poo poo on all the time wtf are you on about

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
Destroying your hobby? Looks like it's time to get a new hobby.

Come on, guys. Let's grab some Doritos, a 12 pack of Mountain Dew and do some knitting until 1am.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I'm not really upset that Sarkeesian gets all that money, since projects with media coverage gets overfunded on kickstarter all the time, but I am pretty drat happy that the only thing I ever donated money to on kickstarter was a drama project.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I can't wait for Star Citizen to reach the top ten best selling games of all time without actually shipping a single copy.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

NotAnArtist posted:

Star Citizen

34,397 backers

You would think both of these people could get together and find harmony with each other on the fact that they love pissing away money on really terrible ideas.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Didn't someone leak one of Anita's college presentation videos where she admits she didn't like videogames and never really played them or something, i remember the NOT A TRUE GAMER crowd acting like it was the piece of evidence that would destroy her. nothing happened so i dunno if it was even real or not, but people sure got really mad over it.

I think it was just her general lack of knowledge about the situations she was citing in her videos that gave it away and then she later admitted she wasn't into video games.

The problem with using that against her is that it really doesn't matter if she plays games or not, I can still point out sexism on a TV show I don't watch based on a clip on YouTube, it works the same way for games. The problem is that she's trying to tell people who do know about these games why they are sexist and getting facts wrong, or over emphasizing a single scene from the game as if it is a repeated scenario. Because of that it's sort of like when CNN picks up on a viral video two weeks after it was popular and the reporter tries to sound like they are interested or knowledgeable about the thing.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Abu Dave posted:

http://www.patreon.com/zoe

She makes more than I do in a month working 50 hours a week protecting the woods while she sits on her rear end

i am real mad it's a monthly payment

yeah but you got all that privilege this just helps even things out

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Azraelle posted:

I thought the points she made about Zeldas rang true: Zelda can only have agency when disguised, not as a herself. While the reduction of agency in itself is not a problem, the pervasiveness of it, and the ways it continues to manifest makes video games tell women: the important women in this story are passive, while the men are active. The listing is important, as that is the quantification of how this message is common. I have not seen breaking bad, so I have no idea how Skyler is portrayed, but showing that there are legitimate ways of using lack of agency as a plot point does not render the structural argument (e.g. video game creators do not write stories well and resort to structural sexism) moot.

Acceptable, and there's no arguing against the fact that Zelda was largely relegated to the role of every other primary female role in the 80's--be it your girlfriend or the princess or whatever. However, it is fair to also say that the portrayals of these Princesses have changed dramatically since those days--where a degree of simplicity was required by limitations of the hardware. There were games--like Metroid--who had active women characters too, and numerous games of the subsequent generation featured male or female characters you could choose from. And from Wind Waker onwards, Zelda herself has been a very active character in the game's events.

It's just annoying to suggest that this is a problem pervasive in games, because it really isn't. There are LOADS of kick-rear end girl characters in games. Fighting game rosters tend to have fighters from both genders, as do racing games. Really, the biggest area of "men's club" gaming that I know to exist is in the realm of first-person shooters (and licensed sports games since nobody pays money to see the REAL WNBA, let alone play the fake computer version), and I would not be surprised if the vast majority of these toxic gamers who harass people and poo poo come from the CoD circles.

And this is to say nothing of games where you can build your own character, and thus make a woman to your specifications who is just as able as male characters are.

Lazyfire posted:

I think it was just her general lack of knowledge about the situations she was citing in her videos that gave it away and then she later admitted she wasn't into video games.

The problem with using that against her is that it really doesn't matter if she plays games or not, I can still point out sexism on a TV show I don't watch based on a clip on YouTube, it works the same way for games. The problem is that she's trying to tell people who do know about these games why they are sexist and getting facts wrong, or over emphasizing a single scene from the game as if it is a repeated scenario. Because of that it's sort of like when CNN picks up on a viral video two weeks after it was popular and the reporter tries to sound like they are interested or knowledgeable about the thing.

It matters in that she lied about it, and that now she, a non-gamer, is being asked by game developers to help them make their games. It'd be like if somebody made a commentary about how there's an issue of race in the NFL (why no Asians!?), but doesn't actually watch football or know anything about the game, and is then paid by the NFL to make a team (all Asians!) without any knowledge of what makes a functioning team.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 28, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Hermetian posted:

gently caress Kickstarter, gently caress Patreon. When all your income comes from making people on the internet care enough about you that they'll give you money the best way to do that is to be really loud and annoying so some people hate you and then other people love you.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
if SA someday randomly decides to fund someone's life for no reason whatsoever aside from irony I call dibs as the recipient

me and doobs

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NotAnArtist posted:

Star Citizen

34,397 backers

Two million one hundred thirty four thousand three hundred seventy four dollars

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

cosb's doobies

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, she makes lots of little mistakes that betray her lack of knowledge. It undermines her points when she attempts to note these broad spectrum problems but can't accurately identify which games do and don't suffer from them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I never gave a gently caress about the subject matter of sarkeesians poo poo but it's funny to me how she made 0.069565217391304starcitizens off of being harassed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Dooby received death threats on twitter and now is living in his truck scared of a @SamWaterson who threatened to shove a frogdog in his butthole...

• Locked thread